• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luminous Studios is dead

Luigi Mario

Huh? I saw certain people were saying that the game was actually doing quite well all things considered... There was even a topic about it here a few weeks back.
In reality though, it sounds like the game was a total sales disaster if Luminous will already be absorbed into Square Enix not even four months after the game's release.

Last edited:

begotten

Its crazy how much money and freedom a new start up studio was given within S-E.

They weren't really a start-up when you look at the people involved at least early on.

But yeah, even IF Forspoken was decent this studio was never going to get another project greenlit given the reported internal issues.

7 year development, Forspoken changing constantly, key people moving, saying Forspoken is what FF15 combat was going to be basically admitting FF15 was shit.

The engine aside, it was weird to even give this team an identity.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm glad to see they can be absorbed into Square Enix. The engine didn't pan out like they hoped but I greatly enjoyed Forspoken

Bring on the In Tanta We Trust DLC

Griffon

Celebrate Rest In Peace GIF by Jason Clarke

MOTM

Banned
Huh? I saw certain people were saying that the game was actually doing quite well all things considered... There was even a topic about it here a few weeks back.
In reality though, it sounds like the game was a total sales disaster if Luminous will already be absorbed into Square Enix not even four months after the game's release.

Some guy was even trying to point out how it outsold Hi-Fi rush (a shadow dropped gamepass game) as proof it was a blockbuster 😂

SE need to keep things simple, the way Capcom does. Make AAA games from big IP’s and your occasional AA game here and there, don’t try to be something you aren’t, Forget the GAAS, games for a "modern audience" and all that rubbish.

UnNamed

Banned
Luminoso engine was really powerful... back in the day.
But like every Japanese company, SE wasted too much time to produce it, during the making of FF15 with all the problems they take, and then take further time to finish it despite it wasn't flexible in the first place , but at that point Unity and UE were at another level.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Well at least they aren’t getting laid off and are just getting integrated into the other parts of Square

That team just wasn’t well managed, but I’m sure there’s plenty of talent
Unfortunately such mergers always result in some layoffs due to some low-level positions becoming redundant. Probably not enough in this case to qualify for mass layoffs and therefore, not news-worthy.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's what's gonna happen when over $100 million budget being wasted on shitty game like Forspoken.

Please don't let this guy see this news.
rofif rofif
Forspoken was pretty good. FF XV was also good.
I like the weird non unreal engine engine but they probably took too long to develop games

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Forspoken was just an agressively mediocre game in too many ways. They certainly tried their best but trying hard doesn't automatically give a dev team artistic skills.
It was fine. Not perfect, sure.... but the combat and open world movement is very enjoyable and fresh.

The problems around that game are not with the game itself. It's the twitter mob and bad marketing. I doubt many people would notice "bad dialogue" if not for the twitter crap honestly. It's not even 10% as annoying as atomic heart.

And tbh - it got the same japanese quirkiness vibe as ff 15

Man SE doesn't fuck around. Square ain't soft anymore. Not surprising after the casual garbage that is Forspoken, but still they're sending a message to their internal teams.

"If we can let go of Crystal, we can reshuffle and merge Luminous as well. Whether you've developed our flagship IP's or not, is irrelevant here. Bring profits or fade into the air."

Holy shit.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The problems around that game are not with the game itself. It's the twitter mob and bad marketing. I doubt many people would notice "bad dialogue" if not for the twitter crap honestly.
It wasn't just that. When the demo dropped these sentiments were mirrored by many, i.e. console visuals and performance is lackluster, the combat despite being flashy isn't really that fun, the open world is bland, the main character and dialogue is cringe and annoying, etc. etc.

For me personally it was the demo that killed my interest. If that's the slice of the game they've chosen to sell me on it then no thanks, I don't want it. Twitch clips showcasing just how bad the dialogue gets in this game was only the final nail in the coffin.

Last edited:

lyan

Some guy was even trying to point out how it outsold Hi-Fi rush (a shadow dropped gamepass game) as proof it was a blockbuster 😂

SE need to keep things simple, the way Capcom does. Make AAA games from big IP’s and your occasional AA game here and there, don’t try to be something you aren’t, Forget the GAAS, games for a "modern audience" and all that rubbish.
GAAS is what most of their profits come from (ff14 and the mobile games).

CunningPlan

Neo Member
GAAS is what most of their profits come from (ff14 and the mobile games).
Which is why I don't understand their desperation to push out more sub par GAAS games. They have one of the most successful subscription games on the market. Supplemented with high quality AA and AAA single player offerings and they're onto a winner.

SJRB

Gold Member
It was fine. Not perfect, sure.... but the combat and open world movement is very enjoyable and fresh.

The problems around that game are not with the game itself. It's the twitter mob and bad marketing. I doubt many people would notice "bad dialogue" if not for the twitter crap honestly. It's not even 10% as annoying as atomic heart.

And tbh - it got the same japanese quirkiness vibe as ff 15

"Fine" is good enough for an indie title that cost 20 bucks on Steam.

But for a big studio big budget 70 euro pricetag, "fine" is a disaster. Also blaming twitter mob is poor reasoning. Twitter mobs didn't stop Hogwarts Legacy or Atomic Heart from selling gangbusters. You're not seriously thinking a meme video in twitter stopped millions of people from buying this game, do you?

Forspoken just wasn't good enough. It happens.

Top Bottom