• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luminous Studios is dead

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sony didn’t pay for the entire development though since it’s not fully exclusive

Either way it’s a massive amount of money when you’re paying to keep a game off another platform for two entire years. You no doubt have to make up for the lost sales potential of that time.

So I just don’t believe they need 6-8 million in sales just to break even.

Synless

Millions wasted on a bad engine. Most of these developers should just use Unreal.
I disagree, it’s nice to have an engine to like Unreal for maybe your B tier games and some larger scope AA games. Great for efficiency but people are not pushing any envelopes by using the off the shelf shit.

want to see gaming graphics get stagnant? Let their be only one or two engines that people fall to, you will see it.

Kurotri

I JUST KILLED A GAME STUDIO WITH MY FREAKIN MIND
blob.jpg

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Millions wasted on a bad engine. Most of these developers should just use Unreal.

Bad luck to the team.

However, long live bespoke engines that are finely tuned and take the best advantage of console hardware. We shouldn't not innovate. I hope most studios don't go Unreal.

gundalf

How do you run this 10 years ago all in real time and end up with Forspoken.

IMHO the character Frey as she is in Forspoken would work much better in the world of Agni's Philosophy where she is part of the religious underworld of the slums and what not.

hussar16

I'm not sure I get what happened here. Luminous was a subsidiary of Square Enix already. They're not getting sold to SQEnix, so what changed?

Are they getting diluted within SQE's other studios or something? Like Volition going into Gearbox?
Basicly they no longer make any decision at all as a studio.all the higher ups there Wil be let go or resettled,crystal was probably their decision with forspoken and square eniq after the failure said that's it you no longer make decisions on the games you make at all

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Clearly no one played forspoken here. It looks pretty great with hdr and combat/movement is a highlight of that game.

The only issue with it is that it took too long to develop and people had wrong expectations. It’s a very good game. Maybe try it. I can post shots when I get home.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
All the people cheering for the death of the engine will be complaining a decade from now when most games just look the same because they’re all running in the same engine.

Agreed. I'm just as impressed by the UE5 demos as anyone else, but celebrating the lack of competition and eventual dwindling of innovation is just stupid.
UE5 will become a surpassed engine someday, and at that point it's better for everyone that there's a lot more "after-next-gen" engines to choose from.

EN250

Agreed. I'm just as impressed by the UE5 demos as anyone else, but celebrating the lack of competition and eventual dwindling of innovation is just stupid.
UE5 will become a surpassed engine someday, and at that point it's better for everyone that there's a lot more "after-next-gen" engines to choose from.

They're a 3P studio, middleware works well for them, what's even the point to create an exclusive engine if it takes so long to develop and is applied to a minimal list of games, same happened with the Fox Engine Kojima pushed for MGSV, it was used in that and PES? Which has marginal yearly upgrades like every other sport game till this day

ToTTenTranz

Banned
They're a 3P studio, middleware works well for them, what's even the point to create an exclusive engine if it takes so long to develop and is applied to a minimal list of games, same happened with the Fox Engine Kojima pushed for MGSV, it was used in that and PES? Which has marginal yearly upgrades like every other sport game till this day

Competition bolsters Innovation. There's simply no other way to explain it.
As for middleware working well for 3P studios, that just happens to be the case with Unreal Engine.

Also, at some point, Unreal Engine was being developed for Unreal, CryEngine was being developed just for Far Cry, idTech just for Doom, Decima just for Killzone Shadow Fall and Frostbite just for Battlefield Bad Company.

Trash engine. Trash devs. Trash main character. Trash graphics. Trash game. Good riddance, byeeee. So happy too see them fail miserably.

Sorry if I sound angry lol, I am just happy this crew got what it deserved and that they wasted their marketing budget and dev budget. Maybe next time, they'll stop trying make cringe cringe dialgue and writing and stop using outdated technology.

Can't believe Anne Henning put her name on this piece of garbage. She deserves better, the chances are someone else was the main writer? No way she would write this.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’m not celebrating lack of competition but I am celebrating that they won’t be spending huge amounts of time and effort on this engine instead of on creating games. I think we have reached the point where speed of development dwarfs any other concern when it comes to game engines.

Competition is great but the flip side is that, if you want to go head-to-head against a mature, widely used, industry standard tool, you had better offer some really compelling advantages to justify the huge cost involved.

dottme

Because it was run by like 10 pcs and probably took hours to render. The engine was beautiful even more so then unreal 5 to me
The demo was in real time but it was probably running on powerful PC from 10years ago. At least that what Square-Enix told us.
but with a new generation of console and 10 years of update, we should be getting close to it.

Spaceman292

Banned
Tell everyone how you REALLY feel lol. Saying the game played like ass is a horrible lie but i get it. Let the train continue.
But it did play like ass. I thought most people agreed on that. It was like an even less responsive version of FF15 combat. I only played the demo, so maybe it gets better in the full game, but I hated it.

YukiOnna

Aside from FF, what do they have that's a big IP?

Pumping FF games till saturation is not the answer, Forspoken was cursed from the start, trying to merge the current americanized character and the edgy cursing whedonesque dialogue with the isekai world of fantasy just didn't mesh well at all

It's like watching a samurai movie and the background music is filled with country songs 🤷‍♂️
It would be Dragon Quest and then Kingdom Hearts. Those are their 3 biggest IP's.
They actually have a great run of AA titles throughout each year, as well.

The solution is honestly simple, just focus on that, those in-house domestic titles. I thought that's what they'd be doing when they sold off their Western Studios and did seem to mention it in their Financial Report slides, but Forspoken was a weird outlier.

Go_Ly_Dow

It would be Dragon Quest and then Kingdom Hearts. Those are their 3 biggest IP's.
They actually have a great run of AA titles throughout each year, as well.

The solution is honestly simple, just focus on that, those in-house domestic titles. I thought that's what they'd be doing when they sold off their Western Studios and did seem to mention it in their Financial Report slides, but Forspoken was a weird outlier.
NieR too, Automata has sold 7mil as of Nov 2022.

Remasters aside, they should focus on making FF, DQ, KH and NieR as high quality as possible and then focus remaining resources on just a few new projects and reviving older IPs. They've improved greatly from PS3 era, but now a it to stretched between all these large projects and smaller ones.

Quite easy to see the lack of commercial success and Forspoken is why Matsuda is being replaced, he took a gamble and it backfired.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

NieR too, Automata has sold 7mil as of Nov 2022.

Remasters aside, they should focus on making FF, DQ, KH and NieR as high quality as possible and then focus remaining resources on just a few new projects and reviving older IPs. They've improved greatly from PS3 era, but now a it to stretched between all these large projects and smaller ones.

Quite easy to see the lack of commercial success and Forspoken is why Matsuda is being replaced, he took a gamble and it backfired.
Yeah, the only reason I didn't mention Nier is because it feels like Taro isn't too interested, but that's another story, I'm sure he can put out a new IP on the same level. Though, even Nier is popular enough to expand its media, get light novels and a currently airing anime. Which brings me to my point, the major franchises they have always have something going as a media-mix. From there, keep releasing titles like Octopath, Triangle Strategy, TWEWY, HD-2D games, etc.

In any case, this would be the Capcom approach to it. They have a great foothold in a lot of places like the RPG and MMO market, they just need to focus a little more. Of course, this is just talking about their HD Game Business.

Whitecrow

Banned
It's so sad to me, that sooo many people are having a really really hard time, understanding how a shocked character can express his emotions. The meme tells a lot, and not good, about the audience.

skyfall

Can't believe Anne Henning put her name on this piece of garbage. She deserves better, the chances are someone else was the main writer? No way she would write this.

What makes you think it's her story/writing?

From the credits:
jpg6XSO.png

Last edited:
What makes you think it's her story/writing?

From the credits:
jpg6XSO.png
That's why I said "No way she would write this" . But i remember her being involved somehow via an article. Last few years every where she went she kept getting fucked over and over. She needs to find a better place in the industry.

Last edited:
Those guys have the prowess to develop good gameplay, but they were dealt such an unfortunate hand by having to deal with such an engine.

That's why I said "No way she would write this" . But i remember her being involved somehow via an article. Last few years every where she went she kept getting fucked over and over. She needs to find a better place in the industry.
Her and Gary Whitta are listed in the IMDB credits, but it’s rumored that they were simply consultants. A good thing if so because she doesn’t need this prominently featured on her résumé.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Being folded into Square Enix.

They had their fair chances I guess.

Edit: just noticed this is from some days ago. Shut me down if old.

Last edited:
Top Bottom