• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luminous Studios is dead

Pejo

How do you run this 10 years ago all in real time and end up with Forspoken.

Probably a lot of it has to do with the open world meme. I only played the demo, but I feel like the game could have benefitted from just having a linear narrative and design. I haven't heard a single impression or video say "boy I'm glad that this game is open world". You could still have fun movement and parkour without forcing open world.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I feel like the only one on earth who liked the luminous engine. I really liked FF15 and I thought it looked fantastic. Plus, it was something different than all the other games running the same unreal engine.

All the people cheering for the death of the engine will be complaining a decade from now when most games just look the same because they’re all running in the same engine.

I feel like the only one on earth who liked the luminous engine. I really liked FF15 and I thought it looked fantastic. Plus, it was something different than all the other games running the same unreal engine.

All the people cheering for the death of the engine will be complaining a decade from now when most games just look the same because they’re all running in the same engine.
no.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'm not sure I get what happened here. Luminous was a subsidiary of Square Enix already. They're not getting sold to SQEnix, so what changed?

Are they getting diluted within SQE's other studios or something? Like Volition going into Gearbox?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Jesus that came much faster than I would have ever expected.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I get what happened here. Luminous was a subsidiary of Square Enix already. They're not getting sold to SQEnix, so what changed?

Are they getting diluted within SQE's other studios or something? Like Volition going into Gearbox?
because they fucked up so much with luminous engine, only that team could work on and with it. therefore; Luminous Productions.

This is an "I told ya" moment from me. I'm not celebrating their closing but can't say it wasn't written on the wall after the mess FFXV and Forspoken were.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
"Dead" is kinda an exaggeration when they always were essentially an internal SE team, just one with their own branding. Seems like they are retiring the name but otherwise business as usual.

jhjfss

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not surprising. Also fully anticipating to hear that Tokyo RPG Factory is being absorbed into SE as well.
Was about to mention this as well. No games released since 2019, nothing announced. Seems inevitable, unless they're working on something big that gets released and is a critical and commercial success (unlikely given their previous output).

I love their games to death, but even I realize it's probably time for them to throw in the towel.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

It’s not about how the games look. It’s about how much time, effort, and opportunity cost they’re squandering for little to no apparent benefit. Square has spent years and years struggling with engines, since the beginning of PS3 era. What for?

hyperbertha

I wholeheartedly agree with this, but sadly it seems like the West for whatever reason continues to influence many Japanese developers despite constant failures. I doubt they’ll ever truly learn as long as they “think” they can make money trying to emulate Western games.
Thing is japanese people are shifting increasingly to portable so many devs think they need to either cater to western gamers or go nintendo's route and develop for switch.

KingT731

Forspoken looking like ass, played like ass, performed like ass, character was unlikable as hell, and the price was straight up laughable.
Tell everyone how you REALLY feel lol. Saying the game played like ass is a horrible lie but i get it. Let the train continue.

Kataploom

Gold Member
because is the biggest market.
Let's be honest, not even western studios worth shit while pursuing the GaaS dream and following "the modern audiences", also Japanese stuff are better when they keep their identity, see JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, that anime would have been forgotten if it's weren't for it's very Japanese weird humor and everything

Woopah

I was actually expecting Sony to buy a share of them at one point. I guess the critical reception to Forspoken ended that.

Nydius

But in general, objectively it was fine
"Objectively". You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tell everyone how you REALLY feel lol. Saying the game played like ass is a horrible lie but i get it. Let the train continue.
Mmhmm. That's why nearly every critical review, and a large majority of user reviews, point out that the controls are shit, the camera is wonky, the attacks and combat animations are jank, and the entire combat system is a buggy ass mess.

The game played like shit. Anyone who touched the demo knew that a month in advance. They tried to cover it up by saying that the demo wasn't indicative of the full release, but they could no longer hide behind that excuse when the full release came out and the game played just as poorly.

Myths

Crystal Tools all over again. Stop the cap man. And so the ones that left SE are essentially being absorbed … right back where they came from.

Tabata… where did you think you were going?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"Objectively". You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Mmhmm. That's why nearly every critical review, and a large majority of user reviews, point out that the controls are shit, the camera is wonky, the attacks and combat animations are jank, and the entire combat system is a buggy ass mess.

The game played like shit. Anyone who touched the demo knew that a month in advance. They tried to cover it up by saying that the demo wasn't indicative of the full release, but they could no longer hide behind that excuse when the full release came out and the game played just as poorly.
Oh I know.
It's a fine game. It's not ride to hell like people treat it you know ?

Japanese Devs should really stop trying to make "Western" games. They rarely ever do them well except Kohima.
They should stick to making niche games. So they only profit enough to make PS3 graphics. And then beg western publishers to fund their games.

They should stop trying to write stories and go.. when facing a wall, what would Ubisoft do?

open world + “content” = game.

Sakura

Using the same engine doesn't mean the games will look the same.

K' Dash

My theory is that Sony is waiting for Square to self destruct to buy them for pennies on the dollar.

Can’t wait to see how a Sony managed Final Fantasy will look.

Last edited:

anothertech

I liked Forespoken. Like a new second son for this gen.

I will say the engine had major limitations though. It was pretty obvious.

Hayabusa83

Banned
The industry should probably take note that games sell well when they aren't built from the ground up for the non-existent Twitter Bot market.

Hearing 1 minute of dialogue from Forspoken was enough for me to never consider even playing it. Pure fan fiction.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
You know, it's not that easy. They tried, and after years of hard work, they failed. But it's not something to celebrate.

I can't imagine how it must be to be universally panned in this manner, it's not just a job you know, it's a vision.

Top Bottom