• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luminous Studios is dead

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"Fine" is good enough for an indie title that cost 20 bucks on Steam.

But for a big studio big budget 70 euro pricetag, "fine" is a disaster. Also blaming twitter mob is poor reasoning. Twitter mobs didn't stop Hogwarts Legacy or Atomic Heart from selling gangbusters. You're not seriously thinking a meme video in twitter stopped millions of people from buying this game, do you?

Forspoken just wasn't good enough. It happens.
It wasn't fine for me. I liked it a lot.
But in general, objectively it was fine

Teslerum

Good. The studio lacked talent and the games felt half baked.
Hopefully they don't just go back to pre-2018 and actually get ripped apart.

That talent is worthless if it still remains the same team, we already know they can't manage a project for shit.

Last edited:

cireza

I thought that Sony supported games and made them awesome when they made exclusivity deals. What happened ?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
J9DnNq0.jpg

Hey, better double the # of consultants next time, I bet then you’d really make a character people love.

Japanese Devs should really stop trying to make "Western" games. They rarely ever do them well except Kohima.
I wholeheartedly agree with this, but sadly it seems like the West for whatever reason continues to influence many Japanese developers despite constant failures. I doubt they’ll ever truly learn as long as they “think” they can make money trying to emulate Western games.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
These consultants must be making some crazy money from all these failed woke media projects.
I just wonder if this sort of thing is hurting “representation” more than helping it.

Like, if you want to make a white character, you can just have some cool idea for a character and make it.

If you want to make a black character, well then you better make them sympathetic, but still “authentic”, but also free of any negative stereotypes. Best bring in some BIPOC consultants and win their seal of approval, so you can blunt some of the inevitable backlash when non-black writers dare to try and write a black character.

Then after all that, the twitter keyboard warriors and sites like Kotaku will still find a million “problematic” things to complain about. Partly because they don’t gain esteem/attention/clicks by saying “hey they did an OK job”. Partly because it’s their favorite form of recreation, picking some target to accuse of bigotry and then watching them grovel and beg for approval.

Go_Ly_Dow

it was due that stupid engine.
The engine itself as XV showed had its merits. It was technically great last gen and the PC version of the game still looks very nice by todays standard.

Forspoken was a step backwards tech wise from XV, which is really bizarre. Think S-E just should completely focus on wide linear with some open zones going forward with their RPGs. Like XVI and I'd guess VII Rebirth. They clearly don't have the heart to go all in on open world, which is what it takes to make a game of that nature to not feel flawed and incomplete.

Last edited:
The engine itself as XV showed had its merits. It was technically great last gen and the PC version of the game still looks very nice by todays standard.

Forspoken was a step backwards tech wise from XV, which is really bizarre.

that engine has no merits.

i was following very closely the development of FFfuckingVersusXIII. the luminous development was one the worst shitshows in the history of the industry. software engineers in top positions leaving and shit like that.

that engine had different priorities and being a good video game engine wasn't one of them.

SE as a whole has some of the worst management in the industry. They clearly can not make a AAA game without increasing an already massive budget and delaying it several times.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Forspoken was a step backwards tech wise from XV, which is really bizarre. Think S-E just should completely focus on wide linear with some open zones going forward with their RPGs. Like XVI and I'd guess VII Rebirth. They clearly don't have the heart to go all in on open world, which is what it takes to make a game of that nature to not feel flawed and incomplete.

That’s exactly what I want from a Final Fantasy game. It’s not like “open-world, go anywhere, do anything you want” is the ultimate, highest goal that all game worlds should aim for, and anything less than that is inferior.

The cruelest irony about FF XV is despite being the first open-world FF game, it felt tiny and claustrophobic. Instead of being some massive globe-spanning epic, the entire thing takes place in an area that’s like the size of a state park. Towns are like a 5 minute jog from each other (each with its own diner and set of shops for some reason). It gives you the feeling of “this is all there is?” instead of feeling as though there’s a big world out there and you’re just getting one person’s perspective of it.

StueyDuck

It's a shame that western influence and awful gobshite western writers helped lead to its eventual demise.

But that comes down to poor leadership at luminous and making such bad decisions.

All in all it's not complete doom and gloom, they are being absorbed and more talent behind other better franchises is a good thing

Teletraan1

Banned
Name and shame those consultants. They fucking suck.

People like Japanese games because they like Japanese culture and design. Importing someone else's culture to appeal to people who will never be satisfied is never a good move and will never come across as authentic. I play games and watch TV and movies from other cultures because the shit they are feeding us in the west is a bunch of ideology wrapped in a bad story. When everyone else starts pumping out the same shit I am trying to escape in the west I will drop that too.

StueyDuck

People like to mock EA for killing a bunch of studios, and rightfully so.
But Sony isn't that far behind. And because they make pretty interactive movies, they fly under the radar.
I think the joke may of went over your head a little

Enjoy your console wars though I guess.

I gonna continue mocking forspoken instead

Buggy Loop

SE as a whole has some of the worst management in the industry. They clearly can not make a AAA game without increasing an already massive budget and delaying it several times.

Yup

And while the Luminous shitshow was happening with all the mess of the versus XIII / Noctua, Square Enix Montreal was making a Final Fantasy after the success of Deus Ex, why not give them a chance after all? Oozing with talent and their new in-house engine is promising. The modified IO interactive engine that would become Dawn engine.

New SE CEO came in and cancelled Eidos’s FF. I mean, just rename it if FF triggered the new CEO or something. That’s how SE management is. They fumbled around a lot in the past 10 years.

nial

Gold Member
SE need to keep things simple, the way Capcom does. Make AAA games from big IP’s and your occasional AA game here and there, don’t try to be something you aren’t, Forget the GAAS, games for a "modern audience" and all that rubbish.
So, not like Capcom?

EN250

SE need to keep things simple, the way Capcom does. Make AAA games from big IP’s and your occasional AA game here and there, don’t try to be something you aren’t, Forget the GAAS, games for a "modern audience" and all that rubbish.

Aside from FF, what do they have that's a big IP?

Pumping FF games till saturation is not the answer, Forspoken was cursed from the start, trying to merge the current americanized character and the edgy cursing whedonesque dialogue with the isekai world of fantasy just didn't mesh well at all

It's like watching a samurai movie and the background music is filled with country songs 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom