• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac or PC? Which way to go?

used macs my whole life, its practically all i know. My dad even bought them for the family computer back in the day. my brother tried to convince him to get a windows 98 pc cuz gamez but he wouldn't budge. We played a lot of Marathon.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I work devops largely with Azure and like to game, so I go PC. Haven't been the biggest fan of Windows 11, but I do like the shift towards cooperating with Linux. Even small things like the recently announced sudo command coming to Win11.
WSL is awesome, especially in Win11. It's so well integrated and makes writing apps that run on a Linux server so much easier to test.

David B

An Idiot
Ok, so I'm asking should I buy with my credit cards as that's my only option. Or just no? Replies please.

David B

An Idiot
The stupid one-button mice they used in the computer lab at my middle school turned me off to Macs for life.
Exactly! Those hockey puck one button mouse sucked on powerpc macs. Ok, so I'm asking should I buy with my credit cards as that's my only option. Or just no? Replies please

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
If you game then it's not even a question. For other stuff the apple build quality kills PCs.

StueyDuck

Ultimately which way to go? Mac has great imovie and time machine backup. However macs are 200 to 2000 over-priced. The dock and menu bar I find annoying however. List reasons of why one is better than the other.
Depends what list of headaches you are willing to deal with. Apple you won't have any driver issues for example but you'll beat your head against the wall to do anything that apple didn't want you to do.

Windows you'll have freedom, but you'll also beat your head against the wall with potential dll corruption..

Just Two silly use cases there's obviously alot more to critique and like about both. Basically your either fighting the OS itself or the kinks/bugs of the OS depending who you choose

Last edited:
Wow wow wow! I can't believe I finally realized this. So I have about 6750 in credit debt right now. Before realizing that I was all over Dell because I have 3500 account with them. I put together Alienware computer and monitor in the cart. 2283.44 total. Ok cool. Oh wait 6750 + 2283.44 = 9033.44. I would be 9033 in debt! OMFG!!! Do I want more debt? No freaking way! So as much as I want a gaming PC, I will not raise my debt to do so. All I can say is thanks for leading me to the horrible truth.
I don't know what "3500 account" means here. You're saying they'll finance $3,500 and you specced out a PC for $2,300?
Um, I'm on SSI. $1,112 a month. 9000 1112 - 560 rent= 552. So lets say I can do 500 a month. 9000 divide by 500 is 18. Therefore it would take me 1 and a half years to pay off.
Rent is your *only* other expense? And 9,000/500 is almost certainly not the math anyway as I'm assuming you're dealing with not so amazing interest rates on your credit cards?

New Alienware gaming PC does not sound like a rational decision in your situation.

DrFigs

The only reason that I have a pc is for occasional work stuff. In 2024, there are still some software that I use that are not available on mac at all. So if you don't care about those things and you don't do a lot of gaming on computer, I would go w/ a mac 100%.

I bought the m1 macbook air for 700 dollars and for casual every day use, it's been superior to any windows laptop at that same price in my experience.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
I don't know what "3500 account" means here. You're saying they'll finance $3,500 and you specced out a PC for $2,300?

Rent is your *only* other expense? And 9,000/500 is almost certainly not the math anyway as I'm assuming you're dealing with not so amazing interest rates on your credit cards?

New Alienware gaming PC does not sound like a rational decision in your situation.
9000 was meant as credit total if I bought the PC. 6750 current debt + 2000 PC monitor combo = about 9000. 3500 account yes $3500 available credit to use with them. 2300 is the PC + monitor combo total.

Jayjayhd34

Remember any offfice you would see giants macs lying around everywhere not really thing. Anymore There was few benfits back in day but now it's liturally no diffrent than having a'pc' all the parts will massively overpriced.

If market for mac then you could get good rtx4070 super build

Trilobit

I recently bought a Lenovo Thinkpad as I wanted a higher RAM and the cheapest Macbook with 32GB was over $3000. But the more I use it the more I dislike the OS. Customization is so much easier in MacOS and it's overall much more user friendly. I think I have more inner peace using Macs. Luckily there's RocketDock and Start11 to alleviate some concerns I've had.

So if you see yourself as more sensitive to esthetics and will use your computer more creatively then go with Mac. Otherwise if you'll mostly game or do work related tasks then PC is fine. My Lenovo itself has been perfectly fine, it's Windows that lacks anything called taste. Don't tell me about mac-like docks and customization apps, they are like trying to paint over a rotten slanting house.

Edit: It's insane that there's still nothing close to hot corners baked in Windows. That's what really grinds my gears and makes Windows feel like something from anno 1750.

Last edited:

Forsete

Gold Member
I have a gaming PC.

But 99.98% of the time I just surf the internet. So I got a Mac mini M2 which works very well. It is connected to the same monitor, mouse and keyboard which I already use for the Windows PC.

Sushi_Combo

I don't miss PC gaming and I've been using a mac mini and macbook air for a few years now for personal stuff and it hasn't faltered yet.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I dont get how macOS has better user experience/interface. I'm always lost when I have to help my mom with her Apple devices

Last edited:

Fbh

I dont get how macOS has better user experience/interface. I'm always lost when I have to help my mom with her Apple devices

Same.
Admittedly I have never owned a Macbook myself but I've used them from time to time for work and I have friends who own them and I've never seen the advantage over windows for regular use.
Even my cheap $300 work laptop is pretty fast and responsive and does everything I need for work (including some light editing and Illustrator).

David B

An Idiot
Thanks for more comments guys. I decided why not have both? That way I don't be stupid and sell and buy every few months going back and forth. I have the latest iMac M3 8GB ram, 256GB SSD, 2 USB C & 2 thunderbolt 4 inputs and ethernet. $1500 brand new. Bought it last year 2023 December 20th. Dock not all the way down on bottom is annoying, as well as menu bar always on top, plus the dock icons are always big even when making it smaller. Windows taskbar icons are small however. I guess both are annoying. So I said to myself why not both? Since I have iMac I will buy laptop gaming PC. So thanks for helping me come to this answer.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Mac for work, PC for play. That’s my balance, and it works great for me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I havent used a Mac since 20 years ago when I used a G4 with that glorious one button mouse.

Can any of you Mac users tell what's it like now? Standard two button mouse functionality? Or is like 20 years ago when coworkers would say to do certain functions easy you got to memorize CTRL-button functions? lol

David B

An Idiot
I havent used a Mac since 20 years ago when I used a G4 with that glorious one button mouse.

Can any of you Mac users tell what's it like now? Standard two button mouse functionality? Or is like 20 years ago when coworkers would say to do certain functions easy you got to memorize CTRL-button functions? lol
You can enable right click in settings. Easier than remembering control or command.

I expect macOS to follow
BB1i9Nwe.img

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Although another thing to mention is that Apple products are way over priced. Like seriously, the iPhone, I have never had and never will buy as it's extremely overpriced for what it is. Android phones way better deals. Also the iMac I have, it's way overpriced as well. In fact I have to say I think everything at Apple is way way overpriced other than the Mac Mini as it's only $600. It's the only one that makes sense for it price. The macbooks are extensively overpriced, holly crap! $1000 Macbook Air. WTF? Windows PC similar specs, 1080p screen, built in camera, but for only $500. Half the price! I can't believe this. I set up my iMac again, alright. But now about 14 hours after now, I go Apple products are way over priced though. So therefore why keep the iMac when it's extremely overpriced? Yeah, I think I totally forgot to look at that. Apple is just extremely overpriced and I don't like that factor and that's why I'm now deciding to screw Apple over and sell the iMac.

David B

An Idiot
It took me about an hour but I realized something else. As much as I want a gaming PC right now, I shouldn't. The reasons why are just one. Credit card debt. I have about $6500 credit card debt right now. As I placed before I know. I already said it would be $2500 about to pay for the game PC and the monitor I want. But that's just not worth it overall because I'd rather eliminate debt. I have to realize that I already have 13 game consoles and that I have a massive credit card debt to pay off. Therefore despite my last post here, I will just keep my iMac M3 as I have it right now and consoles I have tons of them, and focus on paying off my credit card debt. I think overall I really just grew up and realized my true problem. I keep spending money on computers over and over. I have to stop it. I have to pay off my credit card debt. I have to realize the truth of the matter. It's not about what I want, it's about keeping order in my life. I'm sad to realize the truth now. But yes it's over now. Finally I realize the whole truth that paying off my debt is more important than anything I want.

poodaddy

PC. Always PC.

In general, fuck everything Apple honestly. Apple and Epic are the worst companies in tech by far, and I honestly wish they'd war some more just to hurt each other as much as possible.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It took me about an hour but I realized something else. As much as I want a gaming PC right now, I shouldn't. The reasons why are just one. Credit card debt. I have about $6500 credit card debt right now. As I placed before I know. I already said it would be $2500 about to pay for the game PC and the monitor I want. But that's just not worth it overall because I'd rather eliminate debt. I have to realize that I already have 13 game consoles and that I have a massive credit card debt to pay off. Therefore despite my last post here, I will just keep my iMac M3 as I have it right now and consoles I have tons of them, and focus on paying off my credit card debt. I think overall I really just grew up and realized my true problem. I keep spending money on computers over and over. I have to stop it. I have to pay off my credit card debt. I have to realize the truth of the matter. It's not about what I want, it's about keeping order in my life. I'm sad to realize the truth now. But yes it's over now. Finally I realize the whole truth that paying off my debt is more important than anything I want.
If you got $6500 of CC debt and are not really paying it off on time (it kind of hangs around), at a 20% interest rate, youre paying $1300 in interest a year.

Pay off all CC debts before buying anything big. A PC is not survival like food.

Also, look into lines of credit. Its a different way of borrowing and paying back money, but even in today's high inflation, the interest rate might be 7-8% (took a guess). Not 20%

nkarafo

OK, can someone explain to me a legit reason to buy a desktop Mac and pay more for the same hardware nowadays?

I'm saying nowadays because it's not like two decades ago where the hardware was different, like the G4, G5, etc. It's not a PowerPC CPU anymore, it's the same Intel CPU you are getting on a PC. I'm not saying one is better than the other but it's a difference that could be used as a justification. Plus, if you care about hardware, PC is better because you can easily upgrade/change every part. Desktop Macs are no different than laptop macs in that you can't do much other than change the internal HDD/SSD.

Even the OS can be installed on a PC, just like how you can install Windows on a Mac. Which is something i don't think was possible in the past. Again, maybe the OS was better and paying more money was the only way to have access to it. But not anymore.

So what's left to justify the huge gap in price? The brand? Sure but that's not a legit reason. This is a stupid reason.

Only thing left is the design/aesthetics. I suppose that's something someone might care about and Macs have a nice aesthetic for sure. But is it really worth that much more money?

David B

An Idiot
OK, can someone explain to me a legit reason to buy a desktop Mac and pay more for the same hardware nowadays?

I'm saying nowadays because it's not like two decades ago where the hardware was different, like the G4, G5, etc. It's not a PowerPC CPU anymore, it's the same Intel CPU you are getting on a PC. I'm not saying one is better than the other but it's a difference that could be used as a justification. Plus, if you care about hardware, PC is better because you can easily upgrade/change every part. Desktop Macs are no different than laptop macs in that you can't do much other than change the internal HDD/SSD.

Even the OS can be installed on a PC, just like how you can install Windows on a Mac. Which is something i don't think was possible in the past. Again, maybe the OS was better and paying more money was the only way to have access to it. But not anymore.

So what's left to justify the huge gap in price? The brand? Sure but that's not a legit reason. This is a stupid reason.

Only thing left is the design/aesthetics. I suppose that's something someone might care about and Macs have a nice aesthetic for sure. But is it really worth that much more money?
Yeah so right now I'm selling the iMac M3. I'm selling it on facebook marketplace and craigslist. Overall Apple products are way freaking overpriced like poodaddy said. I will use the cash money to buy a not so extreme gaming PC, but a basic one. One I can afford with the cash. I think Apple products from iPhone to iMac to iPad and everything is extremely overpriced big time. I'm wanting to sell the Apple device iMac I have right now. So than I don't have to use my credit cards at all, I'll just go to a store and use my cash on a lower end gaming PC.

Soltype

My county just started providing MacBook Airs to those who want them, so I have to start supporting them. After using them for a while I get why people like them, but I don't understand is why people think they're worth the premium. The experience does not merit the price that they charge over Windows based products. There are things that Windows does better than mac and that shouldn't be the case considering how much they want for them.

DrFigs

Could you be a bit more specific?
I paid about 900 dollars for my g15 laptop, which is slightly more than I paid for my macbook air. Except that it has significantly worse battery life, a much worse screen, more issues with crashing, etc. I have had very few problems with my macbook air in comparison. I am making an assumption that the same is true for the more expensive mac products.

nkarafo

I paid about 900 dollars for my g15 laptop, which is slightly more than I paid for my macbook air. Except that it has significantly worse battery life, a much worse screen, more issues with crashing, etc. I have had very few problems with my macbook air in comparison. I am making an assumption that the same is true for the more expensive mac products.

Ah OK, can't comment on laptops myself. My experience is only with desktop computers.

David B

An Idiot
Ah OK, can't comment on laptops myself. My experience is only with desktop computers.
Don't ever buy a laptop. I bought a Toshiba laptop back in 2012. It lasted me 6 months and than died. Took it to bestbuy guest service said it won't turn on at all even with power plug in. Tested it, nope won't turn on. Opened it, burned CPU and motherboard.

lachesis

If I was in OP's situation, I'd sell off everything to pay off the credit card debt, before moving onto anything else... and that includes consoles. Especially current gen consoles that you can easily buy at cheaper price later on.

I'd sell everything not contributing to my income, and keep the only computer that you use primarily for work, whether it's a PC or Mac - and consider any upgrade would bring in more $$$ in the long run first.

David B

An Idiot
If I was in OP's situation, I'd sell off everything to pay off the credit card debt, before moving onto anything else... and that includes consoles. Especially current gen consoles that you can easily buy at cheaper price later on.

I'd sell everything not contributing to my income, and keep the only computer that you use primarily for work, whether it's a PC or Mac - and consider any upgrade would bring in more $$$ in the long run first.
Well I can't put the cash into my bank account as I'm on SSI. Also I have 13 consoles already, so I'm fine. Sure I could sell them, but overall from physical and digital games I have about 600 games! PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 Pro, PS5 digital system, GameCube, Wii, Switch, Xbox original, Xbox 360, Xbox Series X, NES classic, SNES classic, Dreamcast. So yeah 14 consoles actually. So now I'm like should I buy a N64? That's about the only console I miss as the N64 controller is super hard to imitate on PC emulators and it's really annoying with there AB C-up, down, left, right. So even if I did sell, I can't add the money to my bank account to pay for the debt either because when your on SSI if you add any money to your account the social security fund says you added money to your account, therefore your next months payment will be less. So yeah. Just selling the iMac and gonna use the cash to buy a PC. Like I said, Apple is way way overpriced.

Melon Husk

It's 2024 and we still can't get a fanless Windows laptop with the battery life and power of Macbook Air, Apple's bread and butter product. Not a single company wants to compete, not even Microsoft with their Surface line.

JCK75

Most of my hardware complaints about Macs are no longer a thing, it's really solid hardware and the price is not as insane as it used to be..
but I still hate the OS.

David B

An Idiot
Most of my hardware complaints about Macs are no longer a thing, it's really solid hardware and the price is not as insane as it used to be..
but I still hate the OS.
I don't like the dock as it is either too big or too small. I also don't like the top menu bar always on the top.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Honestly, the Mac trackpad is better than any mouse I’ve ever used (except for gaming, of course). I’ve got so many different gestures set up that it becomes a macro/hotkey input device as much as my keyboard. And it’s essentially flawless in executing the intended shortcuts.

I’ve never used any trackpad that even comes close to a modern MacBook trackpad. MacBooks, in general, are absolute powerhouses for professional use. I get like 15 hours of battery life on my M2 Max, and it’s fast as all hell for just about every piece of media software I use.

Not to mention, if you’re an iPhone user already, the interconnectivity between devices is mindblowingly seamless. AirPods automatically switch to whatever device you’re using at that moment. Copy/pasting and airdrop between devices is incredibly useful. I even use my iPad as a secondary wireless monitor while I work, and it’s awesome.

I’m basically fully converted to Apple for professional use at this point. There are a few manual customizations you have to make to bring in some oddly missing features—like dragging a window to a side/corner of the screen and having it resize automatically), and replacing the Function key with the Ctrl key so keyboard shortcuts aren’t as annoying—but once you’re set up, it’s incredibly efficient.

What I usually tell people is that Apple is a walled garden, but if you’re on the inside of the walls, it’s a great place to be. But that requires a sizable investment that not all people want to make, which is understandable.

David B

An Idiot
So I've made another discovery. So this time I put a cheaper 4060 Alienware PC in the cart, and than the cheapest 1440 Alienware monitor. Both at Dell website of course. And than came the bill for all of it plus tax. It was 1616.43. And so I was like, cool ok. Added my credit card and my Dell pay account and than took my current debt and went ohh, ohh, ohh, ohh snaps. Current debt 6478.75 + 1,616.43 Dell Alienware and monitor = 8095.18 HOLLY SHI BALLS! I just went OMFG!!! Do I want that much debt? HELL NO! My debt is already way too high over 6000. I don't want anymore debt. Sure I want the gaming PC but I put together points of reasons not to get a gaming PC quite a long time ago. REASONS NOT TO GET A GAMING PC #1. Not all PC games support controller! MW3 original none at all. Black Ops 2 menus require KB and M, controller only for map playing. Tons of old games don't support controller at all on PC. #2. All PC games I have I already have on consoles! Therefore there's not a big reason to get a gaming PC when I have way more games already on consoles. #3. In multiplayer games on PC, everyone is using KB and M. So it's not fair to me as I only like controller! #4. Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo. One store on console per console. But on PC it's Steam, battle.net, EA, Bungie, GOG, Origin. What a headache on PC! #5. Consoles have 100% controller support! PC only has about 50% controller support as so many games require KB & M. (Therefore because I don't want more credit debt and because I hate the loss of 100% controller support you only get on consoles, I will not buy a gaming PC at all!)

gimmmick

As a 39 year old male who is married and has a kid , I don’t have time to game so I’ll always choose Mac over PC.

Been using them since college and they are the perfect for us that aren’t tech savvy.

Top Bottom