• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macklemore is the only white rapper with something to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Air

Banned
On White Privilege
White people can turn off the TV when we're sick of talking about race. White, liberal people want to be nice. We don't want to be racist. We want to be, "Oh we're post-racial. We don't want to talk about white privilege and it's all good, right?" It's not the case. Silence is an action and it's my privilege that I can be silent about this issue. And I'm tired of being silent about it. We have to get past that awkward stage of the race conversation. As a white person, we have to listen. We need to direct the attention to the people of color that are on the ground mobilizing and listen to those people.

On White Appropriation of Hip Hop
You need to know your place in the culture. Are you contributing or are you taking? Are you using it for your own advantage or are you contributing? I saw a tweet that said, "Hip hop was birthed out of the civil rights movement." This is a culture that came from pain and oppression. It was the byproduct [of white oppression]. We can say we've come a long way since the late Seventies and early Eighties, but we haven't. Just because there's been more successful white rappers, you cannot disregard where this culture came from and our place in it as white people. This is not my culture to begin with. As much as I have honed my craft…I do believe that I need to know my place.

Video and more at the link, it's a short article:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/v...ilege-thrift-shop-backlash-interview-20141230

Dress me up like a Jewish man if old.

Edit: An overview of the video from fellow gaffer enzo_gt:

This Macklemore interview on Hot97 is pretty good. A full hour plus though.

- Talks about his experiences with Seattle activism
- Begin talking about Eric Garner & Mike Brown, says he is inspired by the mobilization, but has been taking time to figure out how to address without making it about him, making it authentic from a white person's perspective, but taking advantage of his position, not taking liberal "post-racial" perspectives on it etc.
- They talk about the awkwardness of starting the race conversation being one of the biggest things working against it
- Talk about the problem with the "We're all Americans" perspective and it being ignorant of cultural differences
- Ebro talks about how Staten Island is racially divided, lots of authority work there, and the prosecutors being representative of that constituency
- Macklemore drops some gems on white privileged:
"Why can I have a parental advisory logo on my album and parents come up to me and say that I'm the only rap they let their kids listen to?"
- "If I was black, what would my drug addiction look like?"
- Talk that white hip-hop fan shit that GAF-Hop wants to hear. "[They're amazed] like I'm the first rapper to rap about equality"
- They talk about "I don't like rap but I like Eminem" fans; "Like.. do you really? Raping your mother and wife and homophobia?"
- On the success of Thrift Shop "As soon as my niece likes a song, it's whack," anything becomes pop when it hits mass consumption
- Peter: "Soon there's going to be an all White crowd, watching a White rapper talk about how they didn't get the car they wanted for their sweet 16"
- Peter and Macklemore talk about hating all white rappers, and the importance of the black experience (which is what drew white kids to NWA in the first place," difference between white kids supporting then vs. now
- Macklemore "People are being introduced to hip hop now via Macklemore, Iggy, Mac Miller" unlike Tribe, Public Enemy etc.
- Talks about how they worked the radio. First went to Alternative, then "Rhythm," which is apparently where stuff bubbles or stuff with potential before Top 40 like Hot97, and then pop, by the time they got to pop it exploded. Doesn't know if it even reached Urban radio.
- Wait, Macklemore dissed Iovine?
- Can't Hold Us did better on Hot97 than Thrift Shop
- Agrees with Banks on white appropriation and devaluing Black art
- Peter calls Banks a genius, lol, argues that Fancy can be seen as one of the most clear examples of appropriation because of her jacking Mustard too
- They get deep in gritty about Banks' motivations, Peter and Ebro agree Iggy's laissez-faire and acting like she's above the issue response is destructive
- Macklemore: "It's clear who is taking, and who is contributing to the culture" & "You have to know your place in the culture," Macklemore mostly made general comments, made sure to say he's not talking about Iggy specifically
- Didn't know this, but it was mentioned and I thought it was a cool fact: Lynching wasn't even made illegal in the US until 30-40 years ago
- "Speaking of uncomfortable, I'm going to play a Kendrick Lamar song right now"
- Ebro says "evidence suggests this song did not do well for Kendrick. People stopped playing it"
- Macklemore goes into his Grammy thought process a bit more than he's done in the past, betraying Kendrick's trust, white liberal guilt, etc.
- "Yo if The Roots or Common drop, it's automatic for AotY nominations now"
- Peter saying Gambino's album pushed the envelope.. bish wet
- Peter's Grammy Theory: White voters will be split between Iggy and Eminem because their grandkids will be split over who they like more, leaving opportunity for Q and Gambino
- Album probably out into 2015, not early
- Loosely into battle rap #enzowasright

I think they touched on pretty much every topic imaginable besides the jew nose stuff.

jesu

e58a5qrtkpe7relvbjur.png

ZaCH3000

I hate this guy. First of all, nice LTTP comment. Secondly, way to presume white liberals have the attitude you present in your statements. Additionally, your comment isnt a new or revolutionary thought, so stop acting like it is. Lastly, if you feel so strongly, start marching on the fucking streets with the protestors from all colors and races rather than make idiotic comments from your comfy LA mansion or wherever the fuck you live. Macklemore, in short, please stfu because you are not noble and righteous.

studyguy

Enzo dropped a quick summary if you don't feel like watching an hour long video.

This Macklemore interview on Hot97 is pretty good. A full hour plus though.

- Talks about his experiences with Seattle activism
- Begin talking about Eric Garner & Mike Brown, says he is inspired by the mobilization, but has been taking time to figure out how to address without making it about him, making it authentic from a white person's perspective, but taking advantage of his position, not taking liberal "post-racial" perspectives on it etc.
- They talk about the awkwardness of starting the race conversation being one of the biggest things working against it
- Talk about the problem with the "We're all Americans" perspective and it being ignorant of cultural differences
- Ebro talks about how Staten Island is racially divided, lots of authority work there, and the prosecutors being representative of that constituency
- Macklemore drops some gems on white privileged:
"Why can I have a parental advisory logo on my album and parents come up to me and say that I'm the only rap they let their kids listen to?"
- "If I was black, what would my drug addiction look like?"
- Talk that white hip-hop fan shit that GAF-Hop wants to hear. "[They're amazed] like I'm the first rapper to rap about equality"
- They talk about "I don't like rap but I like Eminem" fans; "Like.. do you really? Raping your mother and wife and homophobia?"
- On the success of Thrift Shop "As soon as my niece likes a song, it's whack," anything becomes pop when it hits mass consumption
- Peter: "Soon there's going to be an all White crowd, watching a White rapper talk about how they didn't get the car they wanted for their sweet 16"
- Peter and Macklemore talk about hating all white rappers, and the importance of the black experience (which is what drew white kids to NWA in the first place," difference between white kids supporting then vs. now
- Macklemore "People are being introduced to hip hop now via Macklemore, Iggy, Mac Miller" unlike Tribe, Public Enemy etc.
- Talks about how they worked the radio. First went to Alternative, then "Rhythm," which is apparently where stuff bubbles or stuff with potential before Top 40 like Hot97, and then pop, by the time they got to pop it exploded. Doesn't know if it even reached Urban radio.
- Wait, Macklemore dissed Iovine?
- Can't Hold Us did better on Hot97 than Thrift Shop
- Agrees with Banks on white appropriation and devaluing Black art
- Peter calls Banks a genius, lol, argues that Fancy can be seen as one of the most clear examples of appropriation because of her jacking Mustard too
- They get deep in gritty about Banks' motivations, Peter and Ebro agree Iggy's laissez-faire and acting like she's above the issue response is destructive
- Macklemore: "It's clear who is taking, and who is contributing to the culture" & "You have to know your place in the culture," Macklemore mostly made general comments, made sure to say he's not talking about Iggy specifically
- Didn't know this, but it was mentioned and I thought it was a cool fact: Lynching wasn't even made illegal in the US until 30-40 years ago
- "Speaking of uncomfortable, I'm going to play a Kendrick Lamar song right now"
- Ebro says "evidence suggests this song did not do well for Kendrick. People stopped playing it"
- Macklemore goes into his Grammy thought process a bit more than he's done in the past, betraying Kendrick's trust, white liberal guilt, etc.
- "Yo if The Roots or Common drop, it's automatic for AotY nominations now"
- Peter saying Gambino's album pushed the envelope.. bish wet
- Peter's Grammy Theory: White voters will be split between Iggy and Eminem because their grandkids will be split over who they like more, leaving opportunity for Q and Gambino
- Album probably out into 2015, not early
- Loosely into battle rap #enzowasright

I think they touched on pretty much every topic imaginable besides the jew nose stuff.

Personally I think it's the same shit we've already heard but it must fucking suck for the dude to be pushed up against a wall of the racial issue whether he wants to or not. Whether you think the dude's a cac or not, being white has basically written the current narrative of his career so far without his input. Gotta wonder if at some point he should just cut and run with his shit rather than bowing and scraping every time he shows up for an interview. I mean being humble is cool and all but fuck son...

I hate this guy. First of all, nice LTTP comment. Secondly, way to presume white liberals have the attitude you present in your statements. Additionally, your comment isnt a new or revolutionary thought, so stop acting like it is. Lastly, if you feel so strongly, start marching on the fucking streets with the protestors from all colors and races rather than make idiotic comments from your comfy LA mansion or wherever the fuck you live. Macklemore, in short, please stfu because you are not noble and righteous.
you salty bro?

Mononoke

Banned

I don't like him as an artist either. But he did protest in the streets with people during Ferguson. Also what he says isnt wrong just because we dont like him as an artist or because he's rich and privileged. That said in the past he's said some questionable things on Twitter. And him dressing up like a stereotypical Jewis man and then denying it, was offensive and shows ignorance.

I can't tell if he's genuine or an act. But I still think the words he said here are true regardless of the messenger.

He uh...he totally did protest and march? Like a lot. Still does.

Fjordson

Not a fan of his music, but he always seems like an alright dude in interviews and whatnot. Some good stuff being dropped here.

cdyhybrid

He did though:

q2WIzCE.png

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...lemore-ferguson-michael-brown-seattle-protest

Macklemore said:
They talk about "I don't like rap but I like Eminem" fans; "Like.. do you really? Raping your mother and wife and homophobia?"

Pretty much how I see all those fucks. Like go swallow a box of nails then walk in front of a big ass magnet.

But Macklemore does walk amongst others and protests…
Macklemore-Protests.jpg

styl3s

Dude gets a lot of unjustified hate.

He is one of maybe a handful of mainstream hip hop artist i can listen to without wanting to vomit.

StayDead

I do believe that I need to know my place.

This might sound weird but is it not wrong to assume that white people have no place in hiphop? I understand the origins, but surely the ideal world which we should strive for would be equality in everything for everyone. No more White/Black/Asian only dominated things as people would look past skin colour and see the person, same goes for the male/female divide.

wedward

lol. embarrassing.

see5harp

I think don't think the Academy being a bunch of incompetant idiots should instantly make this dude a target. He deserves a lecture for that whole jewish thing, no doubt. There are plenty of worse rappers out there.

cdyhybrid

This might sound weird but is it not wrong to assume that white people have no place in hiphop? I understand the origins, but surely the ideal world which we should strive for would be equality in everything for everyone. No more White/Black/Asian only dominated things as people would look past skin colour and see the person, same goes for the male/female divide.

He didn't say white people have NO place in hip hop, he said white people need to know their place.

i dont think ethnicity is even the problem when it comes to music and the issue of appropriation. i thinkthe real issue is sincerity and where the music is coming from. for instance many white rappers have never been apart of this conversation because of their sincerity. back in the 90's you had EL-P and Cage (two white hiphop artists) working with black hiphop artists and on quite a few tracks theyd openly say "nigga". it was never an issue because they were authentic and their backgrounds validated what type of hiphop the were trying to make. i think people like Macklemore get called out so much because they are basically posers using a popular genre to get ahead with traditionally white non-hiphop listeners, so its easy to spot their insincerity.

jctace

Neo Member
Dude gets a lot of unjustified hate.

He is one of maybe a handful of mainstream hip hop artist i can listen to without wanting to vomit.

To be fair his stuff is a little more pop than most actual hip-hop. I do dig his stuff and have met him multiple times just walking around seattle, thrift shops included, and he is probably one of the most real people I've talked to.

wedward

That would be ideal, but that's not the world we live in.

cdyhybrid

i dont think ethnicity is even the problem when it comes to music and the issue of appropriation. i thinkthe real issue is sincerity and where the music is coming from. for instance many white rappers have never been apart of this conversation because of their sincerity. back in the 90's you had EL-P and Cage (two white hiphop artists) working with black hiphop artists and on quite a few tracks theyd openly say "nigga". it was never an issue because they were authentic and their backgrounds validated what type of hiphop the were trying to make. i think people like Nacklemore get called out so much because they are basically posers using a popular genre to get ahead with traditionally white non-hiphop listeners, so its easy to spot their insincerity.

And those people calling him out are ignorant. Macklemore didn't come out of nowhere with a pop-rap album and take over the game. The dude has been underground for over a decade and no one heard of him until one of his songs finally made it big. Then the white mainstream audience made him a pop star.

People making me defend Macklemore, SMH.

StayDead

That would be ideal, but that's not the world we live in.
Not yet, but if people keep putting up divides like Macklemore just did by saying that white people should know there place in hiphop then while you're not being racist saying it, you're still putting up a divide that shouldn't exist. At the end of the day we're all the same species, we all bleed the same way and we all digest food the same way. You shouldn't even need to bring skin colour up at all.

cdyhybrid

Not yet, but if people keep putting up divides like Macklemore just did by saying that white people should know there place in hiphop then while you're not being racist saying it, you're still putting up a divide that shouldn't exist. At the end of the day we're all the same species, we all bleed the same way and we all digest food the same way. You shouldn't even need to bring skin colour up at all.

Shouldn't.

But you do.

jesu

I guess the colon with the P means you're joking, but if not rap's roots trace back to Jamaica.

I'd trace it back to late 60's American poets, but i've never associated it with Jamaican music and I do listen to a fair bit of Jamaican ska.
Who influenced rap/hip-hop from Jamaica if you don't mind me asking?

riotous

Banned
i think people like Macklemore get called out so much because they are basically posers using a popular genre to get ahead with traditionally white non-hiphop listeners, so its easy to spot their insincerity.

I first saw Macklemore live about 14 years ago at a small club show.. he'd done literally thousands of shows in the Seattle area before going mainstream (and had small tours, as his underground following grew).

He's been a part of the Seattle hip-hop scene which includes people of a lot of different walks of life for a long time.. and he is from one of the most dense and diverse urban neighborhoods in the country. And he raps about his experiences just like anyone else, and his experiences are in fact.. genuine.

What makes him a poser?

I'm not a fan of his music for the most part.. but he really seems to get way too much hate. I watched the guy puke in an alley behind a bar in Seattle because he had the flu.. and he was on stage performing a 10-11 song set a few minutes later... that was a decade ago, and while I wasn't one of his groupies in the crowd rapping all of his lyrics I at least learned to respect the guys drive and artistry.

wedward

Better than ignoring it.

You can't just pretend bad things don't exist because they shouldn't .

How are things going to get better if you don't at least acknowledge them.

I'm not sure why you're saying "you do", because I don't. I've always been brought up to treat everyone exactly the same regardless of gender. sex or race.

You aren't in the public eye in an industry where race has historically played a large role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom