• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macklemore is the only white rapper with something to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jctace

Neo Member
And those people calling him out are ignorant. Macklemore didn't come out of nowhere with a pop-rap album and take over the game. The dude has been underground for over a decade and no one heard of him until one of his songs finally made it big. Then the white mainstream audience made him a pop star.

People making me defend Macklemore, SMH.

Just brush it off. But you speak the truth.

MIjfxSW.gif

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I'm don't think that he's the only one but Vinnie Paz definitely has something to say. Also Action Bronson, Ill Bill, Necro and Slaine.

edit
never heard a single song from that Macklmore guy. I presume his style differs a lot from the people I just posted though.

Mononoke

Banned
Not yet, but if people keep putting up divides like Macklemore just did by saying that white people should know there place in hiphop then while you're not being racist saying it, you're still putting up a divide that shouldn't exist. At the end of the day we're all the same species, we all bleed the same way and we all digest food the same way. You shouldn't even need to bring skin colour up at all.

While that's true, we aren't all treated equally. And history and context matters. Culture matters.

cdyhybrid

I'm not sure why you're saying "you do", because I don't. I've always been brought up to treat everyone exactly the same regardless of gender. sex or race.

I said "you" because you said this in your post:

"You shouldn't even need to bring skin colour up at all."

Wasn't directed at you specifically.

Did he text all that stuff to Kendrick?

He actually talks about that in the interview.

GusBus

These posts are so dumb.

-Someone says something good.

-WELLLLLLL remember when you did this bad thing

?

If someone has a history of (very recent) racist behavior and then opines on white privilege, forgive me if I don't take him very seriously.

lol dudes on this forum can barely manage the attention span of reading a 400 word article and you think you're gonna get good discussion on an hour long youtube vid?

And those people calling him out are ignorant. Macklemore didn't come out of nowhere with a pop-rap album and take over the game. The dude has been underground for over a decade and no one heard of him until one of his songs finally made it big. Then the white mainstream audience made him a pop star.

Real talk I heard him at a bar/lounge like 4 years ago. I was like who's this dude? I wasn't feeling it, but I was like dude's getting hype. I can see it damn now he blow the fuck up.

As for now he's cool. He ain't Kendrick, but ya know he has his own style and he rocks it. Props to that shit. Plus always got love for Seattle native!

let me know when he gets some serious features and collabs from other people in the industry who respect his roots lol.

I'd trace it back to late 60's American poets, but i've never associated it with Jamaican music and I do listen to a fair bit of Jamaican ska.
Who influenced rap/hip-hop from Jamaica if you don't mind me asking?

DJ Kool Herc. I heard this from a documentary a while ago that talked about skatting I think it's called.

wedward

youre right mel gibson said those things in private and not on a public stage with cameras

Mackelmore didn't say anything.

I mean there are two possibilities here.

1.) He is an anti-Semite and decided to showcase this at a concert.

2.) He made a mistake and chose a costume poorly.

Which one honestly seems more likely after everything he has said.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Mackelmore didn't say anything.

thats right he dressed as an offensive caricature with a very nasty history

not sure why a bunch of people being offended by a poorly chosen costume in the past detracts from what he's saying right now.

you're not?

I'm not sure yelling racist stuff at cops is considered private. What Macklemore did was pretty dumb, but it's not really comparable.

i agree

riotous

Banned
thats right he dressed as an offensive caricature with a very nasty history

He was also wearing a disguise because it was a surprise show, and he was wandering around the crowd hidden beforehand.

At the very least, considering his overall character being fairly solid.. it makes me not outright conclude he did it on purpose.

If he'd just randomly gone on stage dressed like that w/ no reason to be in a disguise I'd say he is definitely lying that he didn't do it on purpose.. but otherwise.. go find a disguise.. you'll buy a funny nose and a beard and a wig.. and you'll probably not look too far off from a Jewish sterotype. His story was believable to me.

Not necessarily believed, but believable.

Air

Banned
lol dudes on this forum can barely manage the attention span of reading a 400 word article and you think you're gonna get good discussion on an hour long youtube vid?

Nah, but I thought it was interesting given the Iggy azalea drama.

Plus I wanted to make a 'Macklemore is the only rapper with something to say' joke.

wedward

He was also wearing a disguise because it was a surprise show, and he was wandering around the crowd hidden beforehand.

At the very least, considering his overall character being fairly solid.. it makes me not outright conclude he did it on purpose.

If he'd just randomly gone on stage dressed like that w/ no reason to be in a disguise I'd say he is definitely lying that he didn't do it on purpose.. but otherwise.. go find a disguise.. you'll buy a funny nose and a beard and a wig.. and you'll probably not look too far off from a Jewish sterotype. His story was believable to me.

Right, the guy deserves the benefit of the doubt just based on his previous comments.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Your post made it sound like you thought what Mackelmore did was worse.

I suspect you don't.

what?

izo1rDq.gif

riotous

Banned
its takes a certain kind of person to believe that was a mistake/accident

What kind of person might I ask?

The idea of him doing a Jew joke for Thrift Shop at an event here in Seattle makes absolutely zero sense to me.. he'd have to be acting like the biggest idiot in the world.. low brow humor isn't exactly a common thing at events at museums here in Seattle. It's partly why I don't outright believe he did it on purpose. Even ignoring the time/place of the event.. "Let's do a funny Jew joke for Thrift Shop, get it guys?"

I just don't see it out of him.. but whatever.

wedward

What kind of person might I ask?

The idea of him doing a Jew joke for Thrift Shop at an event here in Seattle makes absolutely zero sense to me.. he'd have to be acting like the biggest idiot in the world.. low brow humor isn't exactly a common thing at events at museums here in Seattle. It's partly why I don't outright believe he did it on purpose. Even ignoring the time/place of the event.. "Let's do a funny Jew joke for Thrift Shop, get it guys?"

I just don't see it out of him.. but whatever.

Does it become more believable if you assume everything he does is with the worst of intentions?

I imagine it does.

What a way to look at the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom