• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or is the car really shitty to control? A slight bump in the road and you're spinning and facing the other way. It seems to be a problem with every open world game, the transportation always handles like ass (hi Roach).

No reason to do scrap stockpiles once you're at 4 gears on the map. I think the scrap stockpiles exist as a shortcut for like if you don't want to go find all the water parts, maggot farm, etc for a stronghold. Did everything for Jeet and the final scrap thing didn't do anything.

Ah, okay. Thanks. You just saved me 1500 scrap.

Is it just me or is the car really shitty to control? A slight bump in the road and you're spinning and facing the other way. It seems to be a problem with every open world game, the transportation always handles like ass (hi Roach).

Yeah, upgrades to certain parts have an impact on that. It gets better.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Car handling aside I love the game, it's just fun to play, even when not doing a quest, but the quests are really great, as are the bosses. I did a boss today during a storm and it felt really epic. A solid 8/10 so far.

freefornow

Finally finished the main story missions (been playing since launch). 70% complete-sheesh!!
Enjoyed the game immensely. That Stank Gum race in GasTown was the lowest point of the game for me (made me question my gaming skills!!!!).

I seemed to experience a lot of framerate issues in the latter half of the game (XB1), particularly "Convoys". When I would approach the group of vehicles, it became a slide show. Reset the console several times, but did not seem to make any difference.

antitrop

I seemed to experience a lot of framerate issues in the latter half of the game (XB1), particularly "Convoys". When I would approach the group of vehicles, it became a slide show. Reset the console several times, but did not seem to make any difference.

It's not your console's fault. =/

Slideshow isn't hyperbole either, it's actually below 10fps for a sustained amount of time, same shit happens on PS4.

JRW

Dang all that build up and time working on getting the Opus upgraded to a V8 and.. Is it me or does the V8 sound a lot worse than the V6? lol ..its very muffled and quiet.

Playing PS4 verison.
Exact same thing happen to me. I stayed away from the convoy around Pink Eyes for some time, then when I went back to it everything for the most part was fine, there was some slowdown but nothing like before.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
PSA for PC version

As if 40% off with voucher on GMG wasn't enough, they now have it 50% off on their VIP section.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Super easy to recommend at that price.

I forgot to mention it's 50% in euros (24,99€ down from 49,99€) I'm not sure if it's the same in murica dollarinos, I don't know if the game is 50 or 60 bucks or whatever.

antitrop

I forgot to mention it's 50% in euros (24,99€ down from 49,99€) I'm not sure if it's the same in murica dollarinos, I don't know if the game is 50 or 60 bucks or whatever.

$49.99 normally, $24.99 on the VIP for USD, I just checked.

You guys get screwed again. :p

Lorcain

Dang all that build up and time working on getting the Opus upgraded to a V8 and.. Is it me or does the V8 sound a lot worse than the V6? lol ..its very muffled and quiet.
Max doesn't rev it up when he gets in the car like he does with the V6. That was definitely a major let down. Something seems off overall with the sound for the V8.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Max doesn't rev it up when he gets in the car like he does with the V6. That was definitely a major let down. Something seems off overall with the sound for the V8.
That's the best part of the driving! The car noises shake the house when I'm playing. I was hoping the V8 would be a monster.

I am finding the game to be a bit dull. I think I am close to the end kind of, i know over halfway for sure. But I just hit a point where I need 1600 scrap to proceed. If there isnt a quick way to do this, I think I am going to stop playing. It was already annoying when u are forced to go around and lower enemy threat levels in areas. I dont want to go around to a million places collecting 5 scrap at a time, which is what I have been seeing a lot of

How often do you receive scraps from ally camps? I guess I can leave the game on while I do something else

antitrop

I am finding the game to be a bit dull. I think I am close to the end kind of, i know over halfway for sure. But I just hit a point where I need 1600 scrap to proceed. If there isnt a quick way to do this, I think I am going to stop playing. It was already annoying when u are forced to go around and lower enemy threat levels in areas. I dont want to go around to a million places collecting 5 scrap at a time, which is what I have been seeing a lot of

Brave the storms.

Depending on how much you have your bonus scrap collecting ability upgraded, the crates rolling around in the storms can have up to 450 scrap per. I usually got about 3 or 4 crates each storm, easy money.

KingKong

I used a trainer to give myself infinite scrap and it improved the game immensely

Ledsen

This isn't Fury Road: The Game, it's "First Half of The Road Warrior: The Game".

The action pieces never get anywhere even close to as cool as your imaginary description, which is a huge missed opportunity. There was definitely a chance for them to have what you said in addition to the bulk of the gameplay being comprised of driving around an empty wasteland and looking for icons on your map to clear, but they just didn't go that direction with the game.

I thought the car combat was pretty solid for the first half of the game, I liken it a lot to Burnout, but once I upgraded the Harpoon to rip off tires, it just became "Press Circle to Win".

Well that's a bummer. I certainly would've expected something like that, especially from the Just Cause team! Can't really think of any developers that would theoretically more suitable to do stuff like that, except Platinum.

Well that's a bummer. I certainly would've expected something like that, especially from the Just Cause team! Can't really think of any developers that would theoretically more suitable to do stuff like that, except Platinum.

Yeah there really aren't big climactic moments like you're accustomed to in the Mad Max movies and it's the one glaring flaw from a gameplay standpoint. The pace of car combat as is feels like the first tier of a system that's supposed to escalate at some point but never does. Like antitrop says, once you can rip off the higher level tires, car combat loses some of its punch. That would be fine if there were then bigger trucks and War Rigs to balance things out to where you couldn't simply harpoon and bash everything so easily, where convoys becomes multistage events as you partake in some car platforming/hijacking and strategically dismantling enemies, but it doesn't reach those heights.

Maffis

Love the game, but would wanted more expanded moveset other than mash x and execute. The only other skill you get is the tackle. I want more of those!

Also, they should've made the mine-mission doable with the Magnum Opus. It's tedious to do them; not fun at all.

Also, more side-quests please...

d00d3n

This isn't Fury Road: The Game, it's "First Half of The Road Warrior: The Game".

The action pieces never get anywhere even close to as cool as your imaginary description, which is a huge missed opportunity. There was definitely a chance for them to have what you said in addition to the bulk of the gameplay being comprised of driving around an empty wasteland and looking for icons on your map to clear, but they just didn't go that direction with the game.

I thought the car combat was pretty solid for the first half of the game, I liken it a lot to Burnout, but once I upgraded the Harpoon to rip off tires, it just became "Press Circle to Win".

That strategy doesn't work with armored cars, though, and they become much more common past the jeet territories. But yeah, unarmored cars become a pointless distraction when you have upgraded the Harpoon enough.

Haunted

So one terrible thing about the game and one great thing to balance it out.

It's terrible how transparent the repetitive open world design is in the various zones. It's so gamey. Structurally and in terms of tasks, every zone is the same. A balloon, 2 camps, a death run, some scarecrows, convoys, minefields. Build the maggot farm (4 parts), build the water storage (2 parts), build the survey crew (3 parts) etc etc - it's so obvious how they built this great looking, expansive map with different environments, and then didn't have the balls to leave things empty or switch things up, so they just designed one zone structurally and pasted that on the rest. They take so much care to separate the environments visually but then do absolutely nothing to separate them structurally and in terms of gameplay or progression. Huge, huge mistake and undermines the whole presence and believability of the world in a big way.

On the positive thing, and I've seen this criticised a lot, but I thought it was a big positive, is how Max animates and feels to control. It's heavy, laboured, believable. One of the most realistic run transitions and repeatable character jumps in recent memory. No fall damage is a concession, but his tumbling, stumbling, limping around after falls and hits do manage to drive home and sell Max's pain in a way that fits that universe. There'a a lot of criticism by players who are clearly used to completely superhuman characters (like Nathan Drake or Assassins or, well, literally every third person adventure character), but let it be known that I really appreciated the design decision that spawned his movement.

(He is still superhuman, of course, and the dissonance does rear its head with his combat prowess vs mobility wghen the game needs it vs his inability to climb unmarked terrain that he should be capable of traversing easily.) It's tough to nail, but I appreciate the attempt. I wish they would have had the courage to extend this kind of design philosophy to the open world structure itself.

Haunted

I'm about 3/4 hours in and I'm kind of annoyed at how gated the progression/unlocks for the car seem to be. Do they ever just let me buy shit?
Car upgrade progression is tied to story progress in many cases and territory threat levels in every other case. So it's pretty much gated every step of the way.

stuck on the wastland classic mission. Says to upgrade the jack. but can't get the baby bar because it unlocks uppon completing the mission.

duh...

Haunted

stuck on the wastland classic mission. Says to upgrade the jack. but can't get the baby bar because it unlocks uppon completing the mission.

duh...
Had the same issue and thought that was a glitch, but I think it's just explained poorly.

Make sure you have all the other necessary upgrades for the Jack equipped (not just available or marked as green). Equip everything but the baby bars in the Archangel menu and it should prompt you to go to Gutgash's stronghold once you quit the menu.

SomTervo

Haunted - think i agree, although imo they still do a great job of mixing up the open world layout a lot. Each region seems to look distinct. Each oil pump/base surprises me with a good, unique layout.

I agree a lot of it is cookie cutter though.

I fully agree re the animations, though. I HATE his face and how clean/generic he looks, but I love the heavy way he moves and the limping after a fall. The way he gets in cars and mounts ladders. The minor, but visceral cuts and blood on him after fights. So legit.

I wish more games would embrace the belly dive, though. A dive MGSV-style is so much more badass and immersive than a flawless forward roll nobody could pull off in the moment IRL.

Had the same issue and thought that was a glitch, but I think it's just explained poorly.

Make sure you have all the other necessary upgrades for the Jack equipped (not just available or marked as green). Equip everything but the baby bars in the Archangel menu and it should prompt you to go to Gutgash's stronghold once you quit the menu.

worked thanks

Haunted

Haunted - think i agree, although imo they still do a great job of mixing up the open world layout a lot. Each region seems to look distinct. Each oil pump/base surprises me with a good, unique layout.

I agree a lot of it is cookie cutter though.

I fully agree re the animations, though. I HATE his face and how clean/generic he looks, but I love the heavy way he moves and the limping after a fall. The way he gets in cars and mounts ladders. The minor, but visceral cuts and blood on him after fights. So legit.

I wish more games would embrace the belly dive, though. A dive MGSV-style is so much more badass and immersive than a flawless forward roll nobody could pull off in the moment IRL.
Oh yeah, the camp levels are all each clearly designed by hand and put together with care and cleverly inserted into their respective environment. They are great pieces of level design on their own. I always do them all even if I've stopped doing pretty much every other threat lowering activity.

Max's facial character design is poor, I agree. If they set out to make the most unremarkable, generic character possible, they succeeded splendidly. Maybe that was the intent, Max as the random gruff white 30 something everyman survivor, I don't know.

And a dive might be more realistic than a combat roll, but in terms of real world logic, once you're on the ground in a fight against several adversaries, you're done. It's not a move I recommend. :p

I really like the melee combat system in general, the different chain finishers and various MMA moves he does in fury mode keep it feeling fresh. It's derived from Batman, yes, but we've gotten so many variants of that in the last couple years that we can compare it more granularly than that. I think the closest comparison in feel is Sleeping Dogs.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I went back to it and did some housekeeping, but I didn't have the interest to clear out remaining territories. Thirty hours is more than enough of this game.

The first four hours you've done basically everything you will do in the next 40 hours. Other than looking really nice this will end up another game for the anti-open world crowd to put on their posters.

The first four hours you've done basically everything you will do in the next 40 hours. Other than looking really nice this will end up another game for the anti-open world crowd to put on their posters.

Yeah, that's for sure. I like open world games, but this gets tedious.

Still, it grew on me.

It's not just you. The car mechanics aren't as tight as they could've been, and races can be challenging as a result. Things get better once you upgrade, but it's still not perfect.

That's something I didn't like at E3, and it carried over into the full game.

Getting towards the end now, I think just a few minor tweaks here and there would've gone a long way with this game. The camp layouts are mostly great, but if there were more puzzles involving navigating them (beyond kick a door down/blow a door up), more varied objectives (beyond kill everyone or blow up all the things) and bosses and enemy encounters had a little more variety to them requiring a little more strategy, I think it would feel like less of a slog. A fun slog that I'd actually recommend to a lot of folks, but once I made it to Pink Eye's territory it lost the "MUST PLAY NOW" feeling the first 10 hours or so had for me.

Still, first person car combat is so fun.

MUnited83

For you.
Theres filters? Or PC mod?

More or less. The game has a photo mode and a director (video). You enter director mode and you can choose between filters and play with them activated. The downside to this is that it will hide the UI completely so you can't see the mini-map or ammo count. Though you can still use the big map to orientate yourself so it's not too bad.

Here's hoping someone can do a mod that restores the UI in director mode.

The game has a photo mode and a director (video). You enter director mode and you can choose between filters and play with them activated.

Whaaaat? Hold on.

EDIT: Holy Fuck I did not know this. And it does work with the HUD on. I assume the video section was a basic editor, where you uploaded video clips.

]
21046738374_5a7741b0b4_o.jpg

forrest

formerly nacire
Just started this game yesterday. Despite being semi hyped for it, I've been pleasantly surprised. This game looks great, is addictive and fun as hell to just roam around in doing various activities.

They need to implement the photomode controls from Shadow of Mordor. There is no ascend/descend camera controls that I could find and when you tilt the camera a full 90 degrees you lose two rotational directions on the right stick. Not to mention you have to hack the game to get ultrawide working in photomode.

Either way, great game. I'm having a blast and don't really get the lukewarm reception the title seemed to get critically.

Top Bottom