• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

Anteater

Got Max's gear to Max™ level and I'm kind of bummed there isn't an option to change the appearance of my gear with the maxed stats, even looked for a mod. I'd love to have the leather jacket and classic Max look with the stats of the top tier stuff.

defense don't seem to matter that much if you maxed everything else, I just wear whatever at the end just for the look

Diancecht

10 hours into the game and I am already bored. There are just too many meaningless shits to do. Plus the core game mechanics just don't work me.

That being said, I think it's a fine game. I'm just tired of playing another textbook open-world game I guess.

Corpekata

Banned
This game really does peter out once you're decently upgraded. Ground combat is so samey. Should've have ripped more than X to punch and Y to counter from Batman like Mordor did. There's just hardly anything to do in combat, even when upgraded. Not really feeling like doing many of the later strongholds when they have like 3 or 4 encounters for the same 10 mooks over and over.

They really needed some variety in the strongholds. One of my favorites was a later Oil one where there's like 7 ones you have to destroy across a vast field and it's mostly done in the car rather than on foot. But most are "get inside, Do the thing at the Thing" and little else. And man, the Top Dogs were a huge let down.

Skitso78

Shit, man. Sorry to hear it. I've still got Demon's Souls burns on one of my screens.

Hope it can get sorted out somehow.

I must have played Mad Max with similar intensity on my panasonic plasma (tx-p50g30y), but got no burn-in. Sorry to hear about your situation :(

Thanks for all the sympathy regarding my plasma screen burn-in. I'm delighted to say that after 20-30 hours of playing different fix videos, the burn-in has already decreased maybe 50-60% and I'm fairly confident that I'll get completely rid of it in the next few days. :)

New patch out today

General Updates for All Platforms:
Added optional “Vehicle roll” setting for more realistic in-air car physics.
General performance improvements.
Improved data streaming, enabling content to load faster and easier.
Improved auto-aim target prioritization.
Fixed various audio issues.
Made various GUI fixes and improvements.
Fixed several instances of the map not loading correctly.
Made various mission flow fixes and improvements. This includes retroactively resolving a conditional mission flow blocker that was happening to some players trying to install the Baby Bars during the Wasteland Classic mission after the mission flow had been interrupted.
General bug fixes.
Win64 Specific Updates:
Fixed instances of graphics options resetting to default upon the game loading for some users.
Fixed an issue which caused the Harpoon to not work correctly on triple monitor setups, and with larger aspect ratios.
Fixed several keyboard entry issues with the WBPlay Menu screen.
Made several Mouse & Keyboard Control improvements and fixes.

Besaide

I feel like I'm doing something wrong with trying to kill the War Crier in camps. When surrounded by a group of enemies it can be really tricky to aim my shotgun at the War Crier and not auto lock on to the enemies, is there something I'm missing?

Lead enemies away then run back and try to kill him. Also helps to look up when taking the war crier out. As a side note, quite a bit of war criers can be sniped from outside the camps when taking out perimeter defenses.

Edit: Haven't played Mad Max for a bit so it'll be nice to jump back in with the new patch.

I fired this up an hour ago and so far I am liking it, not loving it.

Also. Why does my car handle like complete shit? The handling is wrong in every way, like I am driving on snow instead of sand.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
New patch out today

I'm guessing the improved data streaming will fix the 1 second pause every 10 minutes or so that many of us were dealing with. Looks like a solid patch for an already solid game.

Experien

I fired this up an hour ago and so far I am liking it, not loving it.

Also. Why does my car handle like complete shit? The handling is wrong in every way, like I am driving on snow instead of sand.

Handling is pretty awful when doing precision racing but I don't mind the wonky in the open wasteland. But think of it as realistic post-apocalyptic gameplay. You wouldn't have perfect controlling cars during that time.

upgrade your car's handling

Handling is pretty awful when doing precision racing but I don't mind the wonky in the open wasteland. But think of it as realistic post-apocalyptic gameplay. You wouldn't have perfect controlling cars during that time.

So upgrading my car's handling does kind of improve the 'floatiness' I am experiencing but it will always remain part of it?

Any other tips from you wasteland veterans? Should I keep on doing Story missions until I unlock more stuff for my car, or is it safe to wander the wastes already?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So upgrading my car's handling does kind of improve the 'floatiness' I am experiencing but it will always remain part of it?

Any other tips from you wasteland veterans? Should I keep on doing Story missions until I unlock more stuff for my car, or is it safe to wander the wastes already?

The car will continue to handle poorly from my experience, but I have only finished one territory so it may improve later on. I like to finish the territories in order before moving on, just doing the story progresses you too fast IMO, you're in Gas Town before you've even finished Jeet's from my experience which isn't ideal.

Anteater

RRVyvQk.jpg

bruh

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing for awhile and I haven't had one of those freezes, so it looks like the patch fixed the only issue I had with the game. It looks and runs so good it actually makes me sad that this isn't the norm, other devs need to step up their game.

Edit: Just did it, seems less often now though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
OK so I've found something so unfun it has made me want to stop for the night, the death race where you're given a buggy that constantly wants to donut making it near impossible to finish the race, let alone win. Constantly fighting with the car so it doesn't start spinning out of control is not fun in the slightest.

Haunted

4950AD7EBA80C42666FE027DE0AFCF4EFF41F957

don't stop to take a sip during a FUCKING BLACK STORM

OK so I've found something so unfun it has made me want to stop for the night, the death race where you're given a buggy that constantly wants to donut making it near impossible to finish the race, let alone win. Constantly fighting with the car so it doesn't start spinning out of control is not fun in the slightest.
I didn't complete many of the death runs because I found my personalised Magnum Opus to be much more fun to drive than the random cars they want me to use.

Luckily, they're completely optional and offer very little reward (there are more than enough Griffa Tokens in the game to max Max out without Death Runs).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is, I want to do them, but they're so frustrating I can't, that's not good game design IMO. You literally spin out if you hit a grain of sand that's slightly bigger than the others.

The thing is, I want to do them, but they're so frustrating I can't, that's not good game design IMO. You literally spin out if you hit a grain of sand that's slightly bigger than the others.

The ones I tried usually had shortcuts, so I think you're supposed to use those to pad your lead so it isn't the end of the world when you fuck up.

Autofokus

Great, after 35 hours the map doesn't open anymore (I'm on PS4, v1.02). I googled the problem and it seems that the glitch is known since Day 1. According to some, it would fix itself by collecting some scrap or complete any objective.

I've updated to v1.03 (automatically) and nothing of those workarounds seem to fix the glitch. Completed a Story & Wasteland Mission, collected some random stuff -- still bugged.

Anyone know the best way to contact Avalanche? I assume they don't know about this, or why should they add f* Vehicle Rickrolls instead of fixing gamebreaking glitches.
Yeah, im pissed and sad - I really like the game and was eager to complete it. :|

davidnic

I have a problem with Mad Max on PS4 I died on a minefield when first started by a mine (walked to close) it was the last too (2/3). When I go back there with the buggy my dog doesn't bark any more and I can't find the mine, I look myself for like 5 minutes. The mine symbol is still on the map so I haven't complete it.

Any tips?

I have a problem with Mad Max on PS4 I died on a minefield when first started by a mine (walked to close) it was the last too (2/3). When I go back there with the buggy my dog doesn't bark any more and I can't find the mine, I look myself for like 5 minutes. The mine symbol is still on the map so I haven't complete it.

Any tips?
Have you tried reatarting the game?

Kamina777

Banned
Mediocre.
This game could have benefited from some semblance of the nemesis system from shadow of mordor, it would breathe more life into the world during the hours it takes to beat it..I'm glad Arkham knight pretty much put the nail in the coffin for the fighting mechanics, do dull after a certain point, and that's the last thing you want fighting mechanics in a mad max game to be.

ogbg

Did anyone else get some pretty terrible performance issues occasionally on PS4 while driving in this game? It seemed to be mostly in the upper part of the map

The Vehicle rolling addition is great, sometimes I'd purposely try to hit some rocks at angles to get the car flipping but prior to the patch it would never do it.

antitrop

The car will continue to handle poorly from my experience, but I have only finished one territory so it may improve later on. I like to finish the territories in order before moving on, just doing the story progresses you too fast IMO, you're in Gas Town before you've even finished Jeet's from my experience which isn't ideal.

I completely maxed out the Magnum Opus' upgrades (most powerful V8 and everything) and it still handles like shit. So many little bumps and objects in the world that will immediately cause your car to spin out into a 180, very frustrating. I think I've done more 3-point turns in this game than any other I've ever played, maybe combined.

It's fairly realistic and authentic, but it's not fun. :p

SJRB

Gold Member
This game is strangely time-consuming.

I'm just going out to take down some scarecrows and an outpost or two, and suddenly it's 3 hours later. The gameplay itself is utterly mediocre, but somehow doesn't get old.

I've been spending all my time in Jeet's territory, brought the threat level almost down to zero. It really is just busywork [take scarecrow down here, sniper there, take over some outpost] but it's never really boring.

Also not sure how it's still Jeet's base, I basically own that place.

I've done two Top Dogs, both of them were identical with only a slight variation in the area - are all Top Dogs like this?

Also - one thing that really bothers me is that there is no "self-destruct" option for enemy vehicles. It's just so fucking daft to encounter one or two enemies, jank the driver out with the harpoon and then ram into the enemy car 6 times to destroy it for those precious 9 pieces of scrap. I should just be able to get in the car, hotwire it or something or put a rag in the fuel tank and blow it up instantly.

This is one of those games that really doesn´t do anything really well, but somehow you end up putting nearly 40 hours in it, and i still want to play some more, amazing
and the ending is strange, in a way,
it fits with the character ( first movie) but it doesn´t fit with the narrative in the last three
i didn´t like it much truth to be told

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I completely maxed out the Magnum Opus' upgrades (most powerful V8 and everything) and it still handles like shit. So many little bumps and objects in the world that will immediately cause your car to spin out into a 180, very frustrating. I think I've done more 3-point turns in this game than any other I've ever played, maybe combined.

It's fairly realistic and authentic, but it's not fun. :p

Bingo, having to fight with your car so it doesn't constantly doughnut and spin out of control just isn't fun. I would have given the game an 8/10 but the vehicle handling has knocked it down to a 7/10 for me.

What are you even supposed to do in storms? Max just says "we'll outrun it" and I try and get wrecked in storms that last like 10 minutes. What gives?

So what's a good place to get that trophy that requires you to stay in the air for four seconds? Is there a specific vehicle to use or ramp to drive off of?

I got it off one of the epic jumps in the last area, I believe. I didn't try for it, just accidentally got it by doing the sidequests.

Alright, good to know. I haven't gotten there yet, I'm still doing some clean-up in Pink-Eye's region. Jeet and Gutgash are 100% clear as far as threat level is concerned.

Yeah but if I'm out in the open even in my car, I usually get wrecked by lightning.

Either get to a camp/stronghold during lightning storms to skip them completely, or wait it out in a cave/shack of some kind so you can get the scrap afterward.

Sandstorms though? Get that scrap Y O L O B O Y Z

Skunkers

This game is strangely time-consuming.

I'm just going out to take down some scarecrows and an outpost or two, and suddenly it's 3 hours later. The gameplay itself is utterly mediocre, but somehow doesn't get old.

For my money, I think the thing about this game is that whereas in a lot of open world titles you just go someplace and collect something, in Mad Max most of the stuff is located in forts/hideouts/camps/etc that you explore; and they did a really great job of making every place unique. Even though all the forts/etc. are made of most of the same building blocks, they are mostly all pretty unique so it's not as boring as it should be going out and exploring stuff.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The game has a lot of content if you don't mind doing it, personally I enjoy just laying in bed and mashing some buttons for a few hours so to me all the extra stuff is great, but others find it repetitive.

Top Bottom