• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Review Thread.

Arturo

Yea was expecting around 7's though seeing a few 6's was disappointing. Also the range of review scores on this game is quite wide.

Indeed, the range is pretty wide. Two new Spanish online magazines (which will be added later today to Metacritic, I guess) rated the game 78 (Meristation) and 80 (Vandal).

Let's see what happens with all the reviews that are in progress because WB didn't send them the review codes…

UrbanRats

Well the 5s and 6s match what I expected it to get seeing the leaked footage from two years ago while the 8s match what I was expecting after the re-reveal.

Looks like the product probably still had a lot of the genericness that was present back then, and just polished it despite the huge delays.

I wonder if this will notably hurt Avalanche. Just Cause 3 looks fine for a game being made by 90 people, but they still need to find work for the like 150-200 people in Sweden who just shipped this for quite the pretty penny.

Just Cause 3 looks fine without any qualifier to me.
Probably one of the best looking games coming out, actually.

So it's a 7 like most people assumed.
I imagine that a person who REALLY loves the Mad Max movies would enjoy it and rate it higher, right?

kinggroin

Banned
Hey, these reviews aren't as low as I originally anticipated.

Sounds like the game would make an ok rental perhaps?

Watching the video reviews though it's giving me Mordor vibes (with some car fights), and I thought that game was hot garbage. So ehhhh.

Got a buddy I trust who's picking it up, so I'm curious to hear what he says about it.

Lucifon

5/6 seems insane for this game, it's like I'm playing something different. I'm really having a blast with the game. About 8-10 hours in now and still a ton left to do. It's great fun, looks amazing too. Admittedly I love post apocalyptic settings but I still think the gameplay itself is awesome fun.

bosseye

Gamespot review seemed bizarrely nitpicky.

I'm a sucker for post apocalyptic environments, the world in this is a large hook for me. Does look suitably epic and harsh. Shadow of Mordor had one of the dullest open worlds I can recall so I got bored of that (Despite the excellent Nemesis systems) fairly early on.

Either way, I bought this today on PS4. My gut is telling me I will enjoy it. Don't let me down guts!

Gamespot review seemed bizarrely nitpicky.

I'm a sucker for post apocalyptic environments, the world in this is a large hook for me. Does look suitably epic and harsh. Shadow of Mordor had one of the dullest open worlds I can recall so I got bored of that (Despite the excellent Nemesis systems) fairly early on.

Either way, I bought this today on PS4. My gut is telling me I will enjoy it. Don't let me down guts!

Same here. I'm a huge fan of open world/ sand box games, and Shadow of Mordor's world was one of the most drab places in existence. You've set your game in the LOTR universe, and THIS is the setting you ultimately chose? MEH!

I'm viewing Mad Max as a nice, post-apocalypse appetizer before Fallout 4 drops.

Fury451

Banned
EA shits out a bad game after stealing it from Fargo. Eat shit EA

lolwut.jpg

Oneself

So it's a 7 like most people assumed.
I imagine that a person who REALLY loves the Mad Max movies would enjoy it and rate it higher, right?
I'm pretty I'll enjoy it since I dig car combat games, almost every one of them, including Rage. So if you really like Mad Max, I guess you'll enjoy it!

Lego Boss

EG reviewed it well and they can be pretty critical of games that are mere reiterations.

I trust them more than most of the online outlets, but not quite as much as Edge and Games TM.

Looking forward to playing it, if the cracking thing ever turns up from Amazon!!!

ironcreed

Banned
The game is great, folks. It's basically Far Cry meets a more brutal Batman, with strong car mechanics in an atmospheric as hell and gorgeous wasteland. If that appeals to you, don't be afraid to give it a try.

Just Cause 3 isn't being handled by the Just Cause team. The Just Cause team made this game instead. It's a valid concern when an unproven studio is making the next installment of a proven franchise.

What the....I did not know this.

The game is great, folks. It's basically Far Cry meets a more brutal Batman, with strong car mechanics in an atmospheric as hell and gorgeous wasteland. If that appeals to you, don't be afraid to give it a try.

Holy hell....this makes me REALLY want it now o.o

It's a valid concern when an unproven studio is making the next installment of a proven franchise.

partly true- the team is new but compromised of seasoned talents from other studios that all wanted to make a new Just Cause when the original team wanted to pursue this

My personal friend is an animator on Just Cause 3 and he and a group from Criterion joined and revamped all vehicle handling and explosion animations/physics- for the game

Percy

Banned
Gonna be trying this tonight on Shareplay because one of my mates swears it's great, but I'll believe it when I see it for myself.

We'll see how it goes.

Fbh

Wow, reviews seem pretty divisive. Seems to have as many 8+ scores than 6- ones

From videos it actually looks really fun. Might pick it up after a few price drops/sales

DCDW

Half these reviews feel like they're coming from sites bitter that they didn't get money hat'd.

ironcreed

Banned
Wow, reviews seem pretty divisive. Seems to have as many 8+ scores than 6- ones

From videos it actually looks really fun. Might pick it up after a few price drops/sales

It is fun and can be absolutely breathtaking. This game will get a lot of good word of mouth, which you can see happening already.

Half these reviews feel like they're coming from sites bitter that they didn't get money hat'd.

Here comes the "the game I anticipated didnt get the review scores I wanted so they must be corrupt" brigade.

Could it possibly be that reviewers are just burned out on open world games? Or that they just didnt like it?

antitrop

Could it possibly be that reviewers are just burned out on open world games? Or that they just didnt like it?

I think the takeaway is that reviewers are burned out on open-world games that don't offer a lot of variety to the side-content.

What I'm seeing a lot of reviews comment on is that the upgrades don't seem very worthwhile, which gives you even less incentive to do the repetitive side content. Which leaves you with just some ho-hum main missions and a lot of filler. I see where the disappointment comes from.

ironcreed

Banned
I think the takeaway is that reviewers are burned out on open-world games that don't offer a lot of variety to the side-content.

What I'm seeing a lot of reviews comment on is that the upgrades don't seem very worthwhile, which gives you even less incentive to do the repetitive side content. Which leaves you with just some ho-hum main missions and a lot of filler. I see where the disappointment comes from.

The fact that it is simply fun to play and has an incredible atmosphere will give many of us incentive, I think. But it's all in what you are looking for, I guess.

daninthemix

Game does look good but for me "good" no longer cuts it in an open world framework. It needs to be amazing, otherwise I know I'll burnout.

Arturo

LOL @ old-gen origins. What, not enough next-gen microtransactions? Because from a visual perspective it is fantastic. Some rock-solid gameplay as well.

Hahahaha, right, this is really weird.

They say: "The origins and limitations which come from the fact that this game started in the previous generation are apparent, most of all in the geometry of the characters and settings."

And then, one of the positives in the same review is that it's "Visually impressive"…

Tiny subtitles is an influential point of the review? I've seen it all.

Yes, amazing… If tiny subtitles should be an influential point in reviews we should lower the score in half of the games from the last and current generations XD

antitrop

The fact that it is simply fun to play and has an incredible atmosphere will give many of us incentive, I think. But it's all in what you are looking for, I guess.

Dying Light recieved mediocre reviews for similar reason (side content nothing but fetch quests), but I loved that game, because of the moment to moment parkour and melee gameplay, so you definitely have a point.

Top Bottom