• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Review Thread.

Hoje0308

Banned
dfd4fee8b212c100e10efb6efe77159a.jpg

Fantastic!

Embargo is 4 pm PT Monday.

This should probably be locked until then...no point in discussing 2 nothing sites who just wanted to get attention by posting early

Shadow of Mordor came out when there was literally nothing else. It was a weird ass barren no man's land after The Last of Us Remastered but before Destiny. It was alone, there was nothing else to play, it was still relatively early in the PS4/X1 gen. I feel like all of these factors led it to get slightly inflated review scores + hype.

This game doesn't have any of those factors helping it, so it's kind of just being reviewed as is (I would assume).

It also had the nemesis system, which was fun to play with.

It's too early to call yet review wise. These aren't exactly the most trustworthy reviewers. From what I have seen of it I went from uninterested to curious and now I want to play it at some point. Unless it gets plenty of below 6/5 reviews I will be picking it up at some point. I love the films (except Thunderdome obviously) so if it nails the atmosphere of those it will be worth my time.

DocSeuss

Shadow of Mordor came out when there was literally nothing else. It was a weird ass barren no man's land after The Last of Us Remastered but before Destiny. It was alone, there was nothing else to play, it was still relatively early in the PS4/X1 gen. I feel like all of these factors led it to get slightly inflated review scores + hype.

This game doesn't have any of those factors helping it, so it's kind of just being reviewed as is (I would assume).

Slightly inflated? Game won things like "best story" out of nowhere. This looks like the exact same thing (empty-ish world, arkham combat without the agility that makes arkham fun), but that core driving combat loop looks pretty bad.

I want this to be good. I wanted this to be good. But... it doesn't look good.

Just Cause 2 had a grappling hook and emphasis on explosions that made it fun. Mad Max doesn't really seem to have that same emphasis.

Dead.

Yeah definitely waiting for more reviews. Gameplay looks good and it has great graphics. I'm wagering 8 average.

Averages are going down across the board. We're going to see 7 become the average pretty soon.

some bullshit reviews is all i see Kappa

I mean if you read the review it seems more than fair for each specific reviewer. That said, I don't think a 7.5 is a bad score at all. Even still, there's gonna be dozens of more reviews so I hope to see it start curving up.

DocSeuss

Very interested to see which game ends up being better recieved, Mad Max or Just Cause 3.

Just Cause 3 has more stuff closer together and more room for playing around, based on everything I've seen. Mad Max has a lot of empty space because it's a driving game in a wasteland, which is going to hurt it.

Wow, a 7 is mediocre to you people,wtf.

It's like in school.

90% or higher is good

80% to 90% is average

70% to 80% is baseline

60% to 70% is "you're probably going to have to retake this class."

under 60% is "you failed."

It also had the nemesis system, which was fun to play with.

It's too early to call yet review wise. These aren't exactly the most trustworthy reviewers. From what I have seen of it I went from uninterested to curious and now I want to play it at some point. Unless it gets plenty of below 6/5 reviews I will be picking it up at some point. I love the films (except Thunderdome obviously) so if it nails the atmosphere of those it will be worth my time.
True, I forgot about that. But I feel like it was a good system that was also over-hyped as it was nowhere near as deep as some reviewers were making it out to be. I'm interested to see where they'll take future iterations of it, though.

I do think we need to wait for more trustworthy reviews as well. I was just suggesting why this might be of similar quality to SoM but review worse.
Slightly inflated? Game won things like "best story" out of nowhere. This looks like the exact same thing (empty-ish world, arkham combat without the agility that makes arkham fun), but that core driving combat loop looks pretty bad.

I want this to be good. I wanted this to be good. But... it doesn't look good.

Just Cause 2 had a grappling hook and emphasis on explosions that made it fun. Mad Max doesn't really seem to have that same emphasis.
I was trying to be polite :/

Tagyhag

Just 2 reviews, but considering all the previews that I read about, it'll probably stay in the high 60's - low 70's range. That doesn't mean it's a bad game though, stupid gaming review standards aside.

LOL why are y'all so mad? 😂 Has there EVER been a good game based on a movie? I saw these bad reviews coming a mile away.

The Chronicles of Riddick is one of the best FPS games to have ever come out, top 10 easily.

DocSeuss

It's hard to imagine JC3 not being the better game. It at least looks fun in videos, which I can't personally say about Max.

What's interesting is the JC2 team did Mad Max, and the JC3 team is the brand new American team.

LOL why are y'all so mad? �� Has there EVER been a good game based on a movie? I saw these bad reviews coming a mile away.

This is like Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 in terms of its relation to the source material. And the problem isn't that it's a low-budget, low-effort game. It's absolutely an AAA game. It's just that, like Shadow of Mordor, it appears (stressing because I haven't played) to be an assemblage of overused parts with a couple interesting ideas that aren't tightly integrated.

Shadow of Mordor had a really, really crappy world and some weak encounter design, for instance, so there were individual moments that were amazing, but a lot of the 'downtime' in the game was boring, or you'd go into situations that ended up playing out the same way just a bit too often. It's a problem with open world games in general, but we're starting to see it more and more because Ubisoft and WB are doubling down on it.

styl3s

From the Reader's Gambit review:
"Ultimately Mad Max isn’t the worst game in the world, but it isn’t the best either."

I'm glad there are some reviews starting to come out....but that none-sentence above is utterly meaningless & trite.
That sentence is the most nonsensical shit. It's not the worst or best? Just described a large portion of games.

Very interested to see which game ends up being better recieved, Mad Max or Just Cause 3.

I mean, Just Cause 3 has a wingsuit. My main mode of transportation in JC2 was Superman Mod. So they essentially are giving me exactly what I want at a base level. Plus as an established franchise that looks to have grown and improved on it's formula, I'd expect it to review better.

That said, I really don't understand the empty desert complaints from the reviewers. What else would you expect from a Mad Max game?

zorbsie

Played this at X15 a week or so ago and it was not fun. Concept behind the game was good. I felt the graphics were good for a open world game. The map size seemed HUGE. But the the thing that killed it for me was the combat. It just didn't feel good. Car combat just felt clumsy. LB to to aim, which also slows down time. You would assume that RB would fire the weapon, but for some reason "B" fires it? All this while you are still trying to maintain speed and direction led to just crashing into enemies or driving way off course.

I did like the idea of targeting specific parts of the car and doing damage to it. Like aim for a wheel and pulling it off with a grapple hook or ripping off armor on a heavy vehicle. But the mechanics kept if from being fun. I will cut it some slack though, it was the last thing I saw that day so maybe I was just burned out. Just my two cents after playing for 15 minutes.

Kade

Don't expect this to review well after watching the 70 minute Polygon video. It looked like a very average Mad Max themed Ubisoft Open World Ruleset 2.0 game with a world map that looks like someone spilled a Costco bag of Skittles on it.

Played this at X15 a week or so ago and it was not fun. Concept behind the game was good. I felt the graphics were good for a open world game. The map size seemed HUGE. But the the thing that killed it for me was the combat. It just didn't feel good. Car combat just felt clumsy. LB to to aim, which also slows down time. You would assume that RB would fire the weapon, but for some reason "B" fires it? All this while you are still trying to maintain speed and direction led to just crashing into enemies or driving way off course.
B button to fire your car's weapon? That sounds bonkers.

Yeah but in the 1-7 scale its a classic.
I have a nice soft spot for mid-tier titles, if they can provide something other games don't. In this case the Batman combat and Ubisoft-esque map filled with icons aren't doing the game any favors, but who knows what the game is like when you're high on nitrous and just want to speed across a destroyed world for kicks? Jury's still out I guess.

Vire

Didn't Kotaku put up a pretty scathing preview a little while back criticizing the Ubification of this game?

I dunno ya'll... I'll wait on some more reviews, but my hopes aren't too high right now. That's a bummer since I love the Mad Max series.

Top Bottom