• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Review Thread.

CHC

Shadow of Mordor came out when there was literally nothing else. It was a weird ass barren no man's land after The Last of Us Remastered but before Destiny. It was alone, there was nothing else to play, it was still relatively early in the PS4/X1 gen. I feel like all of these factors led it to get slightly inflated review scores + hype.

This game doesn't have any of those factors helping it, so it's kind of just being reviewed as is (I would assume).

Couldn't agree more. Release window is at least as important as advertising and actual content. You can have a great game but if it's drowned out in the white noise of a bunch of high profile releases, no one will care. Release during a dry spell, however, and it will be a whole different story.

As for Mad Max, it sounds exactly like what I expected - just a fine game, nothing more or less really. Release window, as I said above, is not helping at all here sadly.

HockeyDud

Neo Member
Neither of those reviews said anything more than a preview for the game. I'll wait for reviews that don't break the embargo.

Definity

Im close to 30 hours played on this and I fully expect to see 7 - 8 for the scores. Im having fun with it but I'm curious to see what other reviewers have to say about it. Some will be turned off by the assassin creed formula/checklist for open world games.

meanspartan

If this does indeed land in the 70-80 range like many predict, such a bummer they couldnt get it out a month or two earlier.

During the summer drought Id buy such a game. Now with MGSV and a parade of other GOTY contenders on the way, it'll be tough for it.

Rocket League knew when to release! Lol.

This thread has made me want to play that Wolverine game. I assume that was the intention.
That's why nobody's ever heard of the two reviewers, OP created them in order to push the Wolverine game.

Mad Max |OT|: You can buy X-Men Legends: Wolverine on eBay, bub.

De_Legend

Banned
Dat Wolverine game.. so good.

I remember that his shirt would degrade with the more damage you took, as well as his body regenerating little by little after getting hit.

GavinUK86

I hate his outfit though, he looks just as dumb as every other superhero. Even if he is stabbing shit.

x-men-origins-wolverine-uncaged-edition-20090423002212221_640w.jpg

If this does indeed land in the 70-80 like many predict, such a bummer they couldnt get it out a month or two earlier.

During the summer drought Id buy such a game. Now with MGSV and a parade of other GOTY contenders on the way, it'll be tough for it.

Yeah, I'm still wondering who thought that was a good idea.

That's why nobody's ever heard of the two reviewers, OP created them in order to push the Wolverine game.

Mad Max |OT|: You can buy X-Men Legends: Wolverine on eBay, bub.
Lol.
you_got_me_breaking_bad.gif

You know the game is not that great when the official thread is hijacked by a wolverine game from years ago lol...

Anyway, maybe I will buy when it is cheaper

faridmon

To be fair, Just Cause games never received the acclaim people thought it deserves and I expect the same thing here. Never liked the gameplay of Just Cause games myself, but I am extremely hyped about this game.

Thabian

The previews for this game remind me a ton of SoM. I wonder why the differences in scores?

The main reason that Shadows of Mordor scored so well in reviews was the Nemesis system. The Nemesis system gave you a dynamic way to interact with the enemies in the game and made the enemies feel more personal. It was also highly unique and something never done in an open world game before.

Mad Max doesn't have anything revolutionary like that, as a result I expect it to score pretty average, 7's.

robotrock

Banned
Remember how crazy it was when Rocksteady, the developer known for "Urban Chaos: Riot Response", took the Batman IP developed by Christopher Nolan and made three really good video games?

Well, Arkham Knight's quality is arguable I guess.
Still though, taking a movie franchise and making a video game that's better than mediocre is still awesome.

Vire

OP is actually a bitter and disillusioned ex Raven employee who is pissed no one bought Xmen Origins.

B button to fire your car's weapon? That sounds bonkers.

I have a nice soft spot for mid-tier titles, if they can provide something other games don't. In this case the Batman combat and Ubisoft-esque map filled with icons aren't doing the game any favors, but who knows what the game is like when you're high on nitrous and just want to speed across a destroyed world for kicks? Jury's still out I guess.

There's an alternate control scheme which just swaps those two. I've used it to swap R1 with O for the DS4. I don't really agree with those reviews at all though. I'm having a blast, lots of fun ramming cars and blowing them up on the move, combat is straightforward but it's good.

Similar style of both Fury Road and the original films in art, but very much it's own storyline.

Tryxx

Cannot trust 2 reviews from a pair of sites ive never ever heard of or read about before. Will wait until the real reviews come out. On that note i already have it preloaded, couldnt pass it up for 19$, my 970 is ready!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Interested in the game, but the idea of an open world Mad Max game has never appealed to me.

Like if it was an open world original Mad Max game, you might have something. But Road Warrior era onward? How much desert is there really to explore? That you would want to explore? Fallout had the benefit of still leaving lots of abandoned civilization where as a lot of Road Warrior and Thunderdome were sparse dregs of sand with the occasional small encampment. And Barter Town.

Whats with people hoping it was a dark horse like mordor? Mordor was an overrated boring game

Opinions, but the nemesis system was actually interesting for a while.

I actually got a platinum in it, and I never even bother looking at trophies usually. I did have to take a few months off though because it became so repetitious, but noticed I only had one or two to get so thought why not?

Justified

eh Just Cause 2 average around a 7-8 score, and I enjoyed that game. That same team worked on Mad Max (a new team is doing Just Cause 3), and from the gameplay video I think it was be in the same space of "likability" as JC2

antitrop

I still get upset with myself for not buying a handful of copies of it and stranglehold from Big Lots a couple years back they were like $2

I did enjoy me some Stranglehold. Hard Boiled is my favorite action movie, so I was definitely biased.

Branson

Everything I've seen in gameplay and the countless hours of twitch streams they have done to show off their game I've enjoyed. I'm expecting 7-8s. I still bought it and am excited to play it alongside MGS.

Way too much hate this game is getting but they obviously have faith in it since they have done so many streams trying to show it off. Since I'm sure they know they have to try to win over some people because it's coming out the same day as MGS. They did me. But. Of course, LOLZ MOVIE GAME.

Why did people keep on mentioning Fury Road like this is supposed to be a movie tie-in?

It isn't.

It's a standalone game using the Mad Max IP. Nothing to do with the film other than the fact that, yes, it releases the same day as the Blu-Ray (for obvious market reasons) and the character, Max Rockatansky is in it.

That's it, so I really wish people would drop the whole, "lol, movie games suck"

Top Bottom