• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Review Thread.

meanspartan

Oh we talking wolverine games?

Play this one if you hate yourself.

51501_front.jpg

Why did people keep on mentioning Fury Road like this is supposed to be a movie tie-in?

It isn't.

It's a standalone game using the Mad Max IP. Nothing to do with the film other than the fact that, yes, it releases the same day as the Blu-Ray (for obvious market reasons) and the character, Max Rockatansky is in it.

That's it, so I really wish people would drop the whole, "lol, movie games suck"

I think the fact that it releases on the bluray release tells me they are exactly trying to associate the movie with the game even if is an original IP.

^lol. X-Men 2: Clone Wars was better...

Why did people keep on mentioning Fury Road like this is supposed to be a movie tie-in?

It isn't.

It's a standalone game using the Mad Max IP. Nothing to do with the film other than the fact that, yes, it releases the same day as the Blu-Ray (for obvious market reasons) and the character, Max Rockatansky is in it.

That's it, so I really wish people would drop the whole, "lol, movie games suck"

It's a movie game. It's based on a movie franchise and contains stuff from the movies. It's not based on any of the single movies themselves, but it's a movie game.
To deny this is very strange.

poodaddy

I'm not interested in the game at all, but you guys who are saying a 7 is mediocre are nuts. 5 is typically mediocre, below that is shit, above it is serviceable, and I d say 8 and above is good.

Rizzi

It isn't.

Yuuuup.
Really wish people would quit it. I think the game looks quite fun.

Aces&Eights

Even if you think that, it was novel and carved a nice niche for itself.

And BTW - if everybody is buying the B-titles they missed last gen, pick up Space Marine too!

For me, it was the nemesis system that brought me in. While cool, the novelty wore off after a while. The overall, minute to minute gameplay of SoM, for me, was pretty pedestrian and forgettable after a few hours.

Mad Max, I feel, is a game that sounds great on paper but if you don't nail the execution, you can alienate the fanbase. After the last movie dropped and just rocked people I think the expectations are just too high. The hour long footage that's on YT is real, step by step gameplay of the finished product. I don't need two no-name websites to review the game because I watched real people playing the game and I formed my opinions from that. Unless, there is a huge upgrade from that hour, I think the game is a poor mans' Ubisoft game with a car.

napalmjam

Every mad max thread has members looking for an excuse not to buy it .Don't know these sites and the first one tried to install an apk virus to my phone .

Surprised at the number of people that haven't played Origins.
I would've, but in classic fashion when it comes to immortal or near-immortal characters, enemies were packing bullets that could bypass wolvie's regeneration and kill him dead, dead, dead as a doornail, which I thought was a little lazy.

But speaking of death, how does it work in Mad Max? Do you respawn at the nearest basecamp or something?

Yuuuup.
Really wish people would quit it.
That's a really unrealistic thing to ask of people. Of course people are going to hold the new Mad Max game up to the new Mad Max movie to compare and contrast.

I'm not interested in the game at all, but you guys who are saying a 7 is mediocre are nuts. 5 is typically mediocre, below that is shit, above it is serviceable, and I d say 8 and above is good.
So serviceable is still below average, so what's the point in the distinction?

Ridley327

It isn't.

I was under the impression that the villain of this game is the son of Immortan Joe that wasn't in the movie, and that George Miller actually gave a lot of input on the game.

I don't mean to sound like a condescending dick here, so don't dogpile on me.

But it seems like people are being a bit hard on this game doesn't it? Like two mediocre reviews come out, and people are saying they're dodging bullets by not playing it.

Not gonna lie folks. Some 6 and 7 out of 10 games can still be a lot of fun. Just saying.

M.W.

But it seems like people are being a bit hard on this game doesn't it? Like two mediocre reviews come out, and people are saying they're dodging bullets by not playing it.

Not gonna lie folks. Some 6 and 7 out of 10 games can still be a lot of fun. Just saying.
Impressions on GAF have been extremely positive. People just like to drive by shit post.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

And they can completely earn the scores they get.

I say this with all games:
Buy at your own risk.

napalmjam

I am think some are hoping it's crap so they don't feel the need to buy it because of metal gear all I keep seeing is comments saying stuff like "oh saves me money"

Dueck

Banned
WB surprised me with Shadow of Mordor, but it doesn't seem like that will be the case here.
No idea what they were thinking releasing this alongside MGSV and so far away from the movie

This. Shadow of Mordor showcased that awesome Nemesis system and looked like an overall more intriguing, better product. Opinions prior to launch seemed more in SoM's favor than Mad Max's...

And, as I've said elsewhere, the marketing for MM generally sucks, in large part due to "Magnum Opus" taking up 10% of the word count of whatever they're saying. It's corny and in your face, like Poochie (end rant).

MGS V is likely the best game in a well known franchise, reviews came out quite early and it's looking like a lock for GotY. Even if Mad Max was getting the same amount of kind press, it would be a stretch to say it's competition for "king of September first". The fact it seems mediocre will compound with MGS V to utterly bury it.

I don't want any games to be disappointing, the more fun ones the better, but I'm having a hard time being excited for this unless there are some cool new features I wasn't aware of.

Justified

Because its a group of MGS fans that feels that releasing on the same day its MGSV vs Mad Max, and only one can be good. Even though the are 2 different games, both by top notch dev teams.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Impressions on GAF have been extremely positive. People just like to drive by shit post.
I tend to take first impressions around here with a grain of salt. Most of the time I see people praise a game they just bought, as if to justify their purchase, only to sour on it eventually. That or just claim reviewers don't know what they're doing ala Devil's Third as a recent example.

Top Bottom