• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden PSP screens are here

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well Burnout is obviously a Criterion game...and those blokes know their graphics engines. BO3 visually smokes any similar product from the rest of EA.

Bluecondor

Please - if this game is even decent I'm getting it, and I will play it all the time when I travel. You just don't have a lot of alternatives when it comes to quality handheld sports games.

fifa-psp-20050105051027807.jpg

Why can it not look as good as this?

jman2050

Bluecondor said:
Please - if this game is even decent I'm getting it, and I will play it all the time when I travel. You just don't have a lot of alternatives when it comes to quality handheld sports games.

No offense, but that is EXACTLY the type of attitude that will allow EA to continue pawning this shovelware upwards into the millions. Sadly, we can't do much about that.

Mrbob

Meier said:
This game was unbearable at E3. Really, everything from EA on the PSP was.

Yeah, it's strange. It seems like all EA portable PSP games have some sort of problem. Whether it is long loading or slow gameplay, missing franchises modes, something is off. I thought the mantra of the EA portable division was to give console level experience on the go? They said their goal was no comprimises. Well they've truly failed miserably this first year. Here is to next year when they have more time. Hopefully they get everything together and deliver a decent product. Charging 50 bucks for each game is just icing on their crap cake they've delivered in 2005 for PSP.

JeffDowns said:
so far in this thread

replies: 35
views: 36

that has to be some sort of record... :lol

we don't count views in real-time, or else some thread starters would kill views to 5000 since they hit F5 every two minutes.

mj1108

Bluecondor said:

THIS is quality to you? You work for EA?

Neex

Banned
madden-nfl-06-20050713042612462.jpg

You know, all disputes about graphical prowress aside, you can clearly see the seam between the fucking ground textures. That's just plain ridiculous.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Sho Nuff said:

:lol SHO NUFF FLAWLESS VICTORY

Actually, is EA developing this in house, or is it being handled by an external dev?

It really did suck at E3. The models in NBA Street looked passable but that was only 6 players on screen at once, where here we have 22.

dark10x

Dsal said:
:lol SHO NUFF FLAWLESS VICTORY

Actually, is EA developing this in house, or is it being handled by an external dev?

It really did suck at E3. The models in NBA Street looked passable but that was only 6 players on screen at once, where here we have 22.

What about that FIFA PSP pic above? That's pretty damn detailed and blows Madden away (look at the guy near the camera...full fingers and everything).

Bluecondor

jman2050 said:
No offense, but that is EXACTLY the type of attitude that will allow EA to continue pawning this shovelware upwards into the millions. Sadly, we can't do much about that.

No offense, but this thread is 95% about graphics and EA's exclusive license.

I have been playing football games since the Atari 2600, and have played every game available. Ya - Gameday and the 2K series have been solid titles in certain years, but, the simple fact is that Madden plays a solid game of football.

It's also ridiculous to call the Madden series "shovelware," like it is some shoddy second-rate game that has no production value or no gameplay. Madden is the game of choice for millions of people who wait for it to come out every year.

And - if you want to list the flaws of the title - that's fine, but, remember, that anyone who plays football games can list the flaw of any title - Gameday, 2K, Fever, you name it..

Bottom line - if you like football - the Madden series is a great thing. If you want to play portable football - Madden on the PSP is an exciting prospect (as is Madden on the 360).

I'm not going to pass up the chance to play portable football, just because of some esoteric desire to prove a point to EA.

Y'know, it is pretty damn weird this game looks so bad, when SSX looks better. I know that they're different studios, but I woudl think Madden has a much bigger budget. Perhaps whoever is in charge of that studio isn't very good at getting his team to produce or deal with the new tech-- or perhaps EA knows this will sell no matter what, but that SSX will have to look good to sell.

Anyway, unless this gets better, too bad for what might have been a real system seller (and I suppose it might be anyway).

DMczaf

Bottom line - if you like football - the Madden series is a great thing. If you want to play portable football - Madden on the PSP is an exciting prospect (as is Madden on the 360).

Wait, you mean people buy Madden in the millions every year because of the gameplay and not the graphics? You are crazy!

Bluecondor

DMczaf said:
Wait, you mean people buy Madden in the millions every year because of the gameplay and not the graphics? You are crazy!

Sure graphics is part of it - but - the simple fact is that the game is a decent simulation of football. It's definitely not perfect, but, it has evolved enough over the years so that people willingly buy it year-in-year-out.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Bluecondor said:
No offense, but this thread is 95% about graphics and EA's exclusive license.

I have been playing football games since the Atari 2600, and have played every game available. Ya - Gameday and the 2K series have been solid titles in certain years, but, the simple fact is that Madden plays a solid game of football.

It's also ridiculous to call the Madden series "shovelware," like it is some shoddy second-rate game that has no production value or no gameplay. Madden is the game of choice for millions of people who wait for it to come out every year.

And - if you want to list the flaws of the title - that's fine, but, remember, that anyone who plays football games can list the flaw of any title - Gameday, 2K, Fever, you name it..

I'm not going to pass up the chance to play portable football, just because of some esoteric desire to prove a point to EA.

Talk about missing the point entirely.

People are pissed because this game looks like ass, yet EA apologists like yourself go on saying they'll buy it anyway because "there aren't a whole lot of options for football on the go. WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS?

Shawn

Banned
maybe if sony stops f*cking around and allows developers to use the full 333 mhz clockspeed of psp, the games would look better.

just a thought...

Bluecondor

Actually - I'm not missing the point at all.

IGN puts up a bunch of screenshots for a game that has been solid for 16 years now.

Instead of giving the game the benefit of the doubt, people come on here and look for seams in the grass textures.

To me - this isn't just missing the point - you're (literally) looking at the grass and ignoring the forest.

And - fine - call me an EA apologist - but - the Madden series is the best football game ever made. It has been a enjoyable game for 16 years on multiple platforms. I've never understood the "crime" that EA has allegedly committed with the Madden series. Again - you get lots of discussion on the lack of innovation from year to year, and the same old presentation - all of which are negative points about the game that any fan of football gaming will admit. Still though - its flaws don't make it a "crime" or "shovelware." It is a believable simulation of many aspects of NFL football, in many different ways, on and off the field.

I just don't see a need for an apology with this game....

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Nerevar said:
Talk about missing the point entirely.

People are pissed because this game looks like ass, yet EA apologists like yourself go on saying they'll buy it anyway because "there aren't a whole lot of options for football on the go. WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS?

I don't see the big deal. Blue wants to buy a portable football game. This is going to be the best one out. Let's say the gameplay is incredible and graphics are average, what is the problem with buying it? Everyone isn't a graphics obsessed gamer. The fact that you can play your franchise on your PSP and when you get home, sync it up with your PS2 to update your progress is pretty awesome in itself.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Bartman3010 said:
Jeez, I considered them to be some of the best modelers this generation. Now this.

At least its not...um....a port?

Are you kidding? EA employed developer groups consistently exhibit some of the worst modelling this generation. Look at the player proportions in Madden or in MVP- they are pathetic.

mvp-baseball-2005-20050209042005522.jpg

madden-2005-2.jpg

No quibbles on gameplay, but their players always look cartoony and ill proportioned.

bionic77

Bluecondor said:

IGN puts up a bunch of screenshots for a game that has been solid for 16 years now.

Instead of giving the game the benefit of the doubt, people come on here and look for seams in the grass textures.

To me - this isn't just missing the point - you're (literally) looking at the grass and ignoring the forest.

And - fine - call me an EA apologist - but - the Madden series is the best football game ever made. It has been a enjoyable game for 16 years on multiple platforms. I've never understood the "crime" that EA has allegedly committed with the Madden series. Again - you get lots of discussion on the lack of innovation from year to year, and the same old presentation - all of which are negative points about the game that any fan of football gaming will admit. Still though - its flaws don't make it a "crime" or "shovelware." It is a believable simulation of many aspects of NFL football, in many different ways, on and off the field.

246642.jpg

The best football game ever. :D

You guys really need to try to this game out. I never even watch football/soccer, but the gameplay in this game is just genius. This coming from a guy who is jaded about pretty much almost every game that comes out these days. I will continue to pimp this game until I get every sports fanatic on the bandwagon.

I would probably get a PSP if it had something different than what the current consoles are offereing (like 2D goodness). But, if they can make a 80-90% accurate version of Winning Eleven I think I might seriously pick it up for that game alone. Though playing it with that stick will suck. :(

DMczaf

bionic77 said:
246642.jpg

The best football game ever. :D

You guys really need to try to this game out. I never even watch football/soccer, but the gameplay in this game is just genius. This coming from a guy who is jaded about pretty much almost every game that comes out these days. I will continue to pimp this game until I get every sports fanatic on the bandwagon.

I would probably get a PSP if it had something different than what the current consoles are offereing (like 2D goodness). But, if they can make a 80-90% accurate version of Winning Eleven I think I might seriously pick it up for that game alone. Though playing it with that stick will suck. :(

Bionic, bring up SOCCER in another Madden thread and the fat man gets it!

magic.jpg

...damn, too late. :(

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
dark10x:
It's one of the reasons I did not enjoy using the VGA box on Dreamcast. Most DC games were also 16-bit, but on a normal television, the artifacts could not be seen. On a monitor, though...things were different.
That's the example that least shows the difference between color modes. Non-PowerVR systems which can't blend internally suffer far more noticeable banding/dithering with a 16-bit target framebuffer. In that mode, Dreamcast loses very little due to only needing a single dither while a conventional 16-bit render, like from other video cards of the time, can degrade color several times over:

4.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

dark10x

In that mode, Dreamcast loses very little due to only needing a single dither while a conventional 16-bit render, like from other video cards of the time, can degrade color several times over:

It does do a better job than many cards did when rendering 16-bit color (though I always thought the Voodoo3 series did a better job than PowerVR...and I've owned both a PCX2 and Neon 250 in addition to a V3), but you can't completely escape dithering.

Dithering is far from my only complaint here, of course. 640x480 with no AA looks like SHIT on a high quality display devices. Case closed. You can argue all damn day, but it doesn't matter in the end. The results speak for themselves. :)

Who the hell even cares? The fact that you are now defending the Dreamcast against a f*cking handheld just proves that you need to let go. The Neon 250 is OLD hardware. :D

I was a PowerVR supporter at one time, but the support for their cards was crap and that turned me away. The only 3D card I've owned that gave me more problems was an old Matrox Mystique 2mb. D3D + PowerVR = hell, OGL = great looking, but slower, and nobody uses PowerSGL (and the few that did really didn't mean anything). Unreal, for example, supported PSGL. However, the Glide version was significantly better looking (though the 250 fixed a lot of things).

Those cards had great image quality for their time (though I played most games at 512x384 just to get decent framerates), but they didn't work well in practice.

It's like I've just warped back 5-6 years or something. Nobody would use a PowerVR product in a gaming PC these days...and the other uses, while cheap, produces results in line with their price point. Bleh.

How many PVR cards do you own? You better have more than two, 'cuz it would look pretty bad if the VOICE of PowerVR owned fewer PVR products than someone who no longer supports them...

Can't believe I forgot to post the circle of protection in this thread. What was I thinking?

jman2050

Bluecondor said:

You are still missing the point. First off, yes, we haven't played the game, but a lot of people have, and the reactions have been lukewarm at best. Second of all, we know that EA can do better, it's just that that either don't want to or haven't allocated any real resources. Thirdly, if the game DOES end up, the excuse 'oh, well there's nothing else out there, so I guess this'll have to do' along with a subsequent purchase only reinforces the belief at EA that they don't have to try harder the next time. The situation with Madden is an even more interesting case, simply because EA owns exclusive rights to NFL names.

Besides, my poitn was in general. I did not imply at any point that the Madden series was shovelware, since you're right: console Madden games have consistently been pretty good despite the lack of innovation. That doesn't excuse EA from all the other shovelware they throw out and make millions off of.

Neex

Banned

Well, if you're too inept to make seamless texture tiles, chances are that other areas of the game are hurting also.

And sure, there are exceptions to that rule, but not often.

Lazy8s

dark10x:
It does do a better job than many cards did when rendering 16-bit color
Not just many cards... any card.
(though I always thought the Voodoo3 series did a better job than PowerVR
Voodoo3 would produce a result like in the first, grainy shot when rendering that scene in Serious Sam.
but you can't completely escape dithering.
16-bit can have only limited precision versus 32-bit, but Dreamcast wouldn't compound that problem.
640x480 with no AA looks like SHIT on a high quality display devices.
It's presented well on Naomi arcade monitors and some HDTVs and PC monitors.
Who the hell even cares? The fact that you are now defending the Dreamcast against a f*cking handheld just proves that you need to let go.
The example which was given to explain color dithering was the least demonstrative that could've been chosen and was responsible for even referencing the Dreamcast on the subject.

dark10x

Voodoo3 would produce a result like in the first, grainy shot when rendering that scene in Serious Sam.

You haven't actually used a V3, have you? It argued against 32-bit color based on its 16-bit rendering abilities. Go research the card...

Oh, and arcade monitors and HDTVs do a very good job with DC, but PC monitors do not. You will not find a modern PC MONITOR that escapes my complaints. 640x480 on a PC monitor is EXTREMELY ugly. No question about it.

I will assume, based of the fact that YOU COMPLETELY IGNORED THE REST OF MY POST, that you have no knowledge of the PC side of things. No more DC talk. Let it rest in peace.

So, how many PVR cards do you own? How much experience do you have with PVR cards on the PC? How many different video cards from various generations have you owned and used? It's sounding to me like you have very little experience.

FightyF

Banned
fifa-psp-20050105051027807.jpg

Maybe they know it doesn't need to look as good as this because sales-wise...it'd do about the same. Might as well save some money on dev costs to increase profits! :) Heheh, ok well I'm not completely serious here...

Lazy8s

The Voodoo3's internal 24-bit color quality would also be redithered to 16-bit at each layer of alpha in the scene.

dark10x

Lazy8s said:
The Voodoo3's internal 24-bit color quality would also be redithered to 16-bit at each layer of alpha in the scene.

I'll wait until you edit your post and discuss my other questions...

You've got time.

Until then, I have my assumptions (which are likely true).

Mrbob

newsguy said:
Eh, am I the only one who thinks these are an improvement over yesterday's pics? Especially the top one.

Yeah, me too. PSP version has franchise mode? That helps cushion the blow. I'm guessing there is no hit stick stuff though due to the lack of right stick? What about the new field of vision passing? I doubt that will be in there either. Oh well. My main concern is slowdown in gameplay. A lot of the EA PSP sports titles seem to run reeeeeeaaaaaaallllllllyyyyy sssssssssssllllllloooooooooooooow. The graphics are an issue but not a huge one. It is the slowdown which drives me crazy.

newsguy

Mrbob said:
Yeah, me too. PSP version has franchise mode? That helps cushion the blow. I'm guessing there is no hit stick stuff though due to the lack of right stick? What about the new field of vision passing? I doubt that will be in there either. Oh well. My main concern is slowdown in gameplay. A lot of the EA PSP sports titles seem to run reeeeeeaaaaaaallllllllyyyyy sssssssssssllllllloooooooooooooow. The graphics are an issue but not a huge one. It is the slowdown which drives me crazy.

I think it was Wellington who played it at E3 and said it didn't have the hit stick. The one positive thing I've heard about it is that the animations are good.

Mrbob

It would be interesting if EA had an option where you control the players with the Dpad and then use the analog stick for the console right stick functions. Not sure how well it would play but it would be an option.

DMczaf

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/sports/maddennfl2006/preview_6129155.html

One of the best inclusions in the game is the ability to transfer files between the PSP and PS2 versions of the game. If you own both the PS2 and handheld versions of the game, you can share a number of different file types between the two games, including rosters, profiles, and spawned games. Rosters and profiles are well and good but sharing spawned games may be the best reason for the PSP version of Madden to exist. In a nutshell, transferring data between the two versions of the game will allow you to take your franchise mobile, play your franchise games on your PSP and then re-synch your games with your PS2 once you get home.

Online, the PSP game will feature two-player football action in both infrastructure and ad hoc mode; you'll also be able to post your high scores in the mini-games to online leader boards. Using the same EA Sports Locker concept, you'll be able to post your franchise information from either the PS2 or PSP versions of the game online to share with friends.

SonnyBoy

Man, I hope these graphics aren't final. For Fifa to look as great as it does and for Madden to look like a PSX game isn't worth $50.

Maverick

To the guy who was talking about MVP and Madden's bad models:

10.jpg

I'm sorry, but I just don't see it at all, especially if you're a fan of WSB/ESPN Baseball. MVP has damn good models.

dark10x

Lazy8s said:

Well Lazy? Let's hear about your PowerVR history...

Top Bottom