• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

dark10x said:
It's not impossible that those pics weren't sampled from the in-development PS3 game prior to cutting certain visuals elements. I'm sure some of those cuts came later in the development cycle when performance was inadequate. They should have made the same cuts on the 360 version if it meant they could actually reach a smoother framerate.

I'd say it was. The shadows are rendered completely differently, its 16:10 aspect ratio and it includes none of the quirks of the PS3 version. They're PC shots.

As for the 360 version, yeah, if those cuts meant a playable framerate then they'd have been a smart choice to leave out, the 360 version was miles away from hitting a consistant v-synced 30fps.

burgerdog said:
Oh, god, it is fucking Alan Wake all over again. When will you learn?

I tried to tell him before, he won't listen.

If I was a 360 gamer I'd be hoping the graphics in the final version were worse. Least that way it might manage a playable framerate.

Wow, reviewers are some piece of shit.

Demo plays like the original Mafia, even better, im going to be so happy playing this game that reviwers can fuck their asses.
Not too GTA? Fuck them, gta is shit compared to the original mafia.

Dennis

Banned
•Planet Xbox 360 9.3/10
Even if you don’t become fully immersed in the gunplay, you’ll easily be pulled into the suspenseful build of Vito’s entry into the mafia. Storytelling is king here and Vito’s entry into the mob families is more than compelling enough to warrant a trip to Metropolis.

•Game Informer 9/10
In an era when video games are moving away from relying on cinematics for storytelling, Mafia II draws on the rich mobster film history to weave a gripping drama about family, friendship, loyalty, betrayal, and pragmatism. If you’re fond of quoting Don Corleone and Tony Soprano, don’t miss this game.

•Gamesreactor 9/10 (PC)
But Mafia II as written is not perfect. In short, does not contain much replay value, and sometimes the drives on missions will be too long. But it is extremely well told, beautifully furious and improbable atmospheric. And if I could I punish Mafia 2 for all these shortcomings. But the truth is that with a fast PC, this is a fantastic experience and a great purchase.

•WorthPlaying 8/10
Despite its technical shortcomings, Mafia II manages to become more than the sum of its parts. With a script that could have just as easily driven a major motion picture instead of a video game, Mafia II grabs hold early on and never lets up, not even at the very end. EA may have paid for The Godfather license, but Mafia II is destined to be the definitive mafia game of this console generation.

•Gaming Nexus B
Even though it may not sound like it, I had a fun time with Mafia II. In a year that has brought us some of the most exciting period games ever made, I was a little letdown by the lack of ambition. There are some good ideas here, but they are handled in a way that makes it feel a little too safe. There's nothing here that will shock or surprise you, it's just ten hours of predictable fun.

•VG Revolution 7.6/10
The biggest drawback is what to do once the story is completed, a multiplayer aspect would have been welcomed or more arcade styled missions, lets hope the future DLC is able to add some decent playtime. If you enjoy mobster games and the culture, Mafia 2 is a game to take a look at. 2k Games really has made a game you can’t refuse.

•IGN 7/10
Mafia II is an interesting mobster tale with some great voice acting and cool cutscenes; if you have a “made man” itch, feel free to scratch it here, but be prepared for a pretty standard third-person shooter in the gameplay department. The “take cover, kill everyone, do it again” mechanic didn’t wow me, but it didn’t let me down either.

•Joystiq 3.5/5
I loved the setting enough that I can't tell you to avoid Mafia 2 and feel good about it, and my score reflects that. While there's not much to crow about here in terms of story or action, there were moments when the city and the music all gelled together that were downright transportive, and it'd be a shame to miss out on them.

•Destructoid 6.5/10 (PC & Xbox) 7.5/10 (PS3)
Folks who love a decent mafia tale -- one of family ties, betrayal, and revenge -- will want to experience the world of Mafia II. Its competent game mechanics and absorbing narrative are enough to warrant a playthrough. But in the end, the repetitive nature of the game’s sometimes mind-blowingly boring missions and lack of content will leave most gamers wanting more.

Dennis

Banned
•Gamesreactor.dk 9/10 (PC)
But Mafia II as written is not perfect. In short, does not contain much replay value, and sometimes the drives on missions will be too long. But it is extremely well told, beautifully furious and improbable atmospheric. And if I could I punish Mafia 2 for all these shortcomings. But the truth is that with a fast PC, this is a fantastic experience and a great purchase.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
MMaRsu said:
Unplayable cutscenes? Like how.

I should have said very extended cut scenes.

Apparently you do a lot of watching cut scenes and putting your controller down.

rvy

Banned
I played the demo and enjoyed it, that's all I need to know. Reviews are useless apart from telling you how long a game is.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Should have my copy tomorrow. So excited!! I'm still playing the demo constantly.

Q8D3vil

Apparently you do a lot of watching cut scenes and putting your controller down.
how is this a bad thing ?!
i understand, kojima name is not written on the game :lol

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Q8D3vil said:
how is this a bad thing ?!
i understand, kojima name is not written on the game :lol

I haven't played the game. Just saying what I've heard from people that have played it.

Now, I like a good story and all, but outside of this instance, I'm not exactly a fan of watching the game go by. I'd prefer to play my games than watch them. That's a preference though. Some people don't mind a bunch of cut scenes. That's their prerogative.

CaLe

It's funny how people rage when another person doesn't like a game they like/want to like.. Actually wait, it's not funny, it's childish and immature. Cursing out sites and reviewers isn't what I come to NeoGaf to read. Take it to the IGN comments if you wanna be a pissy kid.

Mrbob

This DLC situation sucks. I might wait now to see if the DLC on PS3 comes to PC before buying. Sounds like a fairly substantial add on.

Dennis

Banned
CaLe said:
It's funny how people rage when another person doesn't like a game they like/want to like.. Actually wait, it's not funny, it's childish and immature. Cursing out sites and reviewers isn't what I come to NeoGaf to read. Take it to the IGN comments if you wanna be a pissy kid.
First: The idea that sites or reviews can't be critized is ridiculous. Particularily if they are sloppy or factually wrong.

Second: Having opinions and arguing about them is what GAF is for most of the time. Or else why have a games forum?

Third: Why should everybody else care what YOU come to GAF to read? If you don't like what you see, why are you here?

Fourth: You come off as a pissy kid.

MMaRsu

Banned
El_TigroX said:

Boohoo, as long as the cutscenes are awesome, the story and the VA is good I'm down. Smoke my blunt and watch a cutscene, no problemo ^^

itxaka

Defeatist
wtf, DLC only for ps3? Fuck that.

I hope it's on the PC version but hidden. Beware the PC magic of writing commands and trainers!

coopolon

LovingSteam said:
Doubt it since he already played Mafia 1. If one could pre purchase, play free game, and then cancel pre-purchase it would be akin to playing one game for free. Perhaps they would only refund him the cost of Mafia 2 minus the price for Mafia 1.

Yah, although I wasn't aware you could cancel pre-orders, something to know for the future. Maybe I'll submit a support ticket tonight, see what they do. If they say no, I'll completely understand and not be at all disappointed with them, since I did play Mafia. I'm sure I'll have a blast with Mafia 2 even if I pay a bit more for it then I probably should have.

itxaka said:
wtf, DLC only for ps3? Fuck that.

I hope it's on the PC version but hidden. Beware the PC magic of writing commands and trainers!

Betrayal of Jimmy and Vendetta are most likely going to be pretty much the same type of experience.

I'm thinking the Ps3 exclusive Betrayal is like a prologue to the upcoming Vendetta DLC which has been described as having "arcade-style gameplay along with new missions and leaderboard competition. In Jimmy's Vendetta, you will step into the shoes of the pack's namesake and help him clean up messes around Empire Bay (and compete against your friends to see who can do the job most efficiently and score highest on the leaderboards.

So pretty much identical to Betrayal except in story (or lack thereof) I presume.

So yeah Ps3 owners get that for free and probably will have no real reason to buy Jimmy's Vendetta unless they REALLY want trophies, which the exclusive DLC apparently lacks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:
Very good review and about what I hoped the game would be.

Perhaps you can give an answer to BobsRevenge's freeride question above?

Another staffer wrote it, but I'll ask him.

CaLe said:

Agreed. It's one thing to disagree with a review, but some GAFfers almost seem to get personally offended whenever someone criticizes a game whose demo they've only played. People keep mentioning how irrelevant reviewers are, yet the more damning reviews seem to hold enough wait for some people to get pissy about it.

Mafia II was one of the games I was most eager to play this year, but reviews-aside the demo just was extremely underwhelming for me. I'm interested in seeing what the general consensus is after people have put sufficient time into playing the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh, if you're an Aussie, we have five copies of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions, with soundtrack, map, and art book to give away.

Details here.

JdFoX187

Banned
Thankfully Amazon changed Mafia II to release date shipping, so I made sure to change it before it shipped. PC version should be here tomorrow :D

Mad_Ban

PS3 DLC usually stays exclusive too. :/

Makes deciding between versions harder when it seems to add a lot and is only for one platform.

burgerdog

Dries said:
Hmmm? I thought Alan Wake looked great.

The game, however, did not look any different than the videos/screenshots clearly showcasing its sub-hd graphics. Just because you think it looked great doesn't mean the game improved.

You US gaffers are lucky, I have to painfully wait until the 27th. I guess the good side to that is the 27th is a Friday so I'll have all weekend to play it.

So.. is the Betrayal of Jimmy meant to be played before Mafia 2 or what? Because it's taking it's sweet time downloading (299MB, by the way) and I'm itching to start playing. :lol

JdFoX187

Banned
Did Steam do something to kill the FPS limiter? I tried hopping on the demo for a little while earlier and the limiter wouldn't work at all.

Shurs

MMaRsu said:
Are you playing it now? IMPRESSIONS :D

I'm playing on PS3.

I think the game looks fine. It's comparable to the demo, if not slightly improved, though it's hard to tell because it's Winter at the point of the game I'm in.

The voice acting is top notch, and the extra "shine" given to the in-game models for the cutscenes makes them look really good.

There are funny little things happening in the city, such as pedestrians slipping and falling on the ice.

The songs on the radio are pleasant.

More impressions to come.

Mad_Ban said:
PS3 DLC usually stays exclusive too. :/

Makes deciding between versions harder when it seems to add a lot and is only for one platform.

The PS3 case specifically has a tab, under the PS3 strip at the top that says "Exclusive Content - Only On Playstation. And to reiterate the point, directly under the title, also on the front cover it says "The Betrayal of Jimmy: Free Add-On Content Onlu on Playstation 3"

I think it will stay exclusive.

MMaRsu

Banned
Revolutionary said:
So.. is the Betrayal of Jimmy meant to be played before Mafia 2 or what? Because it's taking it's sweet time downloading (299MB, by the way) and I'm itching to start playing. :lol

No it's not.

Steam said:
This game will unlock in approximately 5 hours
I'd like to believe that. I really would.

But we are talking about Valve.

Gabehittingbuttonwithstick.gif

Edit: And why no pre-load? Damn servers are gonna be slammed when it unlocks.

MMaRsu said:
No it's not.
Yeah, I realized that once I started playing it. No tutorial whatsoever, whereas the actual game eases you into the gameplay. Jimmy seems like an interesting character.

Also, I reached the cutscene with the Jesus Pose guy from the trailer - it's no longer there. :lol

Top Bottom