• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

Salsa

Guess ill have to play it tomorrow, oh well. Im playing other stuff anyway.

Seeing somewhat "mixed" reviews, i really thought this game was gonna be a big universal success among reviewers.

I still dont give a shit though :lol i want it naaaaaooww

Weenerz

Banned
This game has been taunting me since I bought it from Wal-Mart Saturday, sitting on my desk laughing at me. Damn you steam!

Anyone feel like testing whether you can copy the demo files to the Mafia ii directory before Steam starts to download the game to save ~1GB?

I did it with the original L4D and it worked well, so it may work with Mafia II and be a good way to get the game several hours quicker.

Dennis

Banned
GameStar Review:

Graphics: 9/10
Liked:
- The lighting and color settings
- the physics effects
- the cars can be nicely wrecked (damage on them is very visible and detailed)

Didn't like:
- not much variety in models for (random) NPCs

Sound 10/10

Liked:
- great soundtrack
- excellent voice actors
- gunfire and engine noises are well done
- you can choose to change speech/audio output to english

Didn't like:
- nothing

Balance 7/10
Liked:
- automatic regeneration of health
- three difficulty levels that can be changed during chapters

Didn't like:
- difficulty perhaps not balanced very well --> they say "easy" is sometimes too difficult
- the player is not free to save wherever they want
- not enough checkpoints

Ambiance 10/10

Liked:
- the game radiates a convincing mafia-mood
- nice 40's and 50's flair
- change of time (seasons and daytime) during chapters

Didn't like:
- seems a bit "stretched"/lenghty at times

Controls 8/10
Liked:
- you can save up to 10 cars
- cover system

Didn't like:
- you can't shoot from a vehicle
- drawing of weapons sometimes takes too long

Length 7/10
Liked:
- 15 long chapters
- large selection of drivable vehicles
- nice looking mafia-wardrobe

Didn't like
- nothing/not much too do outside of missions
- very little replay value

Level design 9/10
Liked:
- detailed and believable areas
- parts of the environment are destructable
- the city is a diverse location

Didn't like:
- while to city looks nice, it is mostly a facade

AI 7/10
Liked:
- AI partners semi-competent
- police cars are a real threat
- enemy gangsters are good at using cover

Didn't like:
- police men are bad at using cover

Weapons 8/10:
Liked:
- classic mafia style guns, that one would expect, are available
- shooting gas caps on vehicles makes them explode
- changing of weapons works well

Didn't like:
- not much too the melee combat

Story: 10/10:
Liked:
- the history plays during six xears
- many nice cutscenes
- nice gray-area characters that are believable
- good dialogues

Final Score: 85/100

Play time: 12 hours

Source: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/mafia-2/wertung/43581.html

coopolon

Alright, fuck it. I'm keeping the game. So what, it's only 10 hours. I've replayed the demo, which is ten minutes, like 7 times!

Anyway to cancel a support ticket with Steam?

Edit: The possibility of playing this game in 4 hours (figure an hour to dl) did play a significant role in this decision. I'm really happy they moved up the availability to midnight, but I am disappointed about no preloading.

Revolutionary said:
Yeah, I realized that once I started playing it. No tutorial whatsoever, whereas the actual game eases you into the gameplay. Jimmy seems like an interesting character.

Also, I reached the cutscene with the Jesus Pose guy from the trailer - it's no longer there. :lol

Any impressions? How is the framerate and tearing? Is is better than the demo?

cjtiger300 said:
Any impressions? How is the framerate and tearing? Is is better than the demo?
I don't know if it's an improvement over the demo. The framerate seems fine, I've noticed a few dips in sequences with a lot going on but nothing substantial or detrimental to gameplay. As for tearing, I honestly rarely notice it unless it's really obvious - I always play PC games with Vsync off to avoid mouse lag so yeah, tearing doesn't bother me.

As for the game, it seems fairly linear so far (2 Chapters in), because you aren't given a gun to do any robberies or anything immediately (I have one now)... so you're basically forced to continue with the objective.

The story seems fine so far, as well. I'm more intrigued by Jimmy's story (DLC) from the short time I played it, though. Very interesting character.

Oh, and the first Playboy is hawt. They even have a slideshow function in the menu for maximum fappage!

Zenith

Banned
- you can't shoot from a vehicle

goddammit.

Another think I dislike is that if it starts the reload weapon animation you're forced to wait till it ends before you can change weapon.

Also, wasn't the original Mafia one of the few games to ditch all the remaining ammo in your gun if you reloaded it before the mag was empty?

Revolutionary said:
I don't know if it's an improvement over the demo. The framerate seems fine, I've noticed a few dips in sequences with a lot going on but nothing substantial or detrimental to gameplay. As for tearing, I honestly rarely notice it unless it's really obvious - I always play PC games with Vsync off to avoid mouse lag so yeah, tearing doesn't bother me.

As for the game, it seems fairly linear so far (2 Chapters in), because you aren't given a gun to do any robberies or anything immediately (I have one now)... so you're basically forced to continue with the objective.

The story seems fine so far, as well. I'm more intrigued by Jimmy's story (DLC) from the short time I played it, though. Very interesting character.

Oh, and the first Playboy is hawt. They even have a slideshow function in the menu for maximum fappage!

Sounds good! Sounds like the exclusive DLC is actually pretty good! That is awesome!

Chrange

Banned
I have to say, the Mafia II instruction book is the best I've ever seen. Glorious full colour all the way through and so much time spent on the buttons used in gameplay!

It's a four page (four numbered pages, but technically an eight page booklet) One page on connecting to Xbox Live, a centerspread of Set 1 controls for driving and walking, three pages of warnings about epilepsy and warranty info, the front cover and the back cover - dedicated to the Jimmy's Vendetta DLC. SAD, SAD, SAD!

I'd say the game is .... okay.

Played 2 hours so far.

Some quick impressions:

+ Shooting and cover mechanics are vastly superior to GTA IV.

+ Game oozes atmosphere with visuals and music.

- MTV was probably right. There's about 1.5 hours of driving in the first two hours. More egregious is that the driving kind of sucks; steering is just bad. And police are ridiculously pedantic.

- Story and dialogue are pretty meh. In one mission, a character literally sits with you in the car telling you pickup lines for 10 minutes.

- Rote missions. Ex. steal car, bring person from point a to b, learn how to shoot. Same shit that's been done ad nauseum.

MMaRsu

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
I'd say the game is .... okay.

Played 2 hours so far.

Some quick impressions:

+ Shooting and cover mechanics are vastly superior to GTA IV.

+ Game oozes atmosphere with visuals and music.

- MTV was probably right. There's about 1.5 hours of driving in the first two hours. More egregious is that the driving kind of sucks; steering is just bad. And police are ridiculously pedantic.

- Story and dialogue are pretty meh. In one mission, a character literally sits with you in the car telling you pickup lines for 10 minutes.

- Rote missions. Ex. steal car, bring person from point a to b, learn how to shoot. Same shit that's been done ad nauseum.

Yeah that's why it's probably the start of the game right? I mean it's better to get those shitty basic missions out of the way before the fun starts. Plus the first mission you do ( tutorial ) is actually pretty awesome. In GTAIV pretty much a whole shitload of missions were like this, even late into the game.

Driving doesn't suck imo, going by the demo. This seems to be a love it or hate it kind of thing, since Rez didn't like it either. From what I saw on the stream of the first hour, story and dialogue seems amazing.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Since there is another thread for it, can we get through this one without trolling various versions of the game? Probably not?

MMaRsu

Banned
miladesn said:

I understand the dislike for the fact that there is nothing to do in the city aside from the main missions.. and I dislike it as well. I mean it's sad, and they probably could have made some fun side missions but it wouldn't fit in with the story.

The game is an open world game yes, but surely no sandbox game. I feel that Brad is treating it as such, just BECAUSE it's an open world.

Haunted

Where can I read Snoop's review?

Also: I feel like I can agree with most of the points [and complaints] made in Brad's review (based on my time with the demo) and still end up enjoying myself during my playtime.

Haunted

MMaRsu said:
There u go Game is craccin u heard it
:lol

Chrange said:
I have to say, the Mafia II instruction book is the best I've ever seen. Glorious full colour all the way through and so much time spent on the buttons used in gameplay!

It's a four page (four numbered pages, but technically an eight page booklet) One page on connecting to Xbox Live, a centerspread of Set 1 controls for driving and walking, three pages of warnings about epilepsy and warranty info, the front cover and the back cover - dedicated to the Jimmy's Vendetta DLC. SAD, SAD, SAD!
You son of a bitch, you totally got me. >_>

Kayhan

Very mixed reviews so far. Some seem to love it while others think its very average or mediocre. Usually these outlets are pretty close together in their judgement.

MMaRsu

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
It reads like Giant Bomb misunderstood what they were playing.

Pretty much what I thought.. I mean I love brad, but this isn't a sandbox game by any means, nor was it ever promoted as such.

big_z

can someone link me to the physX tweaks that give the game playable framerates by turning off the cloth?

going to plow through this game as soon as i pick it up... along with a new mouse.

MMaRsu

Banned
What a gem of a comment from TeamXbox forums :lol

That's actually lower than i expected from IGN

Kinda depressing seeing as how amazing Mafia 1 was. I blame the unreal engine myself!

Dead Man

MMaRsu said:
What a gem of a comment from TeamXbox forums :lol
:lol

Anyway, I'll be getting this for sure, but not until I find it cheap somewhere. My gaming budget is already cleaned out by November releases, no money left already!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
big_z said:
can someone link me to the physX tweaks that give the game playable framerates by turning off the cloth?

going to plow through this game as soon as i pick it up... along with a new mouse.

Here you go.

:( I really want this game, but I just can't see myself getting it for a console. It's just so damn fugly!

Might have to upgrade my PC for this.

MMaRsu

Banned
bdizzle said:
:( I really want this game, but I just can't see myself getting it for a console. It's just so damn fugly!

Might have to upgrade my PC for this.

It's not THAT ugly on 360 man..

Zeliard

Heh. People see gangsters and a large urban city and automatically think "GTA."

Mafia 1 was a very different game from GTA. It's a different series. They aren't trying to do the same things at all - they just share a similar environmental setting.

MMaRsu

Banned
Mafia 1 review by Greg Kasavin from back in the day..

Here you can really notice the similarities from Mafia 1 > 2 > GTA. Greg is basically saying the same thing, it has some things in common with the GTA series, but the game really stands on it's own as something different.

I think Mafia 2 is the same, and there really is nothing wrong with a good 12/15 hours of gametime in a linear fashion. It's sad to see reviewers bash this game because it doesn't have wacky side missions.

Top Bottom