• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

leng jai

This game is seriously flawed. The amount of driving is simply ridiculous and theres not really enough shooting (never thought I'd say that). Its a bit of a shame because it has a lot going for it.

Salazar

leng jai said:
This game is seriously flawed. The amount of driving is simply ridiculous and theres not really enough shooting (never thought I'd say that). Its a bit of a shame because it has a lot going for it.

Well, you're not in a warzone.

Salazar

What I hated was that I went and bought a nice suit
so that I looked nice killing people, and then I get a goddamn orange jumpsuit to wear while we pull the heist.
Not cool.

Angry Fork

Glad I'm not the only one that thought this was a good game. I loved it a lot. I didn't mind the driving because the world is so beautiful maxed out on PC. The music and feel of the game is really great. The game does a lot of things better than GTA4, namely the detail in houses, weather, visuals, music etc.

I hope a part 3 is made from the same team. They need to improve on the variety of missions as well as the characters/story. The characters were basically cardboard cut out mafia types, very dull. This is where GTA shines they always have interesting personalities in their games. I also hope the 3rd has just as many PC options as part 2 does.

Salazar

Angry Fork said:
This is where GTA shines they always have interesting personalities in their games.

I tend to find them a little exaggerated. To the point of caricature.

I agree that the game is a terrific foundation for a majestically good third game.
Send me to prison again. Let me spend more time there, and give me some freedom (lol) while I'm there. That prison yard was a wonderfully enticing and intriguing environment.

Gvaz

Banned
I just got past the
jail part and hid a body

How much left of the game do I have and is the rest as terrible as that segment?

Everything else is the bee's knees though

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Played about 8 hours straight through today... time to take a break. Usually I get bored quick in open world games, but this one has been good enough to keep my attention.

Snubbers

Kagari said:
Played about 8 hours straight through today... time to take a break. Usually I get bored quick in open world games, but this one has been good enough to keep my attention.

I just didn't have the time to pick up this game when it launched, but it looked interesting, your comments are making me pick this up, especially since it's now in the classics range!

I did the same for RDR, was very LTTP, but damn, I can't believe I missed out on such a great game first time around, this is prompting me to give some of these others a go..

This has been on my "to buy" list for some time, and glad I finally picked it up thanks to the Steam sale. Also glad I waited till I had a gaming PC cause it looks awesome maxed out 1080p at 70-80fps.

About 30% through according to the stats, and was totally not expecting (but really enjoyed) the
jail
part. Very engaging game. Can't wait to get back on it tonight.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Kagari said:
It's not really an open world game. I have ignored all the open world stuff and just had an amazing time following the plot. The story has the right amount of comedy to keep me going.

Salazar

Around Chapter 10. Just did the
abortive bombing attempt and chase down to the carpark. Am chasing Vicente to his compound.

Game is superb in so many respects. "Why Do Fools Fall in Love ?" is fucking hot to drive to. Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers so fucking good.

I am a little unhappy about the way that the game, when you are in relatively speedy pursuit of someone, throws cars in your way. It seems vaguely cheap when some Buick goes sideways in front of me for no apparent reason other than to fuck me up.

But on the other hand, I am very fond of the driving. The weight that the cars seem to have - especially early in the game - is something I don't often find.

Bought this during the Steam Christmas sale last year..along with the DLCs. I have not played it yet but you all are making me want to start it up today.

Lima

Whoever at 2k put that stupid 1000 mile driven achievement in the Jimmy's Vendetta DLC should be killed. That shit is boring yo.

Salazar

Zenith said:
PC version has a full Free Roam mode in it. It's just hidden. Why the devs decided to remove it... sounds like they were hoping to screw more money out of us.

Necro-quoting, but could someone explain this ?

Not that I particularly mind. The tension between it being an openish world and you having shit to do is part of the general sense of the game for me.

Lima

Teetris said:
Game really is like watching a good movie. A lot of people seem to finish it within 5 sittings

I would say watching a good television show. Entertains you for a few hours and slaps you in the face right at the end of the season with that cliffhanger.

Salazar

Looking through the windows.

Ass pinch.

Slap.

That was fucking great. In no way was I expecting a scene to play out while I was descending.

Audioboxer

Is it worth buying the Directors Cut for the DLC, or just pick the original game up for cheaper? Doesn't seem like the DLC matters all that much.

£9.98 vs £14.85.

Flunkie said:
Not having started Mafia II, should I play through the first, first?
Mafia 1? Not really. There is only one small cross-over reference.

Mafia 1 still stands up reasonably well but it is very slow at the start and the racing part is annoying despite being patched to be easier.

Lima said:
Whoever at 2k put that stupid 1000 mile driven achievement in the Jimmy's Vendetta DLC should be killed. That shit is boring yo.
Most of the Jimmy's achievements are cheap silly 'kill a million people' things.

Lima

Is it worth buying the Directors Cut for the DLC, or just pick the original game up for cheaper? Doesn't seem like the DLC matters all that much.

£9.98 vs £14.85.

Just get the Directors Cut. I really enjoyed Joe's Adventures and also like the Jimmy DLC somewhat. I think they are worth playing.

Sec0nd

So I plan on getting this when all my friends are on holiday. Just some questions, how many hours does it take to finish this game if you just casually play it and not rush it? Also I know there are not a lot of things to do in the city but is the city interesting enough to just drive around and explore stuff?

Salazar

Sec0nd said:
So I plan on getting this when all my friends are on holiday. Just some questions, how many hours does it take to finish this game if you just casually play it and not rush it? Also I know there are not a lot of things to do in the city but is the city interesting enough to just drive around and explore stuff?

If you are running it on PC on high, it will be the most beautiful drive around you've had in a long time. I'm sure it looks good on console, too. It's just stunning. The city feels very real.

There's really not much of a way to rush the game. It dictates the pace- you can't go faster than it means for you to go. I can't say how long, as I'm not done yet.

NBtoaster

Is this game tweakable at all? Higher res shadows would really do it some good.

Indoors and outdoors at night look amazing but during the day the low shadows hurt the visuals a bit.

Though I say again, indoors and nightime are amazing.

Amneisac

I just played this not too long ago myself and I was literally baffled at the review scores. It is one of the best games I've played in a long time. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, gunplay and voice acting. I actually cared about the characters and felt invested in what happened to them. I don't know why it didn't get better reviews.

Gvaz

Banned
NBtoaster said:
Yeah, the driving feels very good. Not floaty or slidey like so many other games.

Depends on which car you get.

I really wish that this supported better mods on the PC. Right now it's just texture shit.

I also wish there were sidequests but the whole city serves as visual for you to look at inbetween missions, there's no real reason to explore anything.

also there's
15 chapters, so since I started chapter 7 that means I'm basically half done. I think another 5-10 hours and I'll beat this game and can work on the other dlc like vendetta or w/e.
I don't care about 100% completion though.

Top Bottom