• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

I tried to get into Mafia II, especially after playing L.A. Noire. I really wanted another period piece set in th 1940's. The game definitley delivered in the sound and presentation department (especially liked the changing of seasons. Probably the only other game Ive seen that does this next to Bully), however I found the gameplay to be a bit stale and janky. On top of that, the over the shoulder perspective when your indoors was annoying as hell and the gunplay physics couldve been improved upon.

Traded it in for Bayonetta two days afterwards and have not regretted since.

Soroc

Just started playing this weekend. I'm only up to chapter 4 but man the game sure is tight.

Production values, voice acting, cover system and shooting mechanics, even the car handling is all pretty tight.

Really digging Vito as a main character as well.

The game seems very focused and thats a good thing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kagari said:
This mission
at the docks when you have to kill the Derik is fucking hard
. D:
I raged so hard at that mission on Hard because of how long the checkpoint was. It felt damn good when I beat it though.

Of course then I read that someone
parked a car halfway into the garage so the door wouldn't shut all the way and then they picked off everyone from outside easily.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Stallion Free said:
I raged so hard at that mission on Hard because of how long the checkpoint was. It felt damn good when I beat it though.

parked a car halfway into the garage so the door wouldn't shut all the way and then they picked off everyone from outside easily.

:OOO

I should try that.

Kagari said:
This mission
at the docks when you have to kill the Derik is fucking hard
. D:
Yeah, that was the hardest for me. I finally came up with a strategy where I drove the car in all the way to the back so I was under the enemies.

1-D_FTW

Red Blaster said:
Can someone tell me how this game handles PhysX on a single GTX 570 (or similar card) with no dedicated PhysX GPU?

I ran it on a 460. I disabled the cloth physics and kept the world physics at full. To me that was much more impactful and doesn't carry nearly the performance hit that the clothes do.

You have to delete files from the folder to do this. And although your card is a little faster than mine, if you value framerate, it's a move I recommend. You'll get good framerate and the vast majority of the good stuff with this method.

NBtoaster

Red Blaster said:
Can someone tell me how this game handles PhysX on a single GTX 570 (or similar card) with no dedicated PhysX GPU?

I run it on a single 570 and most of it is a solid 60fps at 1080p. Some firefights drop down to 30fps or so because of all the small bits of rubble that come from physx, but for the most part it's very solid.

Salazar

I'm also on a single 570. Runs great.

Just bit on the DLC by getting the 2K pack. I will emit howls of joy if/when Mafia 3 is announced.

Last mission can be glitched if it gets too frustrating for anyone. Something about suiciding in the water and respawning in the office upstairs (I forget, but I read about it in this thread). Makes it ten times easier. I just had to after about 30 legit attempts.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
NEOPARADIGM said:
Last mission can be glitched if it gets too frustrating for anyone. Something about suiciding in the water and respawning in the office upstairs (I forget, but I read about it in this thread). Makes it ten times easier. I just had to after about 30 legit attempts.
I feel like a deserve an achievement now for doing it in less than 30 attempts and without a single glitch on a 360 pad (mouse would have made it easier as well).

Sysgen

Digging this until I wake up in an apartment and have to answer the phone. Told to drive somewhere and speak to someone. Sounds easy enough. Well it's no short trip, got there and triggered a cut scene. Fine. Time for bed figuring the game would save. Nope. It wants me to make the same pointless drive I had already made. Hate with a passion games like this. I could understand redoing an important part of a story but having to redo something that is not important just reeks of monotony.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
I feel like a deserve an achievement now for doing it in less than 30 attempts and without a single glitch on a 360 pad (mouse would have made it easier as well).

I did on a 360 pad and had driving physics set to sim.

Wanted to smash it a couple times after I got cocky at the end, didn't ease up, and crashed for no good reason. Still, it was under 30 times. Might have been in the 20s, but definitely under 30:)

[Nintex]

Bought this during the Steam sale, impressions were all over the place to be honest.

At first it starts out too slow there's not really a connection with anyone like in Mafia. Then the
prison which was kinda dissapointing too...
. After a while the game picks up steam, it goes into what I call overdrive and you actually start to care about what is happening. Then it ends and you're like 'that's it?'... the ending to me is really weak. I expected to take down more big guys than just
Falcone

It's hard to live up to the first Mafia and the game does a pretty good job but a lot of elements are missing. The characters were much more interesting in the first game and their bonds were much stronger.

bjscott05

Thanks to the recent good impressions I purchased this game last Sunday and finished it today on PS3. It is a very good game and I have to say I did enjoy it more than GTA IV.

I loved the cinematic feel of the game even if it does make it feel more linear. It places more emphasis on the story, which I like.

Like others have said, I don't like the fact that personal money is worthless. You cant really buy too many guns or different types of clothes. That was one great thing about The Godfather game- it was really cool dressing up your gangster.
KuGsj.gif

I wish there were more to do in the game- side missions or something like that. But I guess that's what DLC is for.

My only other complaint is that it was a pretty short game. I finished it in about 10.5 hours which isn't bad, but I guess I enjoyed it so much that I wanted more.

If I had to sum up my feelings on this game I would say it is kind of short, but very sweet. I highly recommend this game, especially at the low price point it is at today.

bjscott05 said:
I highly recommend this game, especially at the low price point it is at today.

No question.

The main thought that continued to hit me while I played this was, if this game had come out before GTA IV, it would be the 9.8 on Metacritic. Sans the sandbox element, it gets everything right that GTA IV got wrong, imo.

I really want to play this game but I cant decide if I should grab it on console (360) or Onlive..

has anyone played both?

Edit: went ahead and grabbed it on 360 for 25 dollars (the platinum edition)

kevm3

Yeah, this was a great game. Definitely an overlooked gem. Played and beat it on PC and definitely enjoyed it more than GTA 4.

kevm3 said:
Yeah, this was a great game. Definitely an overlooked gem. Played and beat it on PC and definitely enjoyed it more than GTA 4.

Flawed, but enjoyable. I gave my copy away but recently repurchased the Greatest Hits ed for 15 bucks, which includes all the DLC.

Gvaz said:
Should have gotten it for the PC instead, it looks fucking great there.

If I had a capable gaming PC I would have, the onlive version looks pretty good but since it is streaming the game it has some fuzzy graphics, the 360 one is still better imho.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I finally booted this up after buying it during the Steam sale. It runs great, the city is detailed and inviting (the winter season helps), and even the opening sequence was unexpected but refreshing thanks to fairly easy gunplay mechanics and setting. I'm only 30 minutes in but now very interested. Good recommendation, GAF.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Stallion Free said:

I was livid while playing that level. I found an easy way of dealing with that part of the game, and I'd love to share it, but I don't know how to put the black line over the text to protect from spoilers. Could someone tell me how to do so?

I'm on about chapter 6 or 7 and Vito just isn't a likable character. I haven't played Mafia in years but I'm fairly sure the protagonist was coerced into the lifestyle. Vito doesn't really seem motivated to lead an honest life.

Rflagg

Stallion Free said:

Holy hell going try this, the stupid
Molotov cocktails are as annoying as heck.
I actually restarted and beat it on medium due to this mission.

ShinUltramanJ said:
I was livid while playing that level. I found an easy way of dealing with that part of the game, and I'd love to share it, but I don't know how to put the black line over the text to protect from spoilers. Could someone tell me how to do so?
spoiler] at the beginning of spoiler

[/spoiler] at the end of spoiler
Edited out first bracket because it was spoiler tagging instructions

gdt

snoopeasystreet said:
I'm on about chapter 6 or 7 and Vito just isn't a likable character. I haven't played Mafia in years but I'm fairly sure the protagonist was coerced into the lifestyle. Vito doesn't really seem motivated to lead an honest life.

I don't think a desire to lead an honest life has anything to do with being a likable character.

But yes, Vito is a weak character. He didn't really have a personality, or any wish or goals.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Rflagg said:
Holy hell going try this, the stupid
Molotov cocktails are as annoying as heck.
I actually restarted and beat it on medium due to this mission.

spoiler] at the beginning of spoiler

[/spoiler] at the end of spoiler
Edited out first bracket because it was spoiler tagging instructions

Thanks going to give it a shot..
I found that you could drive the car all the way inside, which helped a lot because I was able to park it underneath the walkway, where a lot of the baddies are. So not only as the upper level guys unable to hit you, but they also can't hit you and your surroundings with molotoc cocktails. So now you're free to polish off the guys on the same level as you, and then pick off the guys on the walkway as they come down the steps to go after you. Once all baddies are cleared, just head up the steps to finish off what's his face.

Sorry if I've forgotten names, it's been a little while since I've played it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PC GAF: have any of you had troubles forcing AA in this game? I tried to use my trusty Nvidia Inspector to force 8XMSAA, and it didn't seem to work - if anything the jaggies were worse, and the objects/structures look like crap from a distance, very blurry. I found it's profile code (0x000d02c4) and pasted it into the compatibility box, but it looked the same as it did before. Have any of you successfully forced AA with an Nvidia card?

prease help

here is an image of my problem:

oh the humanity

a1m

Banned
I started the game on PC yesterday and after playing 2-3 hours I think it's great. I bought the original Mafia day 1 and it was probably the best pc games out there and I loved it but after the ending I was kind of doubtful jumping to this.

The game looks gorgeus with everything on max except physx (I have 6950 & 6 cores). I was blown away with the winter setting and I just drove around the city collecting snow to my wheels and I loved it. Not many games capture winter/snowy environments this good.

Looking forward completing the game.

The stupid thing about driving was, half the time, you'd be in someone else's car. so it's like, "We'll take my car, but you drive." Well fuck you, it looks way more fun to be hanging out the window shooting!

If they had alternated between driving and shooting as a passenger, it would have added much more to the game, I think. They would both still seem somewhat fresh near the end.

Also, and I know I'm late to the party on this, my illusion was shattered every time Joe speaks because he sounds exactly like Fred Flintstone.

Started it a couple days ago, after nabbing it in one of the deals at Steam. 3 hours in, 5 chapters so far, pretty much love the setting and atmosphere. Gunplay is meh, but the cover system makes things a bit more bearable during intense gunfights. Are there really only 3 radio stations? I liked the period music at first, but a couple hours after, I'm getting this strange vibe that every single song sounds very similar to the rest.

How come I only have like 2 playboy magazines this far into the game? I suck at finding nude ladies.

Salazar

SteelAttack said:
Are there really only 3 radio stations? I liked the period music at first, but a couple hours after, I'm getting this strange vibe that every single song sounds very similar to the rest.

The music switches decades later in the game. You'll have a heap of new stuff to listen to.

Well, maybe not a heap. But it will be new.

Even just reading this thread, I can hear Joe shouting "You're fuckin dead !"

Top Bottom