• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
635870637523658912.jpg

Forced-Will Eldrazi - 2R
Creature - Eldrazi Drone (R)
Devoid
When you cast Forced-Will Eldrazi, you may pay 1C. If you do, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.
Haste
3/1

Compare to Zealous Conscripts
Image.ashx

It's weaker on the top end, but it has the potential to be cast as a 3/1 haste creature for 2R, and the Act of Treason part can't be countered normally since it's a triggered ability.

EDIT: Apparently some people have been getting fooled by a fake translation claiming it's a red Force of Will. Seriously?

Ashodin

The circle is probably forcing the Eldrazi off the plane and keeping them away. Which is another problem in and of itself.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My favorite guy is the guy who comments on every new Magic card:

"I hate standard and only love Modern and Legacy and this card isn't good in it therefore fuck this card" despite the fact that this dumb sentence applies to 95+% of the cards in every set.

More information about previous Kozilek-brood mechanics
magistermystax asked: In your latest Making Magic, you said the team experimented with altering game rules and/or inverting certain keywords when Kozilek was around. Can you give some examples?

We tried making some anti-keywords. Anti-Lifelink, as an example, made you lose 1 life for every damage the creature dealt.

The only evergreen mechanics that have workable anti versions are lifelink, prowess (-1/-1 until end of turn), and haste (enters the battlefield tapped) as far as I can tell, and there aren't that many creatures with those keywords. It's a fun idea, but it wouldn't have worked out well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
More information about previous Kozilek-brood mechanics

The only evergreen mechanics that have workable anti versions are lifelink, prowess (-1/-1 until end of turn), and haste (enters the battlefield tapped) as far as I can tell, and there aren't that many creatures with those keywords. It's a fun idea, but it wouldn't have worked out well.

Flying ----> Can only be blocked by creatures without flying (?)
Lifelink ----> Lose life instead of gain
Trample ----> Additional damage assigned to self
First Strike ---> the Mythical THIRD STRIKE
Double Strike ----> Deals no combat damage
Haste ----> ETB tapped
Vigiliance ----> Taps when attacks, doesn't untap during next untap
Menace ---> Can't be blocked by more than 1
Prowess ---> -1/-1 until end of turn
Defender ----> Can't block
Scry ---> Fateseal (lol)

Wouldn't Anti-Scry just be shuffling your library.

And anti-flying would be can only block creatures with flying and can only be blocked by creatures without flying.

Angry Grimace

But there's no Street Fighter game named "Last Strike"

Angry Grimace

Two sexy flying blondes wearing dumb robes. Look the same to me.

Sexy Flying Blondes would be a good name for an indie rock band.

Is there even an explanation for why the Angels on Zendikar have their halos around their eyes (because they're sad about getting owned by the Eldrazi, except apparently the condition is forced for reasons) except for Linvala and Iona (who I can't even explain her existence, much less why she's SIXTY FEET TALL)

Ashodin

The explanation is art inconsistency

Also Iona is one of the only angels who is a manifestation of the belief in Emrakul as a god, which is why she's so fucking huge

Linvala is most likely previous slush art, so they had to keep her the same in the next art (ha).

And Iona being sixty feet tall is awesome

tumblr_nt13unqct91u9beo8o1_1280.jpg

for giantess fetishists

Opposite of double strike would be a creature hitting again after simultaneous regular damage is applied, if said creature is still alive and still has a living blocker.

So I guess it only matters with two fat-asses fighting.

Angry Grimace

I wonder if Iona gets another card or what.

kirblar

I think the colors weren't so well planned out.

That or they hate Mono Red.
Red is MaRo (and others) being ridiculously stubborn about something that's clearly an overarching design issue- they need something to interact with enchantments - it just doesn't have to be a good something.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Red is MaRo (and others) being ridiculously stubborn about something that's clearly an overarching design issue- they need something to interact with enchantments - it just doesn't have to be a good something.

I was talking about this actually:
I need to get my wife on this: (she just started knitting and crocheting)
Got my pages mixed up.

Angry Grimace

It would actually be pretty cool if Iona just sort of disappeared because Emrakul is gone now.

They could still give her another card I guess. The only thing I see about her story at all is:

"Iona was one of these great angels. To this day Iona fights to defend Zendikar from the Eldrazi forces that would devour it, but even her legacy has become tainted by the power of the Eldrazi. Her formidable power does nothing to fend off the bizarre colorless magic of the Eldrazi titans. And the epithet given to her by her adherents, the "Shield of Emeria," ties her to a distorted vision of ancient Emrakul. Everything she's done to fight the Eldrazi has ironically served as a tool for the ætheric horrors' cause."

Which hardly suggests she has some kind of actual tie to Emrakul's power.

Or she shows up on Innistrad in place of Avacyn.

I mean, I don't think she can Planeswalk so she's either another card here or she just vanished from the planet.

Angry Grimace

I mean I guess it's theoretically possible if they were going for Mythic balance there should be another black mythic and another white mythic.

1. Mirrorpool C
2. Kozilek, the Great Distortion C
3. World Breaker G
4. Nissa, Voice of Zendikar G
5. Chandra, Flamecaller R
6. Kozilek’s Return R
7. Sphinx of the Final Word U
8. Crush of Tentacles U
9. Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet B
10. ?? (B?)
11. Linvala, the Preserver W
12. ?? (W?)

IIRC, they fucked up on the Halos in BFZ because they changed from Zen->ROE.

Actually I think I was wrong there. The short answer from the Arcana just says it changed between ZEN and ROE, but the Planeswalker's Guide has more info: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/stf/86

tl;dr Iona doesn't have one because she's a super powerful archangel; Linvala is a new angel from the ROE period and those new angels don't have halos; many old angels still have them.

Ashodin

I mean I guess it's theoretically possible if they were going for Mythic balance there should be another black mythic and another white mythic.

1. Mirrorpool C
2. Kozilek, the Great Distortion C
3. World Breaker G
4. Nissa, Voice of Zendikar G
5. Chandra, Flamecaller R
6. Kozilek’s Return R
7. Sphinx of the Final Word U
8. Crush of Tentacles U
9. Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet B
10. ?? (B?)
11. Linvala, the Preserver W
12. ?? (W?)

here's the black one

PjZHJOy.png

Lucario

Holy shit

en_3Ho3agC4hr.png

This seems super super super strong.

As someone who plays 4c rally and hates almost every sideboard option available, this card is a godsend.

It buys you two turns against Anafenza, which will usually be enough to win the game in the Abzan Aggro matchup. I think this alone might be enough justification to trim down on Murderous Cut for a few copies of this.

If you're behind, it's a blocker and keeps their biggest creature at bay for two turns. Even the fliers that rally has so much trouble with (Mantis Rider) will have to wait.

If you're racing because you lack a Rally, it provides a relevant body and gets their biggest blocker off the board.

If you're lucky enough to hit one off CoCo, it can prevent three attacks from a single creature, or two from a Mantis Rider.

I might just be overhyped, but it seems to cover a lot of the deck's biggest weaknesses. Gonna test a 1/3 split to start with.

Angry Grimace

As someone who plays 4c rally and hates almost every sideboard option available, this card is a godsend.

It buys you two turns against Anafenza, which will usually be enough to win the game in the Abzan Aggro matchup. I think this alone might be enough justification to trim down on Murderous Cut for a few copies of this.

If you're behind, it's a blocker and keeps their biggest creature at bay for two turns. Even the fliers that rally has so much trouble with (Mantis Rider) will have to wait.

If you're racing because you lack a Rally, it provides a relevant body and gets their biggest blocker off the board.

If you're lucky enough to hit one off CoCo, it can prevent three attacks from a single creature, or two from a Mantis Rider.

I might just be overhyped, but it seems to cover a lot of the deck's biggest weaknesses. Gonna test a 1/3 split to start with.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was actually something that would beat Anafenza or Kalitas.

I mean it's not a bad deck but killing Anafenza isn't enough to win the game most of the time unless your opponent isn't doing anything else.

red13th

I was drafting my cube on Cubetutor and ended up with a fun Temur pool (everything in it was Temur, even the lands, pretty cool I guess).

OSEnASb.jpg

Not sure if the deck I built is the best one but it has Crystal Shard + Mystic Snake and Precursor Golem + Electrolyze, oh and BBE into Visions. :p
Maybe I should switch Wanderer with Pia and Kiran for Golem bombs.

Yeef

Not sure how you're getting 3 attacks. If you CoCo on their turn, then they can recast on their next turn.

Jhriad

a) I hadn't seen the B/x Eldrazi stuff pop up until yesterday. I don't care what I "should" have done- what you do going forward matters.

Sure, I just wanted to caution everyone not to jump in head first without taking into account that the card is already mid price spike. It could see continued growth but I think the realistic price ceiling is around $20 point and it'll eventually settle down below that.

b) Spellskite has more copies in print than Eye, is played in less volume overall than Eye, and is a non-essential SB card

That's massaging the numbers a bit. Across the decks that play EoU it averages an even 2.0 copies while decks that use Spellskite average 1.6 copies. So, yes, as far as the average number of copies per deck, EoU is used in larger numbers but that's ignoring the fact that EoU is only used in 8.26% of Modern decks whereas Spellskite is used in 52.85%. Hell, it's even a one or two-of in a lot of the sideboards of most of those B/x Eldrazi decks (UB apparently mainboards a playset) so it's seeing almost as much use in those decks as EoU. One-of use in rare EDH decks isn't going to make up that difference.

d) Eye is the fulcrum of the deck price-wise because the rest of the deck is dirt-cheap. It is the supply constraint because without it/Temple, the deck just doesn't work. Because the deck is dirt-cheap, players can easily pick up most of the deck, which then pressures the part of the deck most limited- hence, Eye skyrocketing.

Fair point but there's only so far that it can go and I don't think it's much farther beyond the current value. Just because it's a cheap deck doesn't mean that one card, or a few cards, will spike hard enough to add a couple hundred dollars to that average price. Temple is close to price capped so long as the Eldrazi v Zendikar DD remains in print since it's price spike has already bumped the EV of that package a lot closer to what it's retailing for. EoU might see further gains but I think they're probably temporary and it'll eventually settle in around the current $15 price point. This spike is going to pull a lot of MM2015 copies out of storage and sate a good bit of this demand. We could see additional movement after the Pro Tour and into Modern season but we'll have to see how the deck does.

Lucario

Wouldn't it be nice if there was actually something that would beat Anafenza or Kalitas.

I mean it's not a bad deck but killing Anafenza isn't enough to win the game most of the time unless your opponent isn't doing anything else.

Mostly I just hate the Warden -> level up warden-> Anafenza line. Unless you've got two fetchlands and a Murderous Cut in your opener, it's insanely difficult to beat on the draw.

Wouldn't say answering her isn't enough most of the time, though. If she's not coming out in a situation where you need to chump on the same turn, answering Anafenza is huge, since the rest of their deck (with the exception of Wingmate Roc) is your dream matchup. It's a bunch of dorky creatures you can block forever.

And that's the most frustrating thing about Abzan Aggro. It'd pretty much be a bye if Anafenza didn't exist.

Not sure how you're getting 3 attacks. If you CoCo on their turn, then they can recast on their next turn.

Damn, good point. CoCo just makes it so they can't recast it on the same turn. It's annoying, but I still like the card a lot.

Things are starting to look up! 3-0/6-0 with this glorious pile of cards.

My favorite moment was Counterspelling a Kiki-Jiki, then casting Animate Dead mid-combat off of a Shelldock Isle to get the Kiki-Jiki and copy a Myr Battlesphere for the super blowout. Also Tinkering out Blightsteel never gets old. :D

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Things are starting to look up! 3-0/6-0 with this glorious pile of cards.

My favorite moment was Counterspelling a Kiki-Jiki, then casting Animate Dead mid-combat off of a Shelldock Isle to get the Kiki-Jiki and copy a Myr Battlesphere for the super blowout. Also Tinkering out Blightsteel never gets old. :D

Casually draft an actual vintage deck. GG world.

Huh
vinylcaledscratch asked: today's my birthday, can i get some trivia on the Simic Combine or the Mardu Horde? thank you for all the work you've done on this great game all these years.

The Mardu was originally called Mordu but Mordu was the bear antagonist from “Brave” so we changed it.

Happy Birthday!

Casually draft an actual vintage deck. GG world.

The Crucible is actually bad. I submitted and played a full game before realizing that none of my fetches wheeled and I have nothing to get back. There's a Zuran Orb in the board, plus the Diamond and the Thirst that "combo" with it, but it was actually kind of embarrassing. Fortunately the rest was bonkers.

y2dvd

Tonight's draft went well. Had Woodland Wanderer and was able to cast it for the full converge cost at t4 pretty consistently, and I wasn't even running any mana fixing and only splashed 1 mana of every color not G or B lol. Then I had a few Mortuary Mires to bring it back. Sometimes you run good hehe. I forget, is draft gonna be ABB or AAB?

Tonight's draft went well. Had Woodland Wanderer and was able to cast it for the full converge cost at t4 pretty consistently, and I wasn't even running any mana fixing and only splashed 1 mana of every color not G or B lol. Then I had a few Mortuary Mires to bring it back. Sometimes you run good hehe. I forget, is draft gonna be ABB or AAB?

It's going to be BBA. It shifted over to drafting the small set first back in Theros block, and this block is changing it so that you draft two packs of the small set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom