• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

It happens to everyone from time to time. I still remember inadvertently cheating with the spider spell at the innistrad prerelease.

Except when someone well-known as a decent competitive player drops that vampire lord that cost 1BBB with incorrect mana, I fail to notice it within the span of a single turn, and he shrugs, goes "oh well, my bad" and goes on with the game.

Things like that were part of the reason I decided to become a judge myself, since fuck those guys who pretend to be "pro" but go all cheatyface as long as they can get away with it (he was also friends with the store's judges, who were often partial towards their regular patrons).

A happier "cheat" I heard was from a pair of judges who were playing 2HG, and it wasn't a cheat as much as their opponents misreading a card. They had that Gharial that has shroud from Alara that'd grow whenever a creature died, and they noticed their opponents were really worried about it while letting it through all the time. After a while, one of their opponents says "dang, it flies", and the judges noticed their opponents had just misread the card's ability as "Vuela" (flying) instead of "Velo" (shroud).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I tried to destroy a guy's island with Tectonic Edge yesterday lol. Also I told a guy his Disregard wouldn't work on my Jwar Isle Avenger because I thought it worked like Abrupt Decay :-V

Joe Molotov

I thought Kalitas had flying for 2 consecutive games and only realized it didn't right at the end of Game 3 in time to barely pull out a win. I also forgot Dromoka's Command can prevent burn. I am reel gud at majik, gais.

I ended up going 4-1 and pulling a Kalitas out of my prize packs, though. Thank you God, for looking out for little children and idiots.

ultron87

If someone plays a mana taxing card I will undoubtedly screw it up at least once per match. Even if it's my card. It was a damn miracle I got through GP Vegas day 1 with only a single warning despite having Lodestone Golem in my deck.

JulianImp

My best crappy play was thinking Naya Charm could bolt players and closing two or three games with it at a small store FNM. Then one of my opponents finally pointed out I could only hit creatures with it and I got overwhelmed by shame.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maro says the Mythic Rare vanilla creature is still in whatever set it's listed for.

I don't really see a way they pull it off unless its a Force of Savagery riff, e.g. its a 20/0 that costs like 3GG or something.

pigeon

Banned
Maro says the Mythic Rare vanilla creature is still in whatever set it's listed for.

I don't really see a way they pull it off unless its a Force of Savagery riff, e.g. its a 20/0 that costs like 3GG or something.

I vaguely recall MaRo saying outright that they don't like making Johnny mythics because by their very nature they don't read well.

I still think absurdly huge wall is the most likely possibility without totally wrecking any format.

JulianImp

I vaguely recall MaRo saying outright that they don't like making Johnny mythics because by their very nature they don't read well.

I still think absurdly huge wall is the most likely possibility without totally wrecking any format.

I still remember Mirror-Mad Phantasm, which I think is a very Johnny-feeling mythic (which does read quite badly, actually). I really tried to make it work, but the only way it would've been at least halfway decent would've been if damage still used the stack.

Angry Grimace

I just don't think there is literally any other design that would be mythic.

I did a 3x INN draft with 5 sweepers today. My win condition was a Garruk and a ludevic's test subject splashed off one island lol

I had like 5 rares in my colors that I stuck in the sideboard because they died to my sweepers. TrolI deck didn't get there. :p

Yeef

My best crappy play was thinking Naya Charm could bolt players and closing two or three games with it at a small store FNM. Then one of my opponents finally pointed out I could only hit creatures with it and I got overwhelmed by shame.
The only misplay I remember is during the first round of the first BFZ prerelease, I thought Fertile Thicket put the land into your hand. I realized my mistake by round 2.

I spent half an FNM once thinking that Cruel Revival returned the zombie to the battlefield rather than to your hand. I definitely felt the shame when someone actually read the card carefully

I still think it's like a 2/100, lol.

EDIT: Did he talk about it again? I didn't see anything recent on Blogatog...

I mean they print shit like Cast Through Time so I don't think that could be right.

If it's Red, I would accept a 2/2 for R.

He's not Vanilla but

169.jpg

The best thing about Cockatrice is 24/7 access to limited formats you can't easily play anywhere else. For the pure enjoyment of limited, I don't think there's a better option.

nayadmsl7.png

The biggest ever French Commander tournament is being streamed here if anyone is interested. Currently on screen Jenara V Jori-En.

I'm rooting for Vendilion Clique. Speaking of Commander, my updated Teysa, Orzhov Scion list(regular, not French):

nayaq6kl3.png

Keeping an eye out for Chrome Mox, Mox Diamond, Gideon Ally and Monastery Mentor when it comes to trading time.

Angry Grimace

It's nice being able to play tournaments in my underwear but its also really tiring playing against the MTGO meta in anything other than the larger tournaments (the MTGO meta is 70% comprised of whatever the cheapest competitive deck is)

Santiako

Jori En? But why?

Also, yeah, ban Tasigur's ass.

It looked like a straight up Counter Burn with Blood Moon deck, so it probably ran Jori En just to draw three or four cards during the game. The deck won by attacking 8 times with her while hiding with Blood Moon and burning for the win.

f0rk

Yep, no story lines in the GP top 4. You couldn't focus on the players at all. Pretty predictable with team sealed, it always has the no names at the top. A stream would have been a waste of time

Firemind

It looked like a straight up Counter Burn with Blood Moon deck, so it probably ran Jori En just to draw three or four cards during the game. The deck won by attacking 8 times with her while hiding with Blood Moon and burning for the win.
Sounds like a bad Keranos trying to play Tiny Commander.

We can all agree that Clique is the best French commander deck. Average cmc is like 1.8 and it costs about a tenth of what the other good decks do.

Plus it's like the most draw go deck ever. So much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom