• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CdRx8U5WEAARAHj.jpg
CdRx8UCW4AA1HS_.jpg

New twitter preview!
Soul Warden flips into Blood Artist.
Another unusual color bleed for white, but it's one we've seen before in New Phyrexia and with Orzhov in Return to Ravnica.

We have a couple GPs this weekend.
Given that, might it be better to create the new OT tomorrow morning instead of Sunday?

Latest Developments article about how different teams work together to make cards. One interesting thing is that Masterwork of Ingenuity was supposed to be in Dark Ascension instead of Grafdigger's Cage.
There is some amount of time and room for a few pieces of art late in the cycle, though, that are generally used for FFL concerns. For instance, we may realize that we need a sideboard card to fight a card we missed in a recently released set, or one that has not been released but can't be changed. We can kick some other card out of the set, and put in a new card that is designed to fit that need. One of the most famous examples of this was Grafdigger's Cage, which kicked out a card in Dark Ascension that later became Masterwork of Ingenuity in Commander (2014 Edition).

And posted in the Magic Duels thread, but changes to the starting cards in Magic Duels.

Kinda weird they didn't spoil Jace early, seems like they usually spoil the face Planeswalker before the normal set spoilers come out.

Yeah, I also expected a PW preview, but I guess in this case they decided Avacyn was a better flashy mythic story card to show off? They might stick him in the Featured Article Monday morning, which is what they've done with the lead PW a few times in the past.

Given that, might it be better to create the new OT tomorrow morning instead of Sunday?

Yeah, that's fine.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's possible that Jace doesn't actually do anything that's particularly meaty in terms of story or set mechanics.

Plot Twist: This Jace will have some form of self Mill function to trigger both Delirium and Mini Jace that is somehow busted.

Oh, and an ultimate that is straight unplayable.

ultron87

spoiler: one of his abilities is investigate.

Even if they are clues a Jace card spitting out artifacts feels off. Obviously their goal is drawing cards which is fine, but it'd be flavor weird if there's an Investiga-Jace that has utility powering Thopter Spy Networks. It wouldn't be quite to a Liliana of the Dark Realms level of out of character-ness, but still pretty strange.

OnPoint

Even if they are clues a Jace card spitting out artifacts feels off. Obviously their goal is drawing cards which is fine, but it'd be flavor weird if there's an Investiga-Jace that has utility powering Thopter Spy Networks. It wouldn't be quite to a Liliana of the Dark Realms level of out of character-ness, but still pretty strange.

His whole presence there is to do detective work, isn't it? He's more "uncovering" clues than making them, if that makes it feel better.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's a good thing Jace is around investigating stuff. WotC really needed a mono-blue 'walker with ties to Innistrad who was fond of investigating things. Nobody else fits the bill. Nope. Nobody.

Jace, Interplanar Man of Mystery 3UU

[+3] Look at the top 3 cards of your library. You may put any number of those cards into your graveyard and the rest on top of your library in any order.
[0] Investigate. Investigate.
[-7] You get an emblem that says, "At the beginning of your end step, if you control 13 or more Clue tokens, you win the game."

[4]

ultron87

His whole presence there is to do detective work, isn't it? He's more "uncovering" clues than making them, if that makes it feel better.

Right, it's fine for the flavor of the set. It is just weird from a mechanical perspective to be a thing that a Jace card does as he's never had anything to do with Artifacts.

OnPoint

It's a good thing Jace is around investigating stuff. WotC really needed a mono-blue 'walker with ties to Innistrad who was fond of investigating things. Nobody else fits the bill. Nope. Nobody.

lol... I mean, he's going to use her Journal, right?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198164953]Jace, Interplanar Man of Mystery 3UU

[+3] Look at the top 3 cards of your library. You may put any number of those cards into your graveyard and the rest on top of your library in any order.
[-0] Investigate. Investigate.
[-7] You get an emblem that says, "At the beginning of your end step, if you control 13 or more Clue tokens, you win the game."

[4][/QUOTE]

I don't even know how to react to this.

TBF, they are actually acknowledging Tamiyo frequently in cards, and from that one piece of art, she looks like she's coming out of this story alive.

On another note, I realized that we should probably settle on a thread title. There have been several suggestions, but the standouts appear to be:

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues
Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Jace; in the hall; with a Bone Saw
Per charlequin's suggestion, another alternative is
Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Jace; in the hall; with a stake

It also seems likely that we're going with the header image where Jace's face is partially covered by the logo, instead of the one where Avacyn's face is partially covered by a hue-shifted logo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Jace; in the Hall; with a Bone Saw

I mostly liked Bone Saw because it was the name of a piece of equipment that was recently in standard that fit in the character count.

If "Shard of Glass" or something would fit it would be fine.

Yeef

Of those options, blue's clues is the best.

Also, I don't think Jace will have Investigate, even though it would fit flavor-wise. Investigate seems like a limited-only mechanic and they've been doing better recently in making planeswalkers playable outside of limited (except Kiora). If he does have investigate, it's likely to be trinket text on a more useful ability.

OnPoint

Of those options, blue's clues is the best.

Also, I don't think Jace will have Investigate, even though it would fit flavor-wise. Investigate seems like a limited-only mechanic and they've been doing better recently in making planeswalkers playable outside of limited (except Kiora). If he does have investigate, it's likely to be trinket text on a more useful ability.
Maybe?

-2: put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard. If either is an instant or sorcery, Investigate.

Meh.

I'm realizing that a lot of the virulently anti-Emrakul people are feeling that way because they think that Emrakul being the source of some SOI weirdness means lots of Eldrazi creatures and an Emrakul legend and other assorted BFZisms, which... I dunno, I find it mystifying that someone could play Magic for some serious amount of time and still think that was going to happen? There's a reddit thread where someone was basically like "well what if it's Emrakul but there aren't any eldrazi" and everyone was "ooh that's such a good theory" and I'm just ????????

Angry Grimace

I also can't imagine they would use 10 of the rare slots to reprint the pain lands.

They're listed at Uncommon in that. It's probably fake, there's no reason to assume its real.

Ashodin

I want Portal Three Kingdoms cards to be blackborded and affordable but it seems they're having none of that.

FTV: Annihilation?

I'm realizing that a lot of the virulently anti-Emrakul people are feeling that way because they think that Emrakul being the source of some SOI weirdness means lots of Eldrazi creatures and an Emrakul legend and other assorted BFZisms, which... I dunno, I find it mystifying that someone could play Magic for some serious amount of time and still think that was going to happen? There's a reddit thread where someone was basically like "well what if it's Emrakul but there aren't any eldrazi" and everyone was "ooh that's such a good theory" and I'm just ????????

All planes are not made equal. Zendikar has nutso mana production, so Eldrazi can go ham eating it up

Innistrad is probably not so much. In fact, I'd wager a fair bet the majority of mana is tied up in the moon (which is why it affects things on Innistrad). So what Nahiri is likely doing is turning the moon into one big ass beacon drawing Emrakul to the plane. It could be possible that the moon itself is blocking Emrakul from entering the plane. I think Emrakul is secretly eating the moon from the dark side of it and will eventually show up in Eldritch Moon.

They print Savannah Lions with upside at uncommon now

Exactly. Savannah lion with Proc from Dragons, Savannah Lion that Exiles/gains life, or if you go Mythic, Savannah Lion with Turn on Indestructible that transforms into a walker when it attacks with two other creatures.

I still am genuinely confused as to why Kytheon hasn't seen play, he's a beating on a stick. I mean, Yeah. Rally of Zendikar is better in terms of flexibility, but you can have 16 Savannah Lions in a deck with a bunch of solid backup. Especially with little good removal in the format.

Angry Grimace

Exactly. Savannah lion with Proc from Dragons, Savannah Lion that Exiles/gains life, or if you go Mythic, Savannah Lion with Turn on Indestructible that transforms into a walker when it attacks with two other creatures.

I still am genuinely confused as to why Kytheon hasn't seen play, he's a beating on a stick. I mean, Yeah. Rally of Zendikar is better in terms of flexibility, but you can have 16 Savannah Lions in a deck with a bunch of solid backup. Especially with little good removal in the format.

It's because the point in time at which Savannah Lions was ahead of the curve has passed. It's basically just an okay card now.

bigkrev

Because 2/1s get outclassed pretty easily by 2/3 Reflector Mages

Because 2/1s get outclassed pretty easily by 2/3 Reflector Mages

Right, but Reflector Mage costs 3 to cast. You can have 6 power on board by turn 2. Reflector Mage can kill one and block one, but even inside of White you've got answers(that will hopefully be better post rotation when Rally stops existing and 4C good stuff is gone)

Angry Grimace

They are really going to kick themselves for printing Reflector Mage

You're envisioning standard being in a world where color restrictions continue to be irrelevant.

The issue with RM is dumping it instant speed with CoCo or Rally, one of which won't be possible, and the other of which is probably not a realistic thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom