• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

3/5ths of Alara is trash, and by the end of it the trash has infected the good stuff and made it all trash

On paper Naya, Grixis and Jund could be interesting settings. In practice what we get is "its a jungle. there are cat people", "the landscape looks like WH40K art and everything is zombies" and "the landscape looks like the most twisted children's museum ever and everything is dirty"
Who needs landscapes when you can have these

287.jpg
288.jpg
289.jpg
290.jpg

Real talk: Mirrodin has some of the worst looking basics in the history of Magic.

Magnus

As someone who hasn't played Magic for like, 15 years, and who just came in the thread out of curiosity, it looks to me like Colorless Mana is basically just a new type of mana...is that right? I mean, if there are new lands that generate C specifically, and there are cards that require C specifically, and C can be used to pay for generic mana costs, it's basically a sixth mana type, no?

OnPoint

As someone who hasn't played Magic for like, 15 years, and who just came in the thread out of curiosity, it looks to me like Colorless Mana is basically just a new type of mana...is that right? I mean, if there are new lands that generate C specifically, and there are cards that require C specifically, and C can be used to pay for generic mana costs, it's basically a sixth mana type, no?

Not exactly. Colorless mana has existed for, well, just about forever. But the requirement of its use to cast or pay for things is new. I can see why you would consider it 'basically a sixth mana type' but I disagree with that sentiment for one reason: Colorless really has no identity or characteristics, mechanically or otherwise.

Continue to be meh on this set but Eldrazi are fun to play with. We're doing Commander games for the first time this weekend and I'm pumped- Karador the Ghost Chieftan fucking wrecking crews in a sacrifice creature deck!

I prefer this colorless thing over the devoid nonsense from BFZ
bring on the spoilers !

edit : huh, unknown shores is really good isn't it ? for a common at least

surge is meh

DrArchon

U/R Merfolk seems stupid good in the right deck. Definitely not the card you want to cast on turn 3, but on later turns with some cheap spells to get immediate value it looks really good. Also, drawing cards during enemy turns should be pretty sweet, and it looks like a dope commander of course.

Also, really digging Spatial Contortion in limited. Get a couple of colorless sources and you get a decent kill spell in decks that really shouldn't have them. Very nice.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It feels modern pushed. Like, I want to make something out of it in UWR control. I'm not sure what just yet. But I got the feeling about that one.

DrArchon

Deepfathom Skulker is an obvious limited bomb, and Dread Defiler looks like it should be really useful in commander.

Gladeheart Calvary looks terrible though. At worst it's a 6/6 for 7, and to get the max value out of it you need 6 creatures. I mean, if you have 6 creatures, you either have a bunch of mana dorks (who won't matter with +1/+1 counters on them), or you're about to win the game anyway. It can't even buff itself! What a load of crap.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Deepfathom Skulker is an obvious limited bomb, and Dread Defiler looks like it should be really useful in commander.

Gladeheart Calvary looks terrible though. At worst it's a 6/6 for 7, and to get the max value out of it you need 6 creatures. I mean, if you have 6 creatures, you either have a bunch of mana dorks (who won't matter with +1/+1 counters on them), or you're about to win the game anyway. It can't even buff itself! What a load of crap.

While it isn't the greatest card, one thing to keep in mind that the spoiler article failed to mention (and even said incorrectly) is that you don't have to put the counters on creatures you control. This makes it far more useful in two-headed giant games, which I assume is what they were going for. It's weird the article didn't bring it up. but buffing you and your teammate's entire army actually is at least somewhat worthwhile.

DrArchon

While it isn't the greatest card, one thing to keep in mind that the spoiler article failed to mention (and even said incorrectly) is that you don't have to put the counters on creatures you control. This makes it far more useful in two-headed giant games, which I assume is what they were going for. It's weird the article didn't bring it up. but buffing you and your teammate's entire army actually is at least somewhat worthwhile.

OK, it's better in 2HG, I'll give it that. Way more likely to see enough creatures to get all the counters out. I still think they could've pumped it up a little more though.

Also, the fact that it can't pump itself rubs me the wrong way. I don't like the idea of topdecking this and getting nothing other than a 6/6. At least if it could pump itself it could give you some life when it dies.

Santiako

Of all cards spoiled today, Spatial Contorsion seems to be the best one and the one with potential to make a splash in constructed.

y2dvd

Spatial Contortion is actually really good for ramp decks. Takes care of all the early drops to allow time to ramp. Bad against Hangarback though lol.

Dread Deflier is costly, but at least it is 7cmc which triggers Sanctum of Ugin. Sulker missed it at 6cmc, but that draw a card ability though. I don't think it's good enough to play still.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Spatial Contortion is actually really good for ramp decks. Takes care of all the early drops to allow time to ramp. Bad against Hangarback though lol.

Dread Deflier is costly, but at least it is 7cmc which triggers Sanctum of Ugin. Sulker missed it at 6cmc, but that draw a card ability though. I don't think it's good enough to play still.
I don't think it's really worth a card when you can just play Kozilek's Return.

Crocodile

looked over the list and drafted a few times. It's pretty fun to draft! Nice job!

There are only 3 cards that are ingest pay-offs. I know you want to include parts of both zendikar blocks but it would be probably be good to cut these cards and the ingesters (maybe leaving in fathom feeder I guess)

I think there are enough incidental exiling cards that a low-effort Processor like Wasteland Strangler still has value and cards like Ruination Guide and Dominator Drone still have value even if they aren't fueling processors. How this "archetype" pans out in this Cube will have a lot to do with how its represented in OtG - a lot of the initial batch of Processors just aren't worth the hassle in a Cube environment I feel. Like for example, Murk Strider and Ulamog's Reclaimer just seem like higher maintenance versions of Aether Adept (which looks like it could be from any plane) and Mnemonic Wall. Wasteland Stranger, Ulamog's Nullfier and Blight Herder have high payoffs and are mana efficient to a degree that is hard to find elsewhere.

Given today's spoilers, I'm a bit concerned though. U/B will likely lean more towards just UB control in my Zendikar Cube than an actual Ingest-Processor deck.

Screen_Shot_2015-12-24_at_3.21.47_PM.png

new guy, seems alright

Great card (cool they didn't forget about Zendikar's equipment theme), AWFUL art. Just damn that art is bad O_O

Firemind

Also, can I just say how cool it would have been if Zendikar was about relic hunters finding the Holy Grail of Atlantis or something? I actually kind of want Jace to win and erase the Eldrazi from existence now.

I'm surprised they keyworded support. This is something cards have been doing for a long time, and will continue to do. But now only cards that appear in this set will have the keyword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom