• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga (or manga story arcs) that never got a proper anime adaptation

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Most people tend to get into manga through anime, and shonen anime in particular is often more popular that its source material, at least outside of Japan. Even so, oftentimes the anime will either deviate from the manga (Kenshin, Soul Eater, the original Full Metal Alchemist) or just never be adapted at all. Some notable examples off the top of my head:

-The last arc of Rurouni Kenshin; series was cancelled due to the poor ratings that the filler after the Kyoto arc got

-The last arc of Bleach, for whatever reason

-Until recently, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, although this still applies for part 4 and above

What are some other ones?

Mumei

I was coming to complain about the lack of Jinchuu, but I see you have that covered.

... So I guess 20th Century Boys is a good thing to complain about instead!

No Blackswordsman arc for Berserk, what a load of bullshit, even get new movies for the Golden Age but no goddamn Blackswordsman.

Usobuko

Banned
Slam Dunk.
Blade of the Immortal.

For SD, anime has atrocious pacing and the National Tournament was not adapted.

Shonan Junai Gumi (The Pure Love Gang from Shonan) AKA the dudes in my avatar- The hilarious 31 volume prequel to the more popular Great Teacher Onizuka, never got a proper anime series. All it got was like 6 crappy ova's and a live action series. And it's longer than GTO lol.

For all intensive purposes it is better than GTO imo and is probably my favorite manga of all time. Would love to see an adaptation of it.

Kinvara

I was coming to complain about the lack of Jinchuu, but I see you have that covered.

... So I guess 20th Century Boys is a good thing to complain about instead!

This one.

Also, Naoki Urasawa's Pluto is one I'd add to the list but I think they're working on one now?

-The last arc of Rurouni Kenshin; series was cancelled due to the poor ratings that the filler after the Kyoto arc got

The realest of talk. Jinchuu is the best arc in the manga and really ties together the series. The OVAs are such a tease, and then they put Enishi into a goddamn video game and that broke my heart.

We will also never see the end of Washizu vs Akagi animated.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Everything after Golden Age in Berserk. Obviously it couldn't air on TV but a non-shitty movie or an OVA or something.

Bleach's final arc will probably get animated eventually (when the series is over). Just like they did with Inuyasha.

Pokémon Special sadly isn't an anime at all.

So much this!
I thought we'd get something like it with Pokemon Origins, but that was nothing more than a special.

Soma

LQ4TlV5.jpg

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

damn shame this hasn't gotten an adaption yet

also, motherfuckin BLAME!

lFqNxC5.jpg

I'd love to see a good proper adaption that's more than just whatever that short OVA series was.

and none of that CG shit like in Sidonia's adaption :(

Moaradin

I'm bummed that Soul Eater never got a proper anime all the way through because I really enjoyed it before it got to filler town. Hopefully Bones gives it the Brotherhood treatment later down the line.

Berserk is probably the most obvious one.

Mortemis

Banned
A Psyren anime, a proper Negima anime that is about the magic world and not that harem shit, a proper Berserk, and Vagabond, though I don't think any animation studio can get it right so that can be left alone.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Didn't D. Gray Man stop right before some really great story arcs, too? I never watched or read the series past the very beginning, but I remember hearing that the anime dropped the ball and didn't even go into filler or anything.

Naruto Pain Arc.
My_pain_is_far_greater_than_yours_by_ryuunake98-d4qzmwi.gif

But a real example in my opinion would be Sun-ken Rock. An amazing seinen manga that sadly may never see a proper animation adaptation.

Mortemis

Banned
Didn't D. Gray Man stop right before some really great story arcs, too? I never watched or read the series past the very beginning, but I remember hearing that the anime dropped the ball and didn't even go into filler or anything.

Well to be fair, iirc the manga dropped the ball and went on tons of hiatuses so they don't have much to work with.

Verelios

Well to be fair, iirc the manga dropped the ball and went on tons of hiatuses so they don't have much to work with.

Apparently she plagiarized (?) and was having some difficulties for a while. Not completely sure about this, but then again, the drop in cohesion and quality after the whole Apostle arc was startling.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Since someone mentioned Naruto, I guess I'll mention One Piece. Rather, a condensed (better animated) version.
Rather than use filler arcs, the anime stretches out the pacing to a 1:1 ratio (1 episode = 1 chapter, rather than 1 episode = 2-4 chapters). This has lead to a lot of painful padding and DBZ type standing scenes (well, they're both by Toei so they are the masters at stretching).

Wait, really? I had no idea about Pluto.

Universal and Illumination (Despicable Me series) got the rights. But that was back in 2010 so who knows how long it will be, or if it will happen.

PolishQ

Nausicaa. The movie changes were fine for what it was, but a complete adaptation would be amazing.

Apparently Hideaki Anno is interested in adapting the entire manga for animation.

From the Ghibli thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114546358&postcount=1386

Edit: The interview refers to it as a "sequel" to Nausicaa but I think it's fair to assume that it would include some of the additional content from the manga. I could also see Anno starting over from the beginning and making a more faithful adaptation. Anything's possible at this point.

zulux21

this isn't to hard..
20th Century Boys
Yotsubato!
Vagabond

for starters
and skip beat needs another season darn it
Nana in general needs a real ending... stupid manga creator getting sick and not being willing to outsource the rest of the story to another artist.
fruit basket was said.
heck claymore ect

there are just so many when you include parts of mangas that weren't covered.... there are so many manga in general that haven't gotten anime adaptions even though they deserve one.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Karin (Chibi Vampire outside Japan) got an anime adaptation but I refuse to call that piece of hot garbage a proper adaptation. Looks ugly, HORRIBAD F-list dub cast, anime only original characters that would give shit a bad name, and it completely fucks with the story. So bad. And that's sad because its actually a pretty good series and one of my favorites, tbh.

Besides that, Ikigami. It got a live-action movie but that's it.

Usobuko

Banned
I would really prefer Nausicaa than 20th Century Boys. I'll even take Pluto over 20CB.

There's plenty of Manga that deserve adaptation, it's no surprise since manga > anime. The one that I really wish would happen are novels adaptation. Kemono no Souja Erin, Seirei no Moribito, Juuni Kokuki, Guin Saga etc.

Big One

Banned
Anime is just a marketing tool for the property. If the manga is over, there's nothing for the anime to promote.
You're right, but I think it gives people a bad impression of anime overall. There are literally countless of anime that have incomplete endings and people endlessly get angry over. The medium is better than that, but I do recognize it's mainly a marketing tool to get a certain property more exposure and it tends to work in most cases.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shonan Junai Gumi (The Pure Love Gang from Shonan) AKA the dudes in my avatar- The hilarious 31 volume prequel to the more popular Great Teacher Onizuka, never got a proper anime series. All it got was like 6 crappy ova's and a live action series. And it's longer than GTO lol.

For all intensive purposes it is better than GTO imo and is probably my favorite manga of all time. Would love to see an adaptation of it.

Why stop there without mentioning that GTO itself never had the final three arcs animated including what I consider to be the greatest ending of any manga ever.

After just finishing the volume 3-11 of Flower of Evil, which I only read because I wanted more after watching the anime, I have to say Flower of Evil. The anime just gave you a glimpse of this amazing manga.

My Little Monster ended way too early. 11 episodes wasn't enough and I thought it was getting really interesting.

A bit off topic, but I would love to one of Inio's manga come to life besides Solanin(movie is pretty good), but I think it would be pretty hard to pull off. Especially Goodnight punpun.

Kind of a bummer that the upcoming Durarara!! anime is skipping a lot of arcs.

Really! That sucks as someone who can't read Japanese. I hate to miss out on content. May skip it completely unless the missing light novels are translated.

Edit:

Do you have a link to the news? I can't seem to find anything about what the second season will cover.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd love to see the rest of Medaka Box adapted one day. The anime ended before the best parts of the series.
Was about to say this. It ended teasing one of the best characters from the series and when it started getting really good/ breaking away from its original premise and then no 3rd season. & considering Gainax was animating it, it would have been great to see some of those fight scenes.

Deadman Wonderland also just stopped, though I heard that was due to the anime not doing so well in Japan or something. One of these days, I need to check the manga out.

& how come Yotsuba& never got an anime adaptation? They made it work wonderfully with Azumanga Daioh. Heck, I'm now seeing manga getting anime adaptations that last only 7 to 13 episodes long and they still work (Tonari no Seki-kun works great as a 7-minute episode). They could have each episode only be as 1/2 as long if they don't feel like they can fill a full 24 minutes.

Oh, & it annoyed me that the Narutaru anime ended AT THE EXACT SAME STOP where Dark Horse stopped localizing the manga because they didn't realize how dark/child unfriendly the series got.

Top Bottom