• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga (or manga story arcs) that never got a proper anime adaptation

Moaradin

Soul Eater: Ended soon after the anime caught up with the manga, and it had a shitty rushed ending. The manga is now finished, and although the quality started dropping shortly after where the anime spun off into original territory, there is at least one solid arc left, and there are a lot of good chapters, even one of the best, if not the best, chapters in the entire series, that would be amazing to see animated.

The Baba Yaga's Castle arc is the best arc in the series and that started right after the anime split off. The Book of Eibon arc was really fun too. Would love to see all that animated.

elyetis

Well two of my favorites manga never got an anime adaptation :
- Angel densetsu ( Norihiro Yagi's superior manga )
- Katsu ( Mitsuru adachi )
I thought kyo kara ore wa also didn't have an anime adaptation but apparently it does ( I need to check that ! ) but it's only 10 episodes, so definitly not what a 38 volumes long manga deserve.

Holyland, would have been better than a drama.

Then looking at my manga collection.... so many more, Get Backers deserved to go the end, same with Fruits basket.
Some Boichi's story could have been pretty nice too ( Hotel or Sanctum ? ), That art with good animation :drool:.
On the Shojo side Cat street, My Girl (Sahara Mizu) or Musunde Hiraite would be instant buy from me.
( etc.. etc... )

And the best for the end : Beck, it deserved to cover the entire story, I don't even know what the rest of the story is, why ? because the anime make it so much more awesome because of it's incredible ost, that I just never could read it as a manga.

edit: and I don't care what the others say, the last part of
usagi drop
should have been covered by the anime. :yup:

LayLa

Happy that YKK has got so many mentions on this thread, but that ship has long since sailed sadly. The same author just finished a manga called Kabu no Isaki, that's probably never going to get adapted either is it. Or released in the West. sigh.

Aqua/Aria got 3 series so I've been hoping an anime of Amanchu! by the same author to get greenlit, it's still ongoing so there is still a small chance I guess *crosses fingers*.

Finally Vinland Saga anime where are you?!?

Gantz
Grappler Baki
Soul Eater
Bleach

The Gantz one really cut me deep I mean the manga is sooooooo good. The anime was great as well not sure of why the discontinuation...

a lot had been mentioned already: Blade of the Immortal, Appleseed, Yotsuba&!, Berserk, Claymore, Birdythe Might, all great titles that I would love to see being adapted into animation.

my own suggestion would be Cloth Road by Okama. I'm on the phone right now so apologize for the lack of image, but it's really beautiful and the fights are great too. plus it's already finish so the production studio can follow the original story instead of making up some crappy filler eps.

Battle Angel Alita/GUNNM: As many have said, it only got an OVA and that was it. James Cameron has talked about adapting the original series to the big screen for more than a decade, and supposedly has it planned for when he is done with Avatars 2 to 4, but it'll never happen.

Bastard!!: The series ended abruptly a few episodes in after the director or producer was supposedly arrested (though I dunno if this is actually true). Despite the manga being quite popular and selling fairly well over the years, the second half of the manga becoming even more violent and gratuitous will probably keep it from being animated, as well as the fact that the author hasn't written a chapter for about two years now, so it'll never be finished.

yeah, these two would be great to see make into animation, consider how nuts the fights can get in there.

Skittles

Gantz
Grappler Baki
Soul Eater
Bleach

The Gantz one really cut me deep I mean the manga is sooooooo good. The anime was great as well not sure of why the discontinuation...
Gantz anime caught up to the manga extremely fast. I think they had barely gotten through 1000 arms before it caught up. (chibi arc)
Shame though, the anime has the potential to be far better than the manga due to the nature of the series

Sesha

The Baba Yaga's Castle arc is the best arc in the series and that started right after the anime split off. The Book of Eibon arc was really fun too. Would love to see all that animated.

The Baba Yaga arc was the last good one, to me. I disliked the Book of Eibon, though with a couple of exceptions, such as the excellent chapter when Excalibur shows up. That and the chapter when
Chrona kills Medusa
would be amazing to see.

yeah, these two would be great to see make into animation, consider how nuts the fights can get in there.

If we're looking at fights only, BAA: Last Order would be amazing in animated form. The fights against Team Venus and Space Karate are just insane.

Top Bottom