• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario64 DS free with Nintendo DS at all retailers

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
at least according to this poster at CAG

Wombat5277 said:
I know this had been posted as part of the EB June sale, but I just got word that this will be offered at all "participating retailers" across the country. Nintendo produced national TV spots for it yesterday. As far as a start date for the sale, I am going to guess June 12, for thats when the EB sale starts.

maybe that's why they're phasing out the metroid demos

edit:

the offer is now LIVE

Electric Blue NDS

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/256796.asp

Platinum NDS

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/241868.asp

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Damn it. Looks like I'll be getting a DS before too long. Stop trying to make me buy your poorly designed system, Nintendo. Just stop it!

olimario

Banned
Thongy-
New avatar.

Everyone else-
Now is the time to get a DS. Mario 64 still holds up very well and is a must own for all DS owners. This drops the price of picking up a DS by like 30 bucks.

Paladin69

Mario 64 DS feels like the Mario64-2 we never got.

the new characters (Luigi and Yoshi, YAY :) ), 30 additional stars, new abilities, new levels, new bosses, multiplayer, and touch screen mini-games make the title so fresh & fun.

God damn... I thought this was only EB; I bought a DS last week at Gamerush. Crap.

EDIT: On the other hand, I guess it could be worse; my buddy went out and bought one today, but is leaving the country so he can't return it and shit. :)

Dragmire

I finally have the money for a DS, and I think I'll get it on the 12th. But I was never interested in a Mario 64 port. Is it different enough to play through again other than the mini-games? Do the four characters make a big difference, or are they just different faces to use? I like the original, but it's not what I've wanted a DS for.

[edit] Oh, I didn't see your post, Paladin69. That's good to hear.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
tedtropy said:
Damn it. Looks like I'll be getting a DS before too long. Stop trying to make me buy your poorly designed system, Nintendo. Just stop it!
This is what I've been saying since E3. It's like the DS is succeeding in spite of itself.

Matlock

Banned
Lemme just put it this way--if I didn't like Mario 64's store demo, but really liked Sunshine, would I like this?

Jason

Heh. I just bought a DS yesterday. $150 at Compusmart for you Canadians out there ($50 instant rebate).

olimario

Banned
Matlock said:
Lemme just put it this way--if I didn't like Mario 64's store demo, but really liked Sunshine, would I like this?

Wall jumping is easier in 64 DS and the mini games are great.

Well, I guess it's sort of a price drop... I guess later then they can ditch it for a true price drop whenever Sony ditches the extras and releases the non-Value Pack.

StRaNgE

Banned
well crap. i almost bought one yesterday but no electrics were in.

thank God i did not as i planned to buy Mario DS with it.

now i'll just wait and that will be my fathers day gift to myself. yippeee...

and has anyone confirmed this is good anywhere?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Nice deal, if I didn't own a DS I'd get one with this package instead. And probably sell Mario 64 DS afterwards, but still... :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
TRU had this deal here in Canada for about 2 months (I think that's how long it was) but it just ended May 31st.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
This would be a much better deal if we could choose a DS game of our choice. In any case, I don't even want to consider getting a DS until Meteos comes out.

aoi tsuki

A free Mario is great, but it doesn't change the broken control. Using the thumbdana as an analog stick is a decent substitute but far from the perfect control of the N64 stick.

But the minigames rock. i still haven't beaten the game, but progressed as far as i did in part to get more minigames.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SnowWolf said:
This would be a much better deal if we could choose a DS game of our choice. In any case, I don't even want to consider getting a DS until Meteos comes out.
You won't be waiting long, as it comes out on the 27th.

Why not buy one for Kirby, which comes out the 13th? :)

jgkspsx

aoi tsuki said:
But the minigames rock. i still haven't beaten the game, but progressed as far as i did in part to get more minigames.
To be fair, you don't even have to get halfway to unlock all but one of the minigames -- and the last minigame is just another
slot machine
. There are only around ten really excellent minigames, but they're really worth playing.

StRaNgE

Banned
is there any games out for the DS that is just a compilation of games like the Mario Mini games?

those are perfect portable gaming on the go type games. that and advance wars .

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Have there been any games as technically impressive as Mario 64 DS since its release on the system?

GaimeGuy

tedtropy said:
Have there been any games as technically impressive as Mario 64 DS since its release on the system?
The Metroid Prime Hunters demo shits all over SM64 (graphically. The simulated surround sound in Mario 64 rules. :D )

jarrod

Banned
tedtropy said:
I'd say NFSU2 is more technically impressive with it's lighting effects and being at a constant 60fps. Rayman DS could've been, but it moves like a muddy slideshow. :/

Mrbob

Nintendo must be feeling some PSP heat in NA to make this move. I'd rather have a price drop to 119 though. I don't want Mario 64.

GaimeGuy

I'd just like to say, Luigi adds the most to Mario 64 DS. You can use his ridiculously high triple jump and his backflip in so many new ways to reach stars. :)

Best character to use,by far.

Memles

I would MUCH rather have seen the actual price of the system drop to $120...I have every intention of skipping SM64 when I pick up a DS. I am much more interested in games I haven't played before, thanks. As much as I liked the game, I'd rather be able to choose to pick up Advance Wars or Mario and Luigi or Mario Kart or Animal Crossing when the time comes...here's hoping that happens as we hit the fall.

Mrbob said:
Nintendo must be feeling some PSP heat in NA to make this move.

...is that spin?
Isn't this like, par for the course as far as most new game hardware goes after about 6 and change months of release?

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
Nintendo must be feeling some PSP heat in NA to make this move. I'd rather have a price drop to 119 though. I don't want Mario 64.
It's just their version of the "value pack". This fall when PSP sheds it's extras for a $199 pricepoint, you'll see Nintendo doing the same thing with Mario for $119.

Andy787

Banned
tedtropy said:
Resist the temptation! Mario 64 DS is a terrible, terrible bastardization of a classic. Don't ruin your memories.

captmcblack said:
...is that spin?
Isn't this like, par for the course as far as most new game hardware goes after about 6 and change months of release?
*wavers hand* Well, it's usual for systems that aren't as dominant as the PS2 or GBA, so this can easily be spun both ways.

Andy787 said:
Resist the temptation! Mario 64 DS is a terrible, terrible bastardization of a classic. Don't ruin your memories.
It's really a mixed bag. Controls, certainly much worse. Graphics, better in some ways and worse in others. Content, a fair bit of new stuff, and 3 more playable characters isn't nothing, even if part of their forced uniqueness is to the detriment of Mario.

belgurdo

Banned
Andy787 said:

But on the flip side, it's better and more full than about 60% of the rest of the DS's lineup...

Andy787

Banned
belgurdo said:
But on the flip side, it's better and more full than about 60% of the rest of the DS's lineup...
Absolutely. I'd say even higher.

Which is precisely why the DS is currently a really poor system, imo. I think it will absolutely be worth it at the end of the year, or early next year, but currently it is the worst system I own. I seriously don't know how it gets the praise it gets or is even a fraction of as successful as it is.

I see this as trying to move units through the normally slow summer period. It's actually quite aggressive. But, I don't think we'll see anything like this come winter. Nintendo will prolly release another color and let the DS software work its magic.

Hero

I already have a DS, but it's a pretty damn good deal.

Although I'll probably sell mine soon to get the white DS or the red one. Grrr.

Top Bottom