• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario64 DS free with Nintendo DS at all retailers

Link316

Banned
I wonder if this move has anything to do with May NPD sales, PSP caught up or about to pass the DS perhaps?

Alcibiades

maybe I'll buy an electric blue one (which I wanted to anyway before I heard about this deal) and get another game for DS while I'm at it (I only have Feel the Magic and Metroid demo)...

I didn't have plans to purchase Mario DS anytime soon (if at all), but this seems like a good deal...

part of the reason I want another one is to preserve my other DS, it's signed by Miyamoto and Reggie... :D

jarrod

Banned
Link316 said:
I wonder if this move has anything to do with May NPD sales, PSP caught up or about to pass the DS perhaps?
Doubtful. DS moved more units it's first 6 weeks than PSP did.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
this new offer is confirmed in next week's best buy ad.

$149.99
Nintendo DS Gaming System FREE SUPER MARIO w/ purchase of any DS gaming system Now available in electric blue

jgkspsx

If you just bought yours, try to return it -- many stores (at least in my area) will allow you to take advantage of offers that came into effect within a week or so of your purchase.

I completed SM64DS a month or so after I got it. It's not one of my favorite DS games (I'm not too fond of any Mario since DK/MB/SMB1), but it was a worthwhile purchase and probably the most lengthy of my DS games. I wouldn't have traded it for the Hunters demo at the time; I'm not sure I would now. Some of the minigames are well worth playing, though (and better than any of WarioWare Touched's, I'm sad to say).

Regardless of how good the game is, though, this offer plus the new color means that it will be bought in mass quantities for birthday presents, I think.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
DrGAKMAN's Crazy Ass Nintendo conspiracy Theory #1220304:

Notice Nintendo has been doing some specials things with EB Games recently. They even put a link & advertisement to EB Games in a recent e-mail. Beginning next year (I believe) EB Games will be bought out by GameStop. Here's the theory...alot of EB Game's stores will be absorbed by GameStop...but to those locations that aren't, maybe Nintendo could buy them up and start a nationwide chain of Nintendo World Stores.

This could really help Nintendo's branding, image, profits, retailing and community plans. Nintendo shows that they're still around. Game retailers biased against Nintendo...go to the Nintendo World Store instead. This could be big!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
your theory is shot because best buy is doing the offer too, which pretty much confirms the info in the first post. other retailers will follow suit

what kind of specials are you talking about? i dont remeber any ebgames specials

AniHawk

DrGAKMAN said:
maybe Nintendo could buy them up and start a nationwide chain of Nintendo World Stores.

Gamestop bought out EB. It's not like a few can escape and become something else. Kinda like when Rite Aid took over Thrifty. Every Thrifty became a Rite Aid.

Still on the fence. Sold my used NDS in anticipation of the PSP. Didn't get a PSP, don't have a DS...

I'll wait for an "SP" version of the DS. Cut the GBA support to make it slimmer/lighter/sexier Nintendo!!!

I'm still waiting for them to release the white DS here. Only thing that will make me buy earlier than that is the release of Mario Kart.

aoi tsuki said:
A free Mario is great, but it doesn't change the broken control. Using the thumbdana as an analog stick is a decent substitute but far from the perfect control of the N64 stick.

I've actually gotten every star and minigame in the game using the d-pad almost entirely. The way they made turning and acceleration gradual with it (just slightly) works quite well. The only levels it has trouble with are some of the later ones that they didn't tweak the camera in as much (like Tick Tock Clock). In those situations, the D-Pad has a bit of trouble moving you in the right direction for the angle, because it might require a diagonal slightly closer to up than up-left provides. But really, I hardly ever resorted to the touch pad, and didn't have many issues.

For those that don't want Mario, can't you just turn right-around and trade it in at a place like Game Rush or something? You won't get every dollar of the "new" price back, but you didn't pay anything for it anyway compared to early adopters, and if you honestly don't want it... I realize some places will stop accepting it (probably EB to begin with), or severely devalue it, but going to a different place (possibly one that doesn't do the promotion) early on should net you a decent trade-in price.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Wario64 said:
your theory is shot because best buy is doing the offer too, which pretty much confirms the info in the first post. other retailers will follow suit

what kind of specials are you talking about? i dont remeber any ebgames specials

My theory doesn't really have to do with the new NDS promotion, but more EB Games & Nintendo. There hasn't been TOO much to note on this happenning, hense it's a "crazy ass theory". However, despite EB Games soon to being bought out, I found it strange that Nintendo.com sent out e-mail's advertising the new Fire Emblem game and how you could buy it online at ebgames.com?

AniHawk said:
Gamestop bought out EB. It's not like a few can escape and become something else. Kinda like when Rite Aid took over Thrifty. Every Thrifty became a Rite Aid.

But not every EB will become a GameStop...as there are many EB Game's located in the same malls (or very close to the same area) as GameStop's. GameStop is taking over EB...but that's not to say that EVERY EB will become a GameStop as some stores (both EB's & GameStop's, depending on which store had the better location) will be sold & left behind...hense where my Nintendo World Store theory comes in. If Blockbuster would've bought Hollywood, I seriously doubt we'd have two Blockbuster's on every other street as that would oversaturate.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
next week's Sears ads also confirms the offer

thewinningteam1my.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
well, it probably doesnt take effect until the 12th. it looks like the 12th is when the actual promotion begins

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Robert-GCA said:
This does make the DS $120. Mario 64 is a $30 game.

I said NDSSP for $120. The most I would pay for a regular DS is $80-$90. Its not worth any more than that IMO especially when you just know Nintendo will release some kind of redesigned version a year from now.

JC10001 said:
I said NDSSP for $120. The most I would pay for a regular DS is $80-$90. Its not worth any more than that IMO especially when you just know Nintendo will release some kind of redesigned version a year from now.

yeah.. and never buy a PS3, cuz PSthree will be available few years later...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
almokla said:
yeah.. and never buy a PS3, cuz PSthree will be available few years later...

PSX -> PSOne = 4-5 years later
PS2 -> PSTwo = 4-5 years later
GBA -> GBASP = less than 2 years later

Big fucking difference!

Plus you don't have to carry consoles around with you so size isn't as much of an issue as it is with a handheld. Apples and oranges.

Not to mention that the PS1 and PS2 are both decent pieces of hardware for their times. The DS tech is from almost 10 years ago. I don't care how many screens you add to it. Its not worth $150.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
JC10001 said:

Big fucking difference!

Plus you don't have to carry consoles around with you so size isn't as much of an issue as it is with a handheld. Apples and oranges.

Not to mention that the PS1 and PS2 are both decent pieces of hardware for their times. The DS tech is from almost 10 years ago. I don't care how many screens you add to it. Its not worth $150.

The DS tech is not "10 years old."

Ten years ago, you wouldn't have been able to release a handheld machine more powerful than the Nintendo 64 (save for the lack of Anti aliasing) with built in WiFi, two screen, a microphone, and a touch screen for $150.

The DS tech might not be the PSP, but it's definitely not "ten years old" like you state.

Hero

JC10001 said:

Big fucking difference!

How the hell is the DS old-tech? Asides from the graphical power being N64-level, the built in mic, touch screen, second screen, and wi-fi out of the box are all 'new-tech'.

I mean, the PSP is going to be outdated by next year anyway, so I guess we should just disregard it as soon as PS3/Rev/360 hits, right?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Mallrat83 said:
I'm getting a DS this weekend!! I'd appreciate it if you were happy for me.

Mallrat, I've never been happier for you in all my life besides this very moment.

Not sarcasm.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
GaimeGuy said:
The DS tech is not "10 years old."

Ten years ago, you wouldn't have been able to release a handheld machine more powerful than the Nintendo 64 (save for the lack of Anti aliasing) with built in WiFi, two screen, a microphone, and a touch screen for $150.

The DS tech might not be the PSP, but it's definitely not "ten years old" like you state.

OK, so maybe "tech" was a poor choice of words (although none of that stuff is really new). You know what I meant though. Its under powered in the graphics department. I think the second screen and microphone are fluff and that don't really add anything to the games but that's just me. Nintendogs looks like it will put the microphone to good use but there is no way on God's green Earth I would be caught dead talking into it so the microphone may as well not even be there. Its worse than side talking if you ask me!

The touch screen is the only good thing about the DS hardware IMO. I would have liked the DS better if it was basically a PDA (with a PDA sized screen) that played Nintendo games that were pretty much entirely touch screen based ala Wario, Kirby, and Yoshi. The reason I say that is because I believe that the traditional d-pad and button setup has made a lot of 3rd party devs lazy. Most of the games coming out from 3rd parties look like glorified GBA games. They aren't putting that touch screen to good use.

I'll leave it at that. We are both set in our beliefs. No point in going back and forth any further.

Hero said:
How the hell is the DS old-tech? Asides from the graphical power being N64-level, the built in mic, touch screen, second screen, and wi-fi out of the box are all 'new-tech'.

I mean, the PSP is going to be outdated by next year anyway, so I guess we should just disregard it as soon as PS3/Rev/360 hits, right?

Microphones aren't "all-new" tech.
Touch screens aren't "all-new" tech.
2 screens is a gimmick (there I said the G word).
Wi-fi isn't "all-new" tech.

The PSP might be outdated next year but the DS was outdated before it ever even came out.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
JC10001 said:
the DS was outdated before it ever even came out.

As has been the case for the last twenty years with Nintendo handhelds. :lol

Mallrat83

Banned
John Harker said:
Mallrat, I've never been happier for you in all my life besides this very moment.

Not sarcasm.
How touching! Thank you John Harker!

(get it?! Nintendo DS, touching? haha!!!!! OMGWTFBBQ!!!)

JC10001 said:

Big fucking difference!

and what makes you think that I want you to buy a DS?? :lol :lol

take it easy buddy

MaddenNFL64

I bought M64DS with my DS, and I want to finish it, but I just can't play it the same way without the real analog stick controls. The minigames are fun though. Maybe i'll get used to the analog thumb movement someday :\.

_Angelus_

Banned
I haven't been following the DS much but I did like that 2D Sonic game that was at E3. When is it releasing on the DS? This could sway me towards a DS now. I'd like a good price drop first though. 99 dollars is about right.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Teddman said:
So is this confirmed at Best Buy? Sunday circulars should be out by now in "preview" editions of newpapers...

yeah, i already mentioned best buy confirmed. confirmed at sears as well. other stores should be following suit if they're not partcipating next week. i think gamestop is gonna offer it next wednesday or so. fry's will have it advertised in the paper tomorrow as well

this offer is the real deal

mj1108

Not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but K-Mart even has it in their Sunday ad.

So that makes it: Sears, Best Buy, K-Mart....

Top Bottom