• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 sales top 11 million (six million copies sold in the last six months)

Fake

Whew, so many bad takes in this thread.

You say 'bad take' and I say 'take', so only one of us are bias.

Uncharted 4 pacing is terrible, no way to argument that.

Anw, this is a spidey thread, so lets focus on the huge amount of money that was used to create this game in comparison with sales.

Last edited:
Spidey is my favorite superhero, and I really enjoyed the first game. But Miles was just more of the same gameplay and missions, and I didn’t end up playing much of it. So I didn’t bother getting Spider-Man 2 either, since it seemed just like more of the same.

It’s the kind of game that I’ll probably buy in 5 years if I get hungry for a Spidey game (well, by that time I’ll probably just get Spider-Man 3), but just like the movies, these games are far too samey.
Its comes off as so disingenuous when people say Spiderman 2 " too samey", God of War " resued animations", or Horizon "more of the same" when discussing Playstation sequels. You never see people say this about other games from other publishers except EA with Madden or COD. Hell, Ive never heard this excuse until Ive seen it on GAF. That would be like a big fan of HBO saying " they're choosing to skip the next season in Game of Thrones because it looks too similar to the first season"....

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

People are just repeating old console war rhetoric that was used to discredit Playstation devs when Xbox literally had no next gen exclusives. This should have died when "wait for the tools" died after Halo Infinite released. I guess its the least difficult way of saying something sucks without using objective facts or having a logical explanation for not liking GOY contenders.

What definitely saved SM2 is the vast majority of the wokeness is kept in the side quests, which are easily skippable. Well, that and their casual removal of any of that oh so important messaging from any Muslim country where it wouldn't fly. I actually had a glitch occur during the gay prom side quest that, for some reason, triggered the deaf effect that occurs during the graffiti side mission, so I didn't have to hear a single word of it.

Considering Insomniac seems to be sticking with this direction, I'll definitely not be preordering anymore of their games, waiting for reviews to see how much woke garbage is in the game.

Dazraell

Gold Member
Spider-Man 2 was one of the biggest disappointments I've had last year, I honestly regret buying it

I didn't enjoyed its story, main villains were underutilised, side quests had very obtuse pandering, most of side activities were boring and felt subpar to the first game and MJ's missions were somehow even worse

I also felt fatigue with having to revisit the same map again. Yeah, it got expanded, was much larger this time around and New York is such a core part of Spider-Man stories, but seeing the same places over and over again in SM1, dlcs, Miles Morales and now SM2 starts feeling a bit too much for me. Rocksteady's games while always set in Gotham did a much better job with making each of their entries settings more distinctive, while here it feels like just more of the same

This is good news for Insomniac but I do have a side rant: I am officially considering Venom to be a curse for the storytelling of Spiderman movies and video games (that feature cutscenes).

• SM3
  • Venom movie 1
  • Venom movie 2
  • Insomniac’s SM2
  • Spiderman: Friend or Foe
  • Web of Shadows
  • Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite
  • Spectacular Spiderman was cancelled soon after Venom showed up
  • Even the way the Ultimate Spiderman Cartoon ended with the Symbiote wars was ass

A lot of these made money, but have also aged badly in hindsight. In comics Venom is okay sometimes, but nearly every time this “fan favorite” character shows up in other forms of media, the writers for all of these properties make him take a giant dump on the plot.

Villains who are more smart and calculated are pushed to the side so that this 90s xtreme creation can show up and make every other character and plot point dumber/worse. They have to be so that Venom is actually threatening when not being worn by Peter Parker.

I don’t know why fans keep asking for more Venom and spending money to see him, when his many different storylines in media all end up at the same endpoint: The trash bin.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lol... just reading this thread one would think this thing hasn't sold 11M units.

The story was pretty much the same with the first two entries to me as far as impact. And it was a better game in of itself over the other games. A solid 8 in my book. Not everything has to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes, its enough for a game to just be good.

And 11M ppl agree except those on GAF.

GAF isn't your average gamer. Just notice the amount of times you'll ready the letters SBI. Only 1% of gamers even know what those letters stand for. GAF is the outlier. 11+ million bought Spiderman 2 because it was great!

Kerotan

This sold well in 1 year but puts into perspective how big Helldivers was although that's on two platforms.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
No thanks to Sbi and the shit character portrayals, story and writing.

I'm just praying they don't double/triple down on what everyone  easily considers the worst/weakest parts of this game.
That's why I'm sorry to say but the phrase "go woke, go broke" just isn't factual.

MonkD

I loved the first game. Fantastic adaptation all around, but they really fumbled hard with this one (story and character-wise).

Gameplay is solid. Mostly improvements over the first one. Only downside was the simplification/removal of gadgets, I'd prefer if they had doubled down.

Venom is the main villain and it's such a horrible interpretation of the character. I get the feeling that they've only looked at covers from the Cates run and based it entirely on that. Didn't even pull from Harrys time as a villain, even though that should end up the core of the character in this. It's as if they are just adapting the overall look of things, like the Lizard arc being a weak adaptation of Shed.

I could've forgiven a lot of things if they at least brought over the costumes from the previous game. Game feels cheap and half-assed.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I liked it. Not enough to continue after I beat it to collect everything but enough to not get bored through the main game.

Fahdis

No they don't. They own the film rights only.

But given their interest in making games that promote their films, they get a secondary benefit by paying the fee to Marvel to get temporary game rights. It also promotes the films they make.

Thanks for the clarification. Had to do some research as well. What you're saying is indeed true.

ProtoByte

Its comes off as so disingenuous when people say Spiderman 2 " too samey", God of War " resued animations", or Horizon "more of the same" when discussing Playstation sequels. You never see people say this about other games from other publishers except EA with Madden or COD. Hell, Ive never heard this excuse until Ive seen it on GAF. That would be like a big fan of HBO saying " they're choosing to skip the next season in Game of Thrones because it looks too similar to the first season"....

People are just repeating old console war rhetoric that was used to discredit Playstation devs when Xbox literally had no next gen exclusives. This should have died when "wait for the tools" died after Halo Infinite released. I guess its the least difficult way of saying something sucks without using objective facts or having a logical explanation for not liking GOY contenders.
Go through my post history if you need assurance that I'm anything but an anti-fanboy for PS, but the whole reason PS devs are respected above EA's or Activision's is because we can (or used to, idk) reasonably expect that there will be major improvements between iterations. Uncharted did it, TLOU did it, and GoW rebooted itself.

We particularly expect such improvements from first party teams when a new gen of hardware comes along. It's really their responsibility to use the hardware as much as they can at the time to lead the charge in justifying the change. It'll get harder to due with diminishing tech advancements, but this gen saw a massive improvement in CPU capacity and loading capability through the SSD.

Insomniac used the SSD to provide faster web swinging in SM2, but that's about it. Web swinging mechanics are a little smoother than crossgen Miles Morales, but animation systems, freedom of movement (there's a lot of canned moves that weren't so in Web of Shadows, for example) and the overall traversal side of the game wasn't improved or integrated in ways significant enough to meet expectations of the first next gen only AAA PS5 game. Neither was the combat. QoL adjustments, yes. But the design of the game was nowhere near as improved as U3-U4 or TLOU-Part 2.

Ultimately, it's bones are still on the PS4.

don’t know why fans keep asking for more Venom and spending money to see him, when his many different storylines in media all end up at the same endpoint: The trash bin.
It's made so much worse by Insomniac's insistence to be as inoffensive as possible, which infected Ratchet and Clank a while ago.

The characters are all too nice and too agreeable. Of course, you were never going to be able to write a compelling black suit Peter, Harry or Venom in that framework.

Does anyone else hate how they put all of those obnoxious green, red and blue, HUD elements in 3D world space to mark the different side quests? They look horrendous.

The first game was SO much better somehow.

It was ok I guess, but the writing was mediocre and the wort part was the side-content. So much cool stuff and villains they could have included that didn't fit in the main story, but instead I was running errands for random people. Next Insomniac game is not day one for me, that's for sure.

I'm in the middle of playing it now. I thought the plot was much better than I expected especially from all the stuff I was reading on this site. Which I thought was weird cause three of my friends were telling me I need to play it ASAP and how good it was.

Side quest aren't that great I admit. I'm pretty much at the end now excited to see how they wrap this up and onto my next game after that. Not sure I'll get the plat this time around.

A.Romero

Well, it seems woke stuff does sell. Personally I didn't care but I understand why some do.

Hard to argue with hard numbers, though. I don't think they will change their style.

A.Romero

No. The IP sells. Most people don’t know how shit the story and writing is until after they play it.
I guess your are right but evidently it doesn't make a difference. As long as the IP is popular and the game is competent, it doesn't matter how woke it is.

Still, it makes me wonder a little bit because movies have taken a hit in sales and the narrative is because they are woke so I don't know. It seems more complex than what people might believe.

It's made so much worse by Insomniac's insistence to be as inoffensive as possible, which infected Ratchet and Clank a while ago.

The characters are all too nice and too agreeable. Of course, you were never going to be able to write a compelling black suit Peter, Harry or Venom in that framework.
PG-rated/G-rated Spiderman has worked plenty of times before and can work today. Your gripe seems to be more with Insomniac's writers (the symptom) in general and that's not my problem, because your point misses my issue with Venom (the disease).

This is good news for Insomniac but I do have a side rant: I am officially considering Venom to be a curse for the storytelling of Spiderman movies and video games (that feature cutscenes).

• SM3
  • Venom movie 1
  • Venom movie 2
  • Insomniac’s SM2
  • Spiderman: Friend or Foe
  • Web of Shadows
  • Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite
  • Spectacular Spiderman was cancelled soon after Venom showed up
  • Even the way the Ultimate Spiderman Cartoon ended with the Symbiote wars was ass

A lot of these made money, but have also aged badly in hindsight. In comics Venom is okay sometimes, but nearly every time this “fan favorite” character shows up in other forms of media, the writers for all of these properties make him take a giant dump on the plot.

Villains who are more smart and calculated are pushed to the side so that this 90s xtreme creation can show up and make every other character and plot point dumber/worse. They have to be so that Venom is actually threatening when not being worn by Peter Parker.

I don’t know why fans keep asking for more Venom and spending money to see him, when his many different storylines in media all end up at the same endpoint: The trash bin.

Marvel Midnight Suns also has Spidey and Venom so add that to the list as well.

No. The IP sells. Most people don’t know how shit the story and writing is until after they play it.

All my friends told me I need to play it ASAP and how they rushed through the main story cause they liked it so much. I'm towards the end of the game now and I'm really enjoying the story. I think I have three more main missions to go before the end. Spiderman 2 user reviews on metacritic are still very high.

Maybe you just didn't like the game and that's fine? I hated the Witcher 3 but people love it and that's fine. I don't go around saying it has a shit story (even though I think it does) and people just don't know. I recognize that my opinion is in the minority and that's ok.

Jesus, the negativity here. I loved this game, even if it was more of the same. This series feels like seasons of a TV show to me, but I will keep devouring them as fast as they can make them.

Yeah lots of negative Nancie’s upset about a disabled side mission and now claim the entire game is somehow egregiously woke

It’s comical

The game is one of the best paced action set piece games since uncharted 2

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The writing is a huge part of what makes this series so good. The fact that they really work hard to build characters and relationships and not just expect action alone to drive it.

None of y'all know what good writing is or give a shit, this is all just a weird crusade about a consultancy that barely did anything on this game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The writing is a huge part of what makes this series so good. The fact that they really work hard to build characters and relationships and not just expect action alone to drive it.

None of y'all know what good writing is or give a shit, this is all just a weird crusade about a consultancy that barely did anything on this game.
Says the Al Jazeera Special Reporter.

Here you dropped this:
🤡

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I thought the new game plus mode would get me back to my 100% game. Sadly, it did not.
I haven't touched it. I dread doing the bike ride with Harry and deaf girlfriend simulator again.
And they need more inspired costumes.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Do you think that that's real, dude? Are you okay?

Do I think you are actually an Al Jazeera Special Reporter? If you seriously have to ask that, then you have more than just a few screws loose.

To be as blatant as I can be: No, I don't think you are. What I do think and know is that you have zero understanding of quality writing and speak entirely from an hypocritical ideological position while projecting your own failings onto others as you have done here. If you enjoy the game's writing? Good, but you of all people trying to claim that those who dislike/hate the narrative and characters in this game as being on some weird crusade is irony in its purest sense.

The game's writing fails on all counts when looked at critically. All of which has been extensively covered through other threads at the time of its release and you can easily go back and check, but given your history I am sure you will immediately dismiss and handwave it all away.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Do I think you are actually an Al Jazeera Special Reporter? If you seriously have to ask that, then you have more than just a few screws loose.

To be as blatant as I can be: No, I don't think you are. What I do think and know is that you have zero understanding of quality writing and speak entirely from an hypocritical ideological position while projecting your own failings onto others as you have done here. If you enjoy the game's writing? Good, but you of all people trying to claim that those who dislike/hate the narrative and characters in this game as being on some weird crusade is irony in its purest sense.

The game's writing fails on all counts when looked at critically. All of which has been extensively covered through other threads at the time of its release and you can easily go back and check, but given your history I am sure you will immediately dismiss and handwave it all away.
Why do you think my thing says Al Jazeera Special Reporter? Do you think that I set it to that? I have no interest in culture warring, but others around here do...

Top Bottom