• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 has sold more than 2.5 million copies in the first 24 hours

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Not any studio can do action super hero games very well. Outside of Insomniac and Rocksteady, not sure which ones I would have confidence to do a good job. I think Insomniac *can* do a good job with Wolverine, but I think Sucker Punch has the chops to bring in a darker,edgier, not polically correct super hero like Wolverine and all the viscerality needed with a guy who has got dang claws embedded in his got dang fists.

But maybe Insomniac will surprise me. I'd be fine with that.

I dunno, why does it have to be some well known big time studio doing it? Rocksteady was basically a no namer until Arkham Asylum.

Spitballing here, but what if they gave the license to like, the Lies of P devs? Or Eidos Montreal? Or Flying Wild Hog? All of these guys do great action games that arent afraid to have some teeth.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
You can feel the frustration

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

NewYork214

Loving this game. I'm at the point where
i just got to where harry gets the suit back and you play as him.

game is amazing. Even the MJ parts are really fun. So far no complaints. Wish they had more side missions tho. Hoping post game they add more. Replaying cyberpunk b4 this has spoiled me

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I dunno, why does it have to be some well known big time studio doing it? Rocksteady was basically a no namer until Arkham Asylum.

Spitballing here, but what if they gave the license to like, the Lies of P devs? Or Eidos Montreal? Or Flying Wild Hog? All of these guys do great action games that arent afraid to have some teeth.

Not saying the devs you mention couldn't do it. I just think Wolverine is popular enough of an super hero to a warrant tried and true dev. I think back to the Infamous days with Sucker Punch and that just lines up perfectly with Wolverine.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Not saying the devs you mention couldn't do it. I just think Wolverine is popular enough of an super hero to a warrant tried and true dev. I think back to the Infamous days with Sucker Punch and that just lines up perfectly with Wolverine.

Well Batman was peaking when Arkham Asylum dropped (soon enough after Dark Knight blew up) and Rocksteady were nowhere near "tried and true dev" caliber. Yeah it's a risk but giving licensed IP to more unknown devs I think can lead to something a little more out of the box and less "safe" than handing it to someone that's already got a reputation, especially a company that's under the umbrella of a massive corp like Sony (with their agenda becoming ever more transparent with every exclusive unfortunately).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Well Batman was peaking when Arkham Asylum dropped (soon enough after Dark Knight blew up) and Rocksteady were nowhere near "tried and true dev" caliber. Yeah it's a risk but giving licensed IP to more unknown devs I think can lead to something a little more out of the box and less "safe" than handing it to someone that's already got a reputation, especially a company that's under the umbrella of a massive corp like Sony (who's agenda is becoming ever more transparent with every exclusive unfortunately).

Yeah, but that was back when expectations for licensed IP was absolutely nothing. Rocksteady was a shock for all of us. Things ain't the same. Avengers and Gotham Knights were disappointments, not the norm. I'm not against unknown devs taking on a super hero project, but there are lesser known heroes that they can cut their teeth on.

Well Batman was peaking when Arkham Asylum dropped (soon enough after Dark Knight blew up) and Rocksteady were nowhere near "tried and true dev" caliber. Yeah it's a risk but giving licensed IP to more unknown devs I think can lead to something a little more out of the box and less "safe" than handing it to someone that's already got a reputation, especially a company that's under the umbrella of a massive corp like Sony (with their agenda becoming ever more transparent with every exclusive unfortunately).

You're too busy looking at things like "agendas" rather than results like spider-man 2 vs gollum

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yeah, but that was back when expectations for licensed IP was absolutely nothing. Rocksteady was a shock for all of us. Things ain't the same. Avengers and Gotham Knights were disappointments, not the norm. I'm not against unknown devs taking on a super hero project, but there are lesser known heroes that they can cut their teeth on.

Bro you can say that again :messenger_neutral:

ByWatterson

Why the fuck does every irrelevent "promotional" twitter post require its own thread?

Like who gives a shit if a billion dollar company is doing well or if a billion dollar IP is selling well? Why should the average gamer give a fuck? Im not a goddamm shareholder?

Would you like a couch to lie on?

Character-Sigmund-Freud.jpg

Last edited:

Vroadstar

My posts are full of critques of SM2 visuals because ...."checks notes" ...Im a graphics whore. Its been the number one "next gen exclusive" in the spotlight on this forum for months now so of course its the object of most of my conversations in the graphics thread.

For months LOL, the so-called "graphics whore" not using the same energy on the very recent "built-from-the-ground-up" Forza and "next-gen exclusive" Starfield, wonder why?

phant0m

Yet another non-GaaS breaking records and selling hotcakes

Also, low-key Insomniac is PS best studio.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Calm down. Totk did 10m in 3 days which Spiderman 2 won't reach for a while. Totk is also on one console and it isn't even a mainstream Movie IP 😭😅
How rich when every thread about starfield compared it to every game in existence. Sales wise, performance wise, gameplay wise and graphical wise. Also GTA V sold 185m In 3 days? Lol
130m Vs 40 million? Not my problem. Reggie Gif.

Zelda wipes the floor with anything Sony has offered in all the years they have been making games.
giphy.gif

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So take the game away from the only company that has been delivering 20 million+ sales consistently and give it to studios that never even sold half of that amount and have no experience making these games?

Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

I know it doesnt make sense financially or whatever, but yeah, that's what Id like at this point. Let me dream.

Rocksteady had no experience with superhero type games and they created their own sub genre, combat system etc. Miracles can happen.

Believe me I get it that no major publisher takes risks anymore with well known IP. And it sucks.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I know it doesnt make sense financially or whatever, but yeah, that's what Id like at this point. Let me dream.

Rocksteady had no experience with superhero type games and they created their own sub genre, combat system etc. Miracles can happen.

Believe me I get it that no major publisher takes risks anymore with well known IP. And it sucks.
Hmmm...

Can't believe that in a world where we have seen Golem, skull island, the Avengers thing, Gotham knights....etc
someone would still be saying this.

smh...

Ozriel

M$FT
Excellent performance!

Buying insomniac and picking up the rights for this IP are two of the best decisions Sony has made in a long while.

top quality execution, all round.

Top Bottom