• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios' Echo - Official Trailer (2024) Alaqua Cox, Vincent D'Onofrio

Spyxos

Gold Member

Check out the Marvel Studios' Echo trailer for the upcoming series starring Alaqua Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio. All episodes of the original series will be streaming on Disney Plus and Hulu on January 10, 2024. All episodes will be available on Hulu until April 9, 2024.

Looks grittier than expected.
But, oh boy, will Marvel/Disney ever not get tired of the pandering?
After having to play Miles' black deaf girlfriend (who was the most pointless character in the whole game) in Spider-Man 2 they come up with the next protagonist with a disability and they sure as hell will take it up a notch from here...
Who the fuck wants a main character who does not talk?

ManaByte

Gold Member
There's Daredevil
j4MqvhQ.png

wvnative

Don't care anything about this character but super stoked to see their first TV-MA production and it looks decent. Will check it out.

Hopefully this starts a trend of more unique stuff from the MCU.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
After having to play Miles' black deaf girlfriend (who was the most pointless character in the whole game) in Spider-Man 2 they come up with the next protagonist with a disability and they sure as hell will take it up a notch from here...

The comic character is, and has always been, deaf, too. Been in the comics probably longer than you've been alive.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Doing a deaf character in a comic is different than doing it in a tv series, don't you think?

No. What's the difference between the character being able to hear and that same character being deaf? The real difference

Edit: or the difference between the main character speaking English and her speaking a different language like French or Greek?

Last edited:
Doing a deaf character in a comic is different than doing it in a tv series, don't you think?
If you're going to be like this, at least tell us you dislike Daredevil too. I'd rather you double down in your opinion than be hypocritical.

jason10mm

Gold Member
My only real issue with Echo as a character is that they never really set up her deafness as a disability, when in fact for what she does it's a MASSIVE hindrance. But maybe they will have a really cool bit where she can fight Daredevil and it will be the blind fighting the deaf, each exploiting the others weakness and trying to capitalize on their own strengths. FWICR of echo in whatever show she was in before her deafness was just a character trait, never really explored.

But this may give us an idea of how violent Blade could be. Disney TV-MA is unlikely to be much more than PG-13, maybe an extra f bomb or 2, but no skin or real gore.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Hawkeye was deaf in the comics for 20+ years. He only regained his hearing right before the MCU became a thing, thus he could hear in the movies. But then Fraction made him deaf again in the solo Hawkeye series, which the show was based on, so he was using hearing aids in the show.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Ah yes, disabled people are terrible for having the temerity of not being completely abled, and therefore should never be featured in any book, game, movie, or TV show lest it hurts your feelings.

Do you hate Daredevil too? (rhetorical question, we know you never once complained about him being blind)

--

Anywho, this looks way better than I was expecting. Gives off a bit of the Netflix Daredevil vibes just obviously in the Marvel Studios style.

Looks lame, who is echo and do the superheroes even have powers at this point? King Pin beats some old man in the street and she wants revenge is my takeaway from the trailer. Hardly saving the universe from infinity stone level stakes or characters here.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Eric Cartman Lol GIF by South Park

fun fact, although not part of the MCU, there was this obscure show called Helstrom on hulu that was also tv-ma.
What episode of South Park is that from? I keep seeing people posting it but I feel like I’ve never seen the episode before.

Bridges

What episode of South Park is that from? I keep seeing people posting it but I feel like I’ve never seen the episode before.
I haven't watched it yet but I'm pretty sure it's from their most recent special "Enter The Panderverse" which supposedly lampoons Kathleen Kennedy and general recent Disney bullshit

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I haven't watched it yet but I'm pretty sure it's from their most recent special "Enter The Panderverse" which supposedly lampoons Kathleen Kennedy and general recent Disney bullshit
Oh snap, new South Park special? Time to hoist the sails resubscribe to Paramount+

Soodanim

Gold Member
Couldn't really care less about the side character I forgot about entirely until this trailer, but I'll take some Kingpin. My initial reaction is "Great, she's deaf. So what, and?". I hope it's not as all encompassing to her character as that, because that really won't make for interesting TV. But we'll see, the only way to find out is to watch.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't know that I'd call it pandering. This is in a universe where Daredevil exists, and he was a blind heroic figure decades before people started being butthurt by the idea of people with disabilities being more than whimpering invalids.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't know that I'd call it pandering. This is in a universe where Daredevil exists, and he was a blind heroic figure decades before people started being butthurt by the idea of people with disabilities being more than whimpering invalids.
But Daredevil isn't really blind, he has superpowers that not only make him as functional as a sighted person but BETTER in many respects.

Echo, on the other hand, maybe has some powers? But the show at least presented her as just a tough chick who is deaf, but can communicate just as easily with her men, suffers no handicap when maneuvering in massive chaotic environments showing perfect spatial awareness and tactical orientation despite having to look at, and have them look right at you, every single henchman She has to give an order to. It was contrite.

But that's all mostly irrelevant because EVERY superhero operates like this. And if some folks can appreciate the ASL that's great. Where echo fails for me is that she is just a boring character. The actress isn't visually interesting enough, she doesn't really do anything novel with the role, and the writing certainly didn't help. I think they were just so limited on options by self defined rules there was really no chance she would resonance with a large audience.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
D tier character getting a show because reasons. Where's my deaths head show? That could at least be a fun space action adventure romp.

Last edited:

Pigenator

D tier character getting a show because reasons. Where's my deaths head show? That could at least be a fun space action adventure romp.
Deaf, crippled and PoC lead! Marvel execs probably thought they are geniuses making this show

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
But Daredevil isn't really blind, he has superpowers that not only make him as functional as a sighted person but BETTER in many respects.

Echo, on the other hand, maybe has some powers? But the show at least presented her as just a tough chick who is deaf, but can communicate just as easily with her men, suffers no handicap when maneuvering in massive chaotic environments showing perfect spatial awareness and tactical orientation despite having to look at, and have them look right at you, every single henchman She has to give an order to. It was contrite.

But that's all mostly irrelevant because EVERY superhero operates like this. And if some folks can appreciate the ASL that's great. Where echo fails for me is that she is just a boring character. The actress isn't visually interesting enough, she doesn't really do anything novel with the role, and the writing certainly didn't help. I think they were just so limited on options by self defined rules there was really no chance she would resonance with a large audience.
And with your first sentence you explained why the people who think its pandering when disabled people in comic book stories are able to do extraordinary things are morons.

Trying to enforce perceived real world limitations or identity politics onto a character in a universe where it's normal for people to be enhanced or mutated to have superhuman abilities is just being contrarian for the sake of it. There are examples of decades-old characters who have overcome limits of their disabilities via intense physical conditioning/training/technology or superhuman enhancement. Only someone suffering from woke paranoia or just being an "ackshually" neckbeard would call it pandering.

It's fine to think the character is boring because there are tons of boring comic book characters and nobody will like them all. It's stupid to complain that disabled people can do extraordinary things in comic book stories. People who are offended by it should just let it go and let people have their heroes.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

The ways in which this could to tie into an Avengers movie and Xmen with the multiverse could be fun. Phoenix. Thunderbird? Ravencroft/Blade?

I hope Kate and Yelena are in this. Even Sharon Carter.

The scene in Hawkeye where Kate meets Echo is one of the scariest in its menace since Netflix Daredevil with Bullseye. The actress for Kate really sold her fear in the situation, and Hawkeye as the reassuring presence that was unsure if she's going to die helped make the scene scary. TV-MA is encouraging. If the rating is well earned it could also help the audience with expectations and encorage production of different types of stories to be told from the array. TV-MA dramas/action/horror Marvel from other ratings, improving the ability to judge content and reviewers objectively.

Standalone shows are alright if there are a ton of them, but its an investment, they have to mean something even when changed, hooks taken from earlier phases and amplified. Little stories like little storms that get spun up and together to make a big storm. The D+ shows and movies need more ensemble crossover to develop characters from the previous phase and weave them together with storylines other than Kang.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The ways in which this could to tie into an Avengers movie and Xmen with the multiverse could be fun. Phoenix. Thunderbird? Ravencroft/Blade?

I hope Kate and Yelena are in this. Even Sharon Carter.

The scene in Hawkeye where Kate meets Echo is one of the scariest in its menace since Netflix Daredevil with Bullseye. The actress for Kate really sold her fear in the situation, and Hawkeye as the reassuring presence that was unsure if she's going to die helped make the scene scary. TV-MA is encouraging. If the rating is well earned it could also help the audience with expectations and encorage production of different types of stories to be told from the array. TV-MA dramas/action/horror Marvel from other ratings, improving the ability to judge content and reviewers objectively.

Standalone shows are alright if there are a ton of them, but its an investment, they have to mean something even when changed, hooks taken from earlier phases and amplified. Little stories like little storms that get spun up and together to make a big storm. The D+ shows and movies need more ensemble crossover to develop characters from the previous phase and weave them together with storylines other than Kang.

This doesn't tie into anything except for Daredevil.

marvel-spotlight-logo.png

"Marvel Spotlight gives us a platform to bring more grounded, character-driven stories to the screen, and in the case of Echo, focusing on street-level stakes over larger MCU continuity," Head of Streaming Brad Winderbaum explained. "Just like comics fans didn't need to read Avengers or Fantastic Four to enjoy a Ghost Rider Spotlight comic, our audience doesn't need to have seen other Marvel series to understand what's happening in Maya's story."

SJRB

Gold Member
So is her power that she can magically beat men twice her size and weight in hand-to-hand combat?

What is this trailer? It tells me nothing about her, her character, her powers. Might as well be a trailer for a Kingpin show.

RAÏSanÏa

This doesn't tie into anything except for Daredevil.

marvel-spotlight-logo.png
Daredevil which connects with She-Hulk which connects with Wong, Madisynn and Jake?
That didn't have any Kang either that I recall.
Spotlight as a new thing to compartmentalize concurrent storylines that don't intersect is a good idea in theory.
That reinforces it away from Kang.

Foreshadowing of a Ghost Rider Spotlight? Continuity and stakes has been an issue.
Competition and opens up variety.

Coincidentally, I was bouncing around the idea of "What would Mephisto do in the MCU?" after you mentioned Ironheart and thought Echo would also make a good candidate for an infernal bargain. There'd be complaints no doubt, but damn I think the character is well set up to make a run as a Ghost Rider. At least in a What If?.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Daredevil which connects with She-Hulk which connects with Wong, Madisynn and Jake?
That didn't have any Kang either that I recall.
Spotlight as a new thing to compartmentalize concurrent storylines that don't intersect is a good idea in theory.
That reinforces it away from Kang.

Foreshadowing of a Ghost Rider Spotlight? Continuity and stakes has been an issue.
Competition and opens up variety.

Coincidentally, I was bouncing around the idea of "What would Mephisto do in the MCU?" after you mentioned Ironheart and thought Echo would also make a good candidate for an infernal bargain. There'd be complaints no doubt, but damn I think the character is well set up to make a run as a Ghost Rider. At least in a What If?.

So Ironheart will have Anthony Ramos as the Hood and Borat as Myphisto.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So is her power that she can magically beat men twice her size and weight in hand-to-hand combat?

What is this trailer? It tells me nothing about her, her character, her powers. Might as well be a trailer for a Kingpin show.

Photographic Reflexes. Basically same power as Taskmaster. Any action she sees, she masters. There was a scene in Hawkeye where a young Maya (echo) watches a move and copies it perfectly the next time she spars.

Last edited:
Photographic Reflexes. Basically same power as Taskmaster. Any action she sees, she masters. There was a scene in Hawkeye where a young Maya (echo) watches a movie and copies it perfectly the next time she spars.
So if she sees Hawkeye hit a target from a distance, she can copy that too?

Top Bottom