• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios' Echo - Official Trailer (2024) Alaqua Cox, Vincent D'Onofrio

Daredevil which connects with She-Hulk which connects with Wong, Madisynn and Jake?
That didn't have any Kang either that I recall.
Spotlight as a new thing to compartmentalize concurrent storylines that don't intersect is a good idea in theory.
That reinforces it away from Kang.

Foreshadowing of a Ghost Rider Spotlight? Continuity and stakes has been an issue.
Competition and opens up variety.
The funny thing here is that what Marvel is doing now with shows like Echo is exactly what they started doing with the Netflix shows/Agent Carter/Agents of Shield.

And initially the fans complained about those shows not being connected enough, but now fans are starting to prefer disconnected solo stories.

Everyone involved actually went full circle lol.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This doesn't tie into anything except for Daredevil.

marvel-spotlight-logo.png

Marvel readers, like myself at times, are familiar with the "street level" comics. Spider-Man, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, etc. I like that Disney is continuing that with this show - and I pray with their retooling of Daredevil.

Every story doesn't have to be about characters that can shoot lasers and change time and shit while flying through the multiverse. Sometimes it's just about some beat-ass character avenging the wronged in Hell's Kitchen.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Looks grittier than expected.
But, oh boy, will Marvel/Disney ever not get tired of the pandering?
After having to play Miles' black deaf girlfriend (who was the most pointless character in the whole game) in Spider-Man 2 they come up with the next protagonist with a disability and they sure as hell will take it up a notch from here...
Who the fuck wants a main character who does not talk?

This show is likely to be terrible, but you just sound like an absolute twat.

I get the desire to rightly lambast Disney for their constant, never ending pandering, but you’ve dropped into clear, rather nasty prejudice here.

There‘s nothing wrong with wanting to feature a protagonist with a disability. Representation is good.

But it has to be written well - just like any other kind of character. Disney’s problem is they can’t do that, because the writing staff is terrible, lazy and driven by agenda.

Also, Spider-man 2 was Sony, not Disney.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So this is actually a The Kingpin show featuring Echo?

Im in for that.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Photographic Reflexes. Basically same power as Taskmaster. Any action she sees, she masters. There was a scene in Hawkeye where a young Maya (echo) watches a move and copies it perfectly the next time she spars.
See, then why is she a criminal reduced to just punching people? Seems like she would be better off as the world's #1 golfer, lock down a cool billion, THEN turn to a life of petty crime.

The best superhero origins are good people DRIVEN to fight crime, this is an honorable and laudable goal. But who is DRIVEN to be a ganglord if they have dozens of better options?

A lot of villains breakdown when they get the spotlight for this reason, IMHO. Only the crazy/world dominating ones hold up to being center in their own story.

RAÏSanÏa

The funny thing here is that what Marvel is doing now with shows like Echo is exactly what they started doing with the Netflix shows/Agent Carter/Agents of Shield.

And initially the fans complained about those shows not being connected enough, but now fans are starting to prefer disconnected solo stories.

Everyone involved actually went full circle lol.
Being late to the Marvel party I haven't gotten around to watching Carter due to it not mattering. Well, early and late in the sense that I watched Iron Man The Hulk for 70s nostalgia and cinema RDJ, Norton & Roth, then skipped movies until the second Avengers for director then caught up. I did watch a bit of Agents while waiting for Endgame and was surprised at the panty scene.
It was a bit like Melrose Place, but could use a bit more Amanda attitude.

They should do more of that in one or two shows. To be this decade it'd be wild if She-Hulk in season 2 got an Onlyfans. Not even going to that extent for every character it worldbuilds for the superladies to wear sexy costumes. From lyrca to lingerie as would reflect reality. Not that there wouldn't be gaudy like Titania.

The Spotlight label might be good for those Spelling type shows, but it could also be good for introducing things like Miles as Spider-Man and moving the characteristics that were Peters like science, tragic backstory, introversion to another(new?) character. Different types of stories from drama to horror, trom G to TV-MA, it'd be fun to see what ends up trending.

Disney should take the lesson and not completely disconnect though. Events happening in main storyline in these Spotlights is advertising, just might have to keep to things going from Spotlight to main story to Easter eggs.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Being late to the Marvel party I haven't gotten around to watching Carter due to it not mattering. Well, early and late in the sense that I watched Iron Man The Hulk for 70s nostalgia and cinema RDJ, Norton & Roth, then skipped movies until the second Avengers for director then caught up. I did watch a bit of Agents while waiting for Endgame and was surprised at the panty scene.
It was a bit like Melrose Place, but could use a bit more Amanda attitude.

They should do more of that in one or two shows. To be this decade it'd be wild if She-Hulk in season 2 got an Onlyfans. Not even going to that extent for every character it worldbuilds for the superladies to wear sexy costumes. From lyrca to lingerie as would reflect reality. Not that there wouldn't be gaudy like Titania.

Haven't you heard? Attractive women in skimpy outfits is SEXIST....you ANIMAL!!!!

Of course no one mentions that there is a guy topless there as well, and how hard he had to diet and work to get those abs for that day. Fuck men though, the pig!

These actresses are hired 95% for their looks. If they can emote a bit and remember their lines, thats just gravy. Every now and then we get a Jennifer Lawrence combo of attractive and acting talent. I don't think they can really complain about having to flaunt that body they've worked so hard for/paid for. And of course now a lot of them aren't being hired and the casting directors are going for "more interesting looking people" to fill some DIE quota and I think the visual appeal of media has suffered. Same marginal acting, but way less eye candy to cover up boring writing.

RAÏSanÏa

Haven't you heard? Attractive women in skimpy outfits is SEXIST....you ANIMAL!!!!

Of course no one mentions that there is a guy topless there as well, and how hard he had to diet and work to get those abs for that day. Fuck men though, the pig!

These actresses are hired 95% for their looks. If they can emote a bit and remember their lines, thats just gravy. Every now and then we get a Jennifer Lawrence combo of attractive and acting talent. I don't think they can really complain about having to flaunt that body they've worked so hard for/paid for. And of course now a lot of them aren't being hired and the casting directors are going for "more interesting looking people" to fill some DIE quota and I think the visual appeal of media has suffered. Same marginal acting, but way less eye candy to cover up boring writing.
There's always those harping on and on about their fixations. Always complaining, never appreciating.

Variety is the key. Sexy conservative outfits standout from the revealing in the adult orientated shows. It could reflect powers, maybe psions are more prone to jaunt around in lingerie, like Emma Frost. MCU witches seem more conservative, but that could be explained by the sample/coven. Costume could be a source of friction for comedy and drama in and out of story.

Unsure what you mean by interesting looking and don't know what a DIE quota is.
The closest I can think of to what you mean by interesting is maybe Tilda Swinton. I thought she was perfect for an ancient reclusive wizard. She didn't need to be sexy and it didn't seem forced that she wasn't/wouldn't be dressed sexy with the characterization/setting. Not that there couldn't be sexy witches/wizards, just maybe not at Kamartaj.

Angela Basset had commandingly sexy costumes. Scarlet Witch too. Neither being terribly revealing and solid actresses.

There are some oddly utilized actors like Julia Louise Dreyfuss.

The writing/acting for Falcon & Winter Soldier had some good moments. Especially with Bucky/counsellor and Falcon/Isaiah. Wandavision. Hawkeye.
Loki season 2 seems weaker than the first. No eye catching costumes in any sense, not even something neat like classic Loki.
Even with some of the amazing scenes in it Moonknight is mostly forgotten. Costuming was fairly bland. Those god scenes do give me hope for spectacular Zarathos/Mephisto scenes both visual and writing if they take inspiration and develop.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Looks grittier than expected.
But, oh boy, will Marvel/Disney ever not get tired of the pandering?
After having to play Miles' black deaf girlfriend (who was the most pointless character in the whole game) in Spider-Man 2 they come up with the next protagonist with a disability and they sure as hell will take it up a notch from here...
Who the fuck wants a main character who does not talk?

Let's go for the ultimate disability. A fucking levitating head for a protagonist. :messenger_loudly_crying:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
My only real issue with Echo as a character is that they never really set up her deafness as a disability, when in fact for what she does it's a MASSIVE hindrance. But maybe they will have a really cool bit where she can fight Daredevil and it will be the blind fighting the deaf, each exploiting the others weakness and trying to capitalize on their own strengths. FWICR of echo in whatever show she was in before her deafness was just a character trait, never really explored.
Kinda funny you said that because a scene from the show had them fighting. The clip was taken down as it wasn't officially released yet.

Choreography was pretty good too! Long take. No "Taken" editing tricks.

She doesn't know he's blind and he doesn't know she's dead. At least based on this scene above.

However, how is it a hindrance? You don't need to talk to fight.

And I'm not addressing this next part to you but others who think being deaf and doing acting or fighting or anything like that is impossible...

At deaf schools, they have sports teams. It's no different from mainstream HSs.

There are deaf and hard of hearing doctors, nurses, engineers, Lawyers, physicists, etc. The way some posters talk, deaf people shouldn't be allowed to do anything but menial work.

I'm not mad but this is part of what I used to do: educate and advocate for the Deaf/HoH and people with Tourette

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy

oh no my only possible reason for watching this show. I’ve seen it now. So ok cool.
Also wouldn’t daredevil beat her in a straight fight ? She doesn’t have super strength etc so as he is hitting her with some metal sticks shouldn’t she be a bit messed up ?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
oh no my only possible reason for watching this show. I’ve seen it now. So ok cool.
Also wouldn’t daredevil beat her in a straight fight ? She doesn’t have super strength etc so as he is hitting her with some metal sticks shouldn’t she be a bit messed up ?

When he's hitting/blocking her legs with the batons, he's hitting her metal leg. And the weight of the batons isn't like that of a bat... So it won't do as much damage as that ... A metal pole of similar size is a more apt comparison.

Also, DD doesn't have super strength either.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It kinda looks like fighting in some sort of delay, she gets hit and then moves, same as him, like they are waiting for the next move. Not sure the flow of a fight is there. but nice choreography.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
When he's hitting/blocking her legs with the batons, he's hitting her metal leg. And the weight of the batons isn't like that of a bat... So it won't do as much damage as that ... A metal pole of similar size is a more apt comparison.

Also, DD doesn't have super strength either.

Further to what Aditar said, if the fight had been more fluid and natural throughout the faux one-take, it would have been pretty decent. I really disliked Hawkeye the show, but will give this one a shot for ol' Vinnie and Charlie.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Stick a chick in it.

I am on a Marvel break right now. I am playing Spiderman 2 though on PS5.

Personally I wonder if Marvel will pivot to another Iron Man, Hulk etc. soon or will try to develop the current characters more?

NickFire

Maybe this will be the Disney IP that finally gets my wife interested in super hero stuff. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

More seriously, with Mando probably being mid to late 2025, I think I could save money if I dropped Disney + and just bought my kids whatever Disney releases that they have any interest in for the next couple of years. And I'm not sure if anyone but me even cares about Mando after the last season (Book of Bo Katan) and Ahsoka (both kids stopped watching mid season). Deadpool 3 is honestly the only thing I think my kids are looking forward to from Disney, or even remotely interested in. No way that costs more than a year of plus.

Maybe this will be the Disney IP that finally gets my wife interested in super hero stuff. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

More seriously, with Mando probably being mid to late 2025, I think I could save money if I dropped Disney + and just bought my kids whatever Disney releases that they have any interest in for the next couple of years. And I'm not sure if anyone but me even cares about Mando after the last season (Book of Bo Katan) and Ahsoka (both kids stopped watching mid season). Deadpool 3 is honestly the only thing I think my kids are looking forward to from Disney, or even remotely interested in. No way that costs more than a year of plus.

This was always Dave Filoni's dream scenario, to bring the cartoon gobbly-gook characters he created to live action spotlight if given the chance.

My kids are very interested in Inside Out 2, I think that's basically a guaranteed hit.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Lol that quote is nonsense, maya lopez is like a c-tier character nobody cares about at all, comparing her to squirrel girl is insane, but I see what they are doing there by also mentioning safe space and snowflake who are so f-tier, their book never launched, or maybe it stealthily did but I don't care to find out.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Kinda funny you said that because a scene from the show had them fighting. The clip was taken down as it wasn't officially released yet.

Choreography was pretty good too! Long take. No "Taken" editing tricks.

She doesn't know he's blind and he doesn't know she's dead. At least based on this scene above.

However, how is it a hindrance? You don't need to talk to fight.
Damn, spoiler that stuff, man!!! :p

Anyway, I just hope there is a scene (it have to be a flashback I think) where she runs across Purple Man and can't hear his commands and just brushes past him, to his eternal dismay. Make the deafness a relevant characteristic. Have a few scenes where she has to throw stuff at her sidekicks so they look at her to read her signs. Emphasize that she uses other visual or vibration cues to detect someone walking up behind her, about to strike. And she should DEFINITELY suffer a few setbacks because she couldn't hear a grenade pin release, gun cock, or whatever, because that humanizes her and that's how you balance the character. Don't need to dwell on it, but establish how differently she interacts with the world and that simultaneously leaves her with some vulnerability and some advantages given her line of work.

And PLEASE let me know if they throw any easter eggs or jokes in with the sign language. My niece knows ASL and would get a kick out of it.

She's one of the most interesting characters in the MCU, right next to Squirrel Girl, Safe Space and Snowflake.
I read that sentence and only recognized the Squirrel Girl and only because of Epic Rap Battle of History :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Damn, spoiler that stuff, man!!! :p

Anyway, I just hope there is a scene (it have to be a flashback I think) where she runs across Purple Man and can't hear his commands and just brushes past him, to his eternal dismay. Make the deafness a relevant characteristic. Have a few scenes where she has to throw stuff at her sidekicks so they look at her to read her signs. Emphasize that she uses other visual or vibration cues to detect someone walking up behind her, about to strike. And she should DEFINITELY suffer a few setbacks because she couldn't hear a grenade pin release, gun cock, or whatever, because that humanizes her and that's how you balance the character. Don't need to dwell on it, but establish how differently she interacts with the world and that simultaneously leaves her with some vulnerability and some advantages given her line of work.

And PLEASE let me know if they throw any easter eggs or jokes in with the sign language. My niece knows ASL and would get a kick out of it.

LoL I will!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I wish she had another deaf person to talk with in this first episode... Two culturally Deaf people together and their faces LIGHT UP... FACIAL expressions are part of ASL... But with hearing people, their faces can be stoic

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That brought me back ... The tribal dances in the "This Season" montage. The Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians at the Rez was always cool to see at the Choctaw Fair.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
2 eps down and I really love Maya now. She got balls! Loved all the recapping of Daredevil and Hawkeye for those who want to jump in straight from DD.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I take it back ... Bonnie isn't that attractive. The fireman clothes made her booty look rounder.

But fun fact: young Maya is actually Alaqua Cox's cousin.

Toons

I take it back ... Bonnie isn't that attractive. The fireman clothes made her booty look rounder.

But fun fact: young Maya is actually Alaqua Cox's cousin.

K Devery, if that's who it is, is hot af and I will accept no other opinions.

Its whiplash seeing her play someone actually her age when she played a teen so convincingly in reservation dogs.

I saw ep one and it was solid, that fight scene was hype af. However you can tell a lot was cut and chopped out but it kinds helps the show keep a steady pace.

I love that Maya has a personality and attitude about her, you dont see that from deaf characters a lot and often their only character trait is being def. But the actress uses expressions and mannerisms to tell you exactly what kinda person Maya is

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Nice mid credits scene at the end of episode 5!

I really liked this show. Not the BEST but it has some good action scenes and a personal story. They changed up her powers ...

Top Bottom