• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios' Echo - Official Trailer (2024) Alaqua Cox, Vincent D'Onofrio

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
K Devery, if that's who it is, is hot af and I will accept no other opinions.

Its whiplash seeing her play someone actually her age when she played a teen so convincingly in reservation dogs.

I saw ep one and it was solid, that fight scene was hype af. However you can tell a lot was cut and chopped out but it kinds helps the show keep a steady pace.

I love that Maya has a personality and attitude about her, you dont see that from deaf characters a lot and often their only character trait is being def. But the actress uses expressions and mannerisms to tell you exactly what kinda person Maya is

I want your opinions on the finale.

I felt like the finale was very personal... Like she's finally found peace in herself and tried to do that for Kingpin... Even after all he did, she forgave him ... It's a slower series for sure but it hit all right spots emotionally and action wise... I wonder how they'll expand her power set in the future.

Glad to see there was a topic for this.

Honestly, this was the best Marvel show since Daredevil.

This should be the formula for their television efforts going forward. Character driven, logical connective tissue to the greater MCU, and great production values.

With little fanfare Echo manages to feel more relevant to Marvel than Loki ever did.

I want your opinions on the finale.

I felt like the finale was very personal... Like she's finally found peace in herself and tried to do that for Kingpin... Even after all he did, she forgave him ... It's a slower series for sure but it hit all right spots emotionally and action wise... I wonder how they'll expand her power set in the future.

I finished watching this

While I loved Loki Season 2, this show turned out good too. I really liked how they ended the show too. Hopefully she shows up in the new Daredevil show

It's a surprise since the only thing I like in Phase 5 is Loki Season 2

I still need to watch What If Season 2

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I finished watching this

While I loved Loki Season 2, this show turned out good too. I really liked how they ended the show too. Hopefully she shows up in the new Daredevil show

It's a surprise since the only thing I like in Phase 5 is Loki Season 2

I still need to watch What If Season 2

Thought daredevil had been canned?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Like the like the series but living in the South just ruins Marvel. Everything is filmed in Georgia and it’s funny trying to pass that off as other states.

JCK75

I've heard people say they like this show and I'm absolutely blown away and I'm wondering what in the hell did you find appealing about it? The protagonist is a complete piece of garbage played by an actress who cannot act... When your deaf you have to have some sort of facial expressions and know how to emote with your face or else it's just blank and boring. As much as I hate using the word, they completely cucked kingpin.. and Maya is fucking horrible.. she's terrible human being putting everyone who loves her and I can't understand why they do endanger because she's reckless and ignorant.. she's completely unapologetic about it.

And the ending was one of the worst most incomprehensible things I've ever seen.

SJRB

Gold Member
All I see is bits from the fight sequence with Daredevil and that shit looks hilarious.

I feel bad for Charlie Cox. What a waste of talent.

Toons

Aww man! LoL ok. Alaqua Cox looks better in the show than she did in Hawkeye.

I finished it today.

Overall, really enjoyed it. The stuff featuring the native culture was really well done... we really need more shoes featuring this stuff. I have distant ancestry with indigenous peoples, and its something I wish to delve into more. I've always had deep respect for aspects of the culture, the connection to ancestors and animals... cool to see some aspects of that featured.

Vincent dnofrio is just great, he is perfect for this character and this role even after all these years he nails it. Fisk is like a ferocious child, but incredibly intimidating at the same time. Cox also did really well communicating the emotion needed, its crazy shes a newcomer. I hope she gets to do more stuff outside of just the mcu.

That being said, its very clear at several points that stuff was cut, like its pretty obvious. I like the pacing overall but there are points you can clearly see they had more stuff shot and made but cut it down to condense. Which probably was ultimately for the better, but hopefully they can avoid approaching that problem in the first place.

Overall one of the better shows from marvel, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Its a condensed story and it ends a little too fast but what is here is good

Toons

This last page was positive until the weekend hit, what happened?

Best to just watch for yourself and derive your own conclusions. I enjoyed it, I've heard from some who thought it was mid and some who didn't like it.

But I'd pay close attention to who's actually listing out their reasoning snd who's just listing a video.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Best to just watch for yourself and derive your own conclusions. I enjoyed it, I've heard from some who thought it was mid and some who didn't like it.

But I'd pay close attention to who's actually listing out their reasoning snd who's just listing a video.
What earned it the TV-MA? Language, kids in peril, or some side boob? And how much DD is there? I'm not really vested in the Echo character, but if they weave her into a larger street MCU scene I'm down for that, especially if they tease some Blade/vamp action.

Toons

What earned it the TV-MA? Language, kids in peril, or some side boob? And how much DD is there? I'm not really vested in the Echo character, but if they weave her into a larger street MCU scene I'm down for that, especially if they tease some Blade/vamp action.

DD is literally in it for one extended fight scene. Its a cool scene but its literally just a cameo where he busts an operation echo happens to be a part of.

Violence is the main thing for the rating, its not that bad but its definitely above the other D plus stuff, there's a lot of blood splatter and some brain matter stuff when certain characters get shot. Bone breaks and lacerations such are more frequent, the fighting in general is a bit more intense. No where near stuff like punisher.

The show has no sex stuff in it at all, there's language but its not that much

The show is very self contained, focuses on its main character story arc, there's an end credits scene that teases developments for the DD show but aside from that its a story between her and fisk only. I personally appreciate that but if your only watching the stuff to keep up with future installments you probably should temper your expectations. Im not hugely knowledgeable of echo, but I thought her arc here was the best part of the show. It plays out like a comic mini series mainly.

Last edited:

Toons

Finding out the main character is deaf was brutal, I think you can fool people into thinking watching your crap with over the top scenes in a trailer.

She was in an entire tv show before this where she was clearly displayed to be deaf and mute.

She's also been deaf for about 20 years in the comics.

This isn't one of those things they sprung on you, you just weren't privy to it beforehand lol

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
She was in an entire tv show before this where she was clearly displayed to be deaf and mute.

She's also been deaf for about 20 years in the comics.

This isn't one of those things they sprung on you, you just weren't privy to it beforehand lol

Sure, sure, but I'd rather watch Daredevil =(

deoxxys

Neo Member
Yo what?? People here can say they find women unattractive without being called an incel? They can mention diversity check boxes without being called an alt-righter or Trumper?

😂 I wanted to check out this forum because GameFAQs irritated me with a bunch of people defending the She-Hulk ranting at Bruce scene.

Toons

Yo what?? People here can say they find women unattractive without being called an incel? They can mention diversity check boxes without being called an alt-righter or Trumper?

People bring up both of those things on Gfaqs all the time.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

😂 I wanted to check out this forum because GameFAQs irritated me with a bunch of people defending the She-Hulk ranting at Bruce scene.

We have diversity of thought on here. No hive mind in either direction

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

We’re not a hive mind.

Btw, we have a strict no politics rule.

deoxxys

Neo Member
We’re not a hive mind.

Btw, we have a strict no politics rule.
I love that actually, politics are boring to me.
I appreciate the heads-up though.

Gamefaqs shut their political board so everyone migrated to the current events board which is their biggest general social board. At first it was unbearable how many political topics there were. It died down but it's still pretty moderate. I actually made a topic there the other day and said "take a shot for every Trump topic". During the lifespan of my topic it ranged from 20-30 active topics.

That's another thing different about this place. I noticed there seems to be no time limit to how long a topics stays active or a cap on the maximum amount of posts. GFs limits to 500.

Last edited:

We have diversity of thought on here. No hive mind in either direction

I love that actually, politics are boring to me.
I appreciate the heads-up though.

Gamefaqs shut their political board so everyone migrated to the current events board which is their biggest general social board. At first it was unbearable how many political topics there were. It died down but it's still pretty moderate. I actually made a topic there the other day and said "take a shot for every Trump topic". During the lifespan of my topic it ranged from 20-30 active topics.

That's another thing different about this place. I noticed there seems to be no time limit to how long a topics stays active or a cap on the maximum amount of posts. GFs limits to 500.

To expand upon the no politics rule, I generally avoid mentioning politicians or political parties, but discussion of various politicized social issues is usually fine in the context of a gaming news story. For example, we have a thread about the leaked DEI presentation that took place at Insomniac Games.

What is generally frowned upon is starting new threads not associated with any news story to complain about "wokeness" or "anti-wokeness" or anything of the sort. It's also probably not a good idea to describe fellow forum members as "woke" or "alt-right" or anything like that. Lastly, scroll down all the way on any page and click "bans" in the lower right corner. Read the last posts of people there for a good idea on what not to do. Even if a specific post isn't listed that caused the ban, you can still usually view the post history to see why.

As for time limits for active posts, the only limit is that the official threads for a game are generally moved to the community thread when the game has been out for a month. Anyhow, welcome to NeoGAF!

deoxxys

Neo Member
Wow okay that's actually some great tips. I'll check out the ban list. I think I will get along just fine here! Thanks for the intro! Might check out that insomniac thread.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Seeing deaf kids AND deaf adults (especially those who are culturally Deaf and not just people like me who lost their hearing) ... DEEPLY affected by seeing not just Maya but her family signing back to her and understanding her. That's something most deafies don't have; the hearing members of your family actually learning YOUR language.

I know it doesn't affect most, or all, of y'all ... But this show has really inspired a lot of deaf kids and made so many deafies feel seen. And I have to say I did too.

Watched it. Did not expect much but it was still pretty underwhelming.
Marvel knows the best thing they ever put out was the Daredevil show so they want to ride on that dick now.
But future is looking bleak for them, my expectations for Born Again are on an all time low.

Toons

Seeing deaf kids AND deaf adults (especially those who are culturally Deaf and not just people like me who lost their hearing) ... DEEPLY affected by seeing not just Maya but her family signing back to her and understanding her. That's something most deafies don't have; the hearing members of your family actually learning YOUR language.

I know it doesn't affect most, or all, of y'all ... But this show has really inspired a lot of deaf kids and made so many deafies feel seen. And I have to say I did too.

I did appreciate that the show pointed out that kingpin would rather hire a translator who he immediately has killed when he's done using her, then commissioning some tech to be made that does it for him than to actually bother to learn the sign language.

Its stuff that sells how he's mainly using her for selfish reasons not genuine care, and it also shows how he likes to use people to do his dirtier work.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I did appreciate that the show pointed out that kingpin would rather hire a translator who he immediately has killed when he's done using her, then commissioning some tech to be made that does it for him than to actually bother to learn the sign language.

Its stuff that sells how he's mainly using her for selfish reasons not genuine care, and it also shows how he likes to use people to do his dirtier work.
Well, they could just text each other. No wonder tech or expendable intermediaries necessary.

Im pretty convinced my wife and kids are all deaf for how much we only communicate by text and how little they listen to the words coming out of my mouth :p

Top Bottom