• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Ant-Man - Trailer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerX

Banned
Wow. That wasn't the disaster I was expecting, it looked really really good. I laughed hard at the "makes sense" line. Looking forward to it.

Afrodium

Banned
Seems pretty obvious that it's a mixture of serious/comedy to me...

But that could be said of every Marvel movie. I think that people, myself included, can't get a read on this is because this trailer looks just as serious as any Marvel movie but it just can't be taking itself that seriously, right?

Good god i hope WB snatches him up for flash or something. The man managed to make Simon Pegg look like a chan-esque drunken master

If theres a lot of stuff like that gun run and the train then day one

Wright for any superhero movie would be fucking insane, look at the stuff Ant-Man is bringing and he probably was only able to storyboard it.

The World's End had AMAZING action

wildfire

Banned
I hope this movie is a treat for those that liked that trailer. I laughed but I felt this movie will be mediocre. I'll pass.

But that could be said of every Marvel movie. I think that people, myself included, can't get a read on this is because this trailer looks just as serious as any Marvel movie but it just can't be taking itself that seriously, right?

Ant-Man is a real, serious character in the comics, why can't he be on film? The comedy helps to draw people into his world, and then they get to see that its actually a movie with more substance than that. There's clearly some very Marvel Comics-like pathos in the story of Scott's redemption and Hank wanting to repair his family.

Looks fun and enjoyable. I'm a little skeptical on this whole Spiderman feel of this movie mixed with something I can't pin point but it looks like another light hearted fun Marvel movie. I'm percheD

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Man I just cannot get a read on this movie - it certainly has some tonally-inconsistent trailers. Is this a more serious entry into the MCU like Winter Soldier? Is it more of an action comedy in the vein of GOTG? Is it somewhere in between like The Avengers? On the plus side, the costume and effects looks great.

I have a feeling when Edgar Wright was at the helm, it was more of a comedy with some action sprinkled throughout - but when he left the project it was made to be more tonally consistent with the rest of the MCU.

According to interviews with the actors, they said the tone of the film was pretty much comedic.

With Adam McKay and Rudd writing the script, it's not surprising.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I mean, it's a Marvel movie. There was no chance I wasn't going to see it on opening day

But this trailer secured that I actually really want to

I remember in the earlier time of the MCU that whenever the possibility of Ant-Man was brought up, many felt it could never fit in with the MCU because how unrealistic it would be, or how stupid a concept it was compared to the "other" movies.

I think Marvel is fuckin' hitting the nail on the head with pulling this "strange ideas" off as legit movies. Now I can't say anything about the finished product, but the trailer looks awesome. I love how Marvel is not afraid to embrace it's bizarre side with some of these properties. I would hope DC can muster enough balls to do that(DC has some awesome bizarre properties that I'd love to see in their upcoming cinematic universe).

Word.

Balance of Wright and McKay/Rudd would be perfect. They're all clever, good writers after all.

Hell yeah. I think it could be a winner. The more I look at the trailer, the more I like it...

Good god i hope WB snatches him up for flash or something. The man managed to make Simon Pegg look like a chan-esque drunken master

If theres a lot of stuff like that gun run and the train then day one

Yesssss, without a doubt. Inventive sequences like that will make this movie. If one or two of them land, that alone will get people talking.

J10

Banned
I remember in the earlier time of the MCU that whenever the possibility of Ant-Man was brought up, many felt it could never fit in with the MCU because how unrealistic it would be, or how stupid a concept it was compared to the "other" movies.

I think Marvel is fuckin' hitting the nail on the head with pulling this "strange ideas" off as legit movies. Now I can't say anything about the finished product, but the trailer looks awesome. I love how Marvel is not afraid to embrace it's bizarre side with some of these properties. I would hope DC can muster enough balls to do that(DC has some awesome bizarre properties that I'd love to see in their upcoming cinematic universe).

As a long time reader of the books I can tell you that it's easy to take for granted that any of this might seem "strange" to people. It all makes perfect sense to me. These shows and movies can't get weird enough.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
That train-set-piece actually made me chuckle. I feel kinda bad it's a hero-vs-villain-version-of-himself again. We've had those to the death (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Man of Steel, etc). Still gonna watch it though, looks like it's a fun ride.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The fight scenes look great, but the rest looks kind of generic. Hopefully everything pulls together. I didn't realize release was so close too.

Fantastic trailer. The first teaser wasn't bad but nothing about it made me excited or set the movie apart from anything else.

This was full of stuff that's very different than anything else Marvel has done including GOTG. Very risky and funny.

Day 1

I was sold before, but I'm super sold now.

I just would like to see a few more comedic beats. So far it's been action, action, holy shit look at that special effect, joke, action... Let Paul Rudd do what he does best.

But goddamn that train bit got me.

Michael Douglas could be really funny in this too if they wrote some bits for him. He's got solid comedy chops.

As a long time reader of the books I can tell you that it's easy to take for granted that any of this might seem "strange" to people. It all makes perfect sense to me. These shows and movies can't get weird enough.

To non-comic fans, it would seem strange. Yeah, for fans of the genre of comics(be them super hero, EC-styled or such), this isn't out of the norm. But I think with movies and fans not THAT familiar with super heroes outside of the more known figures, a lot of studios are reluctant to go "too strange" because they aren't sure how the audience will react. MCU seems to be embracing all the different sides of the Marvel comic universe. IMO, that's a good thing.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That train-set-piece actually made me chuckle. I feel kinda bad it's a hero-vs-villain-version-of-himself again. We've had those to the death (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Man of Steel, etc). Still gonna watch it though, looks like it's a fun ride.

Yeah, I was just gonna make that comment. I feel like they've done that plotline a lot.

This looks like a lot of fun though, I'll definitely go see it.

Busty

Banned
Eh. If I had to use one word to describe that it would be 'solid'. It didn't really wow me and I'm still not sure how the whole shrinking mechanic is going to work beyond some (admittedly pretty great) sight gags.

If it wasn't for the train visual gag (which totally worked for me) at the end it felt a pretty by the numbers trailer to be honest.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Formless

S5lIWxF.gif

Could they not have taught her how to punch before this? Extremely minor gripe, seems her character will be fine.

Looks fun. I'm a little hesitant about Rudd in the lead role. I think that's mostly because I can't see past all the goofy stuff he's done in the past. Taking him seriously as a thief who is reformed right out of prison is kind of a stretch for me.

Blader

I have a feeling when Edgar Wright was at the helm, it was more of a comedy with some action sprinkled throughout - but when he left the project it was made to be more tonally consistent with the rest of the MCU.

Because "action comedy" was already an outlier among Marvel movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom