• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider Man 2 Gameplay Revealed - Releases Fall 2023 | PlayStation Showcase

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The suit looks terrible, even in the 4K trailer.

Cdx0FDj.png
Pretty sure the first trailer was pixel counted to be native 4k.

Wouldnt be suprised if they are targeting native 4k wasting half of the GPU power on rendering pixels instead of pushing visual fidelity by offering better models, better lighting, explosions and other visual effects.

IF this is targeting 1440p and they still look this bad then wow.

Thought what was shown was pretty good.
But that symbiote suit looked terrible . The powers seemed cool- that being said, i have also seen those powers in prototype so maybe it will be fun.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Definitely looks no where like the Reveal trailer and certainly not a generation leap or even close to the Matrix demo.
Honestly looks like a PS4 game.

What happened? ChiefDada ChiefDada

Don't ask me Static I'm at a loss for words. F***ing awful.

Edit: But no I do not believe it looks like a PS4 game. Still awful showing though.

Last edited:
HATE their rendition of the Back Suit. Probably the worse version of it made. But the game will be awesome I'm sure and hopefully they'll have alternative styles.

Why are all their inhouse design suits so bad?
I liked the default suit with the white spider in the first game. Subjectivity gonna subjectivate

SABRE220

I literally played the PS5 version of Spider-Man 3 days ago... My glasses aren't tinted.
I have aswell which makes me question how you cant see the flaws in the visuals look at the images above in this very thread. Look at the low res textures and geometry on the suit, look at the goopy water and ps3 gen particle res. Legit it looks unfinished.

MirageMew2

Holy shit what happened to the HUD? Clearly the tent pole game for their Project Q bullshit with that mobile-style HUD.

Last edited:

SABRE220

P
The Miles Morales expansion somehow looks more impressive from a visual standpoint than this gameplay demo shown today. Looks like this game may be coming in hot. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed to 2024.
Pretty much my thoughts, this looks janky and unpolished compared to its predecessor. The lighting and overall visuals lack cohesion.

Billbofet

This was very underwhelming to me. I'm sure it will be a great time, but really thought it would look better than DLC to be honest.

Mr Moose

I have aswell which makes me question how you cant see the flaws in the visuals look at the images above in this very thread. Look at the low res textures and geometry on the suit, look at the goopy water and ps3 gen particle res. Legit it looks unfinished.
Watch the 4k video, you really think it looks the same as Spider-Man remastered on PS5? If you do... Then I have nothing left to say to you. And yes, the game is unfinished, duh.

I was going to make a thread about something related to this...but ain't worth it.

I am just going to make this observation;

Sony's First party development had two eras:

FIRST ERA:
PS3, they double down on AAA first party production, the outcome, the eureka moment:

Uncharted 2/ The Last Of Us.

Sony managed to find their winning formula

SECOND ERA
:
PS4: the refinement of the formula.
This formula goes beyond the final results. it has to do with workflow production processes. Technical, technological and design wise.

The final example of this: GoW Ragnarok.

Benefits: insane quality benchmarks sony managed to achieve.

Drawbacks: homogeneity between titles across First-Party.

THIRD ERA:
PS5.

Stagnation?

Or

Revolution?

Personally speaking I hope sony is aware they are trading on some migthy thin ice here.

Because the swing could bite their ass in a spectacular way.

So. Are PlayStation AAA games limited by budget or hardware?

They better have something truly "Next-Gen" (I am not talking about graphics) when the show PS5 only games.

3liteDragon

Ok I’ve yet to see the 4K gameplay vid but judging from the 4K screenshots it looks amazing, huge step up from last gen. I’m expecting the final product to obviously look better but showcase overall was disappointing for me man.

Kerotan

More like Spider-Man 1.75, amrite?

Like, come on, why do they keep making these sequels that are just more of the same? At least back in the day you could see the leap between those first-party sequels but nowadays it's like literally the same game only with with some more story content.
They set the bar so high with the original it's not easy to keep perfecting perfection.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They set the bar so high with the original it's not easy to keep perfecting perfection.

Really? The original was just a generic Ubisoft clone of a game with fun swinging mechanics and Arkham style combat. Nothing about it was perfect. It had poor narrative pacing, weak villains, and a few neat set pieces filled with a lot of boredom inbetween.

I was hoping or a hell of a lot more than... the same damn thing.

Fbh

Meh.
So it's just more of the same with marginally better graphics.
I guess cool for those who loved the first games but I was already getting a bit tired of the formula with Miles Morales. Like Miles I'll get this on sale (or when it comes to Ps+)

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
The graphics dont look good? Which is surprising because this is the same studio that put out rnc rift apart. I guess it looks like a ps4 game, but maybe the ps5 is letting them do other things that they couldnt show off. Bigger more dynamic world, denser traffic and pedestrians ect…

I wasn’t expecting it to be the best looking game ever,but I think it looks fine, and honestly I’m OK with more of the same. This game will be fun, just like the first game. I got the plat in the base game but never cared to play the Miles expansion, so I’m not really burnt out on the formula. It’s also been a couple years, will be nice to jump back into the loop of fighting, web swinging, and some light puzzle solving. Don’t have to reinvent the wheel to make something great.

Last edited:

SABRE220

I liked the added wingsuite and faster webslinging but fuck me is the game disappointing graphics wise.
2.jpg

5.jpg

18.jpg

15.jpg
Naw you need to rewatch the trailer in true 4k, this is peak next gen right here...though seriously after the technical masterclass of ratchet this just makes my head hurt, this is a clearly talented studio with ample budget. Like seriously what happened.

Last edited:

Synless

Can anyone specifically point to what exactly was impressive about this showing? I expected a much bigger jump in graphics.

Graphics look fine, but the gameplay… ehh. More and more ‘press button to see awesome animations’.
Looked more like an Uncharted game than an open world action game.

Top Bottom