• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

Has this been posted?

An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)

"Recent guidelines from South Korea and China report that chloroquine is an effective antiviral therapeutic treatment against Coronavirus Disease 2019. Use of chloroquine (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay. US CDC research shows that chloroquine also has strong potential as a prophylactic (preventative) measure against coronavirus in the lab, while we wait for a vaccine to be developed. Chloroquine is an inexpensive, globally available drug that has been in widespread human use since 1945 against malaria, autoimmune and various other conditions." (In consultation with Stanford University School of Medicine, UAB School of Medicine and National Academy of Sciences researchers)

I agree with you, it's clearly an opportunity to take away certain rights from citizens. However, it's not going to happen. You'll just be yelling into the void and personally, I'd rather save my voice.
Well I'm not sure about the last part. I don't expect people to take to the streets (lol) in opposition, but they should at least be aware it is going on. The only way to make people aware is to discuss it.

Thankfully, a lot of folks are getting woke (for real, not the fake Twitter cult version) to how things can go wrong in a very short span of time. Folks are realizing their precious Big Brother government is not going to be able to protect them from it. I expect in the wake of this situation there will be even bigger surges of nationalism, populism, and anti-government sentiments.

Well I'm not sure about the last part. I don't expect people to take to the streets (lol) in opposition, but they should at least be aware it is going on. The only way to make people aware is to discuss it.

Thankfully, a lot of folks are getting woke (for real, not the fake Twitter cult version) to how things can go wrong in a very short span of time. Folks are realizing their precious Big Brother government is not going to be able to protect them from it. I expect in the wake of this situation there will be even bigger surges of nationalism, populism, and anti-government sentiments.

Only time will tell.

Nymphae

Banned
e18.jpg

Coronavirus cases top 10,000 in the US
From CNN's Amanda Watts

There are at least 10,259 cases of the novel coronavirus in the United States, according to state and local health agencies, governments and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

According to the CDC there are 70 cases from repatriated citizens. According to CNN Health’s tally of US cases that are detected and tested in the United States through public health systems, there are 10,189 cases in all 50 states, Washington, DC, and other US territories, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases to 10,259.
In total, 152 people have died.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Economist says if everyone stays home for 6 months, it's like a "Great Depression"
Former Trump administration economist Kevin Hassett says the April jobs report will be “the worst jobs number you ever saw.”
In an interview with CNN’s Poppy Harlow on Thursday, Hassett said that if everyone stays home for six months, “it is like a Great Depression.”

Economists, the soft science that researches how to endure that the wealthy stay wealthy. Depressions occur when demand dries up, there will be massive demand once quarintines end. It is on the government now to keep the pump primed.

Economists, the soft science that researches how to endure that the wealthy stay wealthy. Depressions occur when demand dries up, there will be massive demand once quarintines end. It is on the government now to keep the pump primed.

Demand for housing construction in particular is extremely high and only hindered by the quarantine. I think housing is a good indicator of the economy as a whole (if the middle class feels comfortable spending tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars then everything else is sound), so as long as that is able to recover everything else should recover in waves.

I'll take a guess that it's an island nation, and probably a lot less travel to and from China in low numbers as a start. But I'd add in their cultural cleanliness is probably a big factor. When I went to Japan the first thing I noticed was how damn clean everything was, I could not even find gum walked into the footpaths it was that clean.

especially since they have the oldest population in the world, older than Italy. They should be Italy x 10.

Japanese people are almost instinctually mysophobic and conscientious. They will self quarantine as necessary and wash and clean whenever they feel they are contaminated.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

So many people acting like nothing’s going on, like the economy isn’t going to be epically fucked so we can all barely afford a clapped out Spectrum.

That went wrong. Wanted to link to the Facebook posts so you could see comments ffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

cryptoadam

Banned

I agree about SK and Taiwan (and Hong Kong).

But with Japan, and how old the population is, they should be Italy levels. Even if they didn't test anyone why don't they have 100's dying of pnemonia and 1000's collapsing their hospital system?

You can hide cases and test no one, but you can't say you aren't tested so don't die. And I highly doubt JAPAN is covering up 100's of deaths or mislabeling everyone who is dying to hide the numbers. Even F'n Iran has to report 100+ dead a day. We would basically be saying Japan is North Korea level of lies.

But with Japan, and how old the population is, they should be Italy levels. Even if they didn't test anyone why don't they have 100's dying of pnemonia and 1000's collapsing their hospital system?

You can hide cases and test no one, but you can't say you aren't tested so don't die. And I highly doubt JAPAN is covering up 100's of deaths or mislabeling everyone who is dying to hide the numbers. Even F'n Iran has to report 100+ dead a day. We would basically be saying Japan is North Korea level of lies.

You won't see Japanese people who know they might be infected going around the elderly or other people.

To paraphrase a certain show, Japanese doors don't have locks because they have enough courtesy not to barge in. They self regulate much better than any other culture I have ever seen.

Has this been posted?

"Recent guidelines from South Korea and China report that chloroquine is an effective antiviral therapeutic treatment against Coronavirus Disease 2019. Use of chloroquine (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay. US CDC research shows that chloroquine also has strong potential as a prophylactic (preventative) measure against coronavirus in the lab, while we wait for a vaccine to be developed. Chloroquine is an inexpensive, globally available drug that has been in widespread human use since 1945 against malaria, autoimmune and various other conditions." (In consultation with Stanford University School of Medicine, UAB School of Medicine and National Academy of Sciences researchers)

Its been passed around here in one form or another over the last week or so. I'm curious whether Italy is attempting to use this at all. You would think they would be open to whatever experimental therapies they could come up with at this point.

Jesus Christ, that's unfathomably terrible.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, people who were infected and either recovered or died are immune to it now so they cant be nodes for spreading it. The less potential carriers, the harder it is to spread. Also China disinfected streets, money, buildings indoors and probably a ton more. The authoritarian nature of the country actually benefits it in a scenario like this because they throw human rights to the wind and force isolation, physically remove people they might think are infected, etc. This makes it harder for it to spread.

Yeah, it makes sense that it would be somewhat harder to spread with some people now supposedly immune to it. I don't see how the disinfecting does not much for a new outbreak, though. It only took a few people in Wuhan back in December to get this shit started, so if there are still a few people in the country with the disease, it seems like it could happen all over again, especially in a country of nearly 1.4 billion, not even accounting for foreign travel.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

And yet in Japan, they've got only 32 deaths and they've basically only shut down schools (some have even started back up) and are encouraging working from home, but have otherwise kept society going. They're taking the "let it blow over" approach and only testing those who have serious conditions and it seems to be working quite well for them at least. Might be a super unique situation, though.

Sakura

I wonder. Been seeing a lot of ambulances lately...

My boss told me I will probably start teleworking today. She's waiting for permission to tell me to leave. I don't have anything to work on so I'm just sitting at my desk. I'm basically too new at my job to take a bunch of work home with me. She basically said. "Yeah, I have no idea what you are going to do at home."

I wonder how long this could last.

cryptoadam

Banned
Has this been posted?

I have seen this around. Lots of places are using various cocktails of drugs to treat it. I mean in Italy 17 people under 50 died, so the rest must of somehow been "cured" of the virus. So clearly there are drugs that work but I am sure it comes down a lot to age/condition. Older and more sick (heart diseas, diabetes, etc...) you are the less effective drugs are.

At least in the US I think the plan all along has been to slow this as much as possible to keep panic down and hospitals open while a cocktail of drugs is created so that 70-99% of people with Wuhan Flu can recover (with age/sick being less likely).

But since I have been using World War Z as my guideline, we have to keep in mind any fake cures or companies trying to make a quick buck. So I would be weary of any "cures" for now. Its good hope but there are assholes out there who will try and make a quick buck on the suffering of others. And there are governments that want to look like hero's.

I have seen this around. Lots of places are using various cocktails of drugs to treat it. I mean in Italy 17 people under 50 died, so the rest must of somehow been "cured" of the virus. So clearly there are drugs that work but I am sure it comes down a lot to age/condition. Older and more sick (heart diseas, diabetes, etc...) you are the less effective drugs are.

At least in the US I think the plan all along has been to slow this as much as possible to keep panic down and hospitals open while a cocktail of drugs is created so that 70-99% of people with Wuhan Flu can recover (with age/sick being less likely).

But since I have been using World War Z as my guideline, we have to keep in mind any fake cures or companies trying to make a quick buck. So I would be weary of any "cures" for now. Its good hope but there are assholes out there who will try and make a quick buck on the suffering of others. And there are governments that want to look like hero's.
The concern over fake cures is precisely why people are defaulting to time-honored, scientifically-vetted methods of improving immune system health. We're not going full-blown crystal healing.... yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom