• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakura

I'll take a guess that it's an island nation, and probably a lot less travel to and from China in low numbers as a start. But I'd add in their cultural cleanliness is probably a big factor. When I went to Japan the first thing I noticed was how damn clean everything was, I could not even find gum walked into the footpaths it was that clean.
LOTS of people come from China to Japan. Tons of Chinese foreign students too. I don't think Japan is as clean as you think it is, maybe downtown Tokyo, but not everywhere. (I dunno maybe western countries are way worse still)
There are also huge population densities in places like Tokyo, just jam packed into trains like sardines. Also because of the work culture it isn't as easy to take sick days and such. It's a miracle it hasn't really taken off.

nush

Gold Member
Australia has just banned all non residents from entering the country
giphy.gif

SushiReese

Interesting chart.
Japan did not conduct enough tests. Holing 2020 Tokyo Olympics became the top priority of Abe's government.

I think Taiwan, South Korea, Hongkong and Singapore are the most successful Asia regions/countries if you look into. South Korea and United States recorded the first confirmed patient at the same date.

That article about Son is insane. If the populace wants to bury their heads in the sand, let'em--and other countries, in turn, can tell those coming from Japan to go back to where they came from.

Considering the scene in an average Japanese metro car looks like this:
japan-rush-hour-commute.jpg

I wouldn't be extremely surprised if the number of infected is a LOT higher than what is being reported.

If Abe is really bent on hiding numbers for the sake of the Olympics, does anybody think that all the athletes and spectators would actually all attend? I get the rationale, but I don't think it's a smart answer to the situation.

Last edited:
Evenings here on the West coast are so slow news wise. It always has me going to bed thinking things are on the up and up.. and then wake up to most of Europe's numbers and then once works starts we get Italy and then all the bad US news comes out during the day and everything is shit again.. but by the evenings.. no more bad news for a bit..

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've been ordering supplies from amazon so I don't have to go out and I open the boxes with latex gloves and then wash my hands thoroughly after touching whatever was inside. A friend told me that was being a little bit OCD with the precautions, but I'm not taking any risks and this story justifies my practices.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
40Kg? Do you have any idea how long it would take to use all that up?

It’s a cash and carry - you can’t have a smaller bag but yeah that would last a good while - key thing is it deals with any food supply outages without straining supermarkets. I’d say my offer is generous but sadly not accepted. As it is I’m now looking to see if any local groups supporting the elderly would like me to make a donation.

VertigoOA

Banned
The virus came from China. It’s a Chinese virus. China lied and silenced those willing to talk about it.

Its a Chinese virus.

if that offends you... good. Reality isn’t non-offensive... especially when you’re a fucking limp-wristed cuckold bitch for the communist Chinese that brought plague to the world.

fuck outta here with that pussy shit

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Girlfriend lost her (events) job today. Company slashed in half. Decent redundancy package compared to some others but it's still really shitty. She has no idea what she's gonna do for a while now.

Thank god IT is largely unaffected and I can pay the bills solo for a while.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Girlfriend lost her (events) job today. Company slashed in half. Decent redundancy package compared to some others but it's still really shitty. She has no idea what she's gonna do for a while now.

Thank god IT is largely unaffected and I can pay the bills solo for a while.

one of my friends still on the hotel business says their occupancy is about 9% and they just laid off about half of their event sales and operations teams. Sad stuff

Lanrutcon

one of my friends still on the hotel business says their occupancy is about 9% and they just laid off about half of their event sales and operations teams. Sad stuff

That's nothing.

My D&D game got cancelled.

This is bullshit.

Super crappyto lose your job over this mess. The tourism industry is probably shitting itself in all aspects.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
No questions asked for testing at Jones beach in ny.

my cousin went last night as a student had it in his school. Said it was no questions asked and just drove to the beach and got it done. They take your id and phone number down and then the sample. 3 days for results

this city has gone insane. More thugs and homeless roaming freely than ever. Going to work feels hopeless. Hell even traffic went nuts this morning even tho we’re supposed to be at 50% workforce reduction now. Ummm what?

Last edited:

Makariel

How many millions of lives do you want to ruin for a couple of thousand dead?

Do you want to alter the entire structure of society that badly?
Are you answering every question with a question?

It's not going to be a couple of thousands dead. It's going to be millions. So you could rephrase your question: how many millions would you let die for your right to go to the theater whenever you want?

And to your assumption I would like to enforce martial law and take away your gun or something: I don't want to alter the structure of society. I want a vaccine to be developed ASAP. But I'm aware that might take more than a year.

Let's see.... as a society? How about everything fun or enlightening.

Movies
Theater
Arts
Sports
School
Social Gatherings
Dating
Working
Jobs

Shall I go on? These are the things I've thought of off the top of my head.

Buzz words like social distancing and self isolation are covering this up for most people.

I've been trying to think to myself, what am I going to miss from all of this, and I can't think of anything specific, I'm not going anywhere soon anyway is what I mean.

But then I remembered, no groups allowed. I used to attend Buddhist classes in the UK. I would love to attend them now too if they were in my country. Now they're banned anyway. That's fucked up. We should not do this. Keep calm and carry on should be the way forward, or all worthy human endeavours will be compromised. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but still.

How many theater productions would you have went to in the next two weeks then? I asked you specifically, not in broad terms.

Well none, because they're cancelled. If they weren't cancelled, people would go to see them. It doesn't matter that a Gaffer didn't see Shakespeare this week; It matters that there is no Shakespeare this week.

Fortunately I can survive at home with my Beethoven and Game Pass, but most NPCs are gonna go bonkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom