• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today so far

7JXya27.png

EU dubblin' down on the scare mongering. Why even publish the bastard's dumb suggestions. Let him speak and no one listen. Gonna run 4K on my 1080p monitor and download all the Game Pass games. Although I must say, Rocket League's player count last night was double what it usually was. Courtesy of the UK's communist newsfeed:

"The European Union’s industry chief has called on Netflix and other streaming services to take action to reduce congestion on the internet, amid surging demand as millions of people confined to their homes go online.

Thierry Breton, the European commissioner for industry, told Netflix chief executive Reed Hastings that he and other operators should take responsibility for preventing internet congestion by switching to standard definition rather than high definition.

In a statement released after the discussion, Breton said:

Streaming platforms, telecom operators and users, we all have a joint responsibility to take steps to ensure the smooth functioning of the internet during the battle against the virus propagation.

The commission would also like internet users to reduce their data consumption, by using Wi-FI or choosing lower resolution for content."

Last edited:
Have I missed something here, or do they not know how wi-fi works?

"Dang this Xbox update is 30 gigs."

"No worries, bruv. Just switch over to wi-fi".

I was wondering that too. I assume he means mobile data. Either that, or he'll come out on stage with the Internet box, ala The I.T. crowd, and declare it needs protecting.

Also I want to add, that I'm not actually gonna stream 4K on my 1080p monitor, because then my wife wouldn't be able to watch Netflix on her iPad, and I'm tellin' you, that would be worse for me than catching a flu or something.

Also, disclaimer, I'm not a cunt. I won't be downloading Game Pass all night. It was just a joke.

Last edited:

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Probably the biggest bungle of this corona episode is the lack of any official recommendation for everyone to start slamming vitamin d3. Vitamin D produces antimicrobial proteins, particularly in the respiratory tract, and the lack of those proteins is a big part of why flu and cold flourishes during the winter months when our bodies aren't getting D3 from the sun. The science is already settled on D3's ability to help fight respiratory ailments, so why is there no official guidance on this? While it doesn't prevent infection, it does help immensely with duration and severity.

I can vouch for this as I started supplementing last September and caught a flu from my wife (who doesn't supplement). She was knocked on her ass for a week, somewhat sick for another week, while I got off with only two days of a light cough. As for which supplements work, I can only vouch for Kirkland Signature (from Costco) vitamin D3 2000 i/u. But that stuff definitely works. Before supplementing, my nanograms/milliliter was at 32--bottom of the suggested healthy range of 30-100. That was all naturally derived from sunlight. 4 months (October-January when there isn't enough U/V in the sunlight to convert to D3) of taking 14,000 units of D/day got my level up to 123 nanograms/milliliter (which is too high). So don't take that much. I'm now down to 6,000 units a day (which is 3 pills, about 30 cents worth IIRC). I'd recommend staying in the 4000-6000 range. A lot of lunatics online are suggesting super doses, but an overabundance of D can seriously fuck you up.

nush

Gold Member
Probably the biggest bungle of this corona episode is the lack of any official recommendation for everyone to start slamming vitamin d3. Vitamin D produces antimicrobial proteins, particularly in the respiratory tract, and the lack of those proteins is a big part of why flu and cold flourishes during the winter months when our bodies aren't getting D3 from the sun. The science is already settled on D3's ability to help fight respiratory ailments, so why is there no official guidance on this? While it doesn't prevent infection, it does help immensely with duration and severity.

I can vouch for this as I started supplementing last September and caught a flu from my wife (who doesn't supplement). She was knocked on her ass for a week, somewhat sick for another week, while I got off with only two days of a light cough. As for which supplements work, I can only vouch for Kirkland Signature (from Costco) vitamin D3 2000 i/u. But that stuff definitely works. Before supplementing, my nanograms/milliliter was at 32--bottom of the suggested healthy range of 30-100. That was all naturally derived from sunlight. 4 months (October-January when there isn't enough U/V in the sunlight to convert to D3) of taking 14,000 units of D/day got my level up to 123 nanograms/milliliter (which is too high). So don't take that much. I'm now down to 6,000 units a day (which is 3 pills, about 30 cents worth IIRC). I'd recommend staying in the 4000-6000 range. A lot of lunatics online are suggesting super doses, but an overabundance of D can seriously fuck you up.
I'd like to offer my services to any hot European woman in need of a D injection. Totally free of charge service.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Good to hear. I started taking THE D 2 months ago. 2 or 3 x2000 units per day

1 Iranian dies from coronavirus every 10 minutes, health ministry says
Iranian Health Ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said in a tweet today that every 10 minutes, one Iranian is killed by the coronavirus.
Every hour, at least 50 Iranian are infected.

Iran’s Health Ministry confirmed 149 new deaths from coronavirus in the past 24 hours, raising the overall death toll to 1,284 on Thursday.

This is the country's highest spike in death toll over a 24-hour period since the coronavirus outbreak began.

There were additional 1,046 confirmed cases of coronavirus bringing the total to 18,407, Iran’s Deputy Health Minister Alireza Raisi said.

Are you answering every question with a question?

It's not going to be a couple of thousands dead. It's going to be millions. So you could rephrase your question: how many millions would you let die for your right to go to the theater whenever you want?

And to your assumption I would like to enforce martial law and take away your gun or something: I don't want to alter the structure of society. I want a vaccine to be developed ASAP. But I'm aware that might take more than a year.

Society has already been restructured, are you that obtuse?

How many rights do you think should be taken away?

I'm still perplexed how it's working in China. I mean, I get that the official numbers are way lower, but they are basically letting people move around freely now, with no more quarantine even in Wuhan?

Why would the spread not just start right up again?
Well, people who were infected and either recovered or died are immune to it now so they cant be nodes for spreading it. The less potential carriers, the harder it is to spread. Also China disinfected streets, money, buildings indoors and probably a ton more. The authoritarian nature of the country actually benefits it in a scenario like this because they throw human rights to the wind and force isolation, physically remove people they might think are infected, etc. This makes it harder for it to spread.

Last edited:
CDC loosens guidelines to allow medical experts exposed to COVID-19 to keep working

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has loosened its guidelines to allow health care workers who have been exposed to COVID-19 to continue working as long as they wear a mask, according to CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta.
"This is a huge concern, John, because this is how you potentially increase the spread, at least not slow down the spread," Gupta said to CNN's John Berman this morning.
Within the guidelines, the CDC says bandanas and scarves could be used in place of a mask, Gupta said. The reason for these guidelines is due to a lack of personal protective equipment and not enough health care workers, Gupta said.

whoa big step for them

Last edited:
Society has already been restructured, are you that obtuse?

How many rights do you think should be taken away?
It's a fair question. People should be aware of what governments are trying to pull during the dilemma (one example):

To me it seems kind of.... paper-thin to wring hands and worry about coronavirus yet not be worried about authoritarian governments taking this opportunity to seize more power.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's official now. We'll enter healthcare collapse at some point in the next week. Once that happens, you can't get medical attention anymore. Today they begin to conscript physicians who retired in the last 2 years and students on their last year of college as a desperate measure to delay the collapse.

Last edited:
It's official now. We'll enter healthcare collapse at some point in the next week. Once that happens, you can't get medical attention anymore. Today they begin to conscript physicians who retired in the last 2 years and students on their last year of college as a desperate measure to avoid the collapse.
Would've been nice if China and the media took this seriously in November/December.

Say goodbye to the old global order. The sun has set on China as a superpower.

Economist says if everyone stays home for 6 months, it's like a "Great Depression"
Former Trump administration economist Kevin Hassett says the April jobs report will be “the worst jobs number you ever saw.”
In an interview with CNN’s Poppy Harlow on Thursday, Hassett said that if everyone stays home for six months, “it is like a Great Depression.”

It's a fair question. People should be aware of what governments are trying to pull during the dilemma (one example):

To me it seems kind of.... paper-thin to wring hands and worry about coronavirus yet not be worried about authoritarian governments taking this opportunity to seize more power.
Sorry man, Coronavirus is the main concern right now.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Economist says if everyone stays home for 6 months, it's like a "Great Depression"
Former Trump administration economist Kevin Hassett says the April jobs report will be “the worst jobs number you ever saw.”
In an interview with CNN’s Poppy Harlow on Thursday, Hassett said that if everyone stays home for six months, “it is like a Great Depression.”
But it will be like a party online

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Would've been nice if China and the media took this seriously in November/December.

Unfortunately the barbaric chinese regime was more worried about saving face than being effective.

I mean fuck after sars stopped being news they lifed the restrictions on consuming wild animals and that led us to the coronavirus crisis. And now that the bat soup made the rounds in the news, they implemented the restrictions again. You bet your ass those chinese clowns will be lifting the restrictions once again once the coronavirus is no longer news.

Unfortunately the barbaric chinese regime was more worried about saving face than being effective.

I mean fuck after sars stopped being news they lifed the restrictions on consuming wild animals and that led us to the coronavirus crisis. And now that the bat soup made the rounds in the news, they implemented the restrictions again. You bet your ass those chinese clowns will be lifting the restrictions once again once the coronavirus is no longer news.

Yeah, they're trash culture. Trump is the same with how he handled this initially.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's official now. We'll enter healthcare collapse at some point in the next week. Once that happens, you can't get medical attention anymore. Today they begin to conscript physicians who retired in the last 2 years and students on their last year of college as a desperate measure to delay the collapse.

Which country?

Sorry man, Coronavirus is the main concern right now.
Don't assume people are only able to exert concern for one topic at a time.

It is possible -- and I'd like you to take a deep breath before continuing -- to be simultaneously concerned about the virus, concerned about misinformation concerning the virus, and concerned about how governments might use this as an opportunity to seize power and cause long-term oppression within their borders.

The bigger question is whether the chinese citizens will finally stand up for themselves. When it comes to the world economy, they're screwed either way. So will they hold their gov't responsible or will they toe the party line?

Pidull

Part of me wonders if this is all just security theater at this point. Basically, they know a good portion of the population will just... die. But, people won't completely flip shit if it's a slow burn, rather than all at once. Also, a slow burn allows the police and military to take control of the few that rebel, whereas the other scenario they'll be completely overwhelmed.

Yup, probably.

Don't assume people are only able to exert concern for one topic at a time.

It is possible -- and I'd like you to take a deep breath before continuing -- to be simultaneously concerned about the virus, concerned about misinformation concerning the virus, and concerned about how governments might use this as an opportunity to seize power and cause long-term oppression within their borders.

The bigger question is whether the chinese citizens will finally stand up for themselves. When it comes to the world economy, they're screwed either way. So will they hold their gov't responsible or will they toe the party line?

Yes, I understand. The typical American is more concerned with remedying the situation we are in at any expense that doesn't directly impact them or their surroundings. Sorry man, it's how people operate. No different than the Patriot Act.

Yes, I understand. The typical American is more concerned with remedying the situation we are in at any expense that doesn't directly impact them or their surroundings. Sorry man, it's how people operate. No different than the Patriot Act.
Patriot Act was an abuse, which is why it is sensible to bring up the risk of it happening again in the current coronavirus situation. I think you and I are saying the same thing but with different words.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Country is Spain, region is Catalonia (think Barcelona). I make that distinction because covid patients aren't being offloaded too far from point of origen to avoid contagions.

Shit. I have a friend in Spain - that's not good at all for him :(

Patriot Act was an abuse, which is why it is sensible to bring up the risk of it happening again in the current coronavirus situation. I think you and I are saying the same thing but with different words.

I agree with you, it's clearly an opportunity to take away certain rights from citizens. However, it's not going to happen. You'll just be yelling into the void and personally, I'd rather save my voice.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Never going to happen. And with the social credit they can fuck up people's lives without getting their hands dirty. You seen what happened to Xu Xiaodong? Regime is brutal as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom