• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive fight at Florida Chuck E. Cheese’s caught on video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...da-chuck-e-cheeses-caught-on-video/?tid=sm_fb

Chuck E. Cheese’s is supposed to be a place “where a kid can be a kid.”

But the family-friendly chain might want to add an important disclaimer: Kids can’t be kids when adults are racking up assault charges.

It may sound absurd, but that’s exactly what has been happening in recent years amid a wave of violent fights between adults at Chuck E. Cheese’s in cities across the country.

Many of those fights — like the latest example in Miami on Saturday — have been captured by smartphones.

Krystel Jimenez, a 16-year-old who filmed the 10-minute melee at the Kendall Village Center franchise, told the Miami Herald that the fight started “because one person was looking at them and instigating a problem then they went up to them and their families got involved.”

Her 28-second video clip shows a violent throng of screaming parents throwing punches and pulling hair as small children scramble for safety.

Jimenez said she witnessed injuries, but no one was arrested. The franchise has a two-drink limit, but she noted that the violence may have been fueled by alcohol.

Phone calls to the Miami location were not immediately returned. Requests for comment from the company’s headquarters also were not immediately answered.

The Miami brawl was preceded by a massive fight at a Chuck E. Cheese’s just outside Pittsburgh in March that began with an argument between the parents of a 1-year-old and grew to include as many as 50 people, according to CBS affiliate KDKA.

A month earlier in Manchester, Conn., another fight broke out that spoiled five children’s birthday parties and resulted in a 1-year-old being knocked down, a 4-year-old being bruised and a senior citizen experiencing a panic attack, police told the New York Daily News.

In December, three people were arrested and charged after starting a fight that was captured on camera at a Louisiana Chuck E. Cheese’s, according to CBS affiliate KSLA.

Nearly a year earlier, surveillance footage captured another brawl at a Cleveland-area suburb that began when customers attacked six employees, resulting in one teenage employee being knocked unconscious, according to NBC affiliate WPXI.

There also have been fights at franchise locations in Long Island, Florida, California, Alabama, Texas and Wisconsin, where Milwaukee police received four calls about fighting in one day, according to an investigation by NBC affiliate WTMJ.

Video of the brawl at the link
**warning: vertical video**

Jeremy

What is it about Chuck E. Cheese that makes people lose their shit? I've seen some incredibly bizarre things at Chuck E. Cheese.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
When they started selling beer there, I figured that was a bad move. It's a place for kids to have fun, why do you need to drink?

Kinyou

In many cases, a 2012 ABC News investigation found, alcohol is involved when fights break out at the franchise, which has been around since 1977. But not all locations serve alcohol, and beer and wine alone don’t explain the rash of violence plaguing Chuck E. Cheese’s locations, experts said
Aren't these restaurants meant for kids? I'm surprised that even any location serves alcohol.

Volimar

ud2ItGr.gif

Slacker

Looks like the battle at the begging of Revenge of the Sith. No idea who's fighting who.

Absolutely no reason to serve alcohol at Chuck E Cheese.

Viewt

Hah, this is right around where I grew up. Not surprised. I remember going there once for my niece's birthday and people were getting fucked up. The "two drink maximum" is utter horseshit. The guy serving drinks behind the counter looked high as a motherfucker and wasn't even checking IDs.

You can blame this on Florida, but I honestly believe this is just a Chuck E. Cheese thing. When you give desperate parents a place where they can ignore their kids for a while, and beer is available, you're asking for trouble.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I wonder if drunken brawls are going to start breaking out at Barnes & Nobles across the country because they're going to be selling wine and liquor soon.

Futureman

Aren't these restaurants meant for kids? I'm surprised that even any location serves alcohol.

They probably saw their revenue dropping and latched onto alcohol as a way to spur people coming in and increasing sales.

I wonder which Pittsburgh location the fight happened. There's one like 10 minutes from my house.

This is amazing.
How is Chuck E. Cheese still a thing?
I swear you just find poop smeared in the jungle gym and ball pits.

Viewt

This is amazing.
How is Chuck E. Cheese still a thing?
I swear you just find poop smeared in the jungle gym and ball pits.

No joke, I would rather take a punch to the face than fully submerge myself in a Chuck E. Cheese ball pit. Like, it's not even close.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
They probably saw their revenue dropping and latched onto alcohol as a way to spur people coming in and increasing sales.

I wonder which Pittsburgh location the fight happened. There's one like 10 minutes from my house.

Yeah, that was probably the idea. But you had to know some drunken brawls were going to happen.

I wonder if drunken brawls are going to start breaking out at Barnes & Nobles across the country because they're going to be selling wine and liquor soon.

LOL, I doubt it. There is nothing at Barnes & Noble for people to get as emotionally charged about as your own kid. Emotions+alcohol = bad news.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
LOL, I doubt it. There is nothing at Barnes & Noble for people to get as emotionally charged about as your own kid. Emotions+alcohol = bad news.

You say that now but shit got heated at some of those Harry Potter book releases. Now just imagine people lining up for the release of The Winds of Winter and somebody starts dropping show spoilers for book only readers. Mix in some booze and I can see a crowd of people slapping the shit out of each other with thousand page books. Just imagine that Jason Bourne fight where he beats the dude with a book but on a larger drunken scale.

so are the animatronics creepy to me because i am aware of FNAF or are they just creepy

because there is something very unsettling about them.

bionic77

Well today I learned:
1. They serve alcohol at Chuck E Cheese's
2. Chuck E Cheese's is still relevant.
I don't know if it is relevant.

The two I have been to are kind of depressing and have like 3 people trying to run the whole thing.

Village

Was one of the guys getting beat up wearing purple
There may have been a hero trying to solve a problem preemptively

jax

Banned
Wait this has happened multiple times st multiple chuck cheeses? What the hell is wrong with people?

I mean, that's normal Florida behavior I'd expect but it's happening everywhere.

mackattk

"MY kid was here first and he deserves to play that game" "What?! NO FUCK YOU!?!" Brawl insues.

This is like a widespread shitty parents at a baseball game episode.

People are fucking crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom