• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella (NPD) - Helldivers 2 is a huge hit, but it’s mostly coming from PC. (Update: tweets deleted, no evidence provided)

Dr_Ifto

His basis for this statement is flawed. Booting up steam and going to HD2, and booting up a PS5 and going to HD2. 2 different experiences, and whatnot. Steam numbers are also global while he would only have numbers for US PS5.

jm89

Even that is him dodging the question.

Not shit he works for a market research firm that does market research. Thanks for letting us know mat.

Although to be fair, circana are becoming more reluctant to give out more data as the years go on. So it's probably just not on him.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pretty sure the devs themselves said that there was a cap of 450K users on the servers. With Steam CCUs hitting 400k its pretty obvious thats where the engagement mostly comes from.

Last edited:

Three

Splits can be different between different regions. Playstation is very strong in non-US countries so it's likely that the ww split would be different.

I'd expect the split to skew in Steam's favor tho due to no Paid Online
The US is more console and less PC. Mat is trying to play stupid games with how he's done his stats. Splits wise PS is likely leading but % wise of DAU on that specific system he's claiming it's higher and he's now deleted the post.

Edit: An example would explain it better. 5 steam users go online in the US for the day, 1 person plays HD2. Steam DAU percentage is 20%.

20 people go on PSN in the US, 2 of them play HD2, that's a lower 10% DAU percentage even if the split is higher.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Pretty sure the devs themselves said that there was a cap of 450K users on the servers. With Steam CCUs hitting 400k its pretty obvious thats where the engagement mostly comes from.
Yup. I think the CEO is trying to be pretty even handed when it comes to dealing with Sony PR so he won't outright say it... but there is no doubt Steam is carrying a main load of players here.

Astray

Gold Member
The US is more console and less PC. Mat is trying to play stupid games with how he's done his stats. Splits wise PS is likely leading but % wise of DAU on that specific system he's claiming it's higher and he's now deleted the post.
He always does this shit when he drops puzzles on people, watches them scramble to figure things out then delete the tweet.

Very annoying and punchable person.

panda-zebra

Doesn't really matter when most of the Steam "players" were sat looking at a login message while console players were in-game (j/k).

I mean you have to assume Circana has access to data the public doesn’t
It's their own survey, a panel of users. AFAIR they've never publicly disclosed specifics like sample size, how they formed and manage the panel, the samples they take and how often, the time segments that qualify, none of the specifics that would let us on the outside put a little context on what they offer. there's always questioning of it when it throws up something like this that feels a little weighted one way or another and people question the sample size etc. Subscribers have some info on this I'd assume otherwise the data would have too little context. It's just a tool to quickly assess things for people who care, not necessarily the public, but Mat likes the engagement on the twitters. TBH, the only people this really matter to would likely have direct access to all then numbers they'd ever need through their own internal and partner tools and wouldn't need a 3rd party like Circana, so maybe it's more for others in the industry to take a snapshot of their competition is performing in the US between platforms... which seems of limited use.

Personally I question the usefulness of this data full stop when it's put out via twitter to the public without context, comment or analysis. About the only use for those figures in that scenario is warz.

Gudji

lol.....Piscatella deleted the tweets
delete black and white GIF

panda-zebra

lol.....Piscatella deleted the tweets

Well that could be 2 things. He's done it in the past both when the tweets generated unhealthy "discussion" and when he fucked up. Don't think it's a fuckup scenario, just he probably generated the wrong kind of engagement. Getting into why did you block me spats doesn't do anything healthy for his brand (lol) or that of the company that employs him.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Doesn't really matter when most of the Steam "players" were sat looking at a login message while console players were in-game (j/k).

It's their own survey, a panel of users. AFAIR they've never publicly disclosed specifics like sample size, how they formed and manage the panel, the samples they take and how often, the time segments that qualify, none of the specifics that would let us on the outside put a little context on what they offer. there's always questioning of it when it throws up something like this that feels a little weighted one way or another and people question the sample size etc. Subscribers have some info on this I'd assume otherwise the data would have too little context. It's just a tool to quickly assess things for people who care, not necessarily the public, but Mat likes the engagement on the twitters. TBH, the only people this really matter to would likely have direct access to all then numbers they'd ever need through their own internal and partner tools and wouldn't need a 3rd party like Circana, so maybe it's more for others in the industry to take a snapshot of their competition is performing in the US between platforms... which seems of limited use.

Personally I question the usefulness of this data full stop when it's put out via twitter to the public without context, comment or analysis. About the only use for those figures in that scenario is warz.

So like the Nielsen cable ratings? Interesting. I wonder what the sample size is. It would have to be a whole lot to get any useful data.

Astray

Gold Member
No idea. Seems like they would have to get engagement data from Sony or Microsoft in any case.
Sounds to me like they do something similar to what Nielsen used to do with TV shows.. Take a representative sample and poll it using statistical methods to determine an estimate for the larger population within a certain confidence rate.

I deeply dislike Piscatella because he always drops shit like this with no real context or insight or even raw numbers for people to comprehend. Then he deletes the posts and acts like he's above the people who argue about the solutions to his puzzles.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yeah, this one was weird. They said they peaked at 360K CCU between Steam and Playstation, but then Steam had peaked at 300K so that would leave at most 100K for Playstation, but they also said that the sales were 50-50. Of course, there's always a chance Steam and Playstation peaked at completely different times but it's kind of hard to believe the numbers would be so uneven.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
His stats don't make any sense unless he is counting the moms that bought their kids all this shit.

I'm pretty sure he went in that thread saying it wasn't just buyers of the console (reasonable assertion) but literally the players. Then he got made when people were like "That doesn't make sense".

jm89

Yeah, this one was weird. They said they peaked at 360K CCU between Steam and Playstation, but then Steam had peaked at 300K so that would leave at most 100K for Playstation, but they also said that the sales were 50-50. Of course, there's always a chance Steam and Playstation peaked at completely different times but it's kind of hard to believe the numbers would be so uneven.
Isn't steam CCU just people who have the app open? A chunk of that could be users failing to actually get in.

50:50 might be actual ingame that i remember the ceo saying was their own ccu. But i'm not sure myself.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
That's useless numbers.
Yeah no it's not lol.

If the methodology of selecting this sample is correct and it's representative. And if the methodology of polling this sample is also correct then I see no reason to disbelieve this data point.

The real problem is we don't know all of the above so we can't really judge.

Interfectum

I'm pretty sure he went in that thread saying it wasn't just buyers of the console (reasonable assertion) but literally the players. Then he got made when people were like "That doesn't make sense".
Yeah it doesn't because if kids are playing they won't be counted because their mom would just sign them up with her CC and account.

Interfectum

Unless the server cap number is per platform, it's quite obvious the PC version is doing the biggest numbers. Don't need NPD douchebags to tell us that. I think the CEO of Arrowhead is being a little too loose with numbers which is why he pivoted back to "it's 50:50." Sony PR will definitely not want him speaking to sales or players per platform with any true authority.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah no it's not lol.

If the methodology of selecting this sample is correct and it's representative. And if the methodology of polling this sample is also correct then I see no reason to disbelieve this data point.

The real problem is we don't know all of the above so we can't really judge.
Samples can have a huge range error.

yazenov

according to the NPD Executive Director and analyst Mat Piscatella, it seems like Xbox Game Pass rather increases game sales:

"Still no sign that Game Pass cannibalizes sales volume. Still signs that Game Pass may increase sales volume due to networking effect."

Remember this gem by Mat? He is definitely pulling numbers from his ass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom