• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella (NPD) - Helldivers 2 is a huge hit, but it’s mostly coming from PC. (Update: tweets deleted, no evidence provided)

StueyDuck

Go away for a day on gaf and actually play helldivers 2 to come back to a crazy narrative change.

Originally this was the worst game ever made by so many users on here. Now there's a pc vs console war going on 🤣

Like who the fuck cares, Sony and the devs win either way here so what's the bickering all about.

The game is great, Go an play it where you own it and have fun. Who cares if there's more steam players. Considering steams install base vs Ps5 install base these numbers shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Last edited:

onQ123

Go away for a day on gaf and actually play helldivers 2 to come back to a crazy narrative change.

Originally this was the worst game ever made by so many users on here. Now there's a pc vs console war going on 🤣

Like who the fuck cares, Sony and the devs win either way here so what's the bickering all about.

The game is great, Go an play it where you own it and have fun. Who cares if there's more steam players. Considering steams install base vs Ps5 install base these numbers shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
Remember when Sega left the console biz & a group of resisters formed to blame Sony instead of Sega? Well yeah most of them moved on to become Xbox warriors & as Xbox sells became lower they found their way to PC so this is basically where we are now PC vs PlayStation somehow.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Remember when Sega left the console biz & a group of resisters formed to blame Sony instead of Sega? Well yeah most of them moved on to become Xbox warriors & as Xbox sells became lower they found their way to PC so this is basically where we are now PC vs PlayStation somehow.
That was over 20 years ago. I'd like to think most of those people are out of middle school now.

bender

What time is it?
That was over 20 years ago. I'd like to think most of those people are out of middle school now.
1*8lbYIyskelZRaw--9Dc2Mw.gif

Portugeezer

I don’t have any access to any kind of fancy data or metrics or some such…

But. Seems to me that helldivers is exactly the kind of game that would thrive on Steam. An online cooperative shooter, on a pc platform with a catastrophically larger audience of active users than PlayStation?

Yeah. It’s probably doing larger numbers on Steam. I can’t prove that. But I think it’s a reasonable assumption. Smart of Sony to launch it multiplatform. Not sure why some folks feel an instinctive need to get hyper defensive about it.
True, somehow hundreds of thousands bought The Day Before on Steam.

laynelane

I was recently watching a video from Asmongold. He spoke of feeling treated well by MS because they port all their games to PC Day one. That may be part of it for some people, as well.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Things don't work when using that stat. Steam tracker isn't the same as connecting to an active game on a server. You can be tracked as CCU on steam trying to get in a game but not be connected to and counting towards the game server cap.
No idea why, nope he was boasting about xbox only. Completely ignored steam for that one.
The CEO said CCU though, not people playing at once. Given the language used, I assume it uses the same methodology as Steam Charts.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Damn Sony ppl must be fuming if pc sold more than ps5
If I was a Sony gamer, I'd be fuming Arrowhead is prioritizing PC gamers online.

When Arrowhead tweeted they capped it at 450k server capacity, PC gamers CCU at that time doing a Steam DB check was something like 380k Steam users at the time. I even did a snapshot. Which means PS5 gamers were only 70k. I highly doubt PC sales are outselling PS5 5:1 where it would mean PC gamers have strength in numbers flooding the servers.

They even tweeted a week ago sales (or users) out of 1M at the time were about 50/50.

Last edited:

T-0800

If I was a Sony gamer, I'd be fuming Arrowhead is prioritizing PC gamers online.

When Arrowhead tweeted they capped it at 450k server capacity, PC gamers CCU at that time doing a Steam DB check was something like 380k Steam users at the time. I even did a snapshot. Which means PS5 gamers were only 70k. I highly doubt PC sales are outselling PS5 5:1 where it would mean PC gamers have strength in numbers flooding the servers.

They even tweeted a week ago sales (or users) out of 1M at the time were about 50/50.
Pretty sure it is 450 for PC and 450 for PS5.

Three

The CEO said CCU though, not people playing at once. Given the language used, I assume it uses the same methodology as Steam Charts.

Yes CCU means Concurrent users. The steam tracker CCU has nothing to do with server capacity. You can boot into single player games and are tracked in the steam CCU but haven't touched any game "server capacity" which can be 0. Steam tracker values and the Azure playfab server capacity are not the same thing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I definitely call cap on this, I know he's trying to push the "See Sony it's doing better on PC so release everything day and date" narrative. Dude should know better lol.

I too belive that's what he's doing.

Doesn't seem that surprising.
It's not some big historical Sony franchise and it seems like the type of game that usually thrives on PC.

Anyone who is upset about this is in an idiot. Ultimately if you care about the game you want it to have a big active community.

So why is it the number 1 played multiplayer game on PSN?

I don’t have any access to any kind of fancy data or metrics or some such…

But. Seems to me that helldivers is exactly the kind of game that would thrive on Steam. An online cooperative shooter, on a pc platform with a catastrophically larger audience of active users than PlayStation?

Yeah. It’s probably doing larger numbers on Steam. I can’t prove that. But I think it’s a reasonable assumption. Smart of Sony to launch it multiplatform. Not sure why some folks feel an instinctive need to get hyper defensive about it.

Because people want accurate information.

I've never seen so many operatives so desperate to try and promote how popular this game is on PC in the hope that it persuades Sony to release all their games day and date on PC.

It was always obvious that GaaS games should release day and date with PC, you need the streamers (who almost exclusively play on PC) to be playing it and a healthy player base benefits all that own the game. For single player games though, I'm not sure it makes quite as much sense. (yet)

It's mind boggling bro. It's a pure campaign to make PlayStation less playstation.

MacReady13

Is this guy using the xbox playbook- give us numbers of players and NOT sales numbers? We want to know how much this game has sold. That will give you a metric of success.

jm89

Steam DB uses steam to get the number of users and it's just the number of users who had it open.

450k capacity would be the number of users who can actually connect to a server. We have no idea what the split between how many users are actually connected between platforms, other then the CEOs comment that it was 50:50 a week ago.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
For single player games though, I'm not sure it makes quite as much sense. (yet)
Pfft… have you seen how well it did for the XSX|S consoles? You want all your games day and date available on other platforms and to train your most faithful user base not to buy games because that will actually make them spend more on games.

This has helped XSX|S to be the best selling Xbox consoles ever and for game sales to be healthy.

If you see a problem with their strategy it is actually not their strategy but an industry wide malaise that only the inventors of the strategy can fix by doubling down on it. If it seems to get worse, double down on it some more.

</s>

….

Top Bottom