• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella (NPD) - Helldivers 2 is a huge hit, but it’s mostly coming from PC. (Update: tweets deleted, no evidence provided)

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
We know from the insomniac leaks that only 9% of PS gamers are female lol.

The percentage is probably lower because 75% of the people dont even list their gender on their profile so these just from the 25% or so who do.
I hate that fucking false narrative. Like we can't all go outside or know people. I know only a handful of women who seriously play games whereas pretty much every male between 12 and 50 games. They're still trying to sell us that 50% of women play games like men. I can fucking guarantee that 50% of players in COD or Elden Ring are not women. They need to stop with this bullshit.

We know from the insomniac leaks that only 9% of PS gamers are female lol.

The percentage is probably lower because 75% of the people dont even list their gender on their profile so these just from the 25% or so who do.
Do you have a source for the insomnica leaks? That makes much more sense than 50%

I hate that fucking false narrative. Like we can't all go outside or know people. I know only a handful of women who seriously play games whereas pretty much every male between 12 and 50 games. They're still trying to sell us that 50% of women play games like men. I can fucking guarantee that 50% of players in COD or Elden Ring are not women. They need to stop with this bullshit.

Depends on the genre. I'd say there are more than 50% female gamers in life sims and games like Palia.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Depends on the genre. I'd say there are more than 50% female gamers in life sims and games like Palia.
Oh, absolutely. Social and puzzle games attract a lot more women than action games, but that buffoon Schreier is arguing otherwise.

Neofire

IMG-0053.jpg

I wonder if well ever get official platform splits

Edit- he deleted it

I definitely call cap on this, I know he's trying to push the "See Sony it's doing better on PC so release everything day and date" narrative. Dude should know better lol.

Schmendrick

Wouldn't surprise me. The game is available for as little as 25 bucks on PC and you don't need a subscription to play online. The fee of admission is simply much lower.

Klosshufvud

Steam currently has 33 million users online. Of which less than 300k are playing Helldivers. Whatever he smoked to come up with that number of 20% of active users is simply false. Matt's been on a consistent embarrassment streak since forever.

Steam currently has 33 million users online. Of which less than 300k are playing Helldivers. Whatever he smoked to come up with that number of 20% of active users is simply false. Matt's been on a consistent embarrassment streak since forever.

Those are global. It's just after noon on East Coast time in the US. Not sure how that matters on the global scale tho. I guess we can see in around 6 or 7 hours if even this is true in NA markets. Although, I'm sure what this will accomplish outside NA vs EU markets for steam or some shit. lol

Dynasty8

Yup and 25% of gamers are all gay according to GLADD. Forrrrrr sureeeee. I don't know what metrics they're using or not using for these stats, but it doesn't add up, sounded very "fixed". Nothing against any group or gender and the more gamers out there the better...but just be honest, base your survey properly instead of skewing the numbers to meet your desired outcome.

Is this thread just arguing about which platform has the most concurrent users? Who gives a fuck?

The arguing is stupid, but the information is interesting and definitely worth talking about. It's the first Playstation Studios game that's releasing day one for both a Sony console and PC. Helldivers 2 has proven that releasing simultaneously on PC has made this game a huge success.

Last edited:

GHG

Whoaaaa! Easy there console warrior! Really fighting your corner this morning eh? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

And FYI I play helldiver on PC, like I do my other Sony games so I don’t have to port beg for shit!…. Yeah…. You didn’t think about that part did you? 🤣

Now, take my nuts and my name out ya mouth, you beta male ass, muthafucka. Type how you talk in real life and turn it down a notch, ok? You are neither tough nor offensive in real life and you know that. Be nice, ok? It’s just games

I did try being nice, hence I suggested you stop doing whatever Phil tells you to do at any given point. But something tells me you're more than happy to be compliant, even if it means you making a fool of yourself in the process. One minute you're saying Xbox gamers have no need to port beg for anything, and then the next you're going around port begging for a game because he himself is doing so. Sad to see. You should try thinking for yourself.

And FYI, this is how I communicate. Sorry to disappoint, I won't be dragged down to your level.

Last edited:

GHG

So he's admitted their player engagement metrics can be prone to error, yet he's still asking people for money if they want to access it?

dog perform GIF

The fact that he's deleted the tweets and is unwilling to stand behind his statements tells me they need to do more work on their methodologies of collecting this data. There's no indication as to how big or small the sample sizes they are using are.

Last edited:

Three

Pretty sure the devs themselves said that there was a cap of 450K users on the servers. With Steam CCUs hitting 400k its pretty obvious thats where the engagement mostly comes from.
Yeah, this one was weird. They said they peaked at 360K CCU between Steam and Playstation, but then Steam had peaked at 300K so that would leave at most 100K for Playstation, but they also said that the sales were 50-50. Of course, there's always a chance Steam and Playstation peaked at completely different times but it's kind of hard to believe the numbers would be so uneven.

Things don't work when using that stat. Steam tracker isn't the same as connecting to an active game on a server. You can be tracked as CCU on steam trying to get in a game but not be connected to and counting towards the game server cap.
Why did he feel the need to say it's mostly PC? Did he point that out for Pal World & other games?
No idea why, nope he was boasting about xbox only. Completely ignored steam for that one

So he's admitted their player engagement metrics can be prone to error, yet he's still asking people for money if they want to access it?

dog perform GIF

The fact that he's deleted the tweets and is unwilling to stand behind his statements tells me they need to do more work on their methodologies of collecting this data. There's no indication as to how big or small the sample sizes they are using are.

Ya, that has to be a major error. There's almost no way that 1 in 4 active Steam users in the NA will be logged in to this. I'm happy to see this game doing well, but that seems extreme. That seems like some tribalist shilling to me.

Last edited:

GHG

Things don't work when using that stat. Steam tracker isn't the same as connecting to an active game on a server. You can be tracked as CCU on steam trying to get in a game but not be connected to and counting towards the game server cap.
No idea why, nope he was boasting about xbox only. Completely ignored steam for that one

Something tells me Sony are less than compliant when it comes to giving him the datasets he needs to create the insights and analysis they sell.

Astorian

I guess it depends on the game, I play FFXIV and there are actually a lot of women playing the game.

Something tells me Sony are less than compliant when it comes to giving him the datasets he needs to create the insights and analysis they sell.

So this assuming he's going by Steam Spy numbers which are also overinflated. It can't see 1/4 in the NA market even with the overinflated numbers.

Pretty sad when numbers have to be broken down when people are enjoying a game, but it's GAF.

GHG

So this assuming he's going by Steam Spy numbers which are also overinflated. It can't see 1/4 in the NA market even with the overinflated numbers.

Pretty sad when numbers have to be broken down when people are enjoying a game, but it's GAF.

I don't think there's much wrong with looking at the data and discussing it. But the data needs to be accurate in order to do that, and it clearly isn't here.

The developers and the SteamDB data are saying one thing, and he's saying another.

I am pretty sure that Switch stats and mobile stats for women are quite high. Console and PC wise it is hard to tell. There are female PC streamers after all + I think in asia a healthy chunk of games are women.

I am pretty sure that Switch stats and mobile stats for women are quite high. Console and PC wise it is hard to tell. There are female PC streamers after all + I think in asia a healthy chunk of games are women.

I'm only going by the genres that I play. I don't have a switch and I don't do mobile. Was just correcting what I saw as a misconception. Obviously, other genres are male-dominated. MMORPG's would be another genre that has a good bit of female players. Obviously, not 50% or more, but they depend on them as well.

tmlDan

Well that could be 2 things. He's done it in the past both when the tweets generated unhealthy "discussion" and when he fucked up. Don't think it's a fuckup scenario, just he probably generated the wrong kind of engagement. Getting into why did you block me spats doesn't do anything healthy for his brand (lol) or that of the company that employs him.
he definitely screwed up, that 450K number means people in the game and we don't know if that threshold increased. The CEO declared publicly that the numbers were 50/50, so now they're 90/10? that makes no sense when we got first hand info from the CEO.

I think Matt is a shitty analyst, a proper one would share in depth explanations on how info is gathered and how player engagement is calculated across platforms

panda-zebra

Is this thread just arguing about which platform has the most concurrent users? Who gives a fuck?
Don't think anyone's arguing over that in earnest for bragging rights or anything. It's more the thread title not matching the deleted tweet (Piscatella didn't offer data stating 1-in-4 US Steam accounts bought the game, it's the proportion of currently active players engaging with that game in a given time frame extrapolated from panel sample data - those would be two very different claims) and some wondering around how they come up with these figures. Also that these US numbers don't line up with a now outdated splits ratio mentioned a little while back by someone senior at the studio so it is sort of interesting but nothing anyone wanting to argue over could use to prove anything.
Damn Sony ppl must be fuming if pc sold more than ps5
What Sony ppl and why? There's nothing from Circana that relates to sales of the game on any platform in this thread, this is (questionable) engagement, see above.

FrankWza

Sony ppl are probably happy a game planned for release on PC is doing good lol
Right. If it wasn't doing well they'd be on how there's too many multiplayer games to make a dent and that's why Playstation needs to go day one on their single player games.
THIS is what they wanted and why they are putting gaas on PC. And they want the game so bad they are willing to allow kernel anticheat and wait through server issues to play.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Think I saw some post where Helldivers 2 had surpassed Fortnite on PSN. So could he have not tweeted that exact same message for Helldivers 2 on PlayStation only amending the number of minuts?

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I mean Steam has 120+ million accounts including ~60 million daily active, I highly doubt that it’s sold 10+ million on Steam…
Matt says US accounts - so quite a bit less than that.
To make it more messy - the same applies to PS - we only know their WW active userbase is around 120M - so relative comparisons are really hard here.

More importantly even if we knew the divide, that's still only relative popularity inside the US - not for HD as a whole.

GHG

Matt says US accounts - so quite a bit less than that.
To make it more messy - the same applies to PS - we only know their WW active userbase is around 120M - so relative comparisons are really hard here.

More importantly even if we knew the divide, that's still only relative popularity inside the US - not for HD as a whole.

Around 14% of the 120m active steam users are in the US:

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fb80cc0ee-179c-4e1b-b71d-cebcb25f5e05_901x551.png

Whereas for playstation the estimate is as follows:

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F19c32583-da25-427c-9936-490a4a99d557_901x551.png

However with the playstation data, that includes non-PS5 players, so that makes things more complicated in terms of extrapolating numbers from these percentages.

Based on what Mat is saying, he's suggesting sales of at least 4.2 million for Helldivers on Steam in the US alone. That doesn't seem plausible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom