• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella (NPD) - Helldivers 2 is a huge hit, but it’s mostly coming from PC. (Update: tweets deleted, no evidence provided)

RickMasters

I did try being nice, hence I suggested you stop doing whatever Phil tells you to do at any given point. But something tells me you're more than happy to be compliant, even if it means you making a fool of yourself in the process. One minute you're saying Xbox gamers have no need to port beg for anything, and then the next you're going around port begging for a game because he himself is doing so. Sad to see. You should try thinking for yourself.

And FYI, this is how I communicate. Sorry to disappoint, I won't be dragged down to your level.

See...when you start sentences with make beleive things like "
hence I suggested you stop doing whatever Phil tells you to do at any given point.

Its why I cant take you seriously...your living in your own head mate. thats a you problem not mine....I could sit hear and say you suck pussy through a mcdonalds straw....does it make it true? I dont know what you like like. I dont care either..I dont know you...I wouldnt assume anything....its a normal human thing to do. go touch grass man. nothing else to say to ya . this is the thing with a lot of you 'gamers' on here....got your heads so far up your asses you cant help but frame every comment you dont like through the lense of console wars all why trying to give of this faux intellect vibe, as if you are some vanguard of all that is common sense in the gaming world...its weird...chill.

"And FYI, this is how I communicate."

lol...thats CAP.... but I guess you can be whatever you want over the internet, eh?

" Sorry to disappoint, I won't be dragged down to your level."

Says the guy who calls people things like a 'cuck' over the internet over random exces neither of us know! lol are you being serious right now.....this is your level mate. And you know you dont talk like this in real life because you get punched in the face. dont tell me you walk around being a self absorbed smug cunt in real life because you love your playstation, now.....

One minute you're saying Xbox gamers have no need to port beg for anything, and then the next you're going around port begging for a game because he himself is doing so

How can I port beg for a game I already haveown though? And whats wrong with pointing out that GAAS games should be everywhere....jesus....you would think I was suggesting they put GT, ghosts of tsushima and uncharted on xbox they way you overreact....par for course for a closet fanboy though. just admit you bleed blue and keep it moving. its actually Ok with me, bruh..... Im only that protective over the dallas cowboys, akai drum machines, cubase and lexus. shove ya console wars up your ass! lol

GHG

See...when you start sentences with make beleive things like "

Its why I cant take you seriously...your living in your own head mate. thats a you problem not mine....I could sit hear and say you suck pussy through a mcdonalds straw....does it make it true? I dont know what you like like. I dont care either..I dont know you...I wouldnt assume anything....its a normal human thing to do. go touch grass man. nothing else to say to ya . this is the thing with a lot of you 'gamers' on here....got your heads so far up your asses you cant help but frame every comment you dont like through the lense of console wars all why trying to give of this faux intellect vibe, as if you are some vanguard of all that is common sense in the gaming world...its weird...chill.

"And FYI, this is how I communicate."

lol...thats CAP.... but I guess you can be whatever you want over the internet, eh?

" Sorry to disappoint, I won't be dragged down to your level."

Says the guy who calls people things like a 'cuck' over the internet over random exces neither of us know! lol are you being serious right now.....this is your level mate. And you know you dont talk like this in real life because you get punched in the face. dont tell me you walk around being a self absorbed smug cunt in real life because you love your playstation, now.....

How can I port beg for a game I already haveown though? And whats wrong with pointing out that GAAS games should be everywhere....jesus....you would think I was suggesting they put GT, ghosts of tsushima and uncharted on xbox they way you overreact....par for course for a closet fanboy though. just admit you bleed blue and keep it moving. its actually Ok with me, bruh..... Im only that protective over the dallas cowboys, akai drum machines, cubase and lexus. shove ya console wars up your ass! lol

c8eba6e9623025d66f589bcb2d81b2b68f9ee7cc4c0f96a3ef62a57ba622c504_1.jpg

FrankWza

same reason I haven’t picked it up, I’m very interested but would I have to actually voice chat? 😝 I haven’t really gotten into an online MP in like a decade now 🫣
It helps but if you play with random players 1 or 2 out of 10 voice chat. Its better with friends

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Based on what Mat is saying, he's suggesting sales of at least 4.2 million for Helldivers on Steam in the US alone. That doesn't seem plausible.
Yea that doesn't really compute - even less so knowing the CCU and server limitations so far.
I guess PS would give us something in the 1M ballpark (based off of install base, since active users exceed it), which would still be high for just the one region, but at least a bit more plausible.

Braag

I hate that fucking false narrative. Like we can't all go outside or know people. I know only a handful of women who seriously play games whereas pretty much every male between 12 and 50 games. They're still trying to sell us that 50% of women play games like men. I can fucking guarantee that 50% of players in COD or Elden Ring are not women. They need to stop with this bullshit.
When trying to make sense of these things you need to sometimes think things from the publishers perspective. Big corpos have 1 mission, to grow every year, that's what is required of them by the shareholders and that's their number 1 objective. Eventually you will hit diminishing returns as far as growth goes, that's when you need to expand your scope and start changing your strategy in order to keep growing year after year.

These big publishers know that they have the men gaming already, they don't need to try to get them to play games since most of them are doing that already. But the amount of girls playing is vastly smaller, so they see that as a way of expansion. So they start marketing stuff more towards them and revealing that girls playing games is actually far more common than anyone thinks. It's also why they try to market so hard towards LGBTQ, it's untapped market. It's all part of growth.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Around 14% of the 120m active steam users are in the US:

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fb80cc0ee-179c-4e1b-b71d-cebcb25f5e05_901x551.png

Whereas for playstation the estimate is as follows:

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F19c32583-da25-427c-9936-490a4a99d557_901x551.png

However with the playstation data, that includes non-PS5 players, so that makes things more complicated in terms of extrapolating numbers from these percentages.

Based on what Mat is saying, he's suggesting sales of at least 4.2 million for Helldivers on Steam in the US alone. That doesn't seem plausible.

These analysts you cite here GameDiscoverCo are also saying 65%-75% of copies were sold on Steam worldwide

We’ll never get real sales splits from Sony.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Astray

Gold Member
I think Matt is a shitty analyst, a proper one would share in depth explanations on how info is gathered and how player engagement is calculated across platforms
I dislike him, but it's not fair to say this when he's not actually sharing his analysis, just weird little teasers.

We're not his customers so obviously we don't get his work product for free.

Why the war over this? It’s a service game, Jesus. Be happy it’s selling wherever it sells, that means more people playing.

PC version is cheaper and online play is free. Also available on STEAM which is superior to PSN service

Meanwhile PS version needs a paid subscription and its expensive compared to PC.

Are you talking key sites or something? Game is $40 on Steam and PS5.

GHG

These analysts you cite here GameDiscoverCo are also saying 65%-75% of copies were sold on Steam

We’ll never get real sales splits from Sony.

That's the issue, they are stating splits when it's notoriously difficult to get digital data out of Sony. I don't doubt that there are more players on Steam than there are on the PS5, that in itself would make sense. However, to state that 1 in 4 active steam accounts in the US alone are playing the game, that's a stretch and a half given the numbers we've seen in recent days.

We will have to wait for an update from the devs or Sony themselves.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I hate that fucking false narrative. Like we can't all go outside or know people. I know only a handful of women who seriously play games whereas pretty much every male between 12 and 50 games. They're still trying to sell us that 50% of women play games like men. I can fucking guarantee that 50% of players in COD or Elden Ring are not women. They need to stop with this bullshit.
Anytime in gaming you see metrics saying women play just as much as men is going to be misleading. Not only do more men play games, but even if it’s true somehow women play 50/50 with guys the games they play are totally different. They definitely must skew to non competitive games like Sims or puzzles games because there is no way women play popular games like fps, sports, gta, counter strike, lol etc….

It’s a meaningless metric but it sounds good for sake of inclusivity and evening out the stats. It’s like that old social media’s usage study from like 2016 or 17 I remember. Women use social media sites a bit more but if it’s 60/40 women who really cares because the important info is which sites are used by whom more. Linked in skewed to guys, I think Twitter and FB were kind of close 50/50 while Pinterest and Instagram where like 75/25 women.

Years ago there was a post and chart from somewhere I forget where it showed the % of gamers being women by genre. It was some kind of research survey or something. I’m sure some of you remember it too. I think sports and shooters were both like 5% or less women playing.

Last edited:
There’s a cap of 450k players on each platform atm (450k on Pc and 450k on PS5). Both platforms seems to be full most of the times considering all the people complaining on PS5 FB groups and other forums about not being able to get into the game because the servers are full.

The game is #1 on PSN US and other regions, yet Matt is doing the same platform warring that others are doing and got blocked in his account.

Him and Daniel Ahmad have some bizarre analysis regarding PS things related. Funny thing is that these wrong analysis are fuel and food for a lot of platform warriors.

tmlDan

I dislike him, but it's not fair to say this when he's not actually sharing his analysis, just weird little teasers.

We're not his customers so obviously we don't get his work product for free.
Analysts don't share teasers without validity, otherwise they're bad at it.

If he can't expand on how they gather data and the % of accuracy it has then don't share it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And that's fair. Certainly better than your "because its NPD" reply.

Edit: added that reply to my post

lol.....so this is apparently the post that cause Piscatella to block that guy...

Please. Wasn't even directed towards Piscatella. Piscatella is being petty

Sounds like Piscatella is projecting.
Tea Time Drink GIF

Raonak

Banned
Not entirely surprising in that steam players play more multiplayer games, while PS5 players play more single player games.

Kinda matches my anecdotal evidence.

graywolf323

It helps but if you play with random players 1 or 2 out of 10 voice chat. Its better with friends
sadly my friend base is largely the same as me and focuses on single player stuff

I loved things like SOCOM, Halo, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, etc. ~20 years ago though but that was back in my high school/college days when I had more energy/time to invest in MP games & I then fell off pretty hard at the tail end of the PS3/360 gen

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What does “owned” mean?

Are they referring to the person that bought it?
In other words, if a Mum buys her son a PS5 then that is counted as female owned?
Owned means nothing except when it comes to marketing who to buy it. But the marketing changes towards who uses it or wants it.

It’s like toys.

Most toys are bought by adults and parents. But the user of Barbie is the kid.

So the marketing to kids is tv show ads, cartoons and cool colourful packaging. The marketing to parents is price and Xmas gift buying guides in the mail.

Fbh

Doesn't seem that surprising.
It's not some big historical Sony franchise and it seems like the type of game that usually thrives on PC.

Anyone who is upset about this is in an idiot. Ultimately if you care about the game you want it to have a big active community.

I don’t have any access to any kind of fancy data or metrics or some such…

But. Seems to me that helldivers is exactly the kind of game that would thrive on Steam. An online cooperative shooter, on a pc platform with a catastrophically larger audience of active users than PlayStation?

Yeah. It’s probably doing larger numbers on Steam. I can’t prove that. But I think it’s a reasonable assumption. Smart of Sony to launch it multiplatform. Not sure why some folks feel an instinctive need to get hyper defensive about it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don’t have any access to any kind of fancy data or metrics or some such…

But. Seems to me that helldivers is exactly the kind of game that would thrive on Steam. An online cooperative shooter, on a pc platform with a catastrophically larger audience of active users than PlayStation?

Yeah. It’s probably doing larger numbers on Steam. I can’t prove that. But I think it’s a reasonable assumption. Smart of Sony to launch it multiplatform. Not sure why some folks feel an instinctive need to get hyper defensive about it.

Interesting to note: Fortnite did better on PS4 than PC. Now that's F2P and skews to a younger demographic but I assumed the splits would be ~50:50 for Helldivers.

[Sigma]

I don't think his metrics matter when the damn this is capped and difficult to get in for a lot. I've been in queue on PS5 for at least an hour today(like yesterday). Turned off the the oled. I'll know im in-game on my ship when my controller rumbles.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've never seen so many operatives so desperate to try and promote how popular this game is on PC in the hope that it persuades Sony to release all their games day and date on PC.

It was always obvious that GaaS games should release day and date with PC, you need the streamers (who almost exclusively play on PC) to be playing it and a healthy player base benefits all that own the game. For single player games though, I'm not sure it makes quite as much sense. (yet)

Last edited:
Top Bottom