• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Piscatella of NPD: P55 will likely be passed by Switch in "fastest launch sales ever" within the month

Kjtc1979

Take your Nintendo Defense Force blinders off and realize I am just pointing out historical facts, which is nothing to be afraid of. Yes, we have not lived thru the first full year of PS5 yet, and production could very well ramp up also. However, it is factually accurate to state that at this point in time, the historical shortages Nintendo faced were very dissimilar to the ones PS5 is facing, and Nintendo could remedy them, whereas it is entirely doubtful that Sony can do the same. A fact you allude to in your last three sentences.
Nintendo did remedy it by December, which is why they will take the lead when that month is added to the comparisons. It doesn’t change the fact that they didn’t meet demand up until that point. And guess what? Same was true for PS4, which couldn’t meet demand at all during its first year.

ethomaz

Banned
From the section referenced above:
“On December 12, 2017, the company announced the system had sold over 10 million units worldwide, having reached its sales goal for the 2017 fiscal year within nine months. Nintendo raised its Switch sales expectation to 14 million units for the fiscal year.”

Further down in the Lifetime Sales chart, it is stated that as of 2018-03-31, 17.79 units had been sold. That is exactly one year after launch.

Maybe you should create a wikipedia account and explain to them how they are wrong?
Because wiki is confusing things lol

Over 14 million was indeed the forecast for FY posted in the Q2 earnings (end of September 2017).

Makes the maths yourself… 14 million + 2.74m = ? (yes they shipped around 1 million more than what they predicted).

Unless you are taking about the prediction of over 10 million they made at Switch launch… they indeed revised that forecast based on spectations compared with the forecast based in sales.

Last edited:

Kjtc1979

The Nintendo gamers are stupid narrative? I mean, even the Xbox gamers could untangle the new Xbox names, how could people not get that the Wii U was a new machine?
The name was stupid, but this argument always misses that the Wii brand itself was weakened by the end its life cycle, and that the Wii U had a terrible value perception. The “tablet” looked like a fisher price toy, and the market had no interest in the asynchronous play that the system promoted.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Fuck it, why not just classify iPhone as a home console then?

Their classification is wrong and someone should tell him.
You can go either way with a hybrid by calling it a console or a portable because it is, in fact, a hybrid. I mean it's even called "The Switch".

It turns out the consolized sku is much more popular than the portable aspect alone in the Switch Lite, even though the Lite is $100 cheaper.

In any case, it's classified as a console by NPD and that's the way it will remain for its entire lifespan. There's a lot of people saying it's different generation, different market, different anything because they don't want to have acknowledge it's in the top spot in hardware sales.

This sort of thing on matters to internet gamers though, from a software point of view, it's very much Nintendo's home console as it's the place where their console budgeted games go. NPD probably figures that in as well, as software sales are tabulated into their metrics.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Well I consider it myself a portable with docked options.

But I see no issue calling it a console… docked it works like a console… that of course doesn’t change the main use of Switch is as portable.

Bryank75

Banned
You can go either way with a hybrid by calling it a console or a portable because it is, in fact, a hybrid. I mean it's even called "The Switch".

It turns out the consolized sku is much more popular than the portable aspect alone in the Switch Lite, even though the Lite is $100 cheaper.

In any case, it's classified as a console by NPD and that's the way it will remain for its entire lifespan. There's a lot of people saying it's different generation, different market, different anything because they don't want to have acknowledge it's in the top spot in hardware sales.

This sort of thing on matters to internet gamers though, from a software point of view, it's very much Nintendo's home console as it's the place where their console budgeted games go. NPD probably figures that in as well, as software sales are tabulated into their metrics.
But it's not a hybrid, calling it a hybrid doesn't make it one. It has a full on version that is just portable, meaning a portion of them do not even have a big screen mode.

It doesn't matter which is more popular either, making a non-TV compatible one solidifies it as a portable primarily.

Giving a portable a connector to a tv doesnt make it a home console IMO.

Marty-McFly

Banned
But it's not a hybrid, calling it a hybrid doesn't make it one. It has a full on version that is just portable, meaning a portion of them do not even have a big screen mode.

It doesn't matter which is more popular either, making a non-TV compatible one solidifies it as a portable primarily.

Giving a portable a connector to a tv doesnt make it a home console IMO.
It's irrelevant, it's still the Switch featuring the same games, just the fully portable version. NPD, nor anyone else in the industry is going to divide the two sku's in Switch's total sales. That would be like not counting PS4 Pro sales in PS4's sales even though it has a modified architecture. In this case even the architecture is the same.

Bryank75

Banned
It's irrelevant, it's still the Switch featuring the same games, just the fully portable version. NPD, nor anyone else in the industry is going to divide the two sku's in Switch's total sales. That would be like not counting PS4 Pro sales in PS4's sales even though it has a modified architecture. In this case even the architecture is the same.
Na, PS4Pro is a home console. You don't bring it around with you. Anything with it's own battery is not a home console.

zaanan

Banned
Nintendo did remedy it by December, which is why they will take the lead when that month is added to the comparisons. It doesn’t change the fact that they didn’t meet demand up until that point. And guess what? Same was true for PS4, which couldn’t meet demand at all during its first year.
You were doing better when you said the thing about PS5 chip shortages. I thought we were going to agree that the external factors PS5 is facing are more serious and unchangeable than the ones Nintendo faced then. It’s objectively true.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Na, PS4Pro is a home console. You don't bring it around with you. Anything with it's own battery is not a home console.
By your definition. Not by mine or NPD's. Maybe you should take it up with the NPD group and see if you can get them to change their mind :messenger_ok: . Hybrid "console" is what they and the press have coined it since it released, far before the Switch Lite was even a thing.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
You were doing better when you said the thing about PS5 chip shortages. I thought we were going to agree that the external factors PS5 is facing are more serious and unchangeable than the ones Nintendo faced then. It’s objectively true.
Nintendo is facing chip shortages as well. It affects everyone.

hroerekr

This was a stupid metric to begin with. Sales are widely different depending on the quarter (with holiday Q surpassing the rest of the year combined)
Aligning month-to-month sales since launches from different quarters will never make sense.

This type of comparison is valid on year-to-year basis, when both sides have all quarters included.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Exactly so Switch's competition is portable gaming devices like the DS and a argument can be made for cell phones,which are not only more powerful at playing games but also have more games,accessories and can also be played on a tv/monitor.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Exactly so Switch's competition is portable gaming devices like the DS and a argument can be made for cell phones,which are not only more powerful at playing games but also have more games,accessories and can also be played on a tv/monitor.
No. Its competition is other consoles that feature full priced games. Software very much plays a role in NPD and the industries decision to call it a home console, just as much as the fact that most people use it in their TV's.

An argument can be made that many devices can be used in the TV but are they really being used this way en masse like with Switch? No. Of course not.

Last edited:

Kjtc1979

It does look like PS5 is going to suffer longer with shortages than the Switch did, that’s for sure.

S0ULZB0URNE

No. Its competition is other consoles that feature full priced games. Software very much plays a role in NPD and the industries decision to call it a home console, just as much as the fact that most people use it in their TV's.

An argument can be made that many devices can be used in the TV but are they really being used this way en masse like with Switch? No. Of course not.
Switch isn't a console it's a portable device that can be played on a screen like cell phones.

Portable gaming (cell phones/switch) is the top thing in Japan.

A argument can't be made that the XSX or PS5 are portable devices.

Kjtc1979

Nintendo is facing chip shortages as well. It affects everyone.

I think the corner has been turned for Switch at least. This past month is the first time I’ve seen it on store shelves regularly since before the pandemic. That might also reflect reduced demand as some consumers wait for the new model in October.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Switch isn't a console it's a portable device that can be played on a screen like cell phones.

Portable gaming (cell phones/switch) is the top thing in Japan.

A argument can't be made that the XSX or PS5 are portable devices.
The % of cell phone users plugging them into their tv's vs. the % of Switch owners who use it as home console is incomparable. Cell phones are not even considered dedicated gaming devices, much less portables.

In any case, this point of contention is futile to discuss. If you consider the Switch a portable that's great, run with it. The industry and NPD consider it a home console.

S0ULZB0URNE

The % of cell phone users plugging them into their tv's vs. the % of Switch owners who use it as home console is incomparable. Cell phones are not even considered dedicated gaming devices, much less portables.

In any case, this point of contention is futile to discuss. If you consider the Switch a portable that's great, run with it. The industry and NPD consider it a home console.
Link that people aren't playing mobile games on tv's or boxes like Apple/Android(compatible and with mobile innards)?

Mobile gaming is the top thing in Japan with most using cell phones.

SIGNIFICANTLY more cell phone gaming software is downloaded than gaming software on the Switch.

Technically being that SIGNIFICANTLY more games can be played on a cell phone makes it more of a gaming device.

Saying because it's not the main reason a cell phone is made argument is like saying a PC isn't a game device and that doesn't work either.

Link that people aren't playing mobile games on tv's or boxes like Apple/Android(compatible and with mobile innards)?

Mobile gaming is the top thing in Japan with most using cell phones.

SIGNIFICANTLY more cell phone gaming software is downloaded than gaming software on the Switch.

Technically being that SIGNIFICANTLY more games can be played on a cell phone makes it more of a gaming device.

Saying because it's not the main reason a cell phone is made argument is like saying a PC isn't a game device and that doesn't work either.
We're reaching levels of cope that shouldn't even be possible.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
As usual you are a xbot(don't even care for Switch)that has nothing to add to the discussion and are so pathetic that you hang in vs PS5 threads.
dumb patrick star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Kabelly

i think regardless the games you are buying for Switch were and are the same home console games you were getting on Wii U. Or do you not consider Wii U a home console? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is slightly more upgraded for Switch so there was no compromises for it being in a hybrid system. Is it now not a home console game?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

i think regardless the games you are buying for Switch were and are the same home console games you were getting on Wii U. Or do you not consider Wii U a home console? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is slightly more upgraded for Switch so there was no compromises for it being in a hybrid system. Is it now not a home console game?
I can play home console games on my phones so this argument doesn't work.

Heck Wii,U and Switch games can be played on my phones.

The name was stupid, but this argument always misses that the Wii brand itself was weakened by the end its life cycle, and that the Wii U had a terrible value perception. The “tablet” looked like a fisher price toy, and the market had no interest in the asynchronous play that the system promoted.
Exactly, this is not people thinking that the Wii U is a Wii add-on.

Why do you act like we disagree then prove my point better than I could? 🤩

How about that Valve console when you plug it on a TV?

I find it strange that depending on the context and arguments made the Switch changes category, people don't want to lose arguments. I think that it should be classified as a portable machine that can be hooked up to the TV.

That being said, we can compare the sales with the PS5 either way.

Kjtc1979

How about that Valve console when you plug it on a TV?

I find it strange that depending on the context and arguments made the Switch changes category, people don't want to lose arguments. I think that it should be classified as a portable machine that can be hooked up to the TV.

That being said, we can compare the sales with the PS5 either way.
The lede that’s being buried is that PS5 is keeping pace with the Switch, which is now well ahead of the PS4 launch-aligned. It’s early, but given that demand is far outstripping supply, it’s conceivable that PS5 could be Sony’s biggest selling console since the PS2.

True.

I'm posting this because it's news but launch sales are usually just PR optics.

What's more interesting is how well consoles sell when they not being limited by demand.

Switch had the best year ever in 2020 with 28.8 million sales, and 21 million in fy 2019. It's on pace to do over 20 million this year as well.

PS4's best year was 20 million out of its 8 years on the market, but with gaming growing, and covid inflating everyone's sales I can see PS5 passing that point of 20 million if there is enough stock to meet demand within the next couple years. They need to strike while the iron is hot though because Covid may be winding down.
All of this makes a lot of sense except the last 5 words. Come visit my ICU sometime and you'll see Covid is most assuredly not winding down. If anything, with variant mutations & pockets of the population still vax hesitant it's ramping back up (to a point, I'm sympathetic to those who distrust the govt telling people to get shots, but facts are facts...95%+ of the people admitted to my hospital & 98% of those needing ICU beds in August have been unvaccinated. The continued spread allows the virus to mutate & potentially spawn worse versions of itself. That's just how viruses work).

So, basically, Covid is on the verge of getting much worse...at least in the short term.

How this affects markets like video games, small businesses like restaurants, etc...again depends on various factors (seasonal/regional weather, collective behavior, booster shot effectiveness, etc...).

We're reaching levels of cope that shouldn't even be possible.

Yeah I've been enjoying the thread... popcorn in hand...but then this whole argument about whether or not the Switch is a "console" or "portable" is just beyond ridiculous. Pure semantics.

My first thought was "Who the hell cares?" But then I realized the obvious answer: the usual Playstation console warrior suspects are at it again. 😂

And comparing a Switch to cell phones being connected to TVs is reaching critical mass levels of stupidity.

I mean, hell, let's go ahead and divide the Xbox sales numbers too while we're at it...we could call my Series S a" "portable" bc I can easily throw it in my backpack n take it with me while my Series X stays firmly rooted in the entertainment center. 🤦‍♂️😅

For our household purposes, our Switch devices have been "consoles" 75% of the time and "portables" 25% of the time (for me personally it's been more like 90 console/10 portable). Which means the Switch is, for us, the textbook definition of a "hybrid" that leans hard into being a console most of the time. I would venture a guess this is a pretty common usage pattern.

S0ULZB0URNE

Yeah I've been enjoying the thread... popcorn in hand...but then this whole argument about whether or not the Switch is a "console" or "portable" is just beyond ridiculous. Pure semantics.

My first thought was "Who the hell cares?" But then I realized the obvious answer: the usual Playstation console warrior suspects are at it again. 😂

And comparing a Switch to cell phones being connected to TVs is reaching critical mass levels of stupidity.

I mean, hell, let's go ahead and divide the Xbox sales numbers too while we're at it...we could call my Series S a" "portable" bc I can easily throw it in my backpack n take it with me while my Series X stays firmly rooted in the entertainment center. 🤦‍♂️😅

For our household purposes, our Switch devices have been "consoles" 75% of the time and "portables" 25% of the time (for me personally it's been more like 90 console/10 portable). Which means the Switch is, for us, the textbook definition of a "hybrid" that leans hard into being a console most of the time. I would venture a guess this is a pretty common usage pattern.
XSX,xss and PS5 "consoles" don't run off of batteries and don't include a screen.

Talking out your ass with terrible comparisons gets you nowhere.

See nothing from you.
These threads are full of your types. Nobody called me out on anything.. it's I who called yaw out.

Oh OK so you got triggered by "nothing" then?

My bad, I thought you responded to me by being belligerently aggressive because someone dared to speak truth about you being one of GAFs insane Sony zealots who does nothing but invade threads and push the bounds of stupidity like, oh, for example comparing a Switch to a cell phone bc you want to defend your precious Playstation sales numbers?

That isn't what you did? OK. 😉👍🏼

Bryank75

Banned

Many games do not run on Switch, they have cloud versions.

If it has its own battery, it is a portable. Why would a home console need a battery?

Rat Rage

Switch would be a gen 9 console, making the comparisons straightforward. As it is, it’s gen 8.5, and its success vs other consoles will be forever clouded by this fact.

Switch is a 9 gen console. That's a fact. There is no such thing as a 0.5 generation among consoles generations (or generations in general?).

S0ULZB0URNE

Oh OK so you got triggered by "nothing" then?

My bad, I thought you responded to me by being belligerently aggressive because someone dared to speak truth about you being one of GAFs insane Sony zealots who does nothing but invade threads and push the bounds of stupidity like, oh, for example comparing a Switch to a cell phone bc you want to defend your precious Playstation sales numbers?

That isn't what you did? OK. 😉👍🏼
So still no point just trolling.
A quick search of your post history shows major Playstation trolling.
Not sure how you are still a member here?

Last edited:
The lede that’s being buried is that PS5 is keeping pace with the Switch, which is now well ahead of the PS4 launch-aligned. It’s early, but given that demand is far outstripping supply, it’s conceivable that PS5 could be Sony’s biggest selling console since the PS2.
That's how I was reading the headline too, it was a strangely written way to say that so far the PS5 is outselling the Switch (which it on its way to outsell or get very close to the PS2 in terms of units sold, assuming it keeps its momentum).

The thing is that I assume a number of people will be satisfied with the PS4 as a console, but I also don't get why the Switch sells so much (I know the arguments, they just don't work for me, and they don't have to).

Top Bottom