• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Piscatella of NPD: P55 will likely be passed by Switch in "fastest launch sales ever" within the month

Reallink

This is an utterly meaningless metric. Several modern console's have sold every unit they could produce, you're just measuring their quality of planning and production capacity, not consumer demand.

Last edited:

Tschumi

o_O how can that make sense, Switch "launch sales" were, what, 6 years ago or something? How can its "launch" sales be climbing? Ehhh

If this is true then why is the Switch selling so much better than the Switch Lite even though the Lite is $100 cheaper when Lite is the fully portable SKU?
Smaller, no motion controls, controllers not removable, games like 1-2-3-Switch or Super Mario Party don't work, 3-7 hours instead of 4,5-9h battery life

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Did everyone forget that Piscatella tracks only US sales? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ya'll really need to ignore the console warring threads made by a certain someone.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Did everyone forget that Piscatella tracks only US sales? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ya'll really need to ignore the console warring threads made by a certain someone.
I mean, I included that in the OP.

He is talking about the US here but with Switch's strength of sales in NA during the holidays, and considering its sales in Japan and the rest of the world, I believe this will hold true worldwide.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Lol, he "believes" it will hold true worldwide.

It's nice to be a believer. 😂

*clicks ignore thread*
Of course it's going to be true worldwide. Do you have any idea how much the Switch sells in Japan and the US during the holiday?

Last edited:

Soodanim

I'm no investor but sales matter to me and many others because it determines what kind of games we get.

Switch owners have been getting preferential indie treatment along with PC and games like Hades a year before the other platforms because of how good indies are selling on the Switch. Install base helps software sales. We are even seeing a lot more franchises we wouldn't normally see on a Nintendo platform from AAA publishers.

The sales of Sony games are pushing a lot of third person cinematic games because they sell well. So if you like cinematic games this is a good thing.
You do whatever makes you happy of course, but I don’t understand the mindset. You’re an established Nintendo fan, and you love your Switch, so you’re going to buy games you want regardless of what the numbers are.

Comparisons like this thread are essentially invalid when a global pandemic and semiconductor shortages are both happening. You won’t ever get a true representation of maximum potential launch window sales under these circumstances. All it does is invite theoretical ideals, which serve no one.

Marty-McFly

Banned
You do whatever makes you happy of course, but I don’t understand the mindset. You’re an established Nintendo fan, and you love your Switch, so you’re going to buy games you want regardless of what the numbers are.

Comparisons like this thread are essentially invalid when a global pandemic and semiconductor shortages are both happening. You won’t ever get a true representation of maximum potential launch window sales under these circumstances. All it does is invite theoretical ideals, which serve no one.
I pretty much stated in the OP and the following posts it was a meaningless metric and most just used for PR optics.

It's still discussed often because Sony uses it in their PR every month though, just as Nintendo did when Switch launched.

The only real numbers that matter are quarterly, annual and lifetime sales.

Last edited:

zedinen

Apples and oranges, Mr Piscatella.

Software Unit Sales (million)

PS1 962.0 (Tie Ratio 9.4)

GB 501.11 (Tie Ratio 4.2)

PS2 1537.0 (TR 9.9)

GBA 377.42 (TR 4.6)

PS3 999.4 (TR 11.4)

NDS 948.74 (TR 6.2)

PS4 1600+ (TR 13.7)

NSW 632.40 (TR 7.1)

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Apples and oranges, Mr Piscatella.

Software Unit Sales (million)

PS1 962.0 (Tie Ratio 9.4)

GB 501.11 (Tie Ratio 4.2)

PS2 1537.0 (TR 9.9)

GBA 377.42 (TR 4.6)

PS3 994.4 (TR 11.4)

NDS 948.74 (TR 6.2)

PS4 1600+ (TR 13.7)

NSW 632.40 (TR 7.1)

I don't think he's trying to make any kind of statement, just pointing out raw statistics. He's an analyst after all. His customers don't care so much about opinion as they do raw-ass numbers that equate to returns on investments.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Who would of thought Launch Sales was a moving target years after it's done.
Some gymnastics there..

Marty-McFly

Banned
The stat is meaningless especially when one is being artificially restricted due to a chip shortage
Agree the stat is meaningless, but mostly because both were completely sold out (PS5 currently is).

We can't even properly determine the demand of the Series X until it stops being sold out.

Bragr

Banned
With a pro model and price drops? If it sells over 15 million in 2022 that means it still has a ton of juice left in it.

PS2 already had price drops at this stage in its lifecycle. Sure, it sold off the back of being a good cheap dvd player but we have to consider the gaming market is bigger, Switch has an expanded audience, not a single price drop, and a bunch of evergreen titles that stay in the top ten month in and month out.
Maybe, it sure has some insane software numbers. But even though the market is bigger, it also has more actors. The next-gen ain't gonna kick in properly until far into-2022, and once the OLED Switch and Pokemon Legends phase slowly wears off, who knows where Switch will go from there.

If you look at its last 2 years, without Animal Crossing it would likely be in decline already. I highly doubt you will ever see a pro-model, a price drop might be interesting, but I doubt it's gonna get anything close to 120 million in 2022.

No matter what, it's gonna be fascinating to follow.

zaanan

Banned
In Sony's PR they have been saying "PS5 is the fastest selling console ever" comparing its sales to other consoles since the date of their launch

Link? In this article they clearly state it’s the fastest selling Sony console: “PS5 is the fastest-selling console in SIE’s history”

Also, the plandemic did boost numbers for all, but it also has severely constrained manufacturing, something the Switch did not have to deal with in its launch year three-and-a-half years before PS5/XSX. I mean, I like Nintendo, but if they had not aborted Wii U, Switch would be a gen 9 console, making the comparisons straightforward. As it is, it’s gen 8.5, and its success vs other consoles will be forever clouded by this fact.

Kjtc1979

Link? In this article they clearly state it’s the fastest selling Sony console: “PS5 is the fastest-selling console in SIE’s history”

Also, the plandemic did boost numbers for all, but it also has severely constrained manufacturing, something the Switch did not have to deal with in its launch year three-and-a-half years before PS5/XSX. I mean, I like Nintendo, but if they had not aborted Wii U, Switch would be a gen 9 console, making the comparisons straightforward. As it is, it’s gen 8.5, and its success vs other consoles will be forever clouded by this fact.

The launch window comparisons are going to see-saw because Switch launched in early March and Ps5 in November, but both consoles faced massive shortages in their launch years.

assurdum

Banned
Sales threads are the best and worst of GAF. 99% of people don't care, except to console war. And the other 1% are actual investors.

Me on the other hand, I got my popcorn ready for the shitty takes.
lucious lyon wtf GIF

Kjtc1979

>thread about hardware sales
>dude posts (incomplete) software sales for no reason

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF
Comparing handhelds to home consoles and then a younger home console to one that’s completed its life cycle, as if we don’t know that software attachment rates grow the fastest at the end of a life cycle, when hardware sales bottom out but software sales remain high.

Why not compare software between PS5 and Switch? The answer is obvious, but it’s the same reason comparing PS4 and Switch by that metric is also ridiculous.

Last edited:

yurinka

There are no games in November for PS5, so no.
Are they going to cancel all the announced games for November like GTA5 PS5, GTA Online PS5, FFXIV expansion, Just Dance and so on, plus also to stop selling all previously released PS5 and PS4 games?

And well, in addition to this there are many games still listed as 2021 or late 2021 (like Horizon 2), which means that some may be delayed to 2022 but most of them will be released in December or November.

So ps5 will no longer be the fastest selling console? However will we cope.
During a few months yes, then it will be back to be the fastest selling console if Sony achieves their target for this fiscal year (they claimed to have secured enough chips to achieve it).

PS5 will be temporally behind Switch launch aligned because PS5 and Switch don't have the Christmas aligned to their launch, and because PS5 is heavily supply constrained by the chips issue.

I'm talking about worldwide levels, but I assume in USA will be pretty similar because it's the biggest country for consoles, even if Europe is the biggest market for PlayStation.

Last edited:
Comparing handhelds to home consoles and then a younger home console to one that’s completed its life cycle, as if we don’t know that software attachment rates grow the fastest at the end of a life cycle, when hardware sales bottom out but software sales remain high.

Why not compare software between PS5 and Switch? The answer is obvious, but it’s the same reason comparing PS4 and Switch by that metric is also ridiculous.
It's doubly funny once you realize that Nintendo doesn't even count download only games. And there's a shitload of those on the eshop, and people are buying them because they're cheap and perfect for a portable console.

zaanan

Banned
both consoles faced massive shortages in their launch years

Link? Nintendo adjusted manufacturing up in Switches’ first year, whereas Sony had to cut production in PS5’s first year.

Kjtc1979

Link? Nintendo adjusted manufacturing up in Switches’ first year, whereas Sony had to cut production in PS5’s first year.

Do you not have access to Google?

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/58104/nintendo-switch-supply-remain-constrained-2017/index.html

https://fortune.com/2017/08/27/nintendo-switch-shortages/

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/829746/Nintendo-Switch-NEWS-update-Japan-queues-sales

ethomaz

Banned
There are no games in November for PS5, so no.
At actual demand PS5 doesn’t need games to sell… it will sell everything Sony shipped.

You can expected at least 2 million combined Nov + Dec.

BTW Sony is limited only by the 80 million wafers they secured from TSMC for 2021.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
Do you not realize how the passage of time works? Those are all forward-looking articles from 2017 which turned out to be wrong. Doomy forecasts notwithstanding, Nintendo increased production numbers twice in the first year, first to 10m, then to 14m, and they actually ended up selling 17.7m.

(Reception section, Sales heading)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Do you not realize how the passage of time works? Those are all forward-looking articles from 2017 which turned out to be wrong. Doomy forecasts notwithstanding, Nintendo increased production numbers twice in the first year, first to 10m, then to 14m, and they actually ended up selling 17.7m.

(Release section, Sales heading)
That is not what happened lol

Switch announced sales of 10 million in December and to investors the CEO said their target was over 14 million for the fiscal year.

Wiki is using the word raise but it was not raised the forecast

Last edited:

Kjtc1979

(Release section, Sales heading)
Do you not realize we haven’t gotten up to that point yet in the launch window comparison? That’s why Switch doesn’t pull ahead until December is included. They significantly underestimated demand and supply was constricted until December in the Americas.

https://wccftech.com/nintendo-npd-december-2017/

Take your console warring blinders off and you’ll see that both Switch and PS5 have enjoyed historically successful launches, with demand far outpacing supply in their first year on the market. Nintendo underestimated demand and had to ramp up production. Sony couldn’t meet projected demand because of chip shortages. Both systems would’ve sold many more units if they could’ve gotten them on store shelves.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
That is not what happened lol

Switch announced sales of 10 million in December and to investors the CEO said their target was over 14 million for the fiscal year.

Wiki is using the word raise but it was not raised the forecast.
From the section referenced above:
“On December 12, 2017, the company announced the system had sold over 10 million units worldwide, having reached its sales goal for the 2017 fiscal year within nine months. Nintendo raised its Switch sales expectation to 14 million units for the fiscal year.”

Further down in the Lifetime Sales chart, it is stated that as of 2018-03-31, 17.79 units had been sold. That is exactly one year after launch.

Maybe you should create a wikipedia account and explain to them how they are wrong?

zaanan

Banned
Do you not realize we haven’t gotten up to that point yet in the launch window comparison? That’s why Switch doesn’t pull ahead until December is included. They significantly underestimated demand and supply was constricted until December in the Americas.

https://wccftech.com/nintendo-npd-december-2017/

Take your console warring blinders off and you’ll see that both Switch and PS5 have enjoyed historically successful launches, with demand far outpacing supply in their first year on the market. Nintendo underestimated demand and had to ramp up production. Sony couldn’t meet projected demand because of chip shortages. Both systems would’ve sold many more units if they could’ve gotten them on store shelves.
Take your Nintendo Defense Force blinders off and realize I am just pointing out historical facts, which is nothing to be afraid of. Yes, we have not lived thru the first full year of PS5 yet, and production could very well ramp up also. However, it is factually accurate to state that at this point in time, the historical shortages Nintendo faced were very dissimilar to the ones PS5 is facing, and Nintendo could remedy them, whereas it is entirely doubtful that Sony can do the same. A fact you allude to in your last three sentences.

Bryank75

Banned
Switch is NOT a home console and it is ridiculous to say it is. It is a portable with a TV mode.

The dock is just a connector to the tv that allows a more energy intensive mode.

Also it has a model that cannot be used on TV, so it is definitely not a home console.

Kjtc1979

From the section referenced above:
“On December 12, 2017, the company announced the system had sold over 10 million units worldwide, having reached its sales goal for the 2017 fiscal year within nine months. Nintendo raised its Switch sales expectation to 14 million units for the fiscal year.”

Further down in the Lifetime Sales chart, it is stated that as of 2018-03-31, 17.79 units had been sold. That is exactly one year after launch.

Maybe you should create a wikipedia account and explain to them how they are wrong?

Increasing sales expectations twice doesn’t mean production was raised twice. You're also getting the fiscal years confused. That 17.79 includes 2.74 million units shipped in March 2017, which was part of the previous fiscal year. Nintendo shipped 15.05 million units, which was only a little over a million more than their increased projection for that fiscal year. Nearly half of those were shipped in the holiday quarter.

I'll let you in on a little secret, most people didn't even know the Wii U existed it was marketed so poorly, or thought it was a Wii (100 million) add on. Switch got the marketing down pat from the jump and another huge difference maker is Nintendo is putting all of their development power behind one platform.
The Nintendo gamers are stupid narrative? I mean, even the Xbox gamers could untangle the new Xbox names, how could people not get that the Wii U was a new machine?

Top Bottom