• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Piscatella of NPD: P55 will likely be passed by Switch in "fastest launch sales ever" within the month

Marty-McFly

Banned
Man, come on. Nintendo won't ever have a better support than Playstation.
Switch has been a force with Indies all gen. In fact, Playstation and Xbox users are just now enjoying last years GOTY on Switch/PC, Hades.

There's a lot written about this. Here is some to get you started.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
Switch is a 9 gen console. That's a fact. There is no such thing as a 0.5 generation among consoles generations (or generations in general?).

You’re right, 8.5 is being too generous. It’s gen 8:

“The eighth generation of video game consoles began in 2012, and consists of four home video game consoles: the Wii U released in 2012, the PlayStation 4 family in 2013, the Xbox One family in 2013, and the Nintendo Switch family in 2017.”

Looks like someone else needs to create a wikipedia account and start arguing with them.

Amin_Parker

Switch has been a force with Indies all gen. In fact, Playstation and Xbox users are just now enjoying last years GOTY on Switch/PC, Hades.

You are one of the best members on this site. Very knowledgeable and always have great comeback lines. We Nintendo fans are lucky to have you on our team.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

“The eighth generation of video game consoles began in 2012, and consists of four home video game consoles: the Wii U released in 2012, the PlayStation 4 family in 2013, the Xbox One family in 2013, and the Nintendo Switch family in 2017.”

Looks like someone else needs to create a wikipedia account and start arguing with them.
huh

Marty-McFly

Banned
Figure it out. I know scrolling and reading previous posts is hard, but you can do it.
Okay I figured it out. You made it up.

No writing professional would use grammar like this.

“PS5 is facing are more serious and unchangeable than the ones Nintendo faced then

Anyway, everyone is facing chip shortages. Having said that, at launch it's always more difficult to get consoles out so Playstation is dealing with that as well.

S0ULZB0URNE

“PS5 is facing are more serious and unchangeable than the ones Nintendo faced then

Anyway, everyone is facing chip shortages. Having said that, at launch it's always more difficult to get consoles out so Playstation is dealing with that as well.
But not every device is in the same level of demand as the PS5.

I can walk in a store and walk out with a Switch.

This isn't the case for the PS5 as the demand is through the roof which further complicates things.

Marty-McFly

Banned
But not every device is in the same level of demand as the PS5.

I can walk in a store and walk out with a Switch.

This isn't the case for the PS5 as the demand is through the roof which further complicates things.
Considering how many more units Switch is selling than PS5 right now, that's to be expected.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
More Switch devices are made.

If one could walk into a store and buy a PS5 things would be different.

PS5 will have more life time sales than the Switch and you can bookmark this.
how about this: make a bet which console will sell more and come back when the generation has ended. winner gets a Nintendo Switch or PS5. it would be much more interesting that way...

mejin

There is no point to those articles cause the games are coming to every platform in the end.

For example, Sony got some hits in the past like Fall Guys and Rocket League. They have Kena, Stray, Solar Ash coming, etc. They will keep giving support to indies just like Nintendo and MS, there is no magic here.

Nintendo selling great or not will always have a worse third party support than Playstation, indies or not.

Hey look, that Wiki article has the Switch under the "home console" section 🤭

Marty-McFly

Banned
There is no point to those articles cause the games are coming to every platform in the end.

For example, Sony got some hits in the past like Fall Guys and Rocket League. They have Kena, Stray, Solar Ash coming, etc. They will keep giving support to indies just like Nintendo and MS, there is no magic here.

Nintendo selling great or not will always have a worse third party support than Playstation, indies or not.
Playstation's ecosystem is built around third party support so they'd be in pretty deep if that were not the case.

Hezekiah

Banned
You act as if you have someway of proving this.

The only thing that is certain is that PS5 is already showing signs of collapse in their second biggest region, Japan.
The cope is strong here.

PS5 is the fastest console to hit 10m. And at this point, demand continues to be even stronger than it was for the Switch.

And if history is an indicator, it's probably sold more software too.

Marty-McFly

Banned
The cope is strong here.

PS5 is the fastest console to hit 10m. And at this point, demand continues to be even stronger than it was for the Switch.

And if history is an indicator, it's probably sold more software too.
Everything about this post is ridiculous and also nice projection with the cope :messenger_ok:

- Switch is going to pass PS5 launch alligned launch sales this month
- Switch is selling faster than any Sony console in history after 76 months
- Switch is destroying PS5 in software sales. It has an install base of close to 100 million.

Anyway, everyone is facing chip shortages.

PS5 is on a leading edge node (well will be displaced by N5 soon, but for now). The Switch is not.
Supply for older nodes is not quite as constrained as leading edge nodes right now.

Switch has a tiny chip, the PS5 and Xbox Series X have much larger chips, which are less manufacturable.
Switch has much less RAM.

Lots of factors that make the supply situation worse for home consoles vs. the Switch.

Marty-McFly

Banned
PS5 is on a leading edge node (well will be displaced by N5 soon, but for now). The Switch is not.
Supply for older nodes is not quite as constrained as leading edge nodes right now.

Switch has a tiny chip, the PS5 and Xbox Series X have much larger chips, which are less manufacturable.
Switch has much less RAM.

Lots of factors that make the supply situation worse for home consoles vs. the Switch.
These are all valid points but it really makes you wonder how severe the chip shortages really are when Sony was able to produce more PS5's than any console in history up until this point in its launch phase.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned

Ad hominem lol, must be over the target! Also I didn’t realize that the Switch had chip shortages brought on by the plandemic back in 2017, but you do you! Have fun with your alternate history timeline! 🤣

thats-a-bold-move-cotton-gif-5.gif

bender

What time is it?
These are all valid points but it really makes you wonder how severe the chip shortages really are when Sony was able to produce more PS5's than any console in history up until this point in its launch phase.

It only makes you wonder if you are oblivious to worldwide manufacturing constraints inside and outside of the tech industry.

Marty-McFly

Banned
It only makes you wonder if you are oblivious to worldwide manufacturing constraints inside and outside of the tech industry.
Yeah, I'm aware it's a real thing, but how did Sony produce the most launch consoles in history with chip shortages? Do they have clout with the supply chains?

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Ad hominem lol, must be over the target! Also I didn’t realize that the Switch had chip shortages brought on by the plandemic back in 2017, but you do you! Have fun with your alternate history timeline! 🤣

thats-a-bold-move-cotton-gif-5.gif
Obviously, nor was I inferring that. Just they are being affected now like the other console manufacturer's, albeit not to the same extent.

Kagey K

Banned
Only thing certain is I can't walk into a store and buy a PS5.

But I can walk into a store and buy a few Switches.

PS5 is much more popular and sought after.
8 months after the Switch was released you couldn't and that's what they are being compared to.

They are comparing Switch in its 1st 12 months after release to PS5 in its 1st 12 and Sony brought it upon themselves, when they started using fastest selling metrics.

The funny thing is Switch hasn't even rocketed in sales yet. PS is about to get embarrassed by unit sales I'm another 3 or 4 months.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

8 months after the Switch was released you couldn't and that's what they are being compared to.

They are comparing Switch in its 1st 12 months after release to PS5 in its 1st 12 and Sony brought it upon themselves, when they started using fastest selling metrics.

The funny thing is Switch hasn't even rocketed in sales yet. PS is about to get embarrassed by unit sales I'm another 3 or 4 months.
PANDEMIC

Top Bottom