• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max orders "Harry Potter" series - all 7 books will be adapted over a period of 10 years.

daTRUballin

Also the Harry Potter saga doesn't need race swap, just put a better focus on the Patil family, Cho Chang or Kingsley Shacklebolt for example.
Don't forget black characters like Dean Thomas, Lee Jordan and Angelina Johnson too. Harry Potter has always had diverse characters. They just weren't really focused on much in the movies.
I haven't read these books but I can't imagine they were so dense that the movie adaptations didn't do them justice. Something like Dune could use a long form sereis to adapt the books properly. Not this YA basic ass shit.
How would you know that HP is "basic ass shit" if you haven't even read them???

I've seen people that are newcomers to Harry Potter be surprised at how much there is to the story and characters just by watching the movies alone. Now imagine how the books are.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

Got to add the biggest and most annoying thing the movies missed: the calling of the order of the phoenix to arms at the end of goblet of fire. The most import and awesome scene in the book, and they didn’t even film it!
And then there are some scenes that were filmed but ended up as deleted scenes. Like in Deathly Hallows Part 1 when Dudley and Petunia have their redemption when Dudley tells Harry he isn't a waste of space and Petunia acknowledges that she lost a sister. It's such an important moment for the Dursleys and it was deleted. Urrrrrgh!

Dural

And then there are some scenes that were filmed but ended up as deleted scenes. Like in Deathly Hallows Part 1 when Dudley and Petunia have their redemption when Dudley tells Harry he isn't a waste of space and Petunia acknowledges that she lost a sister. It's such an important moment for the Dursleys and it was deleted. Urrrrrgh!

Yeah, I freaking love the movies but there are a lot of little (and big) things that they left out over the 7 books and they add up. They just decided to stop wearing their robes and hats after the first two movies, just dressed like normal private school students. The whole wizards don't know how to dress like muggles completely out the window. Hell, Harry himself isn't portrayed as strong as he is in the books, that's one of my biggest issues throughout the movies.

daTRUballin

Yeah, I freaking love the movies but there are a lot of little (and big) things that they left out over the 7 books and they add up. They just decided to stop wearing their robes and hats after the first two movies, just dressed like normal private school students. The whole wizards don't know how to dress like muggles completely out the window. Hell, Harry himself isn't portrayed as strong as he is in the books, that's one of my biggest issues throughout the movies.
And let's not talk about the way they handled Peter Pettigrew's death scene from the book. In the book, it's a really intense scene where Pettigrew's new silver hand starts strangling him when he hesitates to kill Harry for a second because of the life debt he owes him for sparing his life in PoA. In the movie, he just gets struck by some spell that Dobby fires and the whole scene is played for comedic relief. It's not even clear whether Dobby killed him or knocked him out (probably the latter more likely) because we never see him again after that point.

I get that they didn't really set up the whole life debt thing in Azkaban properly, but they at least could've given his character some sort of proper death scene of some kind. I mean, this is the guy that is responsible for Harry's parents' deaths!

Generic

Warner milking all the nostalgia. I see fans saying "oh but we will finally see so many scenes cut from the movies" but these scenes were mostly subplots and secondary characters anyway.

NickFire

I'm split down the middle on this. Part of me says do something else within the overarching world. Other part of me says they would be insane not to go this route after the success of Hogwarts.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Jeff Sneider revealed that Warner Bros. is prioritising diversity with this adaptation, and adds that there's a "concerted effort" to cast "more people of color" in the show.
Behind the scenes, the expectation is that there will also be an increased number of writers who are also POC.

Finally, Sneider would point out there's a strong chance a Black actress will play Hermione, no great surprise when that's often been the case on stage for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on Broadway and the West End.

It's so patronizing at this point.

iorek21

Jeff Sneider revealed that Warner Bros. is prioritising diversity with this adaptation, and adds that there's a "concerted effort" to cast "more people of color" in the show.
Behind the scenes, the expectation is that there will also be an increased number of writers who are also POC.

Finally, Sneider would point out there's a strong chance a Black actress will play Hermione, no great surprise when that's often been the case on stage for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on Broadway and the West End.

[/URL]
0f8.png

Elysion

Banned
Hermione
Dumbledore
McGonagall
Hagrid
Lupin
Neville
Luna

Each of these major characters has a good chance to be race swapped imo. Not necessarily all of them, but I fully expect at least some of them to be played by poc.

However, these are characters who I‘m 100% certain will not be race swapped:

Sirius (only because of his last name lol)
The Weasleys
Draco
Lucius
Voldemort
Bellatrix
The Dursleys
Fudge
Umbridge

Edit: Obviously, all characters explicitly described as non-white in the books won’t be race-swapped either.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
1) Really hope it is a great show, loved the movies, can't wait for a real trailer, imagine I'll be watching it all!
2) I don't care about race swapping, as long as the characters are enjoyable in their roles and act like their characters should
3) If the woke crowd is banning Harry Potter stuff why even try to appeal to them? I guess it's an issue of money - probably a lot more profitable to be more woke
4) Will this be a repeat of the game? Huge, gigantic efforts to try and to avoid / erase it from the internet (deleting and vote-bombing) yet huge (numbers of people watching) ratings?

Teletraan1

Banned
Of course the first order of business is "Diversity". Go look at Warner Bros financials. They basically need that DIE money or they can't make shit. I really wish they would start with other topics surrounding this franchise and how they will expand upon what the movies provided that are far more interesting than using race swap sloppy seconds as a marketing strategy.

If was her I would hunt down each one of those weirdos over the internet. They reached a point where this is basically a hate campaign.
I'm sure a while back she said something about taking legal action against them. I can't remember the context but I remember thinking about time she defended herself in court.

Yoda

Will heavily depend on who the show runners are. People who stick the the source material will produce the best show.

gow3isben

Step 1: uninvite JK Rowling to the Harry Potter film reunion
Step 2: give JK Rowling tens of millions of dollars to remake the Harry Potter movies
Step 3: profit

Anyway, cool. With competent showrunners it could turn out much better than the originals.

Wasn’t that before this new guy took over? I bet he apologized very eloquently about HBO’s behavior with wads of cash

I do not know what to feel about it, it feels like HP movies ended just a bit back to start making a TV series. Regarding the changes to the cast, well it can break it or make it good (if this is intended for children there will be problems with certain decisions)

As always, my way of thinking is:

Expecting The Worst 90 Day Fiance GIF by TLC

DareDaniel

Banned

[/URL]

Jeff Sneider is the Senior Film Reporter at Collider,

Lol "Collider", say no more. This is how you get those clicks when you have nothing to talk about.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Savage bitch :messenger_tears_of_joy:

...and anyone complaining about racial diversity in Harry Potter should probably understand that this reflects the high degree of multiculturalism that exists in modern day Britain.
All the people that Britain conquered were brought over and welcomed with open arm. Britain is so generous.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
When the first news of pre production is about race swaps and poc writers, actual quality of the content doesn't seem to be a priority.
Further making me believe this is a "outrage" campaign to get more interest/news articles for this show.
HBO themselves don't believe the people responsible can create something that stands on its own. +Now its critic proof. Can't call a show bad if there's representation going on ...

To think that people where outraged when WB called Zach Snyder the "the visionary creator of 300"on Watchman posters... lol, we had it too good back then.

DareDaniel

Banned
This is the only official information so far:

https://www.wizardingworld.com/news/first-ever-harry-potter-television-series-coming-to-max

"J. K. Rowling, who will serve as an Executive Producer said of the news: “Max’s commitment to preserving the integrity of my books is important to me, and I'm looking forward to being part of this new adaptation which will allow for a degree of depth and detail only afforded by a long form television series.”

Everything else is just shit activism.

Top Bottom