• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 4 - Your Vision

I'm with the skippable cutscenes guys.
I played through the damn game three times. I've seen enough Rockstar, thank you.

Also I want the dark city style to return. I didn't have much problems with the Brazilian levels but honestly that's what Max Payne means to me - a cop shooting his way through a dark snowy city in the name of revenge.

Also Max is all out of revenge. Honestly a new game would probably tarnish the legacy unless Sam Lake thinks of something great. Rockstar could never continue it in a way I'd like.
But there was no snow in MP2

no real Max revenge either

They ran out of usable story after the first two games. I didn't give a shit about organ harvesting or whatever. The story really suffered when Max didn't have a personal stake in things. I love the series, but I'm fine with letting the franchise rest indefinitely. If a writer can come up with a story that fits with the tone of the first two game, then by all means.

MP2 was the unnecessary sequel until mp3 came along.

Max not having a personal stake in 3 was actually what made the story somewhat interesting

DocSeuss

But there was no snow in MP2

"A storm" would have been better. The games are defined by storms.

Max not having a personal stake in 3 was actually what made the story somewhat interesting

This is generally considered to be bad writing. In good fiction, our character must want something. Max Payne was "I hate myself" and he never really had anything to truly want. Seriously some of the worst writing in video games today, much like the rest of Rockstar's library.

Also, there needs to be a rival battle against someone as capable as the player. Every good John Woo story has one of those

This is generally considered to be bad writing. In good fiction, our character must want something. Max Payne was "I hate myself" and he never really had anything to truly want. Seriously some of the worst writing in video games today, much like the rest of Rockstar's library.
The bad writing how poorly what he wants is convayed in the game. I don't blame anyone for not noticing what that is here.

FloatOn

This OP is exactly why neogaf is a cut above the rest of the internet.

I agree with everything that was mentioned. The only other thing I would want is for the final battle to take place on the roof of a sky scraper where the bad guy is thrown off of it in the finale.

Die hard style.

dhonk

Ideally it wouldn't exist, Max as a character is over.

Would love MP1 and 2 remakes with a next gen makeover and keep the same voice acting / music.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'd LOVE a Max Payne 3 Remastered.

1080P
Skippable cutscenes
Director/writer commentary
All MP content
60FPS(?)
A couple new weapons thrown in for shits and giggles (grenades!)

I actually was thinking about how much I'd want a Max Payne 3 remaster on PS4 this morning.

As for a Max Payne 4, bring him back to New York. Give us the Unforgiven-era Max Payne, the truly aged one, and see if you can make the gunplay not feel absurd with a ~50 year old Max diving around. I absolutely loved the control of the previous game, but I wonder how much we can age Max before it feels silly.

Have him return to old haunts, bring back a skeleton or two from his closet circa 2000-2003.

Bandit1

MP2 spoilers in case you haven't played:
Winterson's son. After Max shoots Winterson he hears a voicemail she left for Vlad and she mentions her son. Present day he's grown, and puts a hit out on Max Payne, drug dealers and mobsters coming out of the wood work, and slowly Max figures out who the man is that put a hit on him. Keep the gameplay from 3, but let me and OP write it. :p

npa189

In the bin. I really liked 3 but I can't see them making a new one. The story arc has no room left. While I would love another game like it, it should have completely new characters but Health should do the soundtrack, and an obscene about of neon.

"A storm" would have been better. The games are defined by storms.

I'd have the finale of the game take place in New York as an epic storm finally hits it. Rain and snow and wind. Echoes of Ragnarok, but different. Max IS the storm. New York is at the end of the journey. The game ends at daybreak and Max's journey through the night ends.

However, in my game, I don't want Max to go after revenge. I want to give him a mystery to solve. I want him using his cop brain too. I want to see interrogations, him piecing the puzzle together as he is driven forward. I want to see a more heroic Payne than before.

My version of Payne is no longer the alcoholic mess of MP3, but a focused man who has put himself back together and is determined to put his demons to bed. He's not content to lay down and whine and is no longer stuck in the past, but broken free and moving forward.

Also, there needs to be a rival battle against someone as capable as the player. Every good John Woo story has one of those

The bad writing how poorly what he wants is convayed in the game. I don't blame anyone for not noticing what that is here.

I agree, that's why I'd want fewer enemies, but tougher, smarter, and more capable. Every type of enemy would act differently, but human. By the end, the people you're facing are just as capable as Max. I also have some ideas for enemies. So, if Max has bullet time with guns, say the Drive-esque enemy (there's only one) has essentially the same skills, but with cars and shooting out cars. Have a pulse-pounding race in the desert.

This OP is exactly why neogaf is a cut above the rest of the internet.

I agree with everything that was mentioned. The only other thing I would want is for the final battle to take place on the roof of a sky scraper where the bad guy is thrown off of it in the finale.

Die hard style.

That would be awesome, but I have a different finale in mind:
The primary antagonist would be Winterson's son, however Max wouldn't kill him. The final act is for Max to drop the guns and stop the violence and allow Winterson's son the chance to kill him, to see if vengeance will give him peace.

Winterson can't and is left alone in the snow, in despair and mourning.

That said, of course there will be a corporate type who will get thrown out a window.

MP2 spoilers in case you haven't played:
Winterson's son. After Max shoots Winterson he hears a voicemail she left for Vlad and she mentions her son. Present day he's grown, and puts a hit out on Max Payne, drug dealers and mobsters coming out of the wood work, and slowly Max figures out who the man is that put a hit on him. Keep the gameplay from 3, but let me and OP write it. :p

YES! YOU AND I ARE MIND TWINS, THAT WAS THE FINAL TWIST I HAD IN MIND! THAT EXACT SAME TWIST! THAT WAS THE MYSTERY THAT"S DRIVING THE GAME!

tumblr_inline_n369mrI1Sp1sncrgo.gif

I think I'd also have a primary assassin that continually comes after Max, that keeps surviving encounters through the game. Probably use some sort of mythology to describe him. Probably describe him as a sort of owl, use owl motifs, since they're symbols of death in North and South American mythology.

MP3 didn't have any mythology elements to it, so I'd wanna stream some of that through, some Norse, but I wanna use North American mythology as much as possible as Max is journeying across the United States.

rtcn63

No slo mo. No slow walking. No rampant self-loathing. Upgradeable weapons (no find the gold part crap). Make Max an officer of the President of the US. Have him rescue the President's daughter somewhere populated by Spanish-speaking individuals. Tentacles.

Bandit1

YES! YOU AND I ARE MIND TWINS, THAT WAS THE FINAL TWIST I HAD IN MIND! THAT EXACT SAME TWIST! THAT WAS THE MYSTERY THAT"S DRIVING THE GAME!

tumblr_inline_n369mrI1Sp1sncrgo.gif

AWWW YEEEEAAAHH!!! I like the way you think man! I thought it would be effective because his motivation would be very similar to Max's motivation in the first game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure I agree with you about the gameplay. In New Jersey's levels, absolutely. That was pure Max. Simply having a cover system hurt the game. A lot of the maps had rooms too small to do much jumping around in, a sighting system that could end up with bullets hitting geometry, and stuff like that. Last Stand was okay... but no, contrasted with Max Payne 2, Max Payne 3's gameplay had some big problems and a core failure at understanding bullet time.

What it did best was audiovisual feedback. The gameplay itself sucked. It's not as responsive as the first games, for instance. The AI isn't particularly good for a third-person shooter. Most of the maps lack the openness that benefits shoot-dodging. They're too cramped, too tight. The way it looked was next level. It's kinda like FEAR in that regard, except that FEAR has both top-notch feedback and gameplay.

I can't agree with this at all. Yes Max is slower and weightier but there's nothing wrong with that. The combat/gameplay is also especially fierce and actually forces the player to consider their movement. The AIs not super smart but it is agressive and keeps you on your toes. You say a lot of the maps lack the openness that benefits shoot-dodging and that's true to an extent but also a big point of the combat. It just forces you to actually consider where the fuck you are actually diving to. Take notice of the actual environment and it doesn't let you just dive anywhere you want as you get punished harshly for it. There's nothing wrong with that, that doesn't make it bad, it's just different. It just means you don't like it.

You also say how in comparison to Max Payne 2 but Max Payne 3s bullettime was more like 1. In MP1 you still use cover a lot, especially later on in that game. There's just no official 'cover' button but you sure as hell maneouvre your way behind pillars etc to protect yourself. Hell cover is purely their to make a quick decision as to where to move next in MP3. Max Payne 2s bullettime was VERY different to Max Payne 1. Hell I have a friend who hates Max Payne 2 as he considers the bullettime system in that game a downgrade from the first game!

So I definitely disagree with the combat/gameplay being bad in MP3.

AWWW YEEEEAAAHH!!! I like the way you think man! I thought it would be effective because his motivation would be very similar to Max's motivation in the first game.

Exactly! They'd be shadowy reflections of one another. Plus, his disability gives him different skills, so he's a much more cerebral opponent for Max since
Winterson's son is blind, but then that could somehow tie into the 'Land of the blind' thing from the first game somehow.

Bandit1

Exactly! They'd be shadowy reflections of one another. Plus, his disability gives him different skills, so he's a much more cerebral opponent for Max since
Winterson's son is blind, but then that could somehow tie into the 'Land of the blind' thing from the first game somehow.

Uh oh. You're going to be disappointed in me...
I didn't know he was blind! Where does it say that?

Take the gunplay, add the narration as a layer. Screw cinematics. MP3 had terrible, horrendeous pacing because of sutpidly long and pointless cinematics

Uh oh. You're going to be disappointed in me...
I didn't know he was blind! Where does it say that?

I think it was mentioned in MP2 at some point (maybe on an answering machine?) but here's the Max Payne wikia entry:

Valerie Winterson is divorced and a single mother raising her only blind son. She is hinted to have once had a crush on her colleague Max Payne, but later starts seeing another man, doing her best to hide his identity from her co-workers. Her romantic interest proves to be the Russian Mob boss and an Inner Circle member Vladimir Lem. According to her, Lem has been affectionate and caring with her son and is a generous financial donor of the Brooklyn School for the Blind where her son goes to school

I actually think it'd make him a more interesting villain. Hence the insane bounty on Max's head that's driving him back "home".

Woffls

Give it back to Remedy. I have no interest in playing another Max Payne game developed by Rockstar.

I don't remember anything about MP3 other than him looking stupid, so the story can be whatever.

Guy.brush

Revisit the conspiracy plotline of The Inner Circle. Loved how Max went from chasing druggies, to gangsters, mafia and finally black ops.
Washington D.C. could be a cool location. Max as the right man at the wrong place at the wrong time. I wouldn't even mind if the plot would be something outrageous as a sinister coup de etat by Inner Circle forces, Max being close to a corrupt politician, etc...
Maybe even bring back Mona?
MAX PAYNE 3 had this very basic Man on Fire revenge story which was ok, but the feeling of peeling away layers of corruption was not there for me. Always saw Max Payne as having a certain level of satire about the American way of life and the Sao Paulo plotline was not suited that well for that.

Revisit the conspiracy plotline of The Inner Circle. Loved how Max went from chasing druggies, to gangsters, mafia and finally black ops.
Washington D.C. could be a cool location. Max as the right man at the wrong place at the wrong time. I wouldn't even mind if the plot would be something outrageous as a sinister coup de etat by Inner Circle forces, Max being close to a corrupt politician, etc...
Maybe even bring back Mona?
MAX PAYNE 3 had this very basic Man on Fire revenge story which was ok, but the feeling of peeling away layers of corruption was not there for me. Always saw Max Payne as having a certain level of satire about the American way of life and the Sao Paulo plotline was not suited that well for that.

Problem with that is that Vladimir Lem killed the entire Inner Circle before Max killed him. There's no Inner Circle left.

That said, political intrigue is a cool element. Perhaps our shadow villain behind the scenes has political pull.

Bandit1

I think it was mentioned in MP2 at some point (maybe on an answering machine?) but here's the Max Payne wikia entry:

I actually think it'd make him a more interesting villain. Hence the insane bounty on Max's head that's driving him back "home".

Man I can't believe I missed that. But yeah, it would work well with "The land of the blind." Because in a sense, he always had/has eyes on Max, but is only now able to do something about it.

Guy.brush

Problem with that is that Vladimir Lem killed the entire Inner Circle before Max killed him. There's no Inner Circle left.

That said, political intrigue is a cool element. Perhaps our shadow villain behind the scenes has political pull.

Really? I seem to remember there was a post-credits audio thing with a phone call at the end of MAX PAYNE 1 where the wheel chair guy was involved? Something that hinted at a greater conspiracy.

Really? I seem to remember there was a post-credits audio thing with a phone call at the end of MAX PAYNE 1 where the wheel chair guy was involved? Something that hinted at a greater conspiracy.

EDIT: Just looked it up.
In here, the flashback is over, as Payne's three-night rampage is over. The NYPD ESU arrives at the scene, arresting Max and leading him out of the Aesir building, where he sees Alfred Woden standing on the street. Knowing that Woden will ensure his safe passage through the judicial system, Max smiles genuinely, satisfied with avenging his family. Woden himself smiles, satisfied that Nicole Horne has been stopped as the snow storm in the story ceases.

So Alfred Woden is alive eh? What about this plot: (it's a bit like Mark Wahlberg's SHOOTER from 2007)
Alfred Woden has created a candidate for presidency. He needs a man that "protects" his candidate while the society makes the final calls to heave the candidate to presidency. Max reluctantly accepts the job.
The candidate gets assassinated by a female assassin and of course Max is blamed. He is chased by Woden and corrupt elements of the MIC. He needs to find out who framed him and why and uncover the identity behind the mysterious female assassin that killed his client. But what if that is all just the opening in a bigger play by The Circle?

Holdfing

MP2 spoiler ahead.
Am I tripping, or Mona Sax lives if you finish the game on the hardest difficulty? I'm pretty sure she does. Make a sequel based on that ending.
Max Payne 3 was a bad dream anyways.

I would be okay without a sequel though.

But if they go for it in the future, I'd like more gameplay and less cutscenes. Actually, go back to the noir comic thing. I liked it much better.

ecosse_011172

If I could play it without wanting to vomit it would be quite a step forward.
MP3 provoked the worse motion sickness I've ever encountered in gaming :-(

ryuken-d

This is an okay ending for him in my book. But let's just say he came back. He's all gray haired and shit.

The ending was good and I enjoyed it much better on pc than my ps3 but I finished TLOU right before playing MP3 again and all I kept thinking was how I wished it controled more like TLOU, I'm talking about the view from behind the shoulder and zooming in. and of course no more rockstar sluggish GTA controls like max couldnt be nimble to save his life.

ok other than that, I was actually thinking how the hell could they justify taking this poor dude out on another fucked up killing session. fuck it, snake was old in MGS4 and the TLOU dude is old and a few others. he can take it. I'm down.

EDIT: Just looked it up.
In here, the flashback is over, as Payne's three-night rampage is over. The NYPD ESU arrives at the scene, arresting Max and leading him out of the Aesir building, where he sees Alfred Woden standing on the street. Knowing that Woden will ensure his safe passage through the judicial system, Max smiles genuinely, satisfied with avenging his family. Woden himself smiles, satisfied that Nicole Horne has been stopped as the snow storm in the story ceases.

So Alfred Woden is alive eh? What about this plot: (it's a bit like Mark Wahlberg's SHOOTER from 2007)
Alfred Woden has created a candidate for presidency. He needs a man that "protects" his candidate while the society makes the final calls to heave the candidate to presidency. Max reluctantly accepts the job.
The candidate gets assassinated by a female assassin and of course Max is blamed. He is chased by Woden and corrupt elements of the MIC. He needs to find out who framed him and why and uncover the identity behind the mysterious female assassin that killed his client. But what if that is all just the opening in a bigger play by The Circle?

That was the ending of Max Payne 1. Max Payne 2 deals with the rest of the Inner Circle conspiracy and pretty much closes that plotline.

ok other than that, I was actually thinking how the hell could they justify taking this poor dude out on another fucked up killing session. fuck it, snake was old in MGS4 and the TLOU dude is old and a few others. he can take it. I'm down.

It's an indelible part of his nature.

Stick with the same tone as Max Payne3, minus the flickering cut scenes(which I had no problems with, even though many hated it). Loved every bit of Max Payne3, the characters, narrative design, set piece moments, voice acting, bullet time/bullet cam gunplay and the memorable dialogues.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Give it back to Remedy. Have Remedy name it "Max Payne 3" since there was no Max Payne 3. Also mandate no cover-system.

Boom. Done. 20million copies sold. Everyone is happy.

They can go to Brazil or any other country for all I care, but they need to get the Max Payne feeling right. Pax Mayne wasn't it.

Guy.brush

That was the ending of Max Payne 1. Max Payne 2 deals with the rest of the Inner Circle conspiracy and pretty much closes that plotline.

Ah bummer. Somehow the plot of 2 never got burned into my memory like the one in MAX PAYNE. Maybe because of the more fragmented nature?
There could still be a cool political intrigue. A candidate that promises to finally lift NY out of the shitter, Max reluctantly takes the job as security, candidate gets killed, its all foul play and Max is the fall guy.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna throw buzzwords like "reality" and "likelihood" off the top of the Aesir Building and through a plate glass window and repeat what I suggested in another thread.

A) star MonA SaX
B) have all the mechanics from MP3
C) include Human Shields (essentially mobile cover). Like The Punisher but less OP.
D) use an updated Bullet Time 2.0
4) sliding, somersaulting, sod it: wall running. I want more traversal options
F) (controversially) Kung goddamned Fu like
Kenneth Yeung's Kung Fu 3.0 Mod.

...or at least a quick and easy one or two button melee system (hand to hand and weapons) that isn't a QTE or a pistol whip. Let's open up some new combat options.

G) Multiplayer (and associated DLC) that doesn't split up the community with aim-modes and content. Basically, I want Free Aim only and playable levels for free. :)

I thought Max Payne 3 was amazing but Max's story has ran it's course., I just don't see what more you can do with a story with him as the main character without retreading old ground. Make a spirtual successor with a new hero.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Give it back to Remedy. Have Remedy name it "Max Payne 3" since there was no Max Payne 3. Also mandate no cover-system.

Boom. Done. 20million copies sold. Everyone is happy.

They can go to Brazil or any other country for all I care, but they need to get the Max Payne feeling right. Pax Mayne wasn't it.

Max Payne wasn't even a big seller when Remedy made them, what makes you think it would sell big giving it back to them ? Fuck, it would sell LESS nevermind more without Rockstar regardless of game quality.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The Max Relax Simulator

Max chills on the beach, but he really likes to lay in the sand after the tide has receded; it's really nice and cool on a hot day, and mud between his toes makes him giggle. So Max lays out on the beach, and every 30 minutes you can tilt your phone to make Max roll away from the tide. But the tide changes every 2 minutes, so you have to pay $50 for 20 rolls or you lose the game. Made with Frostbite.
#dead

vgJames

Banned
Keep that filter miles away from the game. I liked the idea but the implementation paired with the bright colours constantly gave me headaches.

I have no idea why people are saying they thought Max Payne 3 had good gameplay. No, it didn't - it had a broken, useless cover mechanic, sluggish and unresponsive controls, and a pointless weapon limit. I played Max Payne 3 a month or two ago, and then went back and replayed the first two - seriously, the third game does not even begin to compare to the originals in any fashion, not in terms of gameplay, story, or atmosphere. They both still hold up incredibly well even all these years later.

Then again, as much as I dislike what Rockstar did with the game, I don't know that Remedy could have made a worthy Max Payne sequel either, as Alan Wake was pretty damn underwhelming as well. But do we really need another game with Max? Although I guess it wasn't so conclusive that you couldn't have another game starring him, I though the ending to the second game wrapped up his tale pretty well nonetheless.

Kikarian

As soon as you press start...the credits appear with the text "Max has retired and is currently sun bathing on the beach".

Top Bottom