• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meat and mental health: Meat eaters suffer less depression, anxiety

Kimahri

Banned
No. I always make (or order) a variety of food including different meats and veggie dishes no matter what, and no matter who comes for dinner or a BBQ.

If there's a dietary issue, my food will have you covered anyway. It's just that everything served wont be what you like. But if half the stuff is good enough to eat, be happy. I'm not catering the entire dinner so only what that person wants is served.

What I dont want (and have experienced) are assholes where I got like 7 or 8 different entrees and because 2 or 3 of them are meat, the remaining 4 or 5 isn't good enough for the vegetarians. It'll go something like 2-3 carbs, 2-3 veggie, 2-3 meat.

I'm not ordering or making my entire dinner vegetarian. If a picky eater cant figure out a plate of food from the remaining stuff I have, too bad.
If this happens yo you often, I suggest getting new friends. It's not veganism that's the issue, they're just entitled shits.

dr_octagon

Banned
No. I always make (or order) a variety of food including different meats and veggie dishes no matter what, and no matter who comes for dinner or a BBQ.

If there's a dietary issue, my food will have you covered anyway. It's just that everything served wont be what you like. But if half the stuff is good enough to eat, be happy. I'm not catering the entire dinner so only what that person wants is served.

What I dont want (and have experienced) are assholes where I got like 7 or 8 different entrees and because 2 or 3 of them are meat, the remaining 4 or 5 isn't good enough for the vegetarians. It'll go something like 2-3 carbs, 2-3 veggie, 2-3 meat.

I'm not ordering or making my entire dinner vegetarian. If a picky eater cant figure out a plate of food from the remaining stuff I have, too bad.
tell the cunts another option is to get the fuck out

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If this happens yo you often, I suggest getting new friends. It's not veganism that's the issue, they're just entitled shits.
Best example I had was this.

You know those falafel and kebob/gyro places? They got pretty limited menus to begin with. I ordered this for 20 people. And this was a home party. So it's at my dime. And from ordering experience, chicken is always the safest meat to order compared to beef or pork.

- Rice
- It comes with big pieces of bread
- Salad (the basic garden salad that comes with the package)
- Potatoes
- Falafel (for people who dont know, it's ground up chick peas deep fried into the size of a golf ball)
- Chicken

The key menu items I didn't order were beef, lamb and they probably had a couple different salad variations. These places always have a quinoa kind of salad.

One ass asked if there's any more vegetarian entrees I ordered. I just told her that's all I ordered. She wasnt impressed. Well fuck, I basically ordered every non-meat thing they had except some other salads. I dont care, load up on falafel. OK, I didn't order baklava either.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
It's a basic level of courtesy, someone has invited you to their house and providing food but they decide to behave in a disrespectful manner.

Some of the nicest food I've eaten has been veggie, having decent company is also important.

Kimahri

Banned
Best example I had was this.

You know those falafel and kebob/gyro places? They got pretty limited menus to begin with. I ordered this for 20 people. And this was a home party. So it's at my dime. And from ordering experience, chicken is always the safest meat to order compared to beef or pork.

- Rice
- It comes with big pieces of bread
- Salad (the basic garden salad that comes with the package)
- Potatoes
- Falafel (for people who dont know, it's ground up chick peas deep fried into the size of a golf ball)
- Chicken

The key menu items I didn't order were beef, lamb and they probably had a couple different salad variations. These places always have a quinoa kind of salad.

One ass asked if there's any more vegetarian entrees I ordered. I just told her that's all I ordered. She wasnt impressed. Well fuck, I basically ordered every non-meat thing they had except some other salads. I dont care, load up on falafel. OK, I didn't order baklava either.
If people need to nitpick over such nonsense, it's a good sign they're people you don't need in your life.

That sounds like a great meal. Anyone should be happy. I've been invited to dinners where all I could eat were potatoes. Disappointing, for me, but I'm still polite, say nothing and eat my potatoes, maybe instead make a mental note of being busy next time I'm invited. If you're not gonna be happy eating somewhere, don't go. And don't stink up the place for others. But some people are just not wired that way. If it wasn't veggies, there would be something else, somewhere else they'd be bitching about.

I knew getting meat in my mouth made me happier
dude-hot-dog.gif

Soodanim

Gold Member
There’s ethical vegans and there’s dietary vegans.

Dietary vegans have simply cut out meat and animals products for their own reasons. It could be for gut biome health or because they have some sort of intolerance. This type seems to be less common. I’d guess this type has more chance of a balanced diet, because it is a need rather than a want so more likely to come with professional help. They probably won’t bring it up out of context.

Ethical vegans are going to be more likely to let you know what they are and why, because they’re doing it because they feel strongly about it and that inevitably leaks out if they get a sense of moral superiority from it. They are also most likely to to be emotionally attached to the state of the environment, which will likely be why rates of depression are higher (from a social perspective).

I keep hearing that despite it being a common vegan thing, most people are deficient in B12.

I couldn’t be vegan, I like pizzas too much and common vegan cheeses made from coconut oil are terrible. I also don’t like mushrooms, which are an incredibly common vegan food. Mushrooms left in sunlight will be naturally high in B12, for example.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Don't vegetarians need to add dietary supplements to compensate for the lack of meat to the point that some foodstuff is just fortified by the manufacturers?

We need to eat meat although the current levels of consumption in developed nations are probably unnecessary.
I never did while I was vegan (for five years). Like I said, I felt better than I ever did, and not to be gross, but my dumps were so pleasant -- no fudge, no endless wipes, no squirts. I think perhaps a lot of vegans don't cook their food, so they miss out on beans and other solid sources of vegan protein. I was only eating whole foods, none of that vegan-burger/nuggests crap.

Honestly, if I could resist the temptation of Boar's Head cracked pepper turkey or sardines and rice, I might consider going back to full veganism again.

Wildebeest

Mushrooms left in sunlight will be naturally high in B12, for example.

It is Vitamin D that mushrooms can be enriched with, and then only on the skin of the mushroom. Even sources that recommend vegan food sources for b12 rely very heavily on food that has b12 added somewhere in the process. Why not just take the supplements, they are super high dose and cheap as chips.

Kimahri

Banned
I never did while I was vegan (for five years). Like I said, I felt better than I ever did, and not to be gross, but my dumps were so pleasant -- no fudge, no endless wipes, no squirts. I think perhaps a lot of vegans don't cook their food, so they miss out on beans and other solid sources of vegan protein. I was only eating whole foods, none of that vegan-burger/nuggests crap.

Honestly, if I could resist the temptation of Boar's Head cracked pepper turkey or sardines and rice, I might consider going back to full veganism again.

Lol, this is so true.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I never did while I was vegan (for five years).

You might have not, but it's still necessary for your body.

The NHS (the british national health system) only lists 3 sources for B12 for vegans and they're all fortified, that means the B12 is extracted somewhere else and mixed in with the food.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It is Vitamin D that mushrooms can be enriched with, and then only on the skin of the mushroom. Even sources that recommend vegan food sources for b12 rely very heavily on food that has b12 added somewhere in the process. Why not just take the supplements, they are super high dose and cheap as chips.
Good catch. It’s been a while since I looked into this stuff.

GeekyDad

You might have not, but it's still necessary for your body.

The NHS (the british national health system) only lists 3 sources for B12 for vegans and they're all fortified, that means the B12 is extracted somewhere else and mixed in with the food.
Ah, yeah. I never really thought about that. I always did use almond milk for my cereal, and then, I think the cereal was also probably fortified. Still, you're getting the B12. Meh...

EDIT: Also, an interesting video snippet from a guy I've been subbed to for a number of years.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Ah, yeah. I never really thought about that. I always did use almond milk for my cereal, and then, I think the cereal was also probably fortified. Still, you're getting the B12. Meh...

A thing with these fortification things and %DV recommendation is that they are there to stop extreme deficiency. There are no health guidelines for "sufficiency" or amount you need for good health (including more poorly understood things like mental health or feeling of wellbeing). Though if you took high dose b12 supplements you might have pooped a lot more freely, which it sounds like you are not a fan of.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

EDIT: Also, an interesting video snippet from a guy I've been subbed to for a number of years.

From some google searching, that video appears to be misleading.

I found this article with sources cited, that says the only factor in determining b12 health in ruminants is the consumption of cobalt, which is fully compatible with drip feeding (the traditional alternative is a blue salt block): https://praisetheruminant.com/ruminations/is-it-true-that-cows-need-supplemental-vitamin-b12
Wikipedia was consulted and also reported that cobalt, alongside copper are the determinants.

Just saying, sometimes people have agendas. And the facts do not support his discourse.

And heck, I do agree we could use less meat in our diets... it's absurd that you can cheaply have meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner... and the resulting animal and human conditions of those working for these companies can and should be improved. But saying "cows can't eat poo therefore modern cattle industry = bad for you" doesn't help the cause.

JCK75

I gotta be honest - if you pass up on bacon, steaks and burgers it has to be a sad life.
I mean I guess there is the idea that you are not partaking in the killing of animals, but I like to be the guy that reminds you how many foxes, rabbits, mice and groundhogs are slaughtered and left to rot by the harvesters that provide your corn and soy... at least with beef every single part is used and not just left in a field to rot.

Tams

Why do you guys hate vegetarians so much? I don't eat meat and I've never forced my dietary habits on anyone, I don't even discuss it. And if it does come up during a lunch or something, it's usually the other side trying preach ("I believe that humans are meant to eat meat" etc. etc). I don't give a shit what you think, chew your stake, leave me alone. I haven't had meat in the last 3 years and I haven't seen any difference in my mood, one way or another.
Meat eaters rarely bother preaching. Why would they bother when it's the norm?

But they do sometimes react when a needy vegetarian/vegan makes their life difficult (often due to making it very well known that they don't eat meat and why).

Wildebeest

But they do sometimes react when a needy vegetarian/vegan makes their life difficult (often due to making it very well known that they don't eat meat and why).
People act however they want. You think meat eaters don't start preaching to random vegetarians who are doing nothing to them just because they exist, and they want to get an easy win under their belt? Wrong.

Kimahri

Banned
Could say the same for meat since livestock are given supplements due to low levels. I
People act however they want. You think meat eaters don't start preaching to random vegetarians who are doing nothing to them just because they exist, and they want to get an easy win under their belt? Wrong.
Which ironically is far more common. The amount of times I've been lectured on the importance of meat and how someone can never stop eating bacon just because they saw I was reading some vegan recipe or eating /choosing vegan meal is some dumb shit.

Leave me the fuck alone. Funny thing is, I know for a fact some of these dumb asses have gone on to other's and slammed me as preachy, when they approached me, they were the agitators, and I remained calm and said nothing about their dietary choices.

Wildebeest

Leave me the fuck alone. Funny thing is, I know for a fact some of these dumb asses have gone on to other's and slammed me as preachy, when they approached me, they were the agitators, and I remained calm and said nothing about their dietary choices.
Yeah, you really need to Russian dash cam these people before you believe a single word of how they thought things went down.

Razorback

Could say the same for meat since livestock are given supplements due to low levels. I

Which ironically is far more common. The amount of times I've been lectured on the importance of meat and how someone can never stop eating bacon just because they saw I was reading some vegan recipe or eating /choosing vegan meal is some dumb shit.

I'm not vegan but It's my experience that this narrative that vegans are annoying and preachy sounds a lot like projecting to me. I've never been judged by a vegan or vegetarion, but many of my friends love to shit on them. This thread seems like a pretty standard example of what I'm talking about.

Maybe it's cognitive bias fabricating a story that makes it ok to farm and kill billions of conscious animals every year just to satisfy their taste buds.

Kimahri

Banned
I'm not vegan but It's my experience that this narrative that vegans are annoying and preachy sounds a lot like projecting to me. I've never been judged by a vegan or vegetarion, but many of my friends love to shit on them. This thread seems like a pretty standard example of what I'm talking about.

Maybe it's cognitive bias fabricating a story that makes it ok to farm and kill billions of conscious animals every year just to satisfy their taste buds.
Thank you! It's nice to hear my experience echoed from the other side of the fence, so to speak.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Meat eater goes to any lunch, dinner or party:

"This place looks great! Menu looks sweet!"
"Hey host, thanks for inviting us all over!"
"Whomever is ordering pizza, ya order whatever"

Non-meat eater:

"Excuse me, does your menu have vegetarian options? That's it? 3 vegetarian entrees? I'm freaking out.... heart pulsating, sweating, OMG my selection is limited!"
"Hey host, I cant eat half the stuff you are making, can you next time make more veggie stuff for me even though I'm the only vegetarian here?"
"Before any of you order pizza, can I choose my own pizza? What? You already ordered and none are vegetarian? [Getting hyper]So what am I going to eat? No Brad, picking off the pepperoni isnt the same thing!"
Just wanna say I commend vegetarians in a way, but this is hilarious.

Whenever I host a gathering/party and a guest asks if I have a vegetarian friendly option, I point at the $9.99 walmart veggie platter I always get.

Mato

Why look at this thread. It's full of unprovoked and patronizing preaching, ridicule and snickering. And then you go on to reveal your opinion of a person who doesn't eat meat, based on a false, one-dimensional stock character.

Raven117

Anthony Bourdain already has explained why this is true.

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food.
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit.

As for me...I don't give a flying eff what a person does or doesn't eat. Its not my problem.

I do think there is something primal, something more ancient, about gathering around a fire/table eating meat/game that envelops the human soul like nothing else. Nobody in the course of human history has said, "gather close, gather everyone, and lets feast on these grilled eggplants."

But, again, if someone has an issue with all of that. okay.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why look at this thread. It's full of unprovoked and patronizing preaching, ridicule and snickering. And then you go on to reveal your opinion of a person who doesn't eat meat, based on a false, one-dimensional stock character.
Maybe.

But to be fair there's no way you can say a vegetarian or vegan isnt a lot more picky, and sometimes a pain in the ass when it comes to food. If they want to be picky on their time with their own meals thats fine.

Just have some respect for others when they are the ones hosting and paying for the food. Eat what is served. If it means strictly the veggie stuff, or forcing yourself to eat some chicken or an egg to be polite, do what you want, but dont make a scene and respect what is given.

One more thing Ive noticed out of all the parties and dinners I've been invited to when the host goes all out best they can. It's never a vegetarian or vegan. Everyone hosting is a meat eater and will have a selection of carbs, veggies and meat. Even when I host, I prefer all carbs and meat if I could but I know some people want veggies so I got to buy some for sake of a wide variety of food.

I've never seen a vegetarian host, and say come on over and we'll go out of our way to make or buy some chicken and beef for all you meat eaters even though we wont touch it.

So even on that front, there's little respect. If people invite you over, sometimes you got to invite people back so you arent seen as a taker.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Anthony Bourdain already has explained why this is true.

As for me...I don't give a flying eff what a person does or doesn't eat. Its not my problem.

I do think there is something primal, something more ancient, about gathering around a fire/table eating meat/game that envelops the human soul like nothing else. Nobody in the course of human history has said, "gather close, gather everyone, and lets feast on these grilled eggplants."

But, again, if someone has an issue with all of that. okay.
I'm not quite sure you want to use Anthony Bourdain as to why this is true. Considering the title of the thread and his tragic outcome.

Comparing a group of people who want to practice what they believe is an ethical philosophy of not doing harm onto all living things; to a terrorist organization, then to go on and say "everything that is good and decent"... well, yeah.

It may feel good to read that because it's confirmation bias or reinforcement to ones own lifestyle, but a cunt statement is still a cunt statement.

Those statements remind me of this,
ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif

Raven117

I'm not quite sure you want to use Anthony Bourdain as to why this is true. Considering the title of the thread and his tragic outcome.

Comparing a group of people who want to practice what they believe is an ethical philosophy of not doing harm onto all living things; to a terrorist organization, then to go on and say "everything that is good and decent"... well, yeah.

It may feel good to read that because it's confirmation bias or reinforcement to ones own lifestyle, but a cunt statement is still a cunt statement.

Those statements remind me of this,
ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif
Jokes, how do they work?

He was being facetious and so was I in quoting him.

I don’t care if someone wants to eat meat or not. I derive a lot of pleasure (and nutrition) in doing so and so do many other people. If some one doesn’t like it or want to. Cool.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Just have some respect for others when they are the ones hosting and paying for the food. Eat what is served. If it means strictly the veggie stuff, or forcing yourself to eat some chicken or an egg to be polite, do what you want, but dont make a scene and respect what is given.
this is basically what i do, just eat whatever vegetables they have, and i still eat dairy and eggs so i can usually find something that works. ill also eat a little before hand just in case they dont have much. but i dont request they make me anything special or that they cater to everyone. my family always goes out of there way to try and accomodate and i just say "dont worry about me ill find something" and i usually do. its never been a problem for me

oh and i havent eaten meat in almost 3 years and i dont have any more or less depresseion or anxiety than i did when i used to eat meat. not saying the study isnt true, but its definitely not true for this guy

manfestival

Yep. I like to order a double roast beef from arbys after lifting and it feels amazing. (The bread cancels out some of the benefit but thats fast food for ya, its not a health recommendation lol)
I usually just throw out one of the pieces of bread. I tend to order the super after lifting.

Kimahri

Banned
Maybe.

But to be fair there's no way you can say a vegetarian or vegan isnt a lot more picky, and sometimes a pain in the ass when it comes to food. If they want to be picky on their time with their own meals thats fine.

One more thing Ive noticed out of all the parties and dinners I've been invited to when the host goes all out best they can. It's never a vegetarian or vegan. Everyone hosting is a meat eater and will have a selection of carbs, veggies and meat. Even when I host, I prefer all carbs and meat if I could but I know some people want veggies so I got to buy some for sake of a wide variety of food.

I've never seen a vegetarian host, and say come on over and we'll go out of our way to make or buy some chicken and beef for all you meat eaters even though we wont touch it.

So even on that front, there's little respect. If people invite you over, sometimes you got to invite people back so you arent seen as a taker.
Are you serious? You want/expect vegetarians to provide meat at a dinner party? Do you not comprehend why people are vegetarian?

The respectful thing is to provide good food everyone present can eat and enjoy, and not be an impolite dick if there isn't anything you enjoy.

To want people to bend their moral fabric to cater to petulant bullshit is some of the most inane shit I've read in a long time.

People mostly stop eating meat because they think killing animals is wrong. They're not gonna financially support said killing just to cater to your narrow palate.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I derive a lot of pleasure (and nutrition) in doing so and so do many other people.
And with that, those who practice that lifestyle's philosophy; is that the life of the sentient being is worth more than 15 minutes of taste bud pleasure.

Last edited:

Ownage

I usually just throw out one of the pieces of bread. I tend to order the super after lifting.
I hear you and enjoy it occasionally too, but realize how much sodium is in that meat. It's absurd. My body sometimes rejects high sodium content if I've been clean from moderate to high doses over a period of time. I hate that kickback.

Raven117

And with that, those who practice that lifestyle's philosophy; is that the life of the sentient being is worth more than 15 minutes of taste bud pleasure.
Yup. It 100% is.

(and nutrition....we are programmed to like meat due to its nutritional value, and our sense of pleasure from eating meat supports this).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Are you serious? You want/expect vegetarians to provide meat at a dinner party? Do you not comprehend why people are vegetarian?

The respectful thing is to provide good food everyone present can eat and enjoy, and not be an impolite dick if there isn't anything you enjoy.

To want people to bend their moral fabric to cater to petulant bullshit is some of the most inane shit I've read in a long time.

People mostly stop eating meat because they think killing animals is wrong. They're not gonna financially support said killing just to cater to your narrow palate.
Now you know how meat eaters feel when they get hassled for veggie stuff even though no party is ever 100% all meat dishes to begin with. If I could, I'd just have all boring carbs and piles of meat.

If we can be respectful and provide veggie entrees (even if we think it's a waste of money), it would be great if vegetarians do the same back and have some chicken or ribs at their parties (which they never seem to host anyway).

As you said, respect good food for everyone. So if most people eat meat to begin with, it's not a life crisis to have a plate of pork or chicken. Nobody is forcing the vegetarian host to eat it. Just like when I host and have salad, I don't touch it half the time either.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Now you know how meat eaters feel when they get hassled for veggie stuff even though no party is ever 100% all meat dishes to begin with. If I could, I'd just have all boring carbs and piles of meat.

If we can be respectful and provide veggie entrees (even if we think it's a waste of money), it would be great if vegetarians do the same back and have some chicken or ribs at their parties (which they never seem to host anyway).

As you said, respect good food for everyone. So if most people eat meat to begin with, it's not a life crisis to have a plate of pork or chicken. Nobody is forcing the vegetarian host to eat it. Just like when I host and have salad, I don't touch it half the time either.
Now I know? Don't act like you know anything about how I behave in company. I don't hassle anyone.

The issue here is that you display a complete lack of understanding for why people make choices.

You don't ask a vegan to provide meat at a dinner the same way you don't ask a muslim to provide bacon, or a sober person to provide alcohol.

If you have a problem providing for people who want to on eat vegetables, don't invite them to your party. It's very easy.

Raven117

If you have a problem providing for people who want to on eat vegetables, don't invite them to your party. It's very easy.
Heck no. They are invited. The menu is what the menu is, and they are more than welcome to bring anything else they wish. I'm sure something at the joint will not have meat in it if they don't wish to bring anything else.

I don't have to cater to their life style choices, they don't have to cater to mine. But that doesn't mean they aren't welcome.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Now I know? Don't act like you know anything about how I behave in company. I don't hassle anyone.

The issue here is that you display a complete lack of understanding for why people make choices.

You don't ask a vegan to provide meat at a dinner the same way you don't ask a muslim to provide bacon, or a sober person to provide alcohol.

I dont have a problem with them. I still order or make veggie dishes to cater to them because I'm a respectable guy. If I wanted to I could just have carbs and meat.

No different then having a fridge full of booze, non-alcoholic, and bottles of water. And also spirits on the counter. There's something for everyone because everyone drinks different things. But if I have only two kinds of beer in my fridge, too bad beer guzzler I'm not buying 6 different brands. And if someone doesnt drink booze, I might have 3 kinds of pop in the fridge (I like pop myself). But I'm not buying 6 different kinds. If all I have is boring Coke and 7Up, well thats all there is. Take your pick.

You get what you get. Problem is vegetarians and vegans can be picky as shit even though probably at least half the food there is edible. I'm not making my entire dinner vegetarian.

When was the last time you saw a meat lover say "I wish you ordered more meat and scrapped the veggies". Never. We just eat what's there. If I have to be polite and take some salad with balsamic vinegar which I dont care about ever, we'll do it. Man up.

Problem s vegetarians and vegans dont cater back to meat eaters. Not that it matters to them anyway because how often have you ever had vegetarian/vegan friends host a party? Probably not too often if ever.

Last edited:

Raven117

Problem s vegetarians and vegans dont cater back to meat eaters. Not that it matters to them anyway because how often have you ever had vegetarian/vegan friends host a party? Probably not too often if ever.
You don't understand....its a mOrALe choice.

(All you have to do nowadays is say something is moral or that you personally believe it or its your truth, and you can get away with anything).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You don't understand....its a mOrALe choice.

(All you have to do nowadays is say something is moral or that you personally believe it or its your truth, and you can get away with anything).
The entitlement part comes when you see them snub their nose at the food. That's some respect for the host. As I said before, Ive seen t myself at work and at my parties. Well, fuck you. At least I'm hosting and even invited you. I'm the one paying. Show some class.

I have never ever seen a company function or dinner party or even a BBQ which was 100% meat. There's always carbs and veggies. But somehow thats not enough sometimes. If there's 7 things to eat and 3 are meat, well too bad. You can only eat the remaining 4 things. Dont complain the meat eaters have extra entrees to pick from.

Kimahri

Banned
Heck no. They are invited. The menu is what the menu is, and they are more than welcome to bring anything else they wish. I'm sure something at the joint will not have meat in it if they don't wish to bring anything else.

I don't have to cater to their life style choices, they don't have to cater to mine. But that doesn't mean they aren't welcome.

I don't think you quite get my point. 9 out of 10 vegans would rather not be invited to a party they're not really wanted at, than to be invited out of some misplaced sense of obligation. Believe it or not, the vast majority of vegans are not concetned with thid stuff.

I dont have a problem with them. I still order or make veggie dishes to cater to them because I'm a respectable guy. If I wanted to I could just have carbs and meat.

No different then having a fridge full of booze, non-alcoholic, and bottles of water. And also spirits on the counter. There's something for everyone because everyone drinks different things. But if I have only two kinds of beer in my fridge, too bad beer guzzler I'm not buying 6 different brands. And if someone doesnt drink booze, I might have 3 kinds of pop in the fridge (I like pop myself). But I'm not buying 6 different kinds. If all I have is boring Coke and 7Up, well thats all there is. Take your pick.

You get what you get. Problem is vegetarians and vegans can be picky as shit even though probably at least half the food there is edible. I'm not making my entire dinner vegetarian.

When was the last time you saw a meat lover say "I wish you ordered more meat and scrapped the veggies". Never. We just eat what's there. If I have to be polite and take some salad with balsamic vinegar which I dont care about ever, we'll do it. Man up.

You clearly do, otherwise you wouldn't bitch and moan about them at length.

I don't really care to listen to you repeat yourself (again) on what a great host you are. I've already adressed table manners. The thing I responded to now was you suggested veggies should provide meat for meat eaters. And you ignored that in favor of more "I'm the greatest host".

I don't think I'm gonna waste more time on this, as long as you've made it clear that what is convictions to some, is just entitlement to you.

Raven117

The entitlement part comes when you see them snub their nose at the food. That's some respect for the host. As I said before, Ive seen t myself at work and at my parties. Well, fuck you. At least I'm hosting and even invited you. I'm the one paying. Show some class.

I have never ever seen a company function or dinner party or even a BBQ which was 100% meat. There's always carbs and veggies. But somehow thats not enough sometimes. If there's 7 things to eat and 3 are meat, well too bad. You can only eat the remaining 4 things. Dont complain the meat eaters have extra entrees to pick from.
That's fine. They can whomever it is they choose to be. We will all judge them not because of their decision to be vegetarian/vegan, but because of them being ungracious guests.

Raven117

I don't think you quite get my point. 9 out of 10 vegans would rather not be invited to a party they're not really wanted at, than to be invited out of some misplaced sense of obligation. Believe it or not, the vast majority of vegans are not concetned with thid stuff.
Of course they would be welcome. You can't sit here and tell me that 9 out of 10 vegans would rather not be at a gathering among friends just because there is meat being served. If so, then that is a problem within the vegan community and would be a huge reason why the rest of us blood-drinkers think they are insane. (But I know this is not the case).

I would 100% invite (hell, I have even dated, a vegan) vegans to my party because I enjoy their company. The food, while can bring a commonality to folks, is secondary to good company.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

You clearly do, otherwise you wouldn't bitch and moan about them at length.

I don't really care to listen to you repeat yourself (again) on what a great host you are. I've already adressed table manners. The thing I responded to now was you suggested veggies should provide meat for meat eaters. And you ignored that in favor of more "I'm the greatest host".

I don't think I'm gonna waste more time on this, as long as you've made it clear that what is convictions to some, is just entitlement to you.
If you dont think vegans want to go to parties 9 out of 10 times thinking they arent wanted. Thats not true. I invite friends and fam, even if some dont eat meat. Its there call if they want to show up, but dont show up and complain about meat entrees or bread made with milk and eggs. You cant be entitled enough to think a host will purposely make 100% vegetarian food for the 3 people out of 30 who come.

Nobody cares if a vegetarian eats nothing or some or all of it. Nobody watches what everyone puts on their plate. But dont complain.

Believe it or not, it's actually not hard being a host. All you got to do is clean the house before people show up and have a wide variety of food and drink so everyone can eat something. As I said, I'm not making my entire dinner vegetarian so ungrateful smarmy vegetarians can complain about not having enough to eat.

You still don't understand. Respect the host. It's not like people order food or make dinners that are 100% BBQ beef burgers. Dont whine or complain there's not enough veggie and carb dishes available There always is.

If someone doesn't want to eat meat at the company function or someone's party, then skip that entree and move to the next platter of food. I dont even eat everything there and I'm the one who ordered the food! There will be something you can eat. As I said if there's 7 or 8 things to eat, and lets say 3 are meat. You still got 4-5 things to pick from. So dont complain. You never see a meat eater complain about wanting all roast beef or chicken in their food.

Like it or not. Grow up.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Of course they would be welcome. You can't sit here and tell me that 9 out of 10 vegans would rather not be at a gathering among friends just because there is meat being served. If so, then that is a problem within the vegan community and would be a huge reason why the rest of us blood-drinkers think they are insane. (But I know this is not the case).

I would 100% invite (hell, I have even dated, a vegan) vegans to my party because I enjoy their company. The food, while can bring a commonality to folks, is secondary to good company.
That is different. If they're your friends and you want them there, of course, invite them.

But read this thread, it's basically "them pesky vegans, the thread". When people think it's a chore catrring to you, you can tell. No matter how hard you try to hide it.

Example, at my wedding we made sure to check all our guests dietary concerns. One of our guests has celiac disease. We then arranged acvordingly since we're very varied anyways. We made all food gluten free, and we marked all the food with possible allergens just in case. After the party she approached us just to let us know how nice it was to for once being able to just eat freely, and not have that special meal made just for her while everyone else eats the "real" meal.

The point I'm making is basically just, there is so much delicious food out there that everyone can enjoy, and it's not really much if any extra work. And company is so much better when everyone's happy and enjoying themselves.

Being invited to a party where there isn't mucj for you to eat, is kinda like being invited, then to just be placed in a corner alone. It's kinda sad.

This is, of course provided you're in a sitiation where, say, the host made lasagna, and all you can eat is the salad. Get my meaning?

Top Bottom