• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meat and mental health: Meat eaters suffer less depression, anxiety

Kimahri

Banned
Believe it or not, it's actually not hard being a host. All you got to do is clean the house before people show up and have a wide variety of food and drink so everyone can eat something. As I said, I'm not making my entire dinner vegetarian so ungrateful smarmy vegetarians can complain about not having enough to eat.

You still don't understand. Respect the host. It's not like people order food or make dinners that are 100% BBQ beef burgers. Dont whine or complain there's not enough veggie and carb dishes available There always is.

If someone doesn't want to eat meat at the company function or someone's party, then skip that entree and move to the next platter of food. There will be something you can eat. As I said if there's 7 or 8 things to eat, and lets say 3 are meat. You still got 4-5 things to pick from. So dont complain. You never see a meat eater complain about wanting all roast beef or chicken in their food.

Like it or not. Grow up.
Why do you keep repeating this shit instead of responding to what I'm actually saying? I know how to host, I know how to be respectful. I don't need your help.

So stop acting holier than though, answer the things I'm actually questioning, or take your own advice and grow the hell up.

Raven117

That is different. If they're your friends and you want them there, of course, invite them.

But read this thread, it's basically "them pesky vegans, the thread". When people think it's a chore catrring to you, you can tell. No matter how hard you try to hide it.

Example, at my wedding we made sure to check all our guests dietary concerns. One of our guests has celiac disease. We then arranged acvordingly since we're very varied anyways. We made all food gluten free, and we marked all the food with possible allergens just in case. After the party she approached us just to let us know how nice it was to for once being able to just eat freely, and not have that special meal made just for her while everyone else eats the "real" meal.

The point I'm making is basically just, there is so much delicious food out there that everyone can enjoy, and it's not really much if any extra work. And company is so much better when everyone's happy and enjoying themselves.

Being invited to a party where there isn't mucj for you to eat, is kinda like being invited, then to just be placed in a corner alone. It's kinda sad.

This is, of course provided you're in a sitiation where, say, the host made lasagna, and all you can eat is the salad. Get my meaning?
So, at your own wedding you had a gluten free wedding cake because one of your guests had celiac disease? Up to you, your wedding. But I think that is insane. She may have thanked you, but I wonder how many others thought the food sucked because of it? (They would never tell you otherwise to your face). (Most wedding food sucks).

This last post I think so purely illustrates the point of why people think vegetarian/vegan people are insufferable when it comes to this.

I don’t give a flying fuck what anyone eats. If it’s my party, I’m going to make or order what I think addresses the majority of folks dietary preferences. Regardless of preference including vegetarian.

What someone chooses to eat is not my problem. They want to not eat something because it violates their moral choice…. Cool.

It’s also not my problem that they choose to not partake in the ritual of eating meat which is widely regarded world wide as such that makes them feel “unwelcome.” It’s their choice, it’s their cross they decided to hop up on. Their decision, I won’t go out of my way to make their choices harder on them, but I won’t go out of my way to make it easier.

They get to live with their choices. As do I.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That is different. If they're your friends and you want them there, of course, invite them.

But read this thread, it's basically "them pesky vegans, the thread". When people think it's a chore catrring to you, you can tell. No matter how hard you try to hide it.

Example, at my wedding we made sure to check all our guests dietary concerns. One of our guests has celiac disease. We then arranged acvordingly since we're very varied anyways. We made all food gluten free, and we marked all the food with possible allergens just in case. After the party she approached us just to let us know how nice it was to for once being able to just eat freely, and not have that special meal made just for her while everyone else eats the "real" meal.

The point I'm making is basically just, there is so much delicious food out there that everyone can enjoy, and it's not really much if any extra work. And company is so much better when everyone's happy and enjoying themselves.

Being invited to a party where there isn't mucj for you to eat, is kinda like being invited, then to just be placed in a corner alone. It's kinda sad.

This is, of course provided you're in a sitiation where, say, the host made lasagna, and all you can eat is the salad. Get my meaning?
A medical issue is a totally different thing. And gluten vs. non-gluten nobody is going to notice. But meat vs veggies people will.

Just like when my nieces and nephews who have nut allergies, I make sure any food I serve them when they come over has zero nuts or else if they eat it they have to jab that giant needle in their leg. I never even remember which nuts, but to play safe I make sure there's zero nuts around them even though I like eating cashews and beer buts.

Youre example is totally skewed too. You bring up a meat lasagna and salad dinner. Two foods served. That's a totally different situation than a wide range of meat and veggie and carb dishes served at big function or party where there's much more than two served.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
A medical issue is a totally different thing. And gluten vs. non-gluten nobody is going to notice. But meat vs veggies people will.

Just like when my nieces and nephews who have nut allergies, I make sure any food I serve them when they come over has zero nuts or else if they eat it they have to jab that giant needle in their leg. I never even remember which nuts, but to play safe I make sure there's zero nuts around them even though I like eating cashews and beer buts.

Youre example is totally skewed too. You bring up a meat lasagna and salad dinner. Two foods served. That's a totally different situation than a wide range of meat and veggie and carb dishes served at big function or party where there's much more than two served.
For the third time, I've already responded to your personal dinner example and I told you then, and I'll tell you again that complaining when provided to is disrespectful.

I'm not talking about you.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So, at your own wedding you had a gluten free wedding cake because one of your guests had celiac disease? Up to you, your wedding. But I think that is insane. She may have thanked you, but I wonder how many others thought the food sucked because of it? (They would never tell you otherwise to your face). (Most wedding food sucks).

This last post I think so purely illustrates the point of why people think vegetarian/vegan people are insufferable when it comes to this.

I don’t give a flying fuck what anyone eats. If it’s my party, I’m going to make or order what I think addresses the majority of folks dietary preferences. Regardless of preference including vegetarian.

What someone chooses to eat is not my problem. They want to not eat something because it violates their moral choice…. Cool.

It’s also not my problem that they choose to not partake in the ritual of eating meat which is widely regarded world wide as such that makes them feel “unwelcome.” It’s their choice, it’s their cross they decided to hop up on. Their decision, I won’t go out of my way to make their choices harder on them, but I won’t go out of my way to make it easier.

Exactly.

Next time I go a vegetarian's place, the host should be a good person and serve me chicken. Why not? I dont want to eat veggies and bread the whole time. Even just one meat dish is fine.

It's the exact same thing back, but no vegetarian/vegan ever is considerate to cater to guests who like meat.

However, I know what they have in the fridge will be vegetarian. So chances of me getting pork chops is zero. So to be respectful, if it's carbs and veggies, then I'll eat it.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned

Why is it insane? Some people just enjoy making food and skewing away from something is easy.

Food was delicious though, and people still, years later, tell us what a great wedding it was.

i like meat, but tend to lean more towards fish/seafood: crab/lobster, salmon, white fish, mussels, clams, oysters, crawfish

i dont like lamb and pork
turkey is too dry
chicken is bleh
beef does taste good when super marinated, chargrilled, well done for my taste with an amazing

Kimahri

Banned
Exactly.

Next time I go a vegetarian's place, the host should be a good person and serve me chicken. Why not? I dont want to eat veggies and bread the whole time. Even just one meat dish is fine.

It's the exact same thing back, but no vegetarian/vegan ever is considerate to cater to guests who like meat.
No, it's not the exact same thing, and you thinking it's exactly the same thing demonstrates how fundamentally you don't grasp what vegetarianism is.

You also keep saying veggies and bread, do you think that's all there is? I mean, if that's what you serve at your legendary parties I'm not surprised some people aren't impressed.

Anyways, gonna follow my own advice now since this is completely pointless, and take my leave.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
i like meat, but tend to lean more towards fish/seafood: crab/lobster, salmon, white fish, mussels, clams, oysters, crawfish

i dont like lamb and pork
turkey is too dry
chicken is bleh
beef does taste good when super marinated, chargrilled, well done for my taste with an amazing
Lamb I avoid. Every time I've tried it, it's gross.

Some people I know love it and when I say don't you taste that gamey weird taste (even at the same meal), they say not really. Taste buds totally different.

Kind of like drinking pop and many people say it's too sweet. I can gulp down any pop all night (except maybe Diet Coke as thats gross).

Last edited:

Raven117

Why is it insane? Some people just enjoy making food and skewing away from something is easy.

Food was delicious though, and people still, years later, tell us what a great wedding it was.
It’s insane to allow one person to dictate the menu for hundreds. (To me anyway). And celiac disease isn’t even a choice! (Vegetarian often is). To me, it’s catering to one person who says they only eat dishes with anchovies, and making every dish have anchovies in it just to appease them. (Or take a negative preference like… will not ever eat food that is the color green). I don’t cater to those tastes, why should anyone bother with catering for vegetarian? It’s the same as any other preference.

They aren’t going to tell you any different to your face dude. If the general rule holds true (that all wedding food sucks) yours was no different. Plus, no gluten… couldn’t even get a good piece of bread or a piece of cake. (I’m joking around with you on this last paragraph).

the only reason most people have an issue with vegetarians is that they make their choices other peoples problems more often than not.

it’s like some meat eater going to host that is serving pork ribs and say… hey, I don’t eat pork, do you have another option just for me. Oh, and I’m feeling unwelcome because you didn’t account for my preference. And I’m morally superior to you because… I have morals.

Kimahri

Banned
It’s insane to allow one person to dictate the menu for hundreds. (To me anyway). And celiac disease isn’t even a choice! (Vegetarian often is). To me, it’s catering to one person who says they only eat dishes with anchovies, and making every dish have anchovies in it just to appease them. (Or take a negative preference like… will not ever eat food that is the color green). I don’t cater to those tastes, why should anyone bother with catering for vegetarian? It’s the same as any other preference.

They aren’t going to tell you any different to your face dude. If the general rule holds true (that all wedding food sucks) yours was no different. Plus, no gluten… couldn’t even get a good piece of bread or a piece of cake. (I’m joking around with you on this last paragraph).

the only reason most people have an issue with vegetarians is that they make their choices other peoples problems more often than not.

it’s like some meat eater going to host that is serving pork ribs and say… hey, I don’t eat pork, do you have another option just for me. Oh, and I’m feeling unwelcome because you didn’t account for my preference. And I’m morally superior to you because… I have morals.
Do you feel better getting all that off your chest?

I guess you might not be a good cook, so you might not know how easy it is to make tasty, gluten free food. We made most of the food ourselves, and we wanted an intimate kinda of thing where we served food we greatly enjoy ourselves, so we made it ourselves, and we just chose the dishes that happened to be gluten free.

If you can't imagine great, gluten free food, that just speaks to you. I'm not abstaining from gluten, I eat seitan now and then which is basically just gluten, but I have no problem catering to people with celiac disease because I have several amazing dishes that are naturally gluten free.

Think whatever nonsense you like. When you're approached afterwards by several people asking for recipes, you've done something right.

Also, not all weddings are hundreds of people. Maybe it depends on culture, but what I'm used to is just a friends and expanded family affair and is usually easily less than a hundred.

I like how you show complete disregard for how other people view the world, yet think they are the ones causing problems.

Raven117

Do you feel better getting all that off your chest?

I guess you might not be a good cook, so you might not know how easy it is to make tasty, gluten free food. We made most of the food ourselves, and we wanted an intimate kinda of thing where we served food we greatly enjoy ourselves, so we made it ourselves, and we just chose the dishes that happened to be gluten free.

If you can't imagine great, gluten free food, that just speaks to you. I'm not abstaining from gluten, I eat seitan now and then which is basically just gluten, but I have no problem catering to people with celiac disease because I have several amazing dishes that are naturally gluten free.

Think whatever nonsense you like. When you're approached afterwards by several people asking for recipes, you've done something right.

Also, not all weddings are hundreds of people. Maybe it depends on culture, but what I'm used to is just a friends and expanded family affair and is usually easily less than a hundred.

I like how you show complete disregard for how other people view the world, yet think they are the ones causing problems.
As I said, it was your party, and it sounds like you enjoyed it (which is the only thing that matters).

Im not disregarding any view of the world. I regard it just fine. I'm just not going to go out of my way to cater to their view of the world.

I've said a zillion times, whatever someone chooses on this is totally cool with me (like my opinion even matters on that). Good luck with all of it. But that's your journey, not mine. It just always seems that some vegetarian is asking for some special treatment or there is some issue with food all the time. Thats the only issue that I see the "meat eaters" having.

There are no "causing problems" with vegans and vegetarians. Not any real problems. I don't think about vegetarians or vegetarianism much if at all. I'm sure that our exchange is the most I have thought about it combined in years. Its just food. Not negotiating world peace.

P.S. I'm an excellent cook.

Oh, I'll accommodate them, I'll rummage around for something to feed them, for a 'vegetarian plate', if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine.” - Anthony Bourdain​

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
We have that one vegan friend who thinks she is a great cook. We just get something to eat before we go over.

Ionian

Was at a wedding, couldn't finish my breakfast the morning after. Saw a dog (Bride's sisters) outside.

So I gave it a sausage, dog loved it.

Husband of that wench came out and gave out to me, apparently the dog only eats 'organic pasta'.

Cruel fuckers. And hilarious that Kimhari has a lion avatar. I wonder what lions eat when they go veggie or vegan?

Answer: Death.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Was at a wedding, couldn't finish my breakfast the morning after. Saw a dog (Bride's sisters) outside.

So I gave it a sausage, dog loved it.

Husband of that wench came out and gave out to me, apparently the dog only eats 'organic pasta'.

Cruel fuckers. And hilarious that Kimhari has a lion avatar. I wonder what lions eat when they go veggie or vegan?

Answer: Death.
Okay? So your point is that if I change my avatar to Hannibal Lecter I have to start eating people?

Kev Kev

Shit you got modded? Congrats!

It's all banter, take your own advice.
True

I posted something useful earlier itt, at least. I guess I’m just tired of seeing the same arguments without either side coming to an understanding. but yeah you’re right it’s not worth it to get ugly like that.

Ionian

True

I posted something useful earlier itt, at least. I guess I’m just tired of seeing the same arguments without either side coming to an understanding. but yeah you’re right it’s not worth it to get ugly like that.

Ah that's just the internet for you, thread gets derailed with other things.

Unique thing about GAF though is people can disagree and debate and usually come to a understanding of differing opinions without fear of a ban.

You gotta get that banter in there first though. ;)

EDIT: Obviously the exception would be purposely acting like an asshole.

Last edited:
Ethical vegans are going to be more likely to let you know what they are and why, because they’re doing it because they feel strongly about it and that inevitably leaks out if they get a sense of moral superiority from it. They are also most likely to to be emotionally attached to the state of the environment, which will likely be why rates of depression are higher (from a social perspective).
This is probably correct. If you're a vegan, then reality is a pretty depressing place, isn't it? From your POV animals are being killed in the billions completely needlessly and for whatever reason you're more likely to get cancelled for recklessly tossing a cat over your shoulder than paying to have a cow's throat slit even though alternatives are readily available.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is probably correct. If you're a vegan, then reality is a pretty depressing place, isn't it? From your POV animals are being killed in the billions completely needlessly and for whatever reason you're more likely to get cancelled for recklessly tossing a cat over your shoulder than paying to have a cow's throat slit even though alternatives are readily available.
If someone wants to be vegetarian or vegan due to animal ethics, that's fine. Do what you want.

I just find it weird how someone could care that much about animals over fellow human beings. Around the world, there's shit loads of poor people dying due to hunger or disease or getting caught up in violent politics (civil war kind of shit) through no fault of their own. Just born in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yet I doubt the average vegetarian or vegan gives a shit about them.

Kimahri

Banned
If someone wants to be vegetarian or vegan due to animal ethics, that's fine. Do what you want.

I just find it weird how someone could care that much about animals over fellow human beings. Around the world, there's shit loads of poor people dying due to hunger or disease or getting caught up in violent politics (civil war kind of shit) through no fault of their own. Just born in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yet I doubt the average vegetarian or vegan gives a shit about them.
Since when does caring about animals mean you stop caring about people? How do you come up with this shit?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Since when does caring about animals mean you stop caring about people? How do you come up with this shit?
How often to do you seem talking about donating money, doing charitable causes or chatting about helping people in poor countries compared to being non-meat?

Kimahri

Banned
How often to do you seem talking about donating money, doing charitable causes or chatting about helping people in poor countries compared to being non-meat?
Do I have to talk about both at the same time to prove ti you I don't care about one at the expense of the other? I talk about each where appropriate. I don't eat meat and dairy, but I support two kids in Nepal while donating to red cross and working with underprivelegded children as a full time job.

What the fuck more do you want man?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do I have to talk about both at the same time to prove ti you I don't care about one at the expense of the other? I talk about each where appropriate. I don't eat meat and dairy, but I support two kids in Nepal while donating to red cross and working with underprivelegded children as a full time job.

What the fuck more do you want man?
And you also said you made the entire non-gluten dinner at your wedding too for everyone due to one couple I think. Ok.

Never the less, why you getting hyper? Were just talking back and forth here.

Now you know why people think vegetarians/vegans are hyper sensitive.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
And you also said you cooked the entire non-gluten dinner at your wedding too for everyone. Ok.

Never the less, why you getting hyper? Were just talking back and forth here.

Now you know why people think vegetarians/vegans are hyper sensitive.
... What?

Is this how you usually try to come out on top? First say something nonsensical, then accuse people of being hyper?

So first I care too little, or not about the right thing, but now I care too much and I'm hyper? Is that it?

I have no idea what you're even doing at this point. You're row, row, rowing your boat.

Either way, you seem to care far more about what strangers think thna I do.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I do feel happier after having a plate of bacon. My heart whines like a bitch, but who cares about that pussy right?

ron-swanson-bacon.gif

yGOfbfy.gif

tumblr_mbqqh1kGrf1rwzsbso6_400.gifv

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
... What?

Is this how you usually try to come out on top? First say something nonsensical, then accuse people of being hyper?

So first I care too little, or not about the right thing, but now I care too much and I'm hyper? Is that it?

I have no idea what you're even doing at this point. You're row, row, rowing your boat.

Either way, you seem to care far more about what strangers think thna I do.
Actually I dont. I wouldnt cater an entire wedding menu to be gluten free for one person. Most food doesn't even have gluten in it to begin with as it's heavily skewed to carbs.

If anything, you even said before you are done posting in this thread and my recent post you responded to wasnt even responding to you to begin with.

So why are you still here? Looks to me you are the one who cares a lot of what other people think and post.

Kimahri

Banned
Actually I dont. I wouldnt cater an entire wedding menu to be gluten free for one person. Most food doesn't even have gluten in it to begin with as it's heavily skewed to carbs.

If anything, you even said before you are done posting in this thread and my recent post you responded to wasnt even responding to you to begin with.

So why are you still here? Looks to me you are the one who cares a lot of what other people think and post.
I'm here because you keep saying clueless nonsense and against better judgment I try to inform you.

But it really is a waste of time. It's the same dance every time. You say something based on a personal fantasy of yours, I tell you otherwise, you ignore me only to focus on something else, then you cook up some new fairy tale.

Why does my wedding upset you so much? Do you have a breakdown if you go one day without eating wheat or something? We didn't "cater" to one person. We just set up a menu everyone could enjoy. People were happy, get over it.

Jsisto

I think we can all agree that people of all types, whether it be background, location, race, age or dietary choice, are capable of being inconsiderate assholes to others. There’s vegans that are jerks to people that don’t subscribe to their lifestyles, there’s meat eaters that are jerks to those that don’t subscribe to their lifestyle. I don’t think it’s fair to paint either group with broad strokes. Some of the nicest people I’ve ever met are vegans. Some of the nicest people I’ve ever met are omnivores. I don’t think personality has anything to do with diet.

Vegans don't value animals over humans. You can also obviously care about more than one thing at once. By your logic, we'd have to solve world hunger first before we tackle any other unrelated issue.

Last edited:
Vegans don't value animals over humans. You can also obviously care about more than one thing at once. By your logic, we'd have to solve world hunger first before we tackle any other unrelated issue.

Even most meat eaters who are dog lovers value animals more than humans. Based on my experience anyone who talks about the environment a lot would Thanos snap their fingers if they could and depopulate this planet to something like 10% of it's current population.

I don't trust people who don't eat meat, or people who have too many pets. Also I don't trust these people to be honest about their habits. The few people I know who claimed to be vegetarians when I got to know them better I found out either they eat eggs or they eat meat just not every day.

Ionian

Even most meat eaters who are dog lovers value animals more than humans. Based on my experience anyone who talks about the environment a lot would Thanos snap their fingers if they could and depopulate this planet to something like 10% of it's current population.

I don't trust people who don't eat meat, or people who have too many pets. Also I don't trust these people to be honest about their habits. The few people I know who claimed to be vegetarians when I got to know them better I found out either they eat eggs or they eat meat just not every day.

LOL, vegetarians can eat eggs.

Ionian

You are abusing the term. It is a dishonest out for cowards who want to be trendy but lack the will to do anything difficult.

No. Vedgetarians can eat eggs. You thinking Vegan or some shit?

I had a vedgetarian girlfriend for 4 years. I recommend you use Google before spouting your bullshit.

Ooooohhh no, Vegetarian egg fried rice!

Lol ya muppet

Last edited:
No. Vedgetarians can eat eggs. You thinking Vegan or some shit?

I had a vedgetarian girlfriend for 4 years. I recommend you use Google before spouting your bullshit.

Ooooohhh no, Vegetarian egg fried rice!

Lol ya muppet

No. Eggs are animal flesh. It's an abuse of language to call eggs a vegetarian dish.

It's like me saying "I'm a soldier in the military."

"Oh really what branch?"

"I'm the general of my personal army of ME."

It's an abuse of language used by cowards who want to be trendy. Your girlfriend was not a vegetarian. She was a trendy hipster who wanted to use a label that did not apply to her.

Ionian

No. Eggs are animal flesh. It's an abuse of language to call eggs a vegetarian dish.

"Oh really what branch?"

It's an abuse of language used by cowards who want to be trendy. Your girlfriend was not a vegetarian. She was a trendy hipster who wanted to use a label that did not apply to her.

You really are a moron, not ashamed to say it.

You're calling vegetarians that eat eggs "cowards" and "hipsters".

She was neither. Educate yourself before you end up looking even more stupid. Right now you have ... *drum roll* Egg on your face!

Last edited:

Ionian

"Oh really what branch?"

One of the top vegetarian restaurants here going by trip advisor, look atthe menu.

Now say you're sorry and promise to eat a few eggs for me.

Kimahri

Banned

"Oh really what branch?"

Vegetarians who eat eggs are called ovo-vegetarians. Many don't bother adding the ovo though, which is fine. The main characteristic of being vegetarian is you don't eat meat, and eggs are not technically meat.

You really are a moron, not ashamed to say it.

You're calling vegetarians that eat eggs "cowards" and "hipsters".

She was neither. Educate yourself before you end up looking even more stupid. Right now you have ... *drum roll* Egg on your face!

They are using language incorrectly because they want to get credit for something they don't do to get social credit. If people think I look stupid for my stance on this issue, I don't care. I don't value the opinion of anyone who could be so fundamentally wrong about such a basic question as to whether or not eggs constitute animal flesh.

One of the top vegetarian restaurants here going by trip advisor, look atthe menu.

Now say you're sorry and promise to eat a few eggs for me.

The fact that many people are dishonest hipsters doesn't mean they are correct. That is a logical fallacy, argumentum ad populum.

Vegetarians who eat eggs are called ovo-vegetarians. Many don't bother adding the ovo though, which is fine. The main characteristic of being vegetarian is you don't eat meat, and eggs are not technically meat.

I'm aware of this definition. It doesn't change my opinion. I think it's dishonest, and that people who use this definition are trendy hipsters who are doing it for social points. From my perspective they are bending reality so they can apply labels to themselves that simply do not apply.

Top Bottom