• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medai Create sales May 15-21

Nutter

Logan Cano said:
Wow, the japanese game market is going to hell. Hopefully PS3 manages to reignite the console market over there, it´s very depressing to see DS games dominating the chart.
Would you be saying the same thing if it was the PSP dominating the charts?

For some reason i doubt it.

Dragona Akehi said:
The same in that PD/Mono nor JackFrost/Drinky are the same person.

Does it matter? We're all just talking heads on a forum. Whether posturing or not, we can only be measured by the things we say. There is no rhetorical advantage to wearing a mask.

Jiggy

I nominate PhoenixDark for best poster ever. :eek:

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see NSMB do stupidly well. I mean, if FFXII could do like, what was it, 1.5 million or something in one week, I don't know why NSMB couldn't manage at least 500k.

shaft said:
The dominating games are really fun to play..! It's all about the fun, not the standard games..

So, from that, you are saying that standard games are not fun, right?? Makes me sad seeing these kinds of games dominating, but hey, I guess people are happy Nintendo is making money.

ghostlyjoe said:
Does it matter? We're all just talking heads on a forum. Whether posturing or not, we can only be measured by the things we say. There is no rhetorical advantage to wearing a mask.

I just want everyone to be clear that they are four individual people. :p

Nutter said:
Would you be saying the same thing if it was the PSP dominating the charts?

For some reason i doubt it.

I don´t even have a PSP, but if that meant games like Irregular Hunter X dominating over non games such as Brain Training, sure.

But, as I said, I imagine people are happy with Nintendo making money over seeing actual games succeed.

Logan Cano said:
So, from that, you are saying that standard games are not fun, right?? Makes me sad seeing these kinds of games dominating, but hey, I guess people are happy Nintendo is making money.

I agree! WTF is going on in Japan??? I mean it would be great if Children of Mana, or some Mario and Zelda games were in the top 10 but two fucking brain training games and english training? WTF?? Next thing you fucking Norton Antivirus will be on the list..

Trurl

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
I agree! WTF is going on in Japan??? I mean it would be great if Children of Mana, or some Mario and Zelda games were in the top 10 but two fucking brain training games and english training? WTF?? Next thing you fucking Norton Antivirus will be on the list..
A Mario game is in the top ten. ;)

ioi

Banned
Well I'm calling it now:

1) DS New Super Mario Bros- 637k
2) DS Brain Training 2- 79k
3) DS Tetris- 65k
4) DS Brain Training- 57k
5) DS Animal Crossing- 47k
6) PSP Itadaki Street Portable 45k
7) DS English Training- 37k
8) PSP Brain Trainer Portable 2- 35k
9) PS2 Winning Eleven 10- 32k
10) DS Pokemon Ranger- 26k

DS Hardware- As much as they can ship, 300k+?

Doom_Bringer said:
Look at it this way:

Pretend there were no Brain Training, Nintendogs, Animal Crossings, etc. and Mario Kart was doing 10K per week. It would be number 3 or 4 on the list.

But because there are so many people buying DSs and some new gamers, it's doing 16K. Sure, it's not as high on the list as it would have been without the non-games there, but you can bet that MORE PEOPLE ARE BUYING 'REAL' DS GAMES because of the attraction of non-games.

The raw numbers are what counts for developers. The top 10 chart is important only to e-penis growers on this board.

mj1108

Doom_Bringer said:

Just wait until Opera is released. ;)

ioi

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
Look at it this way:

Pretend there were no Brain Training, Nintendogs, Animal Crossings, etc. and Mario Kart was doing 10K per week. It would be number 3 or 4 on the list.

But because there are so many people buying DSs and some new gamers, it's doing 16K. Sure, it's not as high on the list as it would have been without the non-games there, but you can bet that MORE PEOPLE ARE BUYING 'REAL' DS GAMES because of the attraction of non-games.

The raw numbers are what counts for developers. The top 10 chart is important only to e-penis growers on this board.

If Mario Kart wasn't riding the DS wave like it is at the moment, it would likely be on more like 3-4k by now, and not have cleared a million.

Logan Cano said:
I don´t even have a PSP, but if that meant games like Irregular Hunter X dominating over non games such as Brain Training, sure.

But, as I said, I imagine people are happy with Nintendo making money over seeing actual games succeed.

Have you considered that perhaps ... maybe ... people like playing these "non-games." Maybe your preferences are in the minority? Maybe people like them precisely becuase they're not the same "actual" games we've been playing for decades? Maybe you're getting old and having a hard time adapting to changing tides? I don't know, but any and all of those are more logical than your post.

Battersea Power Station said:
Look at it this way:

Are you serious?

Non games are just the Japanese version of MySpace. Lots of people are doing it, but pretty soon they'll come to their senses and start buying real games again.

When you take all the non games out of the picture, the DS is doing quite ordinary. Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Brain Training - these are shrinking the market, not growing it. You know the market is growing when third parties are in on the profit. Here, they aren't. You have a perfectly good game like Children of Mana, which has been ignored. On the PSP, it is scientifically sound to suggest that the game would sell one million copies. On the DS, it's being outsold by an english dictionary game.

Consider this. A company (lets say Fox) releases a movie called "Computer Trainging: The Future" which shows people how to type, use a mouse, use Word, etc. This movie winds up making $30 million a month - for the entire year. Is this a good thing for the movie business? No. Instead of going to see the big time movies like Superman, X3, and Basic Instinct 2, people are seeing a low budget instruction video. This would ruin the industry over time.

Likewise, the DS is having a similar effect on the gaming industry. Quality games are being ignored by consumers, who instead are buying freeware for $50. This sends the message that consumers don't want real games, meaning more non games will be produced. If Nintendo has its way, franchises like Final Fantasy, Mario, and MGS will be no more.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Logan Cano said:

Looks like we have our new Mono!

PhoenixDark said:
Are you serious?

Non games are just the Japanese version of MySpace. Lots of people are doing it, but pretty soon they'll come to their senses and start buying real games again.

When you take all the non games out of the picture, the DS is doing quite ordinary. Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Brain Training - these are shrinking the market, not growing it. You know the market is growing when third parties are in on the profit. Here, they aren't. You have a perfectly good game like Children of Mana, which has been ignored. On the PSP, it is scientifically sound to suggest that the game would sell one million copies. On the DS, it's being outsold by an english dictionary game.

Consider this. A company (lets say Fox) releases a movie called "Computer Trainging: The Future" which shows people how to type, use a mouse, use Word, etc. This movie winds up making $30 million a month - for the entire year. Is this a good thing for the movie business? No. Instead of going to see the big time movies like Superman, X3, and Basic Instinct 2, people are seeing a low budget instruction video. This would ruin the industry over time.

Likewise, the DS is having a similar effect on the gaming industry. Quality games are being ignored by consumers, who instead are buying freeware for $50. This sends the message that consumers don't want real games, meaning more non games will be produced. If Nintendo has its way, franchises like Final Fantasy, Mario, and MGS will be no more.

There's a big flaw in your reasoning: People go see what they want to see. If the movie industry can't offer what people want, if the preferences of its audience shift and it can't adapt, then it's doomed. That's capitalism. The same applies to games. The Japanese clearly like these "non-games," fad or not, and if they're truly dooming the industry, then the industry better damn well shape up. You know what they call people who sit around and bitch as the world passes them by? Losers.

It's far too early to be mourning the death of "real games," anyway.

Kifimbo

You know the market is growing when third parties are in on the profit. Here, they aren't. You have a perfectly good game like Children of Mana, which has been ignored. On the PSP, it is scientifically sound to suggest that the game would sell one million copies.

:lol

First, how can you pretend that third parties aren't making profit on DS? Do you have a link ? Do you know the dev cost of every single game ?

And 1 million for Children of Mana on PSP ? Delusional

iifu said:
NSMB is being advertised as a Touch! Generations game too.

It's official: Super Mario Bros. is retroactively declared a "non-game." In fact, it turns out there was never such a thing as a "game" in the first place, just "non-games" masquerading as games.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Phoenix, you are even more fun than Monorojo. This one post was better than any of Mono's spins =).

ghostlyjoe said:
There's a big flaw in your reasoning: People go see what they want to see. If the movie industry can't offer what people want, if the preferences of its audience shift and it can't adapt, then it's doomed. That's capitalism. The same applies to games. The Japanese clearly like these "non-games," fad or not, and if they're truly dooming the industry, then the industry better damn well shape up. You know what they call people who sit around and bitch as the world passes them by? Losers.

It's far too early to be mourning the death of "real games," anyway.

he is only kidding.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yoshi said:
Phoenix, you are even more fun than Monorojo. This one post was better than any of Mono's spins =).
Add to that the people taking him seriously and he made this thread funnier than mono ever could. :lol

Dragona Akehi said:
Dudes, PhoenixDark is imitating Monojoro. IE: Joking. Laughing it up.

Oh, yeah. This is the Internet, where somehow it's saavy to completely obscure your motives when joining a discussion. Silly me.

Perhaps I should read your entire post history before taking your post at face value?

Emotions

Logan Cano said:
Wow, the japanese game market is going to hell. Hopefully PS3 manages to reignite the console market over there, it´s very depressing to see DS games dominating the chart.

is that you Mono?

ghostlyjoe said:
Oh, yeah. This is the Internet, where somehow it's saavy to completely obscure your motives when joining a discussion. Silly me.

Perhaps I should read your entire post history before taking your post at face value?

If you read the thread from the beginning, it's pretty apparent.

Logan Cano said:

Actually, people are a) amazed by the legs of games like Brain Training, Animal Crossing etc. have and b) are happy that games that are actually good and fun sell well.

Dragona Akehi said:
If you read the thread from the beginning, it's pretty apparent.

Meh. I've been around long enough and read enough PD posts to know his general stance and reputation (Aries). I was simply offering a logical rebuttal. I just don't appreciate being made to feel foolish as a result.

Perhaps I'm showing my age, but I love games, I enjoy debate and I try to conduct myself accordingly. I reiterate that we are all talking heads on a forum. I can appreciate irony, but dishonesty doesn't qualify. How many people here are truly "in the know?" So many rarely mean what they say.

Terrell

Billy Rygar said:
You're kidding me? People are so knee jerk they're responding to a PhoenixDark joke?
Either that, or people think it's equally entertaining to imitate unfunny knee-jerk respondants, in an effort to egg on an impersonation of an unfunny spin doctor.

Terrell said:
Either that, or people think it's equally entertaining to imitate unfunny knee-jerk respondants, in an effort to egg on an impersonation of an unfunny spin doctor.

A tangled web of deceit indeed.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Emotions said:
Mono + Azazela = FTW. Somebody should impersonate Azazela too
Was he banned too? :lol

Oh well, System Wars on GameSpot is where he belongs.

Kifimbo said:
:lol

First, how can you pretend that third parties aren't making profit on DS? Do you have a link ? Do you know the dev cost of every single game ?

And 1 million for Children of Mana on PSP ? Delusional

It would sell 1 million on the PSP for the same readon MGS: Twin Snakes would have sold 1 million on the PS2. The Playstation is home to the vast majority of SE fans; looking at Mana's poor sales, it's clear they haven't left the Playstation brand.

Earthstrike said:
NSMB
800k first week at least.

I agree with you.
Last news i heard 2 weeks ago was about 800k preorders and Nintendo ready to ship 1,2mln on launch day.
And it could be real considering more than 1 month ago we heard about 800k units requested from shops.

ioi

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
I agree with you.
Last news i heard 2 weeks ago was about 800k preorders and Nintendo ready to ship 1,2mln on launch day.
And it could be real considering more than 1 month ago we heard about 800k units requested from shops.

Well indeed, 637k is on the low side really. Anything upto a million is possible I think.

I can't believe we've had no US figures yet, maybe they have been a little disappointing?

PhoenixDark said:
survey says: X
I will pass this scintillating industry analysis on to CESA; I'm sure they will find it invaluable.

People are bitching that Brain Training et al are bumping the "real games" off the Top 10. Okay, they are. But that's also assuming that if they weren't on there, there would be a bunch of other games selling over a million units each, which is totally false. If all the "non-games" were gone, the bottom 10 would just be hiked up to the top of the charts but they'd still be selling the same number of copies that they do right now.

Nobody's getting cheated; if anything, popularity of Brain Training etc. causes sales of "real games" to rise because of the associated increase in hardware install base.

PhoenixDark said:
It would sell 1 million on the PSP for the same readon MGS: Twin Snakes would have sold 1 million on the PS2. The Playstation is home to the vast majority of SE fans; looking at Mana's poor sales, it's clear they haven't left the Playstation brand.
Mana topped out around 200,000, which is about what Square Enix should expect for a piece of abject shit and just for the record it sold better than a PSP game, from Square Enix, released the same week.

The notion of any game, let alone a Mana sequel, selling 1 million units on the PSP in Japan is a friggin' laugh riot at this point. That's like 1/3 of the install base!

Yamauchi

Banned
I think CoM is closer to around 300k given its legs. Obviously it wouldn't have sold a million on the PSP given SE's past PSP sales.

Top Bottom