• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 7-13

Spiegel

Chris1964 said:
These tiny shipments show that the game has done selling and really mean nothing as the game is definetely overshipped in Japan and possibly overshipped in US (unless it sold a very big ammount through DD)

Famitsu as 27/12/09
[PSP] Gran Turismo: The Real Driving Simulation (SCE) - 143.903 / 247.869

Media Create as 03/01/10
[PSP] Gran Turismo: The Real Driving Simulation (SCE) - 134.331 / 261.322

The game will pass 2M easily with the Platinum release.
Also we can't possibly know how bad/great the game has sold through DD in any territory so we should wait until the shipment report at least to know if the game was really overshipped or not. But yes, it looks like the game was overshipped in all territories.

Anyway, 1.86M is not a bad number for this game. It was good racing game but a very VERY disappointing GT.

Takahashi spent all of his savings purchasing 80 000 copies for himself!!! I HAVE NOT LOST!

Seriously, I'm surprised. Oh well, still time for TLS to still bomb. And I'm not sure Xenoblade has really succeeded either...

mello

Dragona Akehi said:
Seriously, I'm surprised. Oh well, still time for TLS to still bomb. And I'm not sure Xenoblade has really succeeded either...

If it breaks 100k, it definitely succeeded.

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
Takahashi spent all of his savings purchasing 80 000 copies for himself!!! I HAVE NOT LOST!

Stop being a sore loser! TAKAHASHI FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

Dragona Akehi said:

denial.jpg

:(

Vinnk

Dragona Akehi said:

And if TLS sells -40k or so, you still have a chance to win the prediction.

Culex

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
So now 80k FW is the new bomba?

Wow.

Apparently..... guaranteed 100k+ LTD now and it's a failure? Does not compute. My guess is that if it doesn't break 100k in it's second week, then we can call it a disappointment, NOT a bomba.

mello said:
If it breaks 100k, it definitely succeeded.

I'm sorry if this sounds bitchy, but I doubt anybody here is even remotely in a position to be qualified to make a statement like that. Unless you know how much it cost Monolith and Nintendo to make and market the game vs. how much they make back per unit sold to retailers and the shipment figures barring any buyback obligations, then any numbers thrown out as a bar for success are just pulled from your arse, let alone anything definitely one way or the other.

Maybe we should ditch the prediction league and instead democratically decide on a consensus expectation number for each title, rather than one bunch of people saying 'I only expected it to sell 60k, it's a roaring success' and another bunch saying '110k should have been the minimum to expect, what a bomb.'

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Die Squirrel Die said:
...and the shipment figures barring any buyback obligations...
This isn't happening in Japan. Retailers take the risk for the shipments. If a game is overshipped and retailers have to slash the prices in order to get rid of the stock, they are the only ones who will have profit loses.

Culex

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
I'm sorry if this sounds bitchy, but I doubt anybody here is even remotely in a position to be qualified to make a statement like that. Unless you know how much it cost Monolith and Nintendo to make and market the game vs. how much they make back per unit sold to retailers and the shipment figures barring any buyback obligations, then any numbers thrown out as a bar for success are just pulled from your arse, let alone anything definitely one way or the other.

Maybe we should ditch the prediction league and instead democratically decide on a consensus expectation number for each title, rather than one bunch of people saying 'I only expected it to sell 60k, it's a roaring success' and another bunch saying '110k should have been the minimum to expect, what a bomb.'

Going by the shipment figures, Monolith/Nintendo only shipped 100k for the first batch. This might be telling of how much it cost to make, and what the sales goals are.

linsivvi

Culex said:
Going by the shipment figures, Monolith/Nintendo only shipped 100k for the first batch. This might be telling of how much it cost to make, and what the sales goals are.

No it does not.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Culex said:
This might tell what the sales goal is but in no way gives an estimate for the cost.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sammy Samusu said:
So now 80k FW is the new bomba?

Wow.

let's say it does 150k ltd, which would be longer legs than xenosaga 3. that would put it at the 306th best selling game on ps2. it'd be on par with irem's disaster report. suikoden v, not really considered a success, did 200k. summon night 4, again not really a success, did 200k. xenosaga 3, the weakest selling installment of a series that sold progressively worse, 180k. xenoblade, right now, is on track to tie .hack 4 based on xenosaga 3's legs. i don't think anyone would consider .hack 4 a success.

i don't think it's a bomba by any means, particularly not when considering how poorly the wii ecosystem has been catered to this type of game, but i don't think it's a good result for either xeno<x> or rpgs in general. the salad days of the ps2 don't exist anymore on home consoles.

mello

Die Squirrel Die said:

If Xenoblade breaks 100k it'd be the only new IP Nintendo published game developed outside EAD that's not Mario and Sonic to do so. I really don't care whether Nintendo makes a profit or not over Xenoblade's sales, I'm talking success in terms of how it's performing along side other products for comparisons sake, and perspective.

We make predictions based on shipments, previous series sales, marketing output, general hype etc etc. There are other forms of scaling sales success, other than having internal access. Why would we ditch a valid form of discussion on product sales in a sales thread? Do we need to kill Media Create threads any further?

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
i don't think it's a bomba by any means, particularly not when considering how poorly the wii ecosystem has been catered to this type of game, but i don't think it's a good result for either xeno<x> or rpgs in general. the salad days of the ps2 don't exist anymore on home consoles.

But don't you think this has a lot more to do with the Wii than home consoles in general? I mean looking at the PS3, I see:

Final Fantasy XIII - 1,861,724
White Knight Chronicles - 339,690
Tales of Vesperia - 337,783
Resonance of Fate - 166,704
Valkyria Chronicles - 141,589
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope International - 135,436

Sure, it's still lower than PS2 numbers, but I think considering how 3 of those are brand new IPs, and 2 of those are year old re-releases of 360 games, it's clear that RPGs can still sell respectable numbers. Now let's take a look at the 360:

Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope - 208,521
Blue Dragon - 203,740
Tales of Vesperia - 161,070
The Last Remnant 134,611
Infinite Undiscovery - 112,444
Lost Odyssey - 109,517

Given how super low the installed base of the 360 is in Japan, these are honestly really amazing sales. I don't think we can or should dance around the fact that a major RPG coming from a first party on the Wii having a LTD of 150k says more about the Wii's userbase than anything else here.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
But don't you think this has a lot more to do with the Wii than home consoles in general? I mean looking at the PS3, I see:

Final Fantasy XIII - 1,861,724
Tales of Vesperia - 337,783
Resonance of Fate - 166,704
Valkyria Chronicles - 141,589
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope International - 135,436

Sure, it's still lower than PS2 numbers, but I think considering how 3 of those are brand new IPs, and 2 of those are year old re-releases of 360 games, it's clear that RPGs can still sell respectable numbers. Now let's take a look at the 360:

Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope - 208,521
Blue Dragon - 203,740
Tales of Vesperia - 161,070
The Last Remnant 134,611
Infinite Undiscovery - 112,444
Lost Odyssey - 109,517

Given how super low the installed base of the 360 is in Japan, these are honestly really amazing sales. I don't think we can or should dance around the fact that a major RPG coming from a first party on the Wii having a LTD of 150k says more about the Wii's userbase than anything else here.

I do agree that the Wii, relative to its install base, appears to be the weakest platform for the kind of jRPGs that did well on ps2. You won't hear me defending that, or Nintendo's handling of MonolithSoft in general.

That being said, I still think all three platforms are a poor replacement for the PS2 for jRPGs. Even milquetoast stuff on the PS2 easily lapped everything (save FF13 PS3, naturally) else on those lists.

Hell, Front Mission fucking 5, the last bomba installment of a longtime bomba franchise, would beat every 360 RPG and be #4 on the PS3. Valkyrie Profile 2, which I think we could agree was big but not huge, would be #2 after FF13. Unlimted SaGa beats VP2. Tales has collapsed. A half a dozen SRW games would beat everything except FF13.

Now, I think FF13 shows that there are still roughly the same number of people willing to play RPGs in total as there were last generation, but that success absolutely hasn't trickled down to anything else.

Baki

Stumpokapow said:
I do agree that the Wii, relative to its install base, appears to be the weakest platform for the kind of jRPGs that did well on ps2. You won't hear me defending that, or Nintendo's handling of MonolithSoft in general.

That being said, I still think all three platforms are a poor replacement for the PS2 for jRPGs. Even milquetoast stuff on the PS2 easily lapped everything (save FF13 PS3, naturally) else on those lists.

Hell, Front Mission fucking 5, the last bomba installment of a longtime bomba franchise, would beat every 360 RPG and be #4 on the PS3. Valkyrie Profile 2, which I think we could agree was big but not huge, would be #2 after FF13. Unlimted SaGa beats VP2. Tales has collapsed. A half a dozen SRW games would beat everything except FF13.

Now, I think FF13 shows that there are still roughly the same number of people willing to play RPGs in total as there were last generation, but that success absolutely hasn't trickled down to anything else.

To be fair, the PS3 has not received many jRPG's (well exclusive ones) in Japan.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:

Now, I don't disagree with your overall opinion. I too agree that this generation has a poor showing of support for JRPGs in general across all home consoles. But what I want to dispute is the claim that it is so bad that nothing is matching up to PS2 levels. I feel that your comparisons here are somewhat skewed.

The main problem here, is clearly that there are so little console JRPGs being released that we can't really properly compare anything in a direct sense aside from FFXIII. But I think if we look at where each RPG falls within a give category fitting the sort of game it is, we can see that if all these PS3 and 360 games were on the PS2, they would have actually still sold within expectations.

PS2 Tales games:

Tales of Destiny 2 - 762,861
Tales of Symphonia - 390,414 (combined with ToS GC = 701,887)
Tales of Rebirth - 596,493
Tales of Legendia - 342,779
Tales of the Abyss - 556,465
Tales of Destiny - 367,998

vs

Tales of Vesperia - 337,783 (combined with ToV 360 = 498,853)

It that terrible? By no means. It sells within the range of 3 of the PS2 Tales titles, and when compared with ToS PS2, which is in many ways very similar (year old port, first 3D Tales on PS2), it is very close.

Here's another thought. On the PS2, Sega released Phantasy Star Universe. It sold 188,961. In comparison, Sega has released 2 RPGs on the PS3 selling in a similar range (over 100k). This certainly can't be bad for Sega at all, although it's more of an indication that Sega just isn't a very high profile JRPG publisher. If you want to include Ryu ga Gotoku as a "RPG" series, then that's a whole other ball game, but let's not get into that.

Now for another comparison.

PS2 Level 5 IPs:

Dark Cloud - 70,471
Dark Chronicle - 250,038
Rogue Galaxy - 356,192

vs

All 4 games are published by Sony, and developed by Level 5. This is the best comparison outside of FFXIII. Again, here we see the game performing very close to the top-tier of what they could achieve on the PS2.

This is a solid example that it's not so much a great decline from the PS2 era, but more of the fact that what is out on the 360 and PS3 are either a) new IPs that might not have survived well on the PS2 anyway, b) releases limited severely by the 360's lack of user base, c) not stuff that could be compared well with PS2 sales because of weak publishers or just weak software in general.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Looking at comgnet preorders for upcoming big games:

10 days before its release Inazuma Eleven 3 has already 140% of final preorders Inazuma Eleven 2 had the day before its release.

17 days before its release White Knight Chronicles 2 has 50% of preorders White Knight Chronicles had the same time period.

24 days before its release Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road Victory has 70% of preorders Dragon Quest Swords had the same time period.

Spiegel

I was going to suggest you to add Project Diva 2 to that list but the preorder information for the first game is really confusing.

Updated: Jun 05, 2009 (Fri) 08:00
[PSP] Hatsune Miku-Project DIVA-- 202pt

Updated: Jun 06, 2009 (Sat) 08:00
[PSP] Hatsune Miku-Project DIVA-- 81pt

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If I remember correctly Sega delayd Hatsune Miku 3-4 weeks drom the initial release date, thus this confusion with preordrers.

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
I'm wondering though, do you really think stuff like movies and TV series help in game sales? It's interesting to me how in some cases it seems to help (Pokemon, Inazuma), but in other cases it seems to have zero real impact (World Destruction, Layton, Tales). What are your thoughts on this? Personally I think it certainly has a lot to do with audience (kids are more likely to be more interested in a game if they enjoyed a movie or tv series) and also possibly the theme (sports and competition based stories, even fighting stuff, are more likely to gain cross-media traction because of the main visual connections of similar moves/players/teams/etc as opposed to story based stories where the movie or tv series is unrelated directly to the game).

I agree with you. Pokemon in particular began as a game but the anime has become one of the main forms of consuming this franchise. It gives more life to the Pokemon, by giving them unique voices and personalities you can't get from the games. It also keeps the franchise in the minds of fans in between games. It also doesn't hurt that Toei Cinema/Pokemon Co./Nintendo/etc. encourage the audience to bring their DS systems to the theaters to receive their free Pokemans before/after the movie. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Baki said:
To be fair, the PS3 has not received many jRPG's (well exclusive ones) in Japan.

Look at the awesome Wii lineup.

Road

Supposedly from Nintendo Dream 2010-08, Media Create LTD up to 2010/06/06

2ch said:
Wii &#12527;&#12531;&#12500;UC2 &#32047;&#35336;14&#19975;3101&#26412;
Wii Wii&#12452;&#12524;&#33980; &#32047;&#35336;1&#19975;5356&#26412;
DS New&#12510;&#12522;&#12458; &#32047;&#35336;590&#19975;9862&#26412;
DS &#12461;&#12515;&#12503;&#32764; &#32047;&#35336;1&#19975;9882&#26412;
DS &#12469;&#12459;&#31361;&#12367; &#32047;&#35336;6&#19975;8511&#26412;
DS &#39764;&#35013;&#36020;&#20449; &#32047;&#35336;9&#19975;273&#26412;
DS TRICKDS&#29256; &#32047;&#35336;1&#19975;5374&#26412;

[WII] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise 2 - Awakening of the Hero (Bandai Namco) - 143,101
[WII] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010: Blue Samurai Challenge (Konami) - 15,356

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 5,909,862
[NDS] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin - The Lord of Elemental (Bandai Namco) - 90,273
[NDS] Let's Make a Pro Soccer Club! DS World Challenge 2010 (Sega) - 68,511
[NDS] Captain Tsubasa: Gekitou no Kiseki (Konami) - 19,882
[NDS] Trick DS-han: Kakushi Kami no Sumukan (Konami) - 15,374

OPUC2 is probably combined original + best.

mello said:
If Xenoblade breaks 100k it'd be the only new IP Nintendo published game developed outside EAD that's not Mario and Sonic to do so.

Chibi-Robo DS says "hi!" So does Soma Bringer, Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory, Endless Ocean...

Chris1964 said:
Azalyn stopped giving Famitsu leaked numbers, so they started doing predictions based on the movement at their stores.

First week sales expectations (17/06/10 release)
[WII] Trauma Team (Atlus Co.) - 10.000
That would be pretty big for the series, no? Searching Trauma at Garaph I only see that the first DS game ever made the Top 30 (5.5K first week), and the only reason I have sales for the first Wii game is because Famitsu reported everything Wii and PS3 early on.

JoshuaJSlone said:
That would be pretty big for the series, no? Searching Trauma at Garaph I only see that the first DS game ever made the Top 30 (5.5K first week), and the only reason I have sales for the first Wii game is because Famitsu reported everything Wii and PS3 early on.

I think so - it seems to have been a series that performed far better in the US, and - small though it might be - a 10k first week for Trauma Team/Hospital would be an improvement on Second Opinion/New Blood.

Vinnk

There is actually a bit of advertising for "Hospital" in Japan. I picked up a nice fold out booklet about it at Toys r Us today. Good overview of the game and interestingly enough ads for the DVD box set of House. I will see if I can scan it later.

Oh and at that same Toy R Us (Fukuoka near the airport), Xenoblade was sold out. But at all the game stores (Wanpaku, Jusco, Aeon, Yamada Denki, Best Denki, Book-net) in my (smaller) town there are still copies on the shelves. I would say if there is any supply constraints they are not the norm. Perhaps this TRU just ordered a really small shipment.

Vinnk said:
There is actually a bit of advertising for "Hospital" in Japan. I picked up a nice fold out booklet about it at Toys r Us today. Good overview of the game and interestingly enough ads for the DVD box set of House.

:lol

mello

Vinnk said:
There is actually a bit of advertising for "Hospital" in Japan. I picked up a nice fold out booklet about it at Toys r Us today. Good overview of the game and interestingly enough ads for the DVD box set of House. I will see if I can scan it later.

Oh and at that same Toy R Us (Fukuoka near the airport), Xenoblade was sold out. But at all the game stores (Wanpaku, Jusco, Aeon, Yamada Denki, Best Denki, Book-net) in my (smaller) town there are still copies on the shelves. I would say if there is any supply constraints they are not the norm. Perhaps this TRU just ordered a really small shipment.

That's actually really interesting. Does the ad make it clear if it was Atlus pairing the House box set with there game on the ad sheet, or is it Toys R Us pimping potential sales for there copies of House? Or is this entirely coincidental that this House DVD box set has the same release period? I want to know! :p

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
JoshuaJSlone said:
You should have these numbers too ;D

16/06/05 [NDS] Trauma Center: Under the Knife (Atlus Co.) - 5.510 / 12.428
02/12/06 [WII] Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Atlus Co.) - 3.820 / 23.409
17/01/08 [WII] Trauma Center: New Blood (Atlus Co.) - 3.100 / 3.100
07/08/08 [NDS] Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (Atlus Co.) - 5.500 / 5.500

mello said:
That's actually really interesting. Does the ad make it clear if it was Atlus pairing the House box set with there game on the ad sheet, or is it Toys R Us pimping potential sales for there copies of House? Or is this entirely coincidental that this House DVD box set has the same release period? I want to know! :p

There was only 1 copy left of Xenoblade when i went to tru on sat night near my place.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
One month since 2010 Famitsu White Paper came out and still no 2009 top 1000.
At this rate we will get 2010 first half top 100 before that.

(someone from Japan will buy Famitsu magazine after 2 weeks and post top 100 here, right?)

Anyone notice if Xenoblade has lots of used copies on the marketplace yet or not? From what I have read in the OT, the game has lots and lots of content, so it might take a bit longer than normal for people to get through it. This might help its legs a bit.

What are people predicting for upcoming games like White Knight Chronicles 2, Inazuma Eleven 3, and Dragon Quest: Victory Road?

Eteric Rice

Indyana said:
I think this is the problem. Too little, too late. Now the 3DS is coming...

Hopefully JRPGs take to the 3DS like they did to the DS. Might see some awesome stuff come out of that portable.

Predictions
[NDS] Love Plus + (Konami) - 92.000
[NDS] Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side 3rd Story (Konami) - 49.000
[PSP] My Summer Vacation Portable 2 (SCE) - 18.000
[PS3] Atelier Totori: Alchemist of Arland 2 (Gust) - 57.000
[PS3] White Album: Tsuzurareru Fuyu no Omoide (Aqua Plus) - 37.000
[360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online (Capcom) - 76.000

I think I could win if I closed predictions right now!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
[PS3] Atelier Totori: Alchemist of Arland 2 (Gust) - 57.000
Out of curiosity, after this releases, how many announced PS3 JRPGs are there left?

duckroll's comment about a weak PS3 JRPG line-up this generation got me thinking, and the only ones I could think of are FFXIV, Versus XIII, White Knight Chronicles 2, and Neptune.

Nirolak said:
Out of curiosity, after this releases, how many announced PS3 JRPGs are there left?

duckroll's comment about a weak PS3 JRPG line-up this generation got me thinking, and the only ones I could think of are FFXIV, Versus XIII, White Knight Chronicles 2, and Neptune.
Well, there's some more like Class of Heroes 2G and 3, Agarest Senki 2, Trinity: Zill'Oll Zero but to be honest, there aren't many RPG announced overall.

Atlus is silent, Tri-Ace is silent, Tales Studio is silent, Nipponichi is silent, Konami and Capcom doesn't seem to bother developing RPGs inhouse anymore, Image Epoch seems to be cooking in HD now, SEGA is silent, Level-5 is Level-5, Media Vision moving to PSP/PS3 but still silent...

Seems like it should have quite a few RPG in the oven, but all are fairly silent right now.

cvxfreak

Chris1964 said:
One month since 2010 Famitsu White Paper came out and still no 2009 top 1000.
At this rate we will get 2010 first half top 100 before that.

(someone from Japan will buy Famitsu magazine after 2 weeks and post top 100 here, right?)
*raises hand*

ZoddGutts

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, there's some more like Class of Heroes 2G and 3, Agarest Senki 2, Trinity: Zill'Oll Zero but to be honest, there aren't many RPG announced overall.

Atlus is silent, Tri-Ace is silent, Tales Studio is silent, Nipponichi is silent, Konami and Capcom doesn't seem to bother developing RPGs inhouse anymore, Image Epoch seems to be cooking in HD now, SEGA is silent, Level-5 is Level-5, Media Vision moving to PSP/PS3 but still silent...

Seems like it should have quite a few RPG in the oven, but all are fairly silent right now.

Not really an RPG game per say but Nipponichi said they plan on doing another Disgaea game for the PS3:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/13/nippon-ichi-to-focus-on-ps3-plans-new-disgaea-game/

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Atlus at least could be working on 3DS titles - the title list from E3 certainly has a few big games there. Certainly, if I was in charge of a studio that could prep an RPG for launch window on the system I would be getting it done ASAP.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm just stoked that Nier is still hanging on (barely) in the top 40 after nearly 7 weeks. Gogo Taro Yokoo you crazy bastard!

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Usedgame store buyback prices are the same as they were on launch day(4400-4800~), so I'd say no.

Cool. Perhaps a reasonable second week then? I wonder whether the sheer volume of content in the game was a happy coincidence or a deliberate ploy to nobble the rapid turnover of games in the second-hand market?

Top Bottom